Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    It is very concerning to hear this about Kyrie. The good news is I think this Duke team is still the best team in the country. Don't forget we have Singler and Smith, two first-team all-american caliber players that can lead the way when needed. Unfortunately, now their roles have gone from "when needed" to "needed from now until Kyrie comes back." Duke still has plenty of firepower; however, I expect Duke to shift to a halfcourt offense much like last year. In this style, it is familiar to the players as they won a national championship doing it. I also think a roster of Singler, Smith, Miles and Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Andre Dawkins, and Seth Curry can beat anyone in the country. If this team plays with pride and intensity and wants to show they are still the best in the country without star PG kyrie irving, watch out future opponents.

OK, boys and girls, y'all are in some serious need of Duke Blue colored glasses here, and I'm just the man to provide them. All in agreement, please say "aye". All who disagree, please leave the room.

1. What do we know? Not much. Kyrie has ligament damage to his toe. It's swollen. He's had all the diagnostic tests that can be initially done but results aren't conclusive (and we certainly aren't being told much, even if his parents and the coaches are.) More will be known in the next week to ten days, and I'm sure information will slowly leak out as it's known, some true, some made up by our favorite "journalists".

2. We have a team full of fabulous basketball players. We have two senior All American candidates who wear (or have in storage or on display at home) National Championship rings that came back to Duke to compete for another National Championship. We have talented big men who have the same rings and have both shown significant improvement from last year - Mason and Ryan consistently and Miles last night. We have two sophomore wing guards that are incredible all around players and shooters, one with a National Championship ring and one that contributed mightily to the effort but who was denied the ring due to NCAA rules and wants to earn his own. Dre's improvement to his overall game from last year has been evident since the first game - did any of you see the feature on him on last week's Coach K show on Sunday? He worked tirelessly on improving his shot, conditioning and defense over the summer, and it shows. And Seth Curry has the potential to be the most complete player on the floor for us. He's been in a bit of a shooting slump, but he started to come out of it last night in the second half and the sky is the limit for him. Our other two freshman - well Hairston is a bull with a nose for the ball and a deft touch, and Thornton is a blur and can burn you in a heartbeat if you let him. Great depth at point guard behind Nolan and Seth. And isn't it great that Seth got to run the Blue team all last year in practice against Jon Scheyer and Nolan Smith! He has a full year's experience playing point guard - who woulda thunk he'd have needed that this year? Wasn't that going to be Kyrie and Nolan's job, with Tyler as the third point? Funny how things work out, isn't it!

3. Anyone notice who is still sitting on the bench, wearing the black suit? Guy named Krzyzewski? He has more than just a teensy tiny bit of experience in adjusting to adversity on the fly, to changing strategy when necessary, especially when he has a few days to do it, like now. And he's flanked by some of the same guys who were on the floor to experience those changes in strategy, leading to a National Championship. Guys like Nate James and Chris Carawell. Wojo and Collins might have a thing or two to add to the mix too.

No folks, there is no need for an "All is lost" thread. Far from it. 40 - 0 may be in jeopardy, but all our other goals are still in play, with, or without, Kyrie Irving. Kyrie is an exciting, dynamic player who adds a phenomenal dimension to our play that we have rarely seen and he's a joy to watch. I hope he heals quickly and comes back this season. Duke medicine has been known to work miracles for athletes and everyday folk, and let us all hope the doctors, and God, can work one for Kyrie.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by JMarley50 View Post
    I think this injury can only help the TEAM get better and stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    This line of thinking is absolutely insane. If there was any truth to it, then you'd see coaches voluntarily benching the JJ Redick's and Stephen Curry's of the world for entire games to help their team get better.
    I think calling the idea insane is a bit excessive. I think adversity often leads to a more cohesive, effective unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Very well said. Anyone here that thinks this injury is only a "bump in the road" or some such thing simply does not understand how valuable this kid is/was to us. Kyrie not only had the ability to be a one man fast break; he not only had the ability to create for himself or a teammate if an offensive set was stagnant; he not only was shooting lights out from long range; he not only was creating havoc for every defense that faced him; he not only was our best/quickest perimeter defender... And the list goes on and on and on. This injury absolutely does change everything! Anyone that thinks all this does is bring Duke down to everyone else's level is fooling themselves.

Now, having said all that, am I saying the season is over? Of course not. But don't fool yourself into thinking that everything is still fine and dandy. This injury affects everything this team was planning on doing both offensively and defensively. For one thing we now no longer have the ability to really press like we wanted to on defense. For another thing we are not going to be able to really lock down on the quicker point guards we face.

