Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    There is a lot we do not know, but we do know this:

-Kyrie is in the best medical situation possible, with the resources’ at DUMC and the ability to bring in national experts
    -Kyrie will not sit back and malinger, he is a tuff young man, and he will be working very hard to get back, so if it is at all possible it will happen
    -We have as deep a backcourt as there is in the country, so we are in good shape to take a major hit like this and actually not miss much of a beat
    -K has proven time and again that he can adapt, and I am sure he will again

So, considering we cannot control any of this, I am going to choose to focus on what we do know and stay positive. Get well soon KI!!

Avoiding any speculation regarding Kyrie's possible return, I'm just going to wish him all the best. If, as has been indicated, this is a ligament injury, it's vital that he does not rush getting back. Pain and/or weakness in that toe would really hamper his explosiveness. He needs to take time letting the ligaments heal before he tries to return to gameplay. I'd rather lose the enjoyment of watching him play this year than see him end up with a chronic or nagging problem that would in any way bother his career down the road.

Kind of hard to sugarcoat how much this sucks. With that said, there's obviously a lot of speculation that is just that (Seth Davis just tweeted that there's a "55%" chance Kyrie's done for the year).

As others have said, the team is still talented enough to be there at the end, and an injury to Kyrie, as talented as he is, isn't the most damaging to title hopes -- Mason being hurt would be worse (because we have better depth at guard than inside, where we're weaker). Still, we're now back to our "point-less" situation, where we have a lot of talented combo guards trying to play point, and maybe Kyle with a more prominent point-forward role if we adjust our offense a bit.

I am curious to see how our team evolves and what adjustments K makes, and I wish all the best to Kyrie for the quickest possible recovery.

Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    As others have said, the team is still talented enough to be there at the end, and an injury to Kyrie, as talented as he is, isn't the most damaging to title hopes -- Mason being hurt would be worse (because we have better depth at guard than inside, where we're weaker).
    Gonna have to process that statement for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Agreed. I will go ahead and say that Kyrie is the one I LEAST wanted to see injured. Of course, I don't want anyone to be injured but Kyrie was the identity of our team.

Oh my Lord people...calm down or you are liable to be mistaken for Kentucky or Carolina fans.
    Last night we started 5 players who are NCAA Champions. 'Dre went off for 28 points. Okay I realize that 28 points against Bradley isn't the same as 31 points against K State but 28 points is 28 points.
    At first this team looked so confused but they settled down nicely. Did any of you notice how hard Kyrie was studying the game & it seemed like he was coaching Nolan. He is learning people & that is a good thing. There is also no more Kyrie watching by the team either.
    If Kyrie is able to come back this season, he is going to come back with fresh legs that John Wall didn't last year.
    Heal Kyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by PADukeMom View Post
    Oh my Lord people...calm down or you are liable to be mistaken for Kentucky or Carolina fans.
    Not to pinpoint you in particular, but I don't think there's anything wrong with being concerned about this situation. We built our entire offensive and defensive strategies around having Kyrie out there. While I'm sure that we can and will adjust, we are going to have to play a significantly different style of ball if he's out for an extended period of time. Even Coach K said last night that this "changes everything." With the kind of expectations that we have for this team, that's a really big deal. I'm not proclaiming that "it's over" or any such nonsense, but I don't know how Duke fans can't be somewhat concerned.

Check Yourself

Last night we started 5 players who are NCAA Champions. 'Dre went off for 28 points. Okay I realize that 28 points against Bradley isn't the same as 31 points against K State but 28 points is 28 points.
    At first this team looked so confused but they settled down nicely. Did any of you notice how hard Kyrie was studying the game & it seemed like he was coaching Nolan. He is learning people & that is a good thing. There is also no more Kyrie watching by the team either.
    If Kyrie is able to come back this season, he is going to come back with fresh legs that John Wall didn't last year.
    Heal Kyrie.
    We're FANS - this is what we do!

Uh, yeah - Bradley is NOT K-State.

If Kyrie heals, fantastic. If not, it presents potentially serious issues. Everything may, indeed, be fine. But we're not all going to become ostriches, either.

Heal Kyrie.
    Agree.

Duke minus Kyrie is still better than all but possibly (and emphasize possibly) a handful of teams in the country.

The champ, after opening strong, just got hit with a punch to the chin and was staggered; but it came in the 2nd round of a 15-round fight. Don't count the champ out. Our guy in the corner has been through this before and he's the best in the country.

