Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A Chapel Hill Christmas, generic Carolina discussion, etc

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the Dome
    not a Tarheel was scoring, they were cold as a bone.
    Their jerseys were hung in the lockers with care,
    in hopes the Black Falcon soon would be there.

The players were nestled all snug in their beds,
    while visions of Hansbrough danced in their heads.
    Roy in his 'kerchief, coach McGrath in his cap,
    had just settled down for a long winter's nap.

When out in the kitchen there arose such a clatter,
    they sprang from their bed to see what was the matter.
    Away to the doorway they flew like a flash,
    and spotted Will Graves there smoking some hash.

when, what to their wondering eyes should appear,
    the fact that the Wear twins were no longer here.

Duke now with Irving, so lively and quick,
    Roy saw the future and made himself sick.
    More rapid than eagles, his lame *** team came,
    and he whistled and shouted and called them by name:

"Now Dexter! Now Larry!
    Now, Reggie and Henson!
    On, Leslie! On, Justin!
    Prince Harry just listen!
    To the top of the stairs!
    To the end of the hall!
    we're NIT bound if we don't play some ball!"

Roy dressed in light blue, from his head to his foot,
    Knew that this team was completely kaputt.

His eyes--how they twinkled! His dimples, how merry!
    His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
    His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
    and the tie he had on had a long way to go.
    The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
    and the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath.
    He had a broad face and a little bit plump,
    on the sidelines he looks like he's taking a dump.

He tried to smile, a right jolly old elf,
    and I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself.
    A wink of his eye and a twist of his head
    soon gave me to know Duke had nothing to dread.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
    he made up excuses, called ESPN jerks.

He walked to the court, to his team gave a whistle,
    And noticed Hensons legs were as thin as a thistle.
    But I heard him exclaim, though his team has no fight,

"Happy Christmas to all, NIT, we just might!"

Wonderful

Definitely made me laugh. Excellent work!

Did you write this bad boy, SilkyJ? If so, take a bow.

Rep? Yep!

There once was a player named Barnes,
    Who told self-aggrandizing yarns.
    "I'm great!" he declared,
    on skype and on air,
    yet made the 'heel faithful curse darns.

Who did write this originally? It was posted on TDD yesterday and has been emailed around the interwebs like crazy. Good stuff.

This is brilliant.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This is perfect.
    North Carolina coach Roy Williams has said he doesn't feel the same way about this season as he did during last season's disappointment.
    I'm having a hard time noticing thanks to Williams' misguided, oversensitive defense of Harrison Barnes.
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/8713678/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Great find. Ol' Huck's a hypocrite.

time to ease up on HB a bit

Long time reader, first time poster here. To me there are a couple reasons why we Duke fans should ease up on HB a bit:

First, as many others have opined, he's just a kid! Even though he might physically look a lot older than 18, let us not forget that as recently as last year he was playing the trombone in his high school marching band. He's only been driving for a year or two now. Heck, he's still not old enough to drink a beer! The Skype thing was poorly played, but this was no case of LeBron taking his talents to Miami. IMHO it was simply a kid having fun and not understanding the ramifications of his actions. Let he who never made bad decisions at age 18 continue to cast stones.

Second, karma is a b----! While we all deserve to feel a certain satisfaction in knowing that Roy's supposed recruiting coup hasn't exactly worked as planned, pouring it on begs the basketball gods for retribution.

Now as for Ol' Roy, fire away! He's a big boy and deserves a ton of criticism for his terrible coaching these past two seasons. Having the good fortune to have been a Duke fan since 1994, I can't even fathom a team playing as disjointedly as the Tar Heels are right now. Roy needs to figure out that running wind sprints isn't going to miraculously bestow this group with the leadership skills and teamwork they need to win. It's going to take a bit more psychology than Pavlovian conditioning to get this team over the hump. Time to put that M.A.T. to work, Roy!

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    Long time reader, first time poster here. To me there are a couple reasons why we Duke fans should ease up on HB a bit:

First, as many others have opined, he's just a kid! Even though he might physically look a lot older than 18, let us not forget that as recently as last year he was playing the trombone in his high school marching band. He's only been driving for a year or two now. Heck, he's still not old enough to drink a beer! The Skype thing was poorly played, but this was no case of LeBron taking his talents to Miami. IMHO it was simply a kid having fun and not understanding the ramifications of his actions. Let he who never made bad decisions at age 18 continue to cast stones.

