Thread: Basketball IQ

Basketball IQ

Yahoo has a really nice article up about then importance of Basketball IQ. Kyle Singler is one of their 5 IQ All-Americans. The article bemoans that players seem more interested in flashy highlights than really becoming a student of the game.

“ESPN never shows a guy stepping in and taking a charge,” Florida coach Billy Donovan said. “They never show a player getting into perfect position to grab a rebound and secure a win.

“Instead the Top 10 plays are of someone getting dunked on or a guy making some crazy, no-look pass. As a result, kids aren’t learning about the things that really go into winning.”

A few years ago, after Donovan went over some defensive schemes during one of Florida’s first practices of the season, he was approached on the sideline by a freshman.

“Coach, I don’t understand this stuff,” the player said. “I feel like I’m in calculus class.”
    Puh-lease! Like Donovan's players take Calculus

Seriously, one of the things they mention briefly in the article is guys who recognize mismatches. I noticed in yesterday's game that Maryland began playing that freshman from Iceland, Haukur Palsson. Palsson was guarding Kyle when Kyle went off for 11 points in a row to begin the process of Duke putting the game on ice. While Kyle made a few tough shots in that run, it felt like he was getting where he wanted and what he wanted almost every time down court. I suspect he recognized a freshman who could not effectively guard him and he went to town on the kid.

That, my friends, is what basketball IQ is all about.

-Jason "the article, though largely obvious, is still a good read" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Freshman IQ

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Seriously, one of the things they mention briefly in the article is guys who recognize mismatches. I noticed in yesterday's game that Maryland began playing that freshman from Iceland, Haukur Palsson. Palsson was guarding Kyle when Kyle went off for 11 points in a row to begin the process of Duke putting the game on ice. While Kyle made a few tough shots in that run, it felt like he was getting where he wanted and what he wanted almost every time down court. I suspect he recognized a freshman who could not effectively guard him and he went to town on the kid.

Nice article. I would think that basketball IQ becomes even more important in the 1-and-done era. Kyle and Kyrie were stars right from the first day because of their BBL IQ.

By the way, Palsson was on the bench for the first 7 points in Kyle's big run. Those trying to guard Kyle during his run: Mosley, Tucker, Tucker, Palsson, Palsson.

Neal

There are some people who just get it. They see patterns of the whole game and not just the ball or the person they're matched up against.

The IQiest people at Duke in recent memory for me have been Shane Battier and Jon Scheyer. On this team I like Kyle and I get the same vibe from Ryan.

Then there those who seem faster and actually are faster than everyone else. That's just not fair. I'm thinking about Jason Williams and Kyrie Irving in particular.

Kyle. Speaking of basketball IQ. He's essentially playing the Kobe Bryant role in our offense - and in our defense. On defense, he's been consistently guarding the other team's shooting guard and in essence showcasing some real NBA talent.

There's also a lot of technique in basketball IQ. Kyle definitely displays his technique combined with his instinct to be at a high level on a consistent basis. It seems that Kyle has about 15 sweet spots on the court and he exploits them. On defense he gets rebounds and draws charges from every position - showcasing brilliant anticipation, strength, and savvy.

I often tell young players that basketball IQ is the difference between a 5 year pro career and a 10-15 year pro career. If you can't evolve with the game then it will pass you by. Larry Johnson had a bad back? No problem - he became a dead on 3-point shooter. MJ couldn't jump anymore so he learned to fall back. Grant changed his diet, workout routine, and worked on his jumpshot. Bruce Bowen couldn't shoot a lick but he learned to hit that corner 3 - which not only spread out the defense and opened up the court for Duncan and co but it also bailed out the offense from time to time. And so on and so forth...

But as much as we bemoan the lack of "skills", youth basketball is more organized than ever. And regardless of all the tricks and moves a kid can learn - the cream will still rise to the top.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yahoo has a really nice article up about then importance of Basketball IQ. Kyle Singler is one of their 5 IQ All-Americans. The article bemoans that players seem more interested in flashy highlights than really becoming a student of the game.

Puh-lease! Like Donovan's players take Calculus

I will give you another one. Duke/UNC 2005 in Cameron. Coming out of a timeout with 20 or so seconds left, Duke holding a 1 point lead. JJ is guarding McCants. As the ball is being inbounded, JJ recognizes the play UNC wants to run from remembering seeing it on game tapes. He knows the play calls for McCants to receive a pass from Felton on the left wing. JJ jumps the passing lane preventing Felton from making the pass that starts the play. Felton panics, and UNC never even gets a shot off. Ball game.

Though JJ lacked the physical gifts that McCants had, his basketball IQ allowed him to defend the better athlete and help his team secure the win.

Basketball IQ is just a huge asset. I wish more kids these days would understand that.

