Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke12 View Post
    He is wearing a boot on campus today and I am pretty sure his toe is broken. Toe much better than a foot and downtime should be manageable.
    Have you heard that his toe is broken, or are you inferring that from the boot? I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think a boot is often used to protect a sprained toe, just as it is used to protect a broken one.

If he's wearing a boot today, in either case, I doubt he'll be playing Wednesday. As others have noted, an opportunity for the team to work with Nolan and Tyler running the point, and for Tyler and Seth to get more game time, which will help us in the long run. But any injury is unfortunate, and I wish Kyrie the best in getting over this injury.

He's not playing Wednesday. He'll be shut down for a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I don't doubt you, but any public link on this yet? Would be curious to read a little more.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Well, that's significant news. Thanks for the info.

As noted in earlier posts, there are some positive things that may come out of some lineup changes for a few games. Injury is never welcome, but this comes at a fairly good time, it appears.

This platoon is a foot...and Sgt Irving is our big toe.

(If you're not sure what that's paraphrased from, picture Bill Murray saying it and then put "Stripes" on your Netflix cue immediately)

Did we need any more proof about Kyrie being a true Duke guy?

He joins a long and distinguished list of Duke basketball players with foot injuries of one sort or another.

Get well soon, Kyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I don't doubt you, but any public link on this yet? Would be curious to read a little more.
    No public link yet that I know of. You can squash this if you'd like, but it's been posted on other boards as well so I figured it was fair game to post here.

Kyrie will be fine, it's just the prudent thing to do for the stretch of games we're in...

Is it too much to hope that he is just wearing the boot because it is cold outside?

"It's over."

No public link yet that I know of. You can squash this if you'd like, but it's been posted on other boards as well so I figured it was fair game to post here.

Kyrie will be fine, it's just the prudent thing to do for the stretch of games we're in...
    Not intended to be a "provide a link or don't say it" kind of question. Really just curious to hear more. And anyway, you've earned a healthy dose of credibility around these parts for news on the program, and so get more leeway than a first-time poster who showed up with news that Kyrie's foot was going to be amputated (or something ludicrous like that).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    "It's over."
    hahaha...great reference.

Coach K and the team knew it wasn't over in 2001 when Carlos went out.

And Bluto knew it wasn't over:

What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
    Otter: [to Boon] Germans?
    Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
    Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...

Understood. Didn't think you were saying that, I just understand and appreciate the caution shown by DBR wrt posting unsubstantiated rumors and wouldn't be upset if the post was removed until further confirmation was shown.

I don't believe we have much to worry about here...

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    By the way, I'd love for this to be an opportunity to get Curry some touches and get him going, as opposed to Thornton. It was of course a very different situation, but Curry averaged 20 points per game two years ago, including two very strong games against ACC competition. This isn't a guy who I would expect to basically go scoreless in any game this season, and yet here we are. As skilled as Curry is, It would be in Duke's best interest to have him fully functional for a potential title run. I view it as imperative to get him acclimated to the flow of the game.
    I love Thornton, but I think you're right. I don't think he'll be an integral part of our lineup this year, no matter how things shake out. I think the potential payoff would be much higher from getting Seth going - not to mention he's expected to start opposite Austin Rivers in the backcourt next year, so we could do worse things than give him some experience running the team.

The one thing that worries me is that Seth appears to be a slightly shaky ballhandler. It's weird, because he has such great touch, but he seems to have to look down while dribbling a lot and kind of loses the ball a fair amount. I think it might just be him adjusting to the speed of the game, but he's just not snapping the ball off the ground with confidence like Smith and Irving. Hopefully that improves, both this year and over the summer.

ETA: This could also be a great opportunity for Nolan to audition for the pros. By default, I'd guess he'll be the primary PG over the next few weeks. Can he make the most of it?

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    This platoon is a foot...and Sgt Irving is our big toe.

(If you're not sure what that's paraphrased from, picture Bill Murray saying it and then put "Stripes" on your Netflix cue immediately)
    The world needs more Sergeant Hulka references.

Link

Here's a quote from an article on ESPN. According to them it's just a sprained toe.

But Irving saved his best for last, scoring 17 of his 21 points in the second half, including two key 3s that put away the Bulldogs. Irving said he sprained his right toe and was limping noticeably after the game. But he did make another appearance in the game even after hobbling off the court.
    Here's the article. It's a 3rd of the way down under Player of the Week
    http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/pa...tch1002/week-2

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I love Thornton, but I think you're right. I don't think he'll be an integral part of our lineup this year, no matter how things shake out. I think the potential payoff would be much higher from getting Seth going - not to mention he's expected to start opposite Austin Rivers in the backcourt next year, so we could do worse things than give him some experience running the team.

The one thing that worries me is that Seth appears to be a slightly shaky ballhandler. It's weird, because he has such great touch, but he seems to have to look down while dribbling a lot and kind of loses the ball a fair amount. I think it might just be him adjusting to the speed of the game, but he's just not snapping the ball off the ground with confidence like Smith and Irving. Hopefully that improves, both this year and over the summer.

ETA: This could also be a great opportunity for Nolan to audition for the pros. By default, I'd guess he'll be the primary PG over the next few weeks. Can he make the most of it?
    Seth also seemed to be having trouble staying in front of his assignments defensively against Butler. That concerns me a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozyb View Post
    Here's a quote from an article on ESPN. According to them it's just a sprained toe.

Here's the article. It's a 3rd of the way down under Player of the Week
    http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/pa...tch1002/week-2
    This news is more current than that. Still, I want to reiterate that Kyrie could go if we needed him to but since we don't, he'll rest. Maybe this will get Seth going in the right direction and cause Nolan to take a little better care of the ball. It couldn't have come at a better time...

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Did we need any more proof about Kyrie being a true Duke guy?

He joins a long and distinguished list of Duke basketball players with foot injuries of one sort or another.

Get well soon, Kyrie.
    I feel like I've posted this before, but it seems to me that as a team Duke suffers far more serious foot injuries, including breaks, than would be expected on average (if there can be such thing). I've always wondered if there is something at the Cameron floor that contributes to it. Just reading the Featherston story about going undefeated, and thinking about Hurley's broken foot reminded me of it.

Bad news for Kyrie, but the positives are that hopefully he can continue to do some conditioning, some light practice, is not out for too many games and can use the long stretches during the holidays to get back to 100%. And it gives Seth and Tyler more court time to get ready for the ACC and postseason.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I've always wondered if there is something at the Cameron floor that contributes to it. Just reading the Featherston story about going undefeated, and thinking about Hurley's broken foot reminded me of it.
    I realize I'm taking your comments slightly out of context, but Hurley broke his foot in Chapel Hill...

The 17-0 Blue Devils were winning a brutal battle in Chapel Hill, when late in the first half, point guard Bobby Hurley suffered a broken foot.
    ...and Irving re-injured his toe in the Izod Center, so I don't think we can blame it on the Cameron floor.
    Bob Green

Kyrie was wearing a boot and did not practice today. I talked to Nolan and he said that Kyrie would be fine by Wednesday. As to whether he actually plays is still to be determined.