Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    for a perfect example, look at Lawson's toe injury in 2009 and his ankle sprain in 2008. He missed a lot of time with both injuries. He made a full recovery, but it really took away his ability to play at full speed. hopefully, he will only miss the UNC game so we could have a shot at beating you like you beat us when Lawson missed those two games back in 08 and 09. Maybe it was only in 08 when you beat us with him out?

Yes, but

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    for a perfect example, look at Lawson's toe injury in 2009 and his ankle sprain in 2008. He missed a lot of time with both injuries. He made a full recovery, but it really took away his ability to play at full speed. hopefully, he will only miss the UNC game so we could have a shot at beating you like you beat us when Lawson missed those two games back in 08 and 09. Maybe it was only in 08 when you beat us with him out?
    In 09, all we did is win the ACC championship with Lawson out.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Well, the poster said non-season-ending injuries, so he's not suggesting the toe would be season ending. However, if it's nagging, it could cut down on Kyrie's explosiveness if he's in pain every time he tries to cut, plant, shift directions, etc. while using his big toe for leverage (and cue greybeard post about feet and toes in 3...2...1...)
    Remember back to 2009, Ty Lawson missed more time than expected with a toe injury, and then re-aggravated it during the Duke game and missed the ACC tournament, so the worry would be that this persists all year (although it did work out ok for Ty Lawson in the end that season).

I think with all the broken hearts of losing Kyrie for X amount of games, this is truly a blessing in disguise.
    1 All the players will now realize they can win big with or without Kyrie in the lineup builds super confidence.

2. Kyrie is young and tends to get those touchy reach fouls. We may need someone else to help out in the PG role later on if he goes out with foul trouble Seth, Dre, or even a deep Tyler T. Experience now will pay off major come March.

3. Kyrie is always in the game, I am sure you hear some Coach K insights riding the pine and sort of get the feeling of becoming a true floor general and coach on the floor. When he comes back he will be more vocal and more of the leader we need.

While I appreciate the sentiment that this is a blessing in disguise, I'd argue that an injury is not a blessing per se, but it can and will be an instance of lemons being turned into lemonade...for all the reasons many of you have stated above.

I see how blessing was harsh for an injury. I meant the timing of this injury as opposed to any other time in the year was a blessing. I just feel KI's injury will help get other players experience, playing time, shots, coaching that they wouldn't get with him on the floor. It is preparing us to play as a team which is what we need to win it all again.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Unfortunately the Chronicle's online archive only goes back to 1994.
    The Internet may not have the article, but I do. Here's the story from The Chronicle on 7 February 1992. I didn't save the jump. Sorry.

The story appeared at the bottom of page one. I'm far more thrilled I didn't write a bad headline (and not discover it for 18 years) than I am disconcerted that people are demanding I change my username.

At least now I know where I have all my Chronicles saved the next time I screw something up.

I know you didn't; I didn't mean to seem as if I was being overly critical. If so, mea culpa.

Ideally, I think we'd all agree, Kyrie's in there cultivating his on-court chemistry with everyone else. But as you note--and I agree--other guys will step up and that won't be a bad thing, either.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Without having any inside info, I'm doubting that Kyrie isn't at least going to suit up for K's opportunity to pass Rupp. I'm betting Kyrie really wants to be a part of that history.
    I'm betting kyrie couldn't care less...most of the guys on the team probably have no clue...not because they're ignorant, but because they have more important things to worry about than who gets to be part of K obtaining some arbitrary win total
    April 1

No worries Mike. I think the biggest concern is with Kyrie missing time like you say he is missing the chemistry building process with the team. I am also concerned that as a true freshman player of the year candidate etc. he will try and play when he shouldn't just to prove he is tough and not let the team down when in actuality he would be hurting us in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Maybe I'm missing some attempt at a joke. Not sure. But if you aren't joking then I'm confused. A high ankle sprain is a big, big deal, but I just can't imagine Kyrie has any type of toe injury that would literally be season ending.
    I am not joking at all. This has me very worried. A toe injury -- particularly a big toe -- can be almost as debilitating as a high ankle sprain. And like a high ankle sprain, it is hte type of injury that can linger until the player can well and truly rest. Just ask Antonio Gates.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I am not joking at all. This has me very worried. A toe injury -- particularly a big toe -- can be almost as debilitating as a high ankle sprain. And like a high ankle sprain, it is hte type of injury that can linger until the player can well and truly rest. Just ask Antonio Gates.
    Or Jack Lambert.