We'll adjust, but don't kid yourself folks. This is a big, big, deal.

And I just feel sick to my stomach for Kyrie. He was playing absolutely spectacular bball in these early weeks, and he was clearly on track to not only be ACC Freshman of the year, but potentially the NCAA Player of the Year. He was playing well enough for that to be a real possibility!

Get well soon, young man. You have our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.
    Agree with this precisely. This injury is very different than the one to say, Boozer, although that came at a worse time and to another important player - remember what K said before the season - he tailored the team this year to Kyrie. By losing Kyrie, other players will get to step up, but K will have to adjust the strategy for the players who are available - if we (cross my fingers) get Kyrie back after a period of time, depending on the length of time, do we go back to the original offense (tailored to Kyrie)? Or what the team has gotten used to (not tailored)? Very big problem.

I'm not worried about the team or the fans. We'll all be fine. I feel bad for Kyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Irving plays against Maryland. Mark it down.
    I have my calendar out. Which Maryland game did you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    This injury absolutely does change everything! Anyone that thinks all this does is bring Duke down to everyone else's level is fooling themselves.
    Well, I agree this changes everything, no doubt about it. But the people who say all this does is bring Duke down to everyone else's level are right. Without Kyrie, we will certainly lose a few games, but who is truly better than we are? Kansas? Ohio State? I haven't seen either of them play yet this year, but from what I read maybe yes, maybe no. Pitt, Michigan State, UConn, Kansas State, Syracuse? I doubt it. We're still top five, probably top three, and maybe number one (not talking about polls, but rather where we deserve to be rated). Isn't that the definition of coming down to everyone else's level?

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Kyrie just tweeted out, "Situation not looking good, and I'm not feeling good."
    Nobody feels good right after a major injury. I have no idea how much time he'll miss but I think it's premature to assume he'll miss the season (or even give it a 55% chance). To me this feels a little like Elton Brand's injury in 1997-98. I'm hoping for similar timing on the return and if he comes back sooner, great. If he doesn't come back, we'll just have to live with it. No use brooding about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    Terrible, Terrible news.
    I'm sorry, but what happened to Andre last year was "terrible, terrible news." I think this falls into the category of "damn shame."

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    This line of thinking is absolutely insane. If there was any truth to it, then you'd see coaches voluntarily benching the JJ Redick's and Stephen Curry's of the world for entire games to help their team get better.
    That is not the point. While I will argue with you that coaches have in fact sat players for "the good of the team" this is not the same. This is an injury, and the team will have to play without KI for a while. They will not be better immediatly without KI, but it will give others a chance to gain invaluable experience and build depth for when KI comes back. That is the key, him coming back. If he doesn't come back then I agree with you that this is not good no matter how we spin it.

It's a real shame. We had the fastest engine in the race and now we have to replace it with a very good but a little older, and a bit slower model. I wish our trainers had not given the ok to put him back on the court this past weekend. I am a believer that it's always best to err on the side of caution, but their the consultants and it's their fault if their decission is wrong not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I wish our trainers had not given the ok to put him back on the court this past weekend. I am a believer that it's always best to err on the side of caution, but their the consultants and it's their fault if their decission is wrong not mine.
    Why do you think their "decission" will have an effect on the extent of the injury? I haven't heard anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    OK, boys and girls, y'all are in some serious need of Duke Blue colored glasses here, and I'm just the man to provide them. All in agreement, please say "aye". All who disagree, please leave the room.

1. What do we know? Not much. Kyrie has ligament damage to his toe. It's swollen. He's had all the diagnostic tests that can be initially done but results aren't conclusive (and we certainly aren't being told much, even if his parents and the coaches are.) More will be known in the next week to ten days, and I'm sure information will slowly leak out as it's known, some true, some made up by our favorite "journalists".

