AR Gives His Opinion of the Heels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub9X1h42shQ

Hard to argue with the man!!

No, it's not. I can't wait for him to join our team, but he has a very short basketball memory if he really believes that.

Does this mean, then, that we have no rivals at all? Maryland and North Carolina are out for sure.

Austin Rivers - not a man of subtle ambiguity, eh? Well, he talks like he plays.

By the way, SI's Luke Winn was on Jonah Keri's podcast last week and, after assessing Duke post St John's game ('I still think they are a FF team') began waxing rhapsodic about Mr. Rivers, saying that after watching him this summer in the Jr Worlds, that he thinks he will have many Jimmer style scoring outbursts as a freshman. According to Winn, should Irving come back to team up with Rivers, the Tri Plums, Andre and Seth, Tyler and Josh, and the other frosh, we're going to be a problem. As a famous sith once said, 'Come to the dark side, Luke'.

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    No, it's not. I can't wait for him to join our team, but he has a very short basketball memory if he really believes that.

Does this mean, then, that we have no rivals at all? Maryland and North Carolina are out for sure.
    He is just having a little fun at UNC's expense... Kinda how all 3 of the UNC freshman wanted to gang up against Kyrie last year in the draftexpress videos. He is obviously a kid with a lot of swagger and hopefully next year he will be backing it all up.

Yeah, he's just having fun with it and obviously doesn't believe that UNC isn't our rivals. Having said that, it will provide some fodder for UNC fans when he comes to town next year. He could be the most hated guy since JJ there! Also, once he comes to Duke, no way Coach K would let him get away with saying that...but for now, I see it as just fun. Certainly not close to Marshall or whoever it was calling Coach K a rat while he was standing next to KI last year.

Here's Austin's twitter exchange with PJ Hairston:

PJ:
    Ayyy! I like that @AustinRivers25 interview, motivates a lot for next season!
    We not a rival? Come on @AustinRivers25 we had that one off year bro. Who whooped y'all a** 4 years before this?
    Austin:
    @pjhairston_15 I didn't mean to talk about the history of the rivalry, cause it's the biggest one in sports, duke/UNC trade off wins!
    I will say this tho bro! @pjhairston_15!! We going to win this year haha!! Let's goo duke, man gatta love the rivalry!
    PJ:
    I love this rivalry haha! Me and @AustinRivers25 gone do our thing regardless cause we both know we got hatred comin from both sides lol
    Last edited by Bluedog; 02-04-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: inserting ** as it didn't pass the filter

He's obviously not going to be saying that once he's here, but in a way I kind of like that he's good enough to be that cocky. You need a guy with some edge and swagger, and AR is good enough to pretty much not worry what he says because he can back it up.

I also kind of like that these younger guys - on both sides - seem to be getting into the rivalry a little bit more. I'm not talking Art Heyman-style, but I appreciate when a player kind of puts himself out there for my side in the rivalry. In the era of just-stopping-by-for-a-year-between-AAU-and-the-NBA, it's nice seeing these hotshot recruits get emotionally invested and indentifying with their role in our historic obsession!

not to be captain obvious....but did you notice that he did not say anything disparaging about the Tar Heels' coach...

just some team v. team smack....no thugness...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post

Not true. We have St. Johns!

BTW, is it just me or is it annoying that the 'heels conveniently forget that they DID lose to Duke (more than once!) during the Hans-travel years? Selective memory makes for poor arguments...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    ... Also, once he comes to Duke, no way Coach K would let him get away with saying that...but for now, I see it as just fun. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    He's obviously not going to be saying that once he's here, but in a way I kind of like that he's good enough to be that cocky. You need a guy with some edge and swagger, and AR is good enough to pretty much not worry what he says because he can back it up.
    If not Coach K, I'm sure his DAD will have a heavy hand on stuff like that...

Top 10 moments in AR's high school career per Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,5565742.story

"duke is one of the best DEFENSIVE shools out there.......that's why i decided to go there so i could become a better player".

wicked WICKED crossover...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    not to be captain obvious....but did you notice that he did not say anything disparaging about the Tar Heels' coach...

just some team v. team smack....no thugness...
    Thank you MoonPie, that is exactly what came to my mind. Who cares that the kid is engaging in some banter about our friends down the road we all do it, at least he is mature enough and wise enough not to call Roy a name.

I think he is in the running to be my future favorite player on next years team!

Hope he's a classy version of H.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Lets hope he gets off to a little better start than HB too!

Quote Originally Posted by JMarley50 View Post
    Lets hope he gets off to a little better start than HB too!
    and a better finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    You want him to be a classy underachiever with a ridiculous self-given nickname?

I hope Austin's as good as HB THINKS HB is!

That video makes me cringe. I understand that he is young, enthusiastic, etc., but his awareness of history goes back only one year. Comments like that only get the opposition going; see Ginyard, Marcus. Of course he is a kid and just joking around, but I prefer seeing these things play out on the court rather than on the microphone.

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    That video makes me cringe. I understand that he is young, enthusiastic, etc., but his awareness of history goes back only one year. Comments like that only get the opposition going; see Ginyard, Marcus. Of course he is a kid and just joking around, but I prefer seeing these things play out on the court rather than on the microphone.
    Ditto. I do not see this as a positive, and recall us ripping opponents who do the same thing.

Of course, if you back it up it ain't bragging. So you better bring it, AR, 'cause we gotta go to Chapel Hill and play.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Ditto. I do not see this as a positive, and recall us ripping opponents who do the same thing.

Of course, if you back it up it ain't bragging. So you better bring it, AR, 'cause we gotta go to Chapel Hill and play.
    I LOVE it.

The act itself is not particularly egregious, but it says volumes about Austin's confidence. We lose Nolan and Kyle and possibly/likely Kyrie. We will NEED a leader next year, and it sounds like Austin is ready for the role!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    You want him to be a classy underachiever with a ridiculous self-given nickname?

I hope Austin's as good as HB THINKS HB is!
    Be careful b/c unfortunately HB is starting to play pretty well. I dislike the crap he pulled with his recruiting as much as the next guy and I REALLY enjoyed the fact that he had struggles at the beginning of the year, but he's starting to come on.