Kyrie just wants to sit out a week, in order to give someone else the chance to be rookie of the week.

He's very thoughtful that way.

How about

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Or Jack Lambert.
    Jack Youngblood, LA Rams, de..played with a broken leg in a NFL game. Go Duke!

the injury

Am I missing something or does somebody have more info than has been released by Duke?

I just watched WRAL TV (at 6 p.m.) and they reported that Kyrie would miss the Bradley game, but that his status is day to day. I was told Monday that he would probably miss Wednesday's game -- but that if it were UNC or Michigan State, he would play.

Seems to be precautionary. No release that I've seen identifying it as a broken bone or a torn ligament or even "turf toe." The only explananation I've seen is "a sprained tie" and even that's not official.

If he misses the Bradley game and comes back Saturday against St. Louis, no big deal ... a chance for Seth to play the point or maybe Nolan to slide over and let Andre start (I suspect the former). If he misses both games, still not that big a deal because that will be followed by a nine-day break before we play Elon ... and then another nine-day break before we play UNC-Greensboro. If it's really bad, Kyrie could rest 28 days -- almost a month -- between the Butyler game and when Miami visits on Jan. 2 ... he wouldn't miss a game Duke could lose.

Actually, I think the worst thing about Kyrie missing ANY time is that it robs us of a significant part of his Duke career. As great as he's proven to be, it seems pretty certain this is the only year we get from him. I was hoping that would be 40 games.

Now it looks like we'll only get him for 39 games.

PS Okay, I just read the game notes on goduke ... while no announcement on Kyrie, it does say that he's expected to miss the Bradley game.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Sorry about that, cato. I did indeed misread your first post and thought you were suggesting it might be a season-ending injury. Had I read you correctly the first time I wouldn't have responded the way I did. And while I do agree that a big toe injury can be very aggravating and debilitating, I've always felt the high ankle sprains were worse over the long haul, but that may only be because Duke has had a history with that particular injury and it always gives me the shivers when I hear about it. Not so with toe injuries, but as you said it can seriously hinder a player significantly even if they are able to be on the court.

Let's just all hope this is very, very minor. Everyone has pointed out that if it had to happen during the season, this is about as good a time as we could have hoped for.

As Mike said, official word will come out tomorrow.

Early reports from x-rays are no broken bones, but the MRI results certainly aren't the best they could be.

I'm expecting Kyrie back by the start of ACC play at the latest. As has been stated, if it had to happen this was the best time. Let's hope it doesn't linger or return.

I read on another board (from a respected member) that the results of the MRI is a severe toe sprain and he most likely will be out at least a month.

Which sucks. I know we have a lot of quality depth with Seth, Dawkins, etc. but IMO this stretch can be a critical time that the team could be working on chemisty between players which I dont think has exactly come together at this point. This team is a great assembly of talent but it isnt quite a "TEAM" yet. Seems like they are still learning how to play together.

That being said Kyrie should take as long as he needs. I dont care if we lose a game or two in the ACC or whatever, we need him in March and hopefully early April. This sucks though...

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    As Mike said, official word will come out tomorrow.

Early reports from x-rays are no broken bones, but the MRI results certainly aren't the best they could be.

I'm expecting Kyrie back by the start of ACC play at the latest. As has been stated, if it had to happen this was the best time. Let's hope it doesn't linger or return.
    YIKES!!!

Not liking the sound of this at all. Oy Vey.

I kind of hope he just sits through the UNC-G game. We're deep in the backcourt, and it wouldn't be bad for the team for other guys to get minutes. If this is the sort of injury that would benefit from extended rest, I say rest it. We need this guy healthy after 1/1, not necessarily before, and I fear a nagging injury that puts him at 90% for critical spring games.

I guess what I'm saying is: better to rest it now and be sure it'll be 100% later than hope it's good to go.