Second, karma is a b----! While we all deserve to feel a certain satisfaction in knowing that Roy's supposed recruiting coup hasn't exactly worked as planned, pouring it on begs the basketball gods for retribution.

Now as for Ol' Roy, fire away! He's a big boy and deserves a ton of criticism for his terrible coaching these past two seasons. Having the good fortune to have been a Duke fan since 1994, I can't even fathom a team playing as disjointedly as the Tar Heels are right now. Roy needs to figure out that running wind sprints isn't going to miraculously bestow this group with the leadership skills and teamwork they need to win. It's going to take a bit more psychology than Pavlovian conditioning to get this team over the hump. Time to put that M.A.T. to work, Roy!
    OK well first off I get what your saying and most people do. But the fact he chose UNC has preety much everything to do with this. If he would have gone to UNCA we ould rarely mention his name around here. And as long as he is a member of UNC I will hate on him every chance.

I also did not like the little hate on Lebron, what Lebron did was to raise a whole bunch of money for the boys and girls club of America so I have no problem with that. What people did not like about Lebron was that he did not inform the other teams before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    OK well first off I get what your saying and most people do. But the fact he chose UNC has preety much everything to do with this. If he would have gone to UNCA we ould rarely mention his name around here. And as long as he is a member of UNC I will hate on him every chance.

I also did not like the little hate on Lebron, what Lebron did was to raise a whole bunch of money for the boys and girls club of America so I have no problem with that. What people did not like about Lebron was that he did not inform the other teams before hand.
    Wait a second... so its OK to hate on Barnes because he went to UNC, but you don't approve of people dumping on LeBron because he raised "a whole bunch of money for" BGCA?

That makes no sense whatsoever. You excuse the selfishness of LeBron's actions because he decided to turn his ego-driven hour-long special into a "fund raiser", but you think its OK to arbitrarily do the same thing you disapprove of to an 18 year old who didn't pick your school?

So lemme get this straight... Cavs fans should forgive LeBron for not picking the Cavs, but Duke fans should crap on Barnes for not picking Duke.

OK...

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    So lemme get this straight... Cavs fans should forgive LeBron for not picking the Cavs, but Duke fans should crap on Barnes for not picking Duke.

OK...
    Well, sure. As a Tar Heel, Barnes deserves every bit of hate we can muster, and more. That's just the way of the world.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Last year, Barnes was just a kid. This year, he's just a heel.

How the mighty have fallen and of course deserve our scorn

Superdave we need your HB/Lance Thomas breakdown

Was looking forward to your comparison of HB to Lance from the Illinois/UNC thread

Sorry I didn't give an attribution in my OP! I did not write this, a friend sent it to me. No idea where he got it.

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post

First, as many others have opined, he's just a kid!
    Yeah, he is a kid that disrespected Coach K and played him like a fiddle. The kid excuse doesn't work for me. Please continue to bash the black falcon

A slow night a work let's me do some reading so I decided to look at the Harrison Barnes Recruiting thread. I'm sure many of you remember that one, the one that was well over 100 pages long.

First off, where is the poster named FRANZEZ. A number of you owe this guy an apology. Way back in like the first 20 pages of that thread he describes Barnes as a 3-4 year player and a number of your reamed him for it. What's even funnier is that a number of poster who told him he didn't have a clue are the very same ones who are now bashing him.

Here's another really funny one. One bigtime poster on this board who is also one of Barnes biggest haters labelled the kid the second coming of Grant Hill or Shane Battier.

I won't name names and embarass anyone, but maybe those of you doing so much of the hating should take a peak at that thread and see how foolish you look now with the way you were salivating over this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    he describes Barnes as a 3-4 year player
    Would you wager than Barnes will be at UNC 3-4 years? I'm sure that many would take that bet. I certainly would if I were a wagerin' man. The NBA draft sites still have him in the top 2 picks and I would say that Barnes' stock won't get much lower than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Would you wager than Barnes will be at UNC 3-4 years? I'm sure that many would take that bet. I certainly would if I were a wagerin' man. The NBA draft sites still have him in the top 2 picks and I would say that Barnes' stock won't get much lower than it is now.
    I honestly don't know where this kid will be going in the draft nor how long he will stay at UNC. I guess what I was trying to say was that so many of the folks who got on FRANZEZ for what he said are the very same people badmouthing the kid and downplaying his ability.