Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Grant Hill to Phoenix

I think one of all of our favorite Dukies is Grant Hill, well rounded, multi-talented, polite, articulate, and a brilliant guy on many fronts. I was talking with a friend who grew up Duke with me (he has since attended Chapel Hell and become a turncoat) and watched and loved Grant. I sincerely hope that next year we see Grant on the NBA floors around the country, the question is with whom?

As DBR said, the Raptors are a team looking for some veteran leadership to get them a little farther along in the playoffs, and in Phoenix he could be a talented piece to the "everyone does everything well" offense that D'Antoni runs.

One place where I think he could work well is with the team that lost the finals last night. With Lebron, Grant would be a guy who can set him up, hit open shots, play good d, and provide some veteran leadership beyond the capabilites of one Eric Snow. If they could get Grant and a player like a Jamal Crawford or Stephon Marbury to add scoring, it could put them over the top.

Almost everything I have heard has Grant returning to the Pistons. DEtroit will likely undergo some major changes this off-season (bye bye to Billups and likely Rasheed) and they would probably like having a steadying veteran influence in the locker room. Plus, Grant still has strong ties to the community up there and I think his family wants him to go to Detroit.

-Jason "I'd love to see Grant get on a team where a championship was possible-- Detroit does that" Evans

Grant missing piece for 2008 Eastern Conference champs?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Almost everything I have heard has Grant returning to the Pistons.
    I think that would be a great way for him to have a shot next year as well. The Raptors are interesting with Chris Bosh and T.J. Ford really coming into their own, and I think Bargnani has a lot of potential as he showed late in the season.

It would be great to see Grant raise the trophy, and Detroit could pay him back for not getting him some of the best advice or not having him take time off after his initial ankle injury. A 2 year contract to the tune of 8-10M per could make things a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by thebur View Post
    I think that would be a great way for him to have a shot next year as well. The Raptors are interesting with Chris Bosh and T.J. Ford really coming into their own, and I think Bargnani has a lot of potential as he showed late in the season.

It would be great to see Grant raise the trophy, and Detroit could pay him back for not getting him some of the best advice or not having him take time off after his initial ankle injury. A 2 year contract to the tune of 8-10M per could make things a little better.
    My bet is that Grant will not get anything close to that. Most teams will try to sign him for the veteran exception, which is around 4-5 million per year, I think. It is also possible he will give some team a discount if they are just the situation he wants and he would sign for about a million a year with them.

Frankly, I don't think the money means all that much to a guy who has made 124 million bucks in his career so far (plus probably another 40 million + in endorsement dollars).

-Jason "its good to be the Grant" Evans

Almost everything I have heard has Grant returning to the Pistons. DEtroit will likely undergo some major changes this off-season (bye bye to Billups and likely Rasheed) and they would probably like having a steadying veteran influence in the locker room. Plus, Grant still has strong ties to the community up there and I think his family wants him to go to Detroit.

-Jason "I'd love to see Grant get on a team where a championship was possible-- Detroit does that" Evans
    I don't think Detroit has any shot at the title if Billups and Sheed bolt; I'd personally like him to go to San Antonio.

Grant the Piston

The Pistons just dumped their backup 3/2, Carlos Delfino, giving him to Toronto for 2nd round picks this year and next. Leaves a pretty big opening for Grant.

Grant should contact the Spurs...or the Spurs should contact Grant. Especially since he wants to play for a contender and the Spurs are likely to be in it next season. And if I were the Spurs I'd try to trade up in the draft to get McBob too.

Buster Olney was just on ESPN talking up Grant Hill to Phoenix. There had been some talk about Toronto, but they used their MLE on...Jason Kapono?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Buster Olney was just on ESPN talking up Grant Hill to Phoenix. There had been some talk about Toronto, but they used their MLE on...Jason Kapono?
    I've never been a fan of Kapono (he was just too arrogant for my taste while at UCLA) but he did lead the league in 3 pt % last year. I know that it helped to have Wade and Shaq opening up the outside shot, but Toronto probably wants to spread the floor to help Bosh out.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I've never been a fan of Kapono (he was just too arrogant for my taste while at UCLA) but he did lead the league in 3 pt % last year. I know that it helped to have Wade and Shaq opening up the outside shot, but Toronto probably wants to spread the floor to help Bosh out.
    He'll do what Morris Peterson has been doing for years. They're extremely similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcluhan View Post
    He'll do what Morris Peterson has been doing for years. They're extremely similar.
    I always thought that MoPete was better handling the ball than Kapono, who I've always just thought of as a catch and shoot player for the most part. I haven't really seen either guy play much recently, though (don't get many games from either team here on the West coast).

