Page 16 of 76 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    This line of thinking is absolutely insane. If there was any truth to it, then you'd see coaches voluntarily benching the JJ Redick's and Stephen Curry's of the world for entire games to help their team get better.
    Maybe I should clarify. Last year we won through TEAMwork, more so than extraordinary talent. When I say they are going to only get better and stronger as a team, I am referring to their ability to stick together, and do whatever it takes to get through adverse situations. They will band together and grow from this! Up til now, there have been a lot of times in games where we are playing poorly, and Kyrie just takes over and bails us out. That's fine for now, but in March it won't cut it. The TEAM has to be great.

All I was trying to say is basically that which don't kill us will only make us stronger. And don't get so down in the dumps. This is basketball, injuries happen. Lucky for us Kyrie is not the only good player on this team.

And for the record... J.J. nor Steph had the kind of talent behind them that this team has. They definitely didn't have two senior all-americans with national championship rings. Its like comparing apples to oranges my friend.

You know, no story is compelling unless you have that "oh no" part in the middle when you want to close the book. The key in most cases is the happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Can't believe it took so long for someone to come with this viewpoint.
    To be fair, I think everyone ultimately feels that way... but it is almost a given

Hey Toe, what you doin' to that point guard of ours?
    Hey Toe, I said what you doin' with that point guard of ours?

Kyrie needs to shoot some 3 pointers
    You know, instead you got him in street clothes sittin on his can
    He needs to shoot some more free throws
    You know, instead he’s parked on the bench next to Zafirovski, man
    And that ain't too cool

Hey Toe, I've heard you slowed my point guard down
    slowed him down, now
    I said I've heard you slowed my point guard down,
    You slowed him down to the ground...

something for everyone...

FOLKS... !! please....y'all are freaking me out !!!!

the staff and team will work THROUGH it..

we have coach K, Wojo, Nate and Chris,

we have one of the best ortho-medical centers ON THE PLANET...

let's all take the pill, sit back and watch the real information come forth...do you really think seth davis knows more than anyone else? If Kyrie is out for the season, so be it...The staff and team will deal with it and play the games....

if kyrie heals up just in time to go to the nba, so be it...

If kyrie decides to come back next year fully healed, so be it....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    OK, boys and girls, y'all are in some serious need of Duke Blue colored glasses here, and I'm just the man to provide them. All in agreement, please say "aye". All who disagree, please leave the room.

1. What do we know? Not much. Kyrie has ligament damage to his toe. It's swollen. He's had all the diagnostic tests that can be initially done but results aren't conclusive (and we certainly aren't being told much, even if his parents and the coaches are.) More will be known in the next week to ten days, and I'm sure information will slowly leak out as it's known, some true, some made up by our favorite "journalists".

2. We have a team full of fabulous basketball players. We have two senior All American candidates who wear (or have in storage or on display at home) National Championship rings that came back to Duke to compete for another National Championship. We have talented big men who have the same rings and have both shown significant improvement from last year - Mason and Ryan consistently and Miles last night. We have two sophomore wing guards that are incredible all around players and shooters, one with a National Championship ring and one that contributed mightily to the effort but who was denied the ring due to NCAA rules and wants to earn his own. Dre's improvement to his overall game from last year has been evident since the first game - did any of you see the feature on him on last week's Coach K show on Sunday? He worked tirelessly on improving his shot, conditioning and defense over the summer, and it shows. And Seth Curry has the potential to be the most complete player on the floor for us. He's been in a bit of a shooting slump, but he started to come out of it last night in the second half and the sky is the limit for him. Our other two freshman - well Hairston is a bull with a nose for the ball and a deft touch, and Thornton is a blur and can burn you in a heartbeat if you let him. Great depth at point guard behind Nolan and Seth. And isn't it great that Seth got to run the Blue team all last year in practice against Jon Scheyer and Nolan Smith! He has a full year's experience playing point guard - who woulda thunk he'd have needed that this year? Wasn't that going to be Kyrie and Nolan's job, with Tyler as the third point? Funny how things work out, isn't it!

3. Anyone notice who is still sitting on the bench, wearing the black suit? Guy named Krzyzewski? He has more than just a teensy tiny bit of experience in adjusting to adversity on the fly, to changing strategy when necessary, especially when he has a few days to do it, like now. And he's flanked by some of the same guys who were on the floor to experience those changes in strategy, leading to a National Championship. Guys like Nate James and Chris Carawell. Wojo and Collins might have a thing or two to add to the mix too.

No folks, there is no need for an "All is lost" thread. Far from it. 40 - 0 may be in jeopardy, but all our other goals are still in play, with, or without, Kyrie Irving. Kyrie is an exciting, dynamic player who adds a phenomenal dimension to our play that we have rarely seen and he's a joy to watch. I hope he heals quickly and comes back this season. Duke medicine has been known to work miracles for athletes and everyday folk, and let us all hope the doctors, and God, can work one for Kyrie.
    Thanks, I needed that....so bummed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    You know, no story is compelling unless you have that "oh no" part in the middle when you want to close the book. The key in most cases is the happy ending.
    I've heard that the same can be said of Thai massages.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Having a bad toe is better than being a Heel.
    Post of the day! I'm a Duke fan as much as any of you. Geeze I muted the last 3.6 seconds of last year's game with a pillow over my head. I am freaking out if I hear one of my boys sneezed during class God forbid, didn't practice.
    I am just saying it is foolish to think a Top 5 team that plays the type of hardnosed basketball that gets you to that level you are going to have injuries on your team. It is how you deal with it as a team that makes you special.
    We have a team that our bench would be stars on a different team. We lost 3 players from a championship team & reloaded.
    What I need to see though, & don't pick on me for saying this, I need to see Nolan get that Wojo energy or J Will cockiness... remember 57 seconds in Maryland! Stop looking at K & go on guts!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    OK, boys and girls, y'all are in some serious need of Duke Blue colored glasses here, and I'm just the man to provide them. All in agreement, please say "aye". All who disagree, please leave the room.

