Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeballer2294 View Post
    its confusing to me that k would make comments about him coming back from this setback earlier today on goduke.com but then after the game make drastic comments like this...
    I think much of this is because K is really unconcerned about what the general population knows or doesn't know about injuries on his team (he specifically called out Roy for blabbing on and on about his team's injuries), I think this leads to his not being especially discriminatory in his statements about them...if he contradicted himself slightly, then he really doesn't care because will know when K feels it's important for them to know
    1200. DDMF.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like they are going to try to rehab it over the next month, month and a half, and if he doesn't respond to treatment he'll have to undergo surgery and miss the season. That's why there is so much uncertainty about how long he will be out for.

For now we should wish him a speedy and full recovery.

I also am very impressed that despite the injury he seems to be fully into the game. The TV broadcast last night showed Kyrie talking to Nolan before the game in a very animated way about an offensive play.

This shows a great attitude, which, in my mind, leads to faster recoveries.

Get well soon, Kyrie.

A few other things about Kyrie's injury. We still have 5 players that are capable of scoring 20+ points a night on this team. The big men are also devloping their games nicely.

With Kyrie's injury I imagine the discussion of going undefeated will die down and the psychological pressure on the team related to this should subside.

This team is still fun to watch and getting Kyrie back soon will only be a bonus.

Let's enjoy the journey.

(Can you tell that I am an optimistic person.)

Man... this is about as heartbreaking an injury as I've ever seen in my time as a Duke fan. Hated K's postgame comment about him possibly being out for the year

But yeah, he is a good kid and stayed into it... notice him doing the "Let's Go Duke!" fist pump chant coming into the second half? Good kid.

Does anybody know when we can expect an official diagnosis and timetable from the Duke staff? I apologize if I missed it earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    devildeac called it early; post #29 in this thread.
    Thanks, roy. Thought about starting the thread and another poster even suggested that a couple days ago, but I just left my post in this thread, thinking it would end up being merged and part of a mega-thread.

I know that DBR is generally a forum of intelligent conversation and deep analysis...

... but can I just post that Kyrie's injury makes me very sad? If necessary I can elaborate and write an in-depth analysis of the psychology of sadness, but at the moment I am too sad.

Looking forward to seeing Kyrie back in a Duke uniform.

Kyrie may be my favorite duke freshman of all time and thats saying alot for me, but I honestly think Duke is still the major favorite to cut the nets down with or without him. I said at the beginning of the season, this team could withstand an injury and still be the best in the nation!

With that being said, "Dear Santa, I want to change my Christmas list and now all I want is Kyries toe to heal properly and as soon as possible!"

serious buzz-stripper thinking he is done for the season and then done at duke

let's hope he heals quickly and returns ala boozer for the fracas at the end of the year...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    serious buzz-stripper thinking he is done for the season and then done at duke

let's hope he heals quickly and returns ala boozer for the fracas at the end of the year...
    Or a la Ty Lawson... that seemed to work out just fine for them!

I'm just going to go throw up now.

The problem with "turf toe" type injuries is, even when you feel you're good enough to play on it, the chance of re-injury in competitive sports is high. NFL players typically have entire seasons ruined by this injury, because they keep coming back too early. Hopefully a few weeks in the boot will be all Kyrie needs...

wow... this is bad news... I was thinking they were just going to let him rest until conference play... If he is out the entire season, that is horrible news. I know that we are an excellent team depth wise.. But, I feel like he is the key to our success this year.

Wow

This really sucks. The prospect of a 7 game collegiate career is really depressing.

Trying to look on the bright side, however, I'm hoping that at the end of the season we're all marvelling at either (i) how well Kyrie healed and reintegrated himself into the team, or (ii) the sacrifice Nolan made, giving up his natural position and scoring average to become All-ACC running the point 35 minutes a night, for the good of the team. If Kyrie doesn't come back, it would not shock me at all if, over the course of the season, Nolan and Andre become a great backcourt in their own right.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I think much of this is because K is really unconcerned about what the general population knows or doesn't know about injuries on his team (he specifically called out Roy for blabbing on and on about his team's injuries),
    This is revisionist history and therefore false. What was then 850 The Buzz mangled K's post game comments to appear as if he was referring to Roy. When the actual post game comments were posted they were nothing like what had been reported by The Buzz. This was a matter of the media manipulating the rivalry.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    This really sucks. The prospect of a 7 game collegiate career is really depressing.

Trying to look on the bright side, however, I'm hoping that at the end of the season we're all marvelling at either (i) how well Kyrie healed and reintegrated himself into the team, or (ii) the sacrifice Nolan made, giving up his natural position and scoring average to become All-ACC running the point 35 minutes a night, for the good of the team. If Kyrie doesn't come back, it would not shock me at all if, over the course of the season, Nolan and Andre become a great backcourt in their own right.
    any chance he might return next season?

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Assuming the injury is season-ending, the money question is - Would Kyrie come back or not? And, to be blunt, why would he?

Of course, the other money question is - Can we win it all without him? Yes, I know, we CAN win it without him, but the hill gets MUCH steeper and the odds much greater.

Hopefully, he comes back in-season and we just forget about those two questions.

Quote Originally Posted by papa whiskey View Post
    Does anybody know when we can expect an official diagnosis and timetable from the Duke staff? I apologize if I missed it earlier in the thread.
    In his post-game presser, Coach K repeatedly said that "analyses are being made" and they wouldn't know more for another 10 days or so.

Looks like we just have to plan for games (potentially the season) sans Kyrie.

Based on last night's experiments, a couple of observations:

Nolan has the experience to attempt to run the point.
    But he is not a natural PG, and will have to adjust (interesting that we said something similar about Scheyer a year and a half ago.)
    Some of the adjustments---he will have to sacrifice much of his scoring...Nolan is a much better catch and shoot 3 outside shooter than a dribble/step back shooter. Many of Nolan's successful drives in our offense come from being fed the ball while slashing. Nolan doesn't have the kind of Kyrie-type skills to get his own shot and AT THE SAME TIME, run the point.

All that being said, I feel slightly better about Nolan adjusting to the point (especially defensively) than I did when Jon was forced into a similar position.

I don't think Tyler is near ready enough for long minutes at the point. I wish he were. Hope I am wrong about that.

On the upside, Dre looks perfectly suited for long minutes at the two position, both offensively and defensively. He also rebounds well.
    Seth is going to log more minutes also and needs to make the most of each minute he has on the floor.