Heal Kyrie.
    I don't think anyone is really that much worried about our team, but the whole Duke fanbase was excited to watch Kyrie Irving, maybe the best point guard in the Nation, and give us a weapon that we haven't had since Jason Williams. Kyrie is dynamic, exciting, and overall a good kid and we hate to see a great kid like that have to, quite possibly, sit out an entire year that got off to such a great start.

I, for one, was very excited every time Kyrie stepped on the court and I pray he comes back next season.

Per Seth Davis via twitter:

Duke fans should brace themselves for worst re Irving. Won't know til next week at earliest but I'd say 55 pct chance he's done for year.
    http://twitter.com/#!/SethDavisHoops...88231917920256

Don't know for sure if he has any inside info regarding his >50% statement, but it seems increasingly like this is not going to turn out well. Hopefully he is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Alright, before I'm tried for starting a food fight on this thread :-), I meant the statement as a "glass half-full" thing which didn't come out well. Of course, you never want to lose your best player. It's an interesting discussion as far as which poison is more palatable (worse to lose your best player at a position where you have some cover, or to lose a very good player in an area of relative weakness?), but such an academic discussion clearly isn't appropriate with such an emotionally charged topic.

I do have concerns about the inside play and how it evolves regardless of the state of the roster, but that's a discussion for another thread. Let's all carry on wishing the best for Kyrie and the team.

Deeper than last year...

Even without Kyrie, you can make the argument that this team has the tools to repeat. For one thing, this team is much deeper than last year, and having Curry eligible and Dawkins much improved is a huge advantage for this team. Mason has also developed, and I think that he will be much more dominant as the season continues.

We won the whole thing last year playing a very different style of basketball than the kind we've seen the first few games. Perhaps the glitz and the glamour of having a flashy point guard has made us forget how effective just taking care of the ball, and methodically dissecting the opposition with smart bball is?

Kyle, Nolan, Miles and Mason haven't forgotten that style. Especially Coach K. Its a blessing in disguise that this team is pretty experienced playing 2 different styles of basketball. Either way, one thing doesn't change, defense can take you a long way in the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    Per Seth Davis via twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/SethDavisHoops...88231917920256

Don't know for sure if he has any inside info regarding his >50% statement, but it seems increasingly like this is not going to turn out well. Hopefully he is wrong.
    Yeah... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is pure and total speculation. You know why? Because no doctor or medical professional would use 55% chance to describe a situation like this. I think Seth is just making up tweets to seem like he's got the inside scoop.

Irving plays against Maryland. Mark it down.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Yeah... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is pure and total speculation. You know why? Because no doctor or medical professional would use 55% chance to describe a situation like this. I think Seth is just making up tweets to seem like he's got the inside scoop.

Davis is a fool, and often wrong, but I'm not sure it helps to balance pure speculation with more speculation.

While I agree with you, it is still hard to hear that someone who may be hearing a little more then us behind the scenes believes there is a better chance Kyrie doesn't play again this year, then there is that he does. I hate to be pessimistic, but it is still very tough to hear.

The one thing that gives me some hope, is that this is somewhat similar to Boozer's injury in 2001. If I remember correctly many people were thinking that he would be done for the year but he only ended up missing 5 or 6 games.

Can someone please add some perspective for me? I'm really struggling to grasp all this negative news. I understand how fragile a season can be because with one injury, the entire outlook changes. In a perfect world, Kyrie is healed up by Feb. 2nd at Maryland.

Now, the two things that have kept me from looking for the highest building to jump off have been: Last year Falcons QB Matt Ryan had turf toe that was regarded as pretty severe, and missed just 2 games. Obviously, the positions of QB and PG are different but that was at least encouraging.

Second: In 1992, Bobby Hurley missed time to a broken foot, which obviously was the last time Duke went back-to-back Champs. I'm grasping for straws I know, but here's to hoping Kyrie makes a speedy recovery.

By the way...

Take a quick look at our games in the tourney last year (especially vs. West Virginia) if you need a reminder of how good this team can be even without a road runner playing point. I still think Curry being eligible, Dawkins playing great ball, Mason developing and being the equal to Zoubs on the boards and certainly scoring-wise, and having Kyle and Nolan seasoned veterans makes up for a whole lot... guys this team is still top notch. Let's watch this develop. You may see another Coach K masterpiece.

I'm not sure it's pure speculation. You're right that no doctor would use that percentage, but no athlete gets an opinion from one doctor. If Seth Davis had sources telling him what the doctors were recommending, and took what he knew of Irving and the program's decision making into account, I could see how he would come up with that number.

On the other hand, here is a report by Jeff Goodman claiming that it is a little less likely that he is done. Goodman seems to think that he will miss the year only for surgery and only one doctor so far has recommended surgery. Goodman thinks that surgery is unlikely, however.