2. We have a team full of fabulous basketball players. We have two senior All American candidates who wear (or have in storage or on display at home) National Championship rings that came back to Duke to compete for another National Championship. We have talented big men who have the same rings and have both shown significant improvement from last year - Mason and Ryan consistently and Miles last night. We have two sophomore wing guards that are incredible all around players and shooters, one with a National Championship ring and one that contributed mightily to the effort but who was denied the ring due to NCAA rules and wants to earn his own. Dre's improvement to his overall game from last year has been evident since the first game - did any of you see the feature on him on last week's Coach K show on Sunday? He worked tirelessly on improving his shot, conditioning and defense over the summer, and it shows. And Seth Curry has the potential to be the most complete player on the floor for us. He's been in a bit of a shooting slump, but he started to come out of it last night in the second half and the sky is the limit for him. Our other two freshman - well Hairston is a bull with a nose for the ball and a deft touch, and Thornton is a blur and can burn you in a heartbeat if you let him. Great depth at point guard behind Nolan and Seth. And isn't it great that Seth got to run the Blue team all last year in practice against Jon Scheyer and Nolan Smith! He has a full year's experience playing point guard - who woulda thunk he'd have needed that this year? Wasn't that going to be Kyrie and Nolan's job, with Tyler as the third point? Funny how things work out, isn't it!

3. Anyone notice who is still sitting on the bench, wearing the black suit? Guy named Krzyzewski? He has more than just a teensy tiny bit of experience in adjusting to adversity on the fly, to changing strategy when necessary, especially when he has a few days to do it, like now. And he's flanked by some of the same guys who were on the floor to experience those changes in strategy, leading to a National Championship. Guys like Nate James and Chris Carawell. Wojo and Collins might have a thing or two to add to the mix too.

No folks, there is no need for an "All is lost" thread. Far from it. 40 - 0 may be in jeopardy, but all our other goals are still in play, with, or without, Kyrie Irving. Kyrie is an exciting, dynamic player who adds a phenomenal dimension to our play that we have rarely seen and he's a joy to watch. I hope he heals quickly and comes back this season. Duke medicine has been known to work miracles for athletes and everyday folk, and let us all hope the doctors, and God, can work one for Kyrie.
    All I can say is Amen.

If it was possible...

I would chop my big toe off and send it to Kyrie. Then I would chop my other big toe off for equilibrium, and to show my dedication to Duke basketball.

Anyone else down for a toe sacrificing? The basketball gods are hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    Per Seth Davis via twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/SethDavisHoops...88231917920256

Don't know for sure if he has any inside info regarding his >50% statement, but it seems increasingly like this is not going to turn out well. Hopefully he is wrong.
    Ok, first of all HOW would you calculate odds on this?? You would have to base it on historical data. You would have to have intimate knowledge of the exact type and severity of the injury and then you would have to be able to have access to hundreds if not thousands of similar cases in which to compare. Even then you are basing your estimate on averages, which anyone who knows about stats can tell you are not very meaningful in cases like this. So, I would not put a whole lot of confidence in what Seth Davis says.

Now, if the leading "toe injury of the type Kyrie has expert in the world" would say that it is 55% likly that he will not be back, then I may worry a little, but even then I would believe that KI is in the 45% that would be back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    I would chop my big toe off and send it to Kyrie. Then I would chop my other big toe off for equilibrium, and to show my dedication to Duke basketball.

He can have my whole foot. I'd give him my leg but my whiteness would only mean he could no longer dunk.

Having a bad toe is better than being a Heel.

Hey while we are at it can we get a big toe nail for Nolan... dude has one ugly big right toe nail... saw that on the inside access show.

I truly hope Kyrie will be ok and am thankful I got to see someone that talented play. He is an amazing basketball player! The best Freshman I have EVER seen on a basketball court. Thanks for enrolling at Duke Kyrie and get well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Hey while we are at it can we get a big toe nail for Nolan... dude has one ugly big right toe nail... saw that on the inside access show.
    You can use my other toe for scrap parts.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    I'm not worried about the team or the fans. We'll all be fine. I feel bad for Kyrie.
    Can't believe it took so long for someone to come with this viewpoint.

I've never been a, "The glass is half full" type of person, but if there was ever time to be one, now is the time.

I thought this was the Duke Basketball Team, not the Kyrie Irving and Others Team, like some of you are making this situation out to be. I am fully aware this kid is a supreme talent and gives us something we haven't had for a long, long time, but please don't shortchange the rest of the kids.

All this talk about having to completely rethink the way the team plays offense and defense is a bit extreme. Yes, things will change, but the "new" style won't exactly be new. It will be similar to what we've ran the past few years and since the vast majority of the team has played in that system we shouldn't have much difficulty going back to that style, especially since we have several more games to reinstall that system.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    All this talk about having to completely rethink the way the team plays offense and defense is a bit extreme.
    Well, to be fair, Coach K said almost exactly this at last night's press conference.

That said, I agree with you that now is the time for glass half-fullness.