One of the previous threads should have read basic math instead of calculus. Basic math is Gainesville's answer to calc. It's their version of new math. I suspect they allow calculators on test days.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Kyle. Speaking of basketball IQ. He's essentially playing the Kobe Bryant role in our offense - and in our defense. On defense, he's been consistently guarding the other team's shooting guard and in essence showcasing some real NBA talent.
    I am going to have to be on the lookout for this. I had not noticed this.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I too, saw the article yesterday. Glancing through it, all I noticed were the names of a few pros and former pros. Even though they had Kyle's photo ahead of the link, I suppose as a tease, my scan didn't see his written name within.

Good original post from Jason and others listing examples of Duke players exhibiting the 'intelligence trait' that do prove their successes on the court. I would add only one other important skill that walks hand-in-hand with game IQ. This would be, creative mental vision. This trait is a bit more than simple intuition or instinct. Anticipation relates to an understanding of the tendancies that an opponent may possess. A highly intelligent and creative player has the ability to use this skill for his own movements on the floor, with additionally, the understanding of where his teammates will tend to be. This comes from either past experience with those teammates or instruction from the coaching staff.

Players that lack the talent of height, speed or jumping ability(these were always in my bio ) can well make up for such. I think the best example I've ever witnessed was Larry Bird. Sure, he had the above listed talents, but he also had the creative vision, which gave him the intelligence. He used that intelligence to know exactly what was the best position the court for him to be, in order to get the maxium results from his talents. He also knew when, to be where.

shane_battier.jpg PLUS math.jpg

sam sez: "dad, shane battier uses MATH, you can't beat that !!!"
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

IMO no one in Duke's history had a higher game I.Q. than Jon Scheyer. Not the most athletic player we've had. Not the most talented. But when all was said and done he had run the team on the court after being thrust into that position at the end of his junior year and when he graduated we had our forth banner. Give Coach K a smart point guard (JWill, Jon Scheyer, or a Hall of Fame coach's son, B.H.) to coach and it leads to a NC.

Another one for the Duke list

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    IMO no one in Duke's history had a higher game I.Q. than Jon Scheyer. Not the most athletic player we've had. Not the most talented. But when all was said and done he had run the team on the court after being thrust into that position at the end of his junior year and when he graduated we had our forth banner. Give Coach K a smart point guard (JWill, Jon Scheyer, or a Hall of Fame coach's son, B.H.) to coach and it leads to a NC.
    Showing my age a bit, I think a case could certainly be made for Jim Spanarkel as being in the elite of "smart" Duke basketball players.

Not understating any of his physical talents (fundamentally good but not flashy) the way he played the game showed significants skills that, in many cases, were simply accomplished by "outsmarting" the opposing players.

As for the Scheyer/Battier race - that's a close one - both had great court awareness but I might give a slight edge to Shane due to his overall physical skills/size.

Just my 2¢ worth.

k

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post

As for the Scheyer/Battier race - that's a close one
    let's see how jon does in the pros for a few years...shane is already a well documented IQ guy in the pros...

i think jon will be too...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

NBA Coach agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    Showing my age a bit, I think a case could certainly be made for Jim Spanarkel as being in the elite of "smart" Duke basketball players.

Not understating any of his physical talents (fundamentally good but not flashy) the way he played the game showed significants skills that, in many cases, were simply accomplished by "outsmarting" the opposing players.
    k
    Also showing my age a bit, I seem to recall that during his brief stint in the NBA, one of his coaches (at Dallas I think) complimented his IQ and said he wished he had a whole team of Spanarkels.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    let's see how jon does in the pros for a few years...
    If Jon makes an NBA roster I predict he will be the best one-eyed Jewish player EVER in the NBA.

I make light of a bad situation, but the injury sounds seriously career threatening. Part of Jon's genius is his ability to process information throughout his entire range of vision, including the PACE of each player. Jon knows how and where to position himself with the ball to best influence the flow of the other players and to best enhance his team's position. I think his ability to influence action with the ball sets him above Shane, who was more of a savant in understanding what the other team was running offensively or defensively and continuously positioning himself in the optimal spot in the precise, most advantageous stance.

Jon reminded me very much of Spanarkel. Jim wasn't fast, couldn't jump, wasn't very strong and certainly didn't have dazzling ball-handling skills; but he was always first to loose balls, grabbed key rebounds in traffic, never lost a ball he got his hands on, consistently penetrated past and through future NBA guards, and could somehow always create a good shot for himself.

My question is, can Jon or Shane coach others to have their level of court awareness?

Irving

I'll add to this discussion by saying that I wish we were having the chance to see Kyrie's basketball IQ. In the first eight games, although his speed, shooting, and handle were outstanding, I also appreciated his amazing ability to anticipate where the ball would go and his ability to see a pass that most guards would never see. Hoping we see more of that in a Duke uniform.