Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I am a Suns fan next season; Go Grant!

Fox Sports is reporting that Grant's agent Lon Babby has said that Grant will sign with Phoenix, for the "biennial exception" of 1.83M. After two mega contracts, and an early career as a major endorser (GM, Sprite), Grant obvioulsy didn't need to hold out for the veteran's exception (around 5 M) he might have received from other teams.

I won't say Grant necessarily puts Suns over the top next year, as he simply makes them stronger on the wings, where they are already strong (Marion, Barbosa, Diaw, Raja Bell). But this was already the 2d or 3d best team in the nba (SA and, notwithstanding playoff flameout, Dallas). This just makes them better.

They were already fun to rot for, and now even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector Vector View Post
    They were already fun to rot for, and now even more so.
    I love rotting for sports teams. What's really nice is that up here in the Emerald city, when you rot, you can get a nice, deep green moss on you, which conveniently is the primary color of the Seattle Supersonics.

"So, it's rot, rot, rot for the hometeam!"

(Sorry, it's a VERY quiet day in the office.)

Not at all certain that I have ever seen a Suns game (at least in modern times, ie since Connie Hawkins, who I loved). But I will now. Grant can add a very useful dimension to any good team.

I hope he stays healthy and turns out to be the missing piece for them. He has perservered through so many tough injuries that must have been so frustrating, esp. to someone who played at such a high level (all-star, highlight reel).

I'm looking forward to hearing the official announcement and can't wait to see them tear it up next year. Of course the Spurs probably won't so quietly into that good night.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Not at all certain that I have ever seen a Suns game (at least in modern times, ie since Connie Hawkins, who I loved).
    Wow, that was almost 40 years ago!

It's not much of an exaggeration to say that I can't stand to watch the NBA unless the Suns are playing.

The Suns of Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Three hundred and sixty five posts already? It must be very slow out there. Here in Beantown, we don't have time or the permissions to go to message boards during work hours... Hope you are doing well...

I was a fan of the Suns when they had a guy from Clemson by the name of Larry. I remember TC and KJ and of course Thunder Dan and the rest of the crowd. Yes, I suffered through the loss in 6 to MJ. Okay, I even had some like for Charles while he was there.

Unfortunately, I agree with one other poster(HV) that GH doesn't necessarily put them over the top in the West. I think better interior defense was really the item on the menu.
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 07-05-2007 at 06:59 PM.

I really liked the Suns' draft also, considering where they picked. Alando Tucker is a shooting guard who can't shoot, but a phenomenal strength and energy guy and a great teammate, who can provide some very effective minutes. And I loved D.J. Strawberry against us -- great athleticism and defense.

Nash has taken point guard play to a new level in the last three years. Steve Kerr, IMO one of the smartest and most personable guys ever to play professional sports, just became the new GM. What's not to love about this team? (Maybe not enough outside shooting if Raja Bell goes down, and inside muscle, especially if they dump Kurt Thomas.) Unfortunately, I'm moving out of Arizona in a couple of weeks.

Phoenix plays small ball, rarely plays zone, and doesn't use its bench. Grant should feel right at home.

Seriously, for those who don't follow the NBA, the Suns are the polar opposite of the things that many folks don't like about the NBA. Up-tempo all the time, they don't stand around, and use little of the sumo wrestling that passes for post play in the East. Great ball movement led by the best passer on the planet. They are always entertaining and they win lots of games while being entertaining.

Looking forward to seeing Grant fit into the team. The $64K question is what are they going to do with Marion. He's the third option and has suggested that he'd rather be higher up the food chain. He mainly plays the 4 so moving him shouldn't impact Grant unless they trade him and don't get value.

John Kincaid

I am not sure if any of you non-Atlantans are familiar with this clown - he has the ride home radio show on a sports radio channel here in atlanta, and also a sunday morning show on ESPN.com. Anyway, i turned it on this afternoon, and Kincaid was going to town on Grant - saying that he robbed Orlando blind for his entire Contract, that his Grant was a sissy and refused to play through pain, and that he didnt deserve to go to a contender and try and play for a championship. I was shocked when I heard it, as I have never heard anyone, even Duke haters, say anything negative about Grant (except that he is injury prone). I immediately got on the phone and tried to get through to the show to point out that Grant's coming back to soon and trying to play through pain probably caused him to miss more time, that his injuries led to some serious infections, that it isnt his fault the NBA has a guaranteed money CBA, and that he is taking pennie (compared to what he could probably get) to go and play with a winner.

Perhaps I am "too close" to the situation - but that really made me mad.

Jason Smith, the ESPN "Up-all-Night" guy who does overnight radio had the exact opposite reaction to Grant signing with the Suns. He said it was a great signing and that Grant would go fabulous there in Phoenix. He added that folks have forgotten just how special a player Grant Hill was. In his words, "Grant Hill was Lebron James before Lebron came along."

Hill could do it all. His stats before the injuries were ridiculous. His 2nd year in Detroit he went for 20 ppg, 10 rpg, and 7 assists per game. He was not quite the scorer that Lebron has become but he excelled in all facets of the game the same way Lebron does.

Smith went on to say that the course of the NBA changed as a result of Grant's injuries. He said that if Grant did not get hurt, Grant would have been the face of the league going into the 2000s after Jordan retired. Instead, with "good guy" Grant Hill out the way for a while, the face of the league became guys like Iverson, Marbury, Stevie Franchise, and other unsavory types. Smith said it is a pity that injury robbed all of us and the NBA of the greatest years of Grant Hill's career. Jason said that Orlando would have won a title if Grant had been healthy and that we'd be talking now about where Hill ranks among the all-time greats. Instead, it seems unlikely that Hill even makes the Hall of Fame.

I am not sure I totally agree with what Smith says, but it was great praise for a guy whose career took a sad and unexpected turn. I do agree that Grant could have been one of the greats. I expect him to play a meaningful role for Phoenix this coming season. his ability to see the floor and make stellar passes will mesh so beautifully with the Suns style of play. I suspect you will see him on the floor whenever Nash is not, so Phoenix can keep a great paseser in the game at all times. When the two of them are together-- wow, it will be fun to watch. I also think Grant will help Phoenix a lot more than folks realize as he still plays great defense. Phoenix needs that from him for sure.

-Jason "I think this could make it easier for Phoenix to make a deal to get rid of Marion" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I have never heard anyone, even Duke haters, say anything negative about Grant (except that he is injury prone).

Perhaps I am "too close" to the situation - but that really made me mad.
    If you've never heard it...it's coming...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...3181457.column

Quote Originally Posted by keithg View Post
    If you've never heard it...it's coming...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...3181457.column
    Maybe I am wrong, but did Orlando even try to re-sign him?

Also, I find it quite amusing that an Orlando reporter is complaining about Grant being a mercinary when Grant left Detroit for Orlando. It is not like Grant was a lifetime Magic member who got his start with the team. Orlando bought his services several years ago and now Phoenix is buying his services.

It is not like Grant pulled a Shawn Kemp and gave up trying after signing a big contract. He got hurt and kept on getting hurt. It is hardly his fault this happened. It is unfortunate for everyone involved. But, news flash, free agents tend to move around to new teams.

I gave up hoping free agents would stay with their hometown teams when Tom Glavine left the Braves because they offered him a 3-year, $32 million dollar deal and he took the Mets 3-year, $35 million deal instead. The fact that the Braves had paid him about $80 million dollars already in his career or that he had been with them since he was drafted in 1984 did not seem to matter to him versus 1 million more per year. Feh!!!!

-Jason "me, bitter? no way!!" Evans

Hill doesn't "owe" the Magic anything.

Notice the change in the opinions of sportswriters and fans. When Grant was working his way back to the NBA, oh and this was after he almost died, everybody praised him for his work ethic and his decision not to sit back and collect his fat paycheck like every other NBA player does. Grant is lucky he can walk, let alone play at the level he did last year. For Grant to play like he did last year was an accomplishment in itself and ORL fans should be happy for him. But now, they're angry because he didn't do more.

It's the same thing that NBA fans do when their team signs a new free agent. They have certain expectations, and even if they are unrealistic, the player is at fault when he doesn't fulfill those expectations.

It is just amazing the comments that are being directed towards Grant... considering that the people who are doing the talking would be claiming disability for the rest of their lives if they had a near-fatal staph infection.
    Last edited by jaimedun34; 07-06-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Suns, Jazz, and Clippers

Will vie for my attention out west.

Can't wait to see Grant on PHX, I think he is a great fit and will give them a great sixth man to put in. The question now is, do you trade Diaw for Maggette or another legit big man to help against Duncan?

There are some whiners, but I think the fan/pundit impression of Grant is overwhelmingly positive. One of the unfortunate casualties of his injuries is that we lost a high-profile great ambassador for Duke. He's still a great ambassador, just at a lower level than what might have been.

Can anybody point me to primary quotes of Glenn Robinson talking trash prior to the '94 elite 8 game?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I love rotting for sports teams. What's really nice is that up here in the Emerald city, when you rot, you can get a nice, deep green moss on you, which conveniently is the primary color of the Seattle Supersonics.

"So, it's rot, rot, rot for the hometeam!"

Just wanted to say KUDOS. EarlJam totally appreciates this kind of stuff.

-EarlJam

P.S. UNC can rot in HELL!

Grant Hill implications...

Shawn Marion says he wants out of Phoenix...which to me would imply lots of playing time for Grant? Anything I am missing here?

Marion mainly plays the 4 for Phoenix.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Marion mainly plays the 4 for Phoenix.
    ... and I'm not convinced he's going anywhere.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”