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I always thought that MoPete was better handling the ball than Kapono, who I've always just thought of as a catch and shoot player for the most part. I haven't really seen either guy play much recently, though (don't get many games from either team here on the West coast).
    I agree, MoPete is probably marginally more well-rounded, but in terms of defense and their primary offensive responsibilities, they're interchangeable.

Word is that MoPete sees himself as the last piece of Utah's puzzle. He may be right. If I were Utah I'd jump on it, especially since so few young black players in their twenties cite the Jazz as their first choice.

Who's Utah's starting 2 guard right now? I'm blanking on it.

Why not JJ for Miami? they could sure use the 3 point shooting scoring and threat to free up Wade.

I agree, MoPete is probably marginally more well-rounded, but in terms of defense and their primary offensive responsibilities, they're interchangeable.

Word is that MoPete sees himself as the last piece of Utah's puzzle. He may be right. If I were Utah I'd jump on it, especially since so few young black players in their twenties cite the Jazz as their first choice.

You are blanking on it because Utah sorta does not have a 2-guard. They start Derek Fisher at 2-guard even though he is a PG. They also play Matt Harpring there a lot, though he is also more of a wing forward than 2-guard. The only real 2-guard who plays for them is Gordan Giricek-- I've never been very impressed with him though.

It is easy to see why a good 2-guard would see Utah as an ideal location. Boozer, Okur, and Williams are good at relocating the ball and all of them draw double-teams/collapsing defenses (well, Okur is more a big outside bomber, but gets the job done inside too). I could see Mo Pete really doing well in Utah. Of course, it bears mention that Mo Pete is much like Harping and is more a SF than a SG, but he can pop from the perimter. If he goes back to being the guy who scored in the mid-upper teens while hitting about 40% of his threes then he can be really valuable for Utah.

What has happened to AK47 last year? That is the real problem dogging the Jazz. It is like he signed his max deal (6 years, $86 million) and then played hard for a couple years so folks would forget about how much money he was making and then he just stopped trying last season. When a guy's shots attempted drop by 40% and his rebounds are cut in half and he is still in the prime of his career (he's only 26) you have to wonder how hard he is trying?

--Jason "AK 47 needs to be better-- that would be the leap the Jazz need to make" Evans

Thought I'd give you all an update on this thread. Looks like Grant is going to Phoenix... I personally am ecstatic because I would love to see Grant get a ring.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/arti...inblog-CR.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    Thought I'd give you all an update on this thread. Looks like Grant is going to Phoenix... I personally am ecstatic because I would love to see Grant get a ring.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/arti...inblog-CR.html
    I hope this is true - would be a great move for Grant and the Suns.

What has happened to AK47 last year? That is the real problem dogging the Jazz. It is like he signed his max deal (6 years, $86 million) and then played hard for a couple years so folks would forget about how much money he was making and then he just stopped trying last season.
    Well, for some of those years he was the top offensive threat on his team, and not a great one at that. This year, Boozer, Deron, and Okur were all clearly more talented offensive players than he.

I think AK47 is a matter of expectations. When he was averaging a freakish 8, 8, 5, 5, and 4, we all assumed that someday it would be 24, 8, 5, 5, and 4.

The Cavs are also showing Peterson a lot of interest, which I don't mind one bit.

By the way, Morris Peterson is a MUCH better defender than Jason Kapono; it's not even comparable. Despite playing 21 mpg in the regular season, Peterson played 30 mpg against NJ in playoffs because he was the only one who could guard/slow down Vince Carter. Plus, like Mike Krzyzewski, you don't play for Tom Izzo if you can't play defense...

ESPN is reporting Grant to Phoenix. Breaking news.

Suns are now my personal favorite team in the West.