1. What do we know? Not much. Kyrie has ligament damage to his toe. It's swollen. He's had all the diagnostic tests that can be initially done but results aren't conclusive (and we certainly aren't being told much, even if his parents and the coaches are.) More will be known in the next week to ten days, and I'm sure information will slowly leak out as it's known, some true, some made up by our favorite "journalists".

2. We have a team full of fabulous basketball players. We have two senior All American candidates who wear (or have in storage or on display at home) National Championship rings that came back to Duke to compete for another National Championship. We have talented big men who have the same rings and have both shown significant improvement from last year - Mason and Ryan consistently and Miles last night. We have two sophomore wing guards that are incredible all around players and shooters, one with a National Championship ring and one that contributed mightily to the effort but who was denied the ring due to NCAA rules and wants to earn his own. Dre's improvement to his overall game from last year has been evident since the first game - did any of you see the feature on him on last week's Coach K show on Sunday? He worked tirelessly on improving his shot, conditioning and defense over the summer, and it shows. And Seth Curry has the potential to be the most complete player on the floor for us. He's been in a bit of a shooting slump, but he started to come out of it last night in the second half and the sky is the limit for him. Our other two freshman - well Hairston is a bull with a nose for the ball and a deft touch, and Thornton is a blur and can burn you in a heartbeat if you let him. Great depth at point guard behind Nolan and Seth. And isn't it great that Seth got to run the Blue team all last year in practice against Jon Scheyer and Nolan Smith! He has a full year's experience playing point guard - who woulda thunk he'd have needed that this year? Wasn't that going to be Kyrie and Nolan's job, with Tyler as the third point? Funny how things work out, isn't it!

3. Anyone notice who is still sitting on the bench, wearing the black suit? Guy named Krzyzewski? He has more than just a teensy tiny bit of experience in adjusting to adversity on the fly, to changing strategy when necessary, especially when he has a few days to do it, like now. And he's flanked by some of the same guys who were on the floor to experience those changes in strategy, leading to a National Championship. Guys like Nate James and Chris Carawell. Wojo and Collins might have a thing or two to add to the mix too.

No folks, there is no need for an "All is lost" thread. Far from it. 40 - 0 may be in jeopardy, but all our other goals are still in play, with, or without, Kyrie Irving. Kyrie is an exciting, dynamic player who adds a phenomenal dimension to our play that we have rarely seen and he's a joy to watch. I hope he heals quickly and comes back this season. Duke medicine has been known to work miracles for athletes and everyday folk, and let us all hope the doctors, and God, can work one for Kyrie.
    Thank You! Thank You! Great post. I'm sitting at work, getting infuriated reading all of this negative stuff. I find it extremely disrespectful to the great athletes and coaching staff that we are blessed with to act like all is lost because one person may or may not be done for the season. They'll regroup and continue the pursuit of the ultimate goal!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    It ain't over 'til it's over.

Still information to gather.
    This is such important advice for this situation and for life in general!

The dynamics for this team have changed unexpectedly, but the talent level for the rest of the team has not. Coach K is quite the role model for making the best any coaching situation. Expect to see adjustments with the same goals as before.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    Kyrie Irving was the dynamic point guard that completely changed Duke's style of play, therefore, changing the identity. Obviously, he isn't the identity. But when people thought of Duke, they thought fast-style of play. Because of who? Kyrie Irving. Without him we will likely have to play at a pace similar to last year's team.
    So is he or isn't he the identity? I'm confused, because earlier you said he "was the identity of this team" which is what I was disagreeing with. Now you say he obviously isn't.

All kidding aside, it is truly impossible to know the identity of this team right now. The season isn't finished, and this team hasn't finished writing its story. Maybe this team's identity becomes that of a team who overcame extreme injuries and many obstacles en route to a 2nd consecutive national championship, while putting its coach at the top of the record books along the way. But there is no way to know yet, but its definitely not solely Kyrie Irving.

As far as last years pace is concerned...I thought that worked out pretty well for us don't you??

More of the same

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...n=ncaab-293400

More of the same possibly no Kyrie for the rest of the year.

From the "If I didnt laugh, I'd cry Department"

Somehow... I'm reminded of this nugget of wisdom from John Winger..

I'm gonna volunteer my leadership to this platoon. An army without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. And Sergeant Hulka isn't always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe... Sergeant Hulka.

Simply put, someone has to seize the opportunity and step up.

Kyrie last night

Here's a picture from before the Bradley game. He certainly looked bummed beforehand. Get well soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Somehow... I'm reminded of this nugget of wisdom from John Winger..

I'm gonna volunteer my leadership to this platoon. An army without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. And Sergeant Hulka isn't always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe... Sergeant Hulka.

Simply put, someone has to seize the opportunity and step up.
    Now this is simply priceless

Thanks for giving me something to smile about.

Michael Scott might as well have been talking about Kyrie and Duke basketball. Guys will step up. We'll be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXE17HkZZO0

Do y'all remember how K re-worked the offense over 2-3 days after Hurley's broken foot? That year turned out quite nicely. (yea, I know, that G. Hill fellow doesn't have any eligibility remaining) I wonder whether he might be able to come up with a similar plan this year...

I feel very bad for young Mr. Irving.

This reminds me of the Boozer thread.
    ~rthomas

To lift everyones spirits...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LanCLS_hIo4

Don't worry about a thing, cause every little thing is gonna be alright!

How long is rehab on a torn toe ligament that is surgically repaired? That's worst case scenario, right? 3 months? 4 months? 6 weeks?