Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I feel like I've posted this before, but it seems to me that as a team Duke suffers far more serious foot injuries, including breaks, than would be expected on average (if there can be such thing). I've always wondered if there is something at the Cameron floor that contributes to it. Just reading the Featherston story about going undefeated, and thinking about Hurley's broken foot reminded me of it.
    Which floor? I think this is Duke's third since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I realize I'm taking your comments slightly out of context, but Hurley broke his foot in Chapel Hill...

...and Irving re-injured his toe in the Izod Center, so I don't think we can blame it on the Cameron floor.
    I know - but the point is wear and tear -- they practice every day there for far more hours than they play games (whether Cameron or not) and it seems like every year we have one of these. If I put together a list of all the guys who've suffered broken feet or had similar issues, I think it would look like a lot.

I can start with Hurley, Boozer, Brand, Irving, Paulus, Zoubek and Collins. Remember this thread?
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    He's not playing Wednesday. He'll be shut down for a few games.
    I agree that if it had to happen, this stretch would be the best time for it, but if it is serious enough for him to be totally shut down for multiple games, it is somewhat concerning to me. Earlier this year Miles dislocated a finger against Miami and continued to play with it in the next game against a weak opponent in Colgate. Having Kyrie literally sit out multiple games sounds pretty extreme if it is indeed not serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Actually, it just says that it is doubtful that he'll be 100% by Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Which floor? I think this is Duke's third since 1992.
    Maybe it's what's under the floor. I don't know. But this has been discussed on this site before, so other people are thinking it too.
    Singler is IRON

If I put together a list of all the guys who've suffered broken feet or had similar issues, I think it would look like a lot.

I can start with Hurley, Boozer, Brand, Irving, Paulus, Zoubek and Collins. Remember this thread?
    I'm not disagreeing with the fact Duke player's have suffered an inordinate number of foot injuries, I just believe it is a stretch to look at Cameron as the underlying cause. Doesn't the team practice in the new practice facility these days?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    I agree that if it had to happen, this stretch would be the best time for it, but if it is serious enough for him to be totally shut down for multiple games, it is somewhat concerning to me. Earlier this year Miles dislocated a finger against Miami and continued to play with it in the next game against a weak opponent in Colgate. Having Kyrie literally sit out multiple games sounds pretty extreme if it is indeed not serious.
    A finger is a little different than a sprained big toe. This is a repeat injury. The move is a cautionary one. Kyrie could go if needed, but he won't be.

Boys and girls, Kyrie hurt his toe playing at the Izod Center, not in Cameron. He was just fine until he did whatever he did to it midway in the second half. Don't go blaming the floor in Cameron, or the Izod Center, for this particular injury.

That said, when Kyrie went to the bench and took off his shoe, I immediately called Devildeac to see if they were saying anything on the radio about the injury, fearing he may have broken his 5th metatarsal (I was sitting in the end zone seats in the Izod Center, behind Kyrie's back and couldn't see where the trainer was working on his foot, so I feared the worst). When he put his shoe back on and jogged around, I reported it back to DD and be both started breathing again!

If the toe is bruised, the best thing Kyrie can do is stay off it for a week or two to truly let it heal. Otherwise, it'll linger and bother him all season, and every time it gets stepped on, it'll hurt like the dickens. Not that any of our fine competitors would intentionally step on his tootsie...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    A finger is a little different than a sprained big toe. This is a repeat injury. The move is a cautionary one. Kyrie could go if needed, but he won't be.
    Thanks Airowe. Good to hear reassuring things from you!

I'm not disagreeing with the fact Duke player's have suffered an inordinate number of foot injuries, I just believe it is a stretch to look at Cameron as the underlying cause. Doesn't the team practice in the new practice facility these days?
    Probably right. But if we all agree that we suffer a lot of foot injuries - and more than should be expected - then there are two options: 1. coincidence, bad luck; or 2. some causation which is worth speculating about (or maybe not).
    Singler is IRON

"Is it the Shoes? Is it the Shoes? Is it the Shoes? … Money, it's gotta be the shoes." and "Do you know?, Do you know?, Do you know?" --- Mars Blackmon

Really, makes one wonder.

Kyrie just tweeted "I'm alright."

Yeah, but

Probably right. But if we all agree that we suffer a lot of foot injuries - and more than should be expected - then there are two options: 1. coincidence, bad luck; or 2. some causation which is worth speculating about (or maybe not).
    Do we really know that Duke players suffer an unusually high number of foot injuries? I don't really know that to be true. I agree it seems that way, but I don't follow other teams as closely, and I don't trust my own sense of this. Didn't James Worthy have a broken foot in college? Did Michael Jordan break his foot early on in his NBA career? Didn't Ginyard miss a year due to a foot injury? Maybe there is some sort of gravitational anomaly in the research triangle.

I do remember Daniel Ewing being diagnosed with a foot condition that was a precursor to having a broken foot and wearing devices in his shoe during part of the season. He never got a broken foot. As I recall, the way in which his condition was diagnosed was fairly cutting edge at the time.

Wink

Does Duke have the best medical school in the country? Can they fix a toe? If they can get Boozer back on the floor to win a national championship then they should be able to help Kyrie with a toe injury.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    Does Duke have the best medical school in the country? Can they fix a toe? If they can get Boozer back on the floor to win a national championship then they should be able to help Kyrie with a toe injury.
    A little R&R will help Kyrie and will help other players develop in this stretch of games. He should take the next two games off - focus on exams- and play again on 12/20. That is a good two weeks of rest.

Also Duke does not have the best medical school but they do work on toes.

I feel like I've posted this before, but it seems to me that as a team Duke suffers far more serious foot injuries, including breaks, than would be expected on average (if there can be such thing). I've always wondered if there is something at the Cameron floor that contributes to it. ...

... it gives Seth and Tyler more court time to get ready for the ACC and postseason.
    How long has Duke worn Nike shoes? mj has serious pull at Nike, maybe there has been some tampering with shoes sent to Durham. Maybe we need our biomedical engineering taking a look at the shoes. Or Greybeard.

This could be a GREAT opportunity for Tyler to win a spot in the rotation, but I don't think he will get much PT PT (prime time playing time), unless Seth struggles with ball handling or on D staying in front of his man. Hopefully, Tyler will play much of the second half with the game out of reach.

This is also a great opportunity for Seth to get into the flow offensively and defensively. Question to those that follow the tracking of the line-ups, when we go with 2 bigs but no Kyrie, who is in more, Seth or Dre?

I would think that Seth will get the start to help Nolan with ballhandling, and could well see us also starting Dre over Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Question to those that follow the tracking of the line-ups, when we go with 2 bigs but no Kyrie, who is in more, Seth or Dre?
    Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Kelly (13-4, x2, 9)
    Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Miles (16-11, x4, 5)
    Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Kelly-Miles (9-9, x1, 0)
    Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Hairston-Miles (2-2, x1, 0)

Thornton-Curry-Singler-Mason-Miles (4-0, x1, 4)
    Smith-Curry-Singler-Kelly-Miles (3-0, x1, 3)
    Thornton-Curry-Singler-Mason-Kelly (5-3, x1, 2)
    Thornton-Curry-Peters-Hairston-Miles (0-2, x1, -2)
    Smith-Curry-Singler-Mason-Miles (2-5, x1, -3)
    Thornton-Curry-Peters-Hairston-Kelly (0-3, x1, -3)
    Thornton-Curry-Peters-Hairston-Zafirovski (10-14, x2, -4)

Only two Smith-Curry-Singler lineups, for a total of 5-5. Smith-Dawkins-Singler has been used more often, for a 40-26 result.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke