Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AP Top 25 Rankings 11/29

The new AP rankings are in. There are no real surprises at the top. Kansas State, Michigan State, and Kentucky dropped a few spots due to a loss and Connecticut jumped up to #7. The good news is that the voters saw the error of their way and dropped UNC out of the top 25.

Here is a link:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

It seems strange to have only one ACC team in the Top 25.
    Bob Green

For the first time this year, we are a unanimous #1.

--Jason "only one ACC team in the Top 25 because only one belongs there at this point" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I still think and maintain my belief that NC State will be a top 25 team by the end of the year. I think they are good enough now to be a top 20 to 30.

I understand UCONN beat Michigan St. and Kentucky... but still. It was in a tournament in hawaii. How on earth did they go from unranked, all the way to #7? Maybe I'm in the wrong here but I find that a bit ridiculous.

As for the rest of this poll, glad to see UNC dropped out. They are still extremely young and don't really have any true veteran presence. With that said though, there doesn't seem to be much respect for the ACC this season.

Tennessee knocked off Villanova but is ranked one spot behind them?

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    I understand UCONN beat Michigan St. and Kentucky... but still. It was in a tournament in hawaii. How on earth did they go from unranked, all the way to #7? Maybe I'm in the wrong here but I find that a bit ridiculous.
    Same thing happened last year to Syracuse, who jumped from unranked to #10 after beating what turned out to be a mediocre UNC team. On the other hand, the jump for Syracuse ended up being legitimate.

Well, we got clobbered last year by NC State. Should they have been ranked ahead of us the next week?

one acc team

This is just the second week in the last 32 years that the ACC has been down to one ranked team.

It happened last year the week of Feb. 22 -- Duke was No. 5, but Wake, which was only in the rankings for one week, dropped out. Georgia Tech and UNC, which had been ranked most of the early part of the season had faded a week earlier (on Tech's part). Maryland was ranked a week later. Before that, you have to go back to two weeks early in the 1977-78 season, when UNC was the only ranked ACC team.

What's disturbing is that the ACC isn't even that strong in other-teams-receiving-votes. UNC came in 29th and Virginia Tech at No. 32.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    This is just the second week in the last 32 years that the ACC has been down to one ranked team.

It happened last year the week of Feb. 22 -- Duke was No. 5, but Wake, which was only in the rankings for one week, dropped out. Georgia Tech and UNC, which had been ranked most of the early part of the season had faded a week earlier (on Tech's part). Maryland was ranked a week later. Before that, you have to go back to two weeks early in the 1977-78 season, when UNC was the only ranked ACC team.

What's disturbing is that the ACC isn't even that strong in other-teams-receiving-votes. UNC came in 29th and Virginia Tech at No. 32.
    How do you guys remember/find this stuff?!!!! I am not worthy!

As for the rest of this poll, glad to see UNC dropped out. They are still extremely young and don't really have any true veteran presence. With that said though, there doesn't seem to be much respect for the ACC this season.

To the contrary, I think it is great. Preseason rankings are completely irrelevant. I am glad the voters looked at what UConn did on the court and rewarded them appropriately. Does any other team have two wine as impressive as UConn's wins?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    How do you guys remember/find this stuff?!!!! I am not worthy!
    And.......thats why I come here so often.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    To the contrary, I think it is great. Preseason rankings are completely irrelevant. I am glad the voters looked at what UConn did on the court and rewarded them appropriately. Does any other team have two wine as impressive as UConn's wins?
    Uconn bias aside: uconn has looked like one of the best teams in the country thus far

does anyone disagree? the only teams someone could say might look better are duke and OSU...they beat UK by 17 for goodness sake!

that said: last time uconn won the maui invitational they lost to a well known basketball powerhouse named george mason and didn't make the final 4
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    I was going to post the same thing so I will just reiterate the point. I'd much rather voters over-emphasize actual results and under-emphasize their pre-conceived notions. If they did that then there's no way UNC would have still been ranked last week (or still receiving votes this week). Give UConn credit for coming up with some pretty big wins.

I don't see anything wrong with UCONN's jump, they did beat two very good squads. Possibly with the allegations and trouble swirling around their program it caused voters to vote cautiously in the preseason polls.

Duke definitely is holding the ACC torch.

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellBlueDevil View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with UCONN's jump, they did beat two very good squads. Possibly with the allegations and trouble swirling around their program it caused voters to vote cautiously in the preseason polls.

Duke definitely is holding the ACC torch.
    The torch is more like a match at this point.

Actually, I think this is one of the rare times that the voters did it right. They acknowledged that they may have missed on UConn in the pre-season rankings, and adjusted accordingly. UConn looked terrific in beating MSU and dismantling UK, and those two teams are ranked in the top-10.

If there had been no pre-season rankings, UConn would be a top-5/10 team without question right now. The only argument against UConn to this point is that the voters didn't think they'd be good before the season starts.

Now, UConn may or may not turn out to be any good. But their resume to this point in the season is that of a top ten team. And if you don't think they're a top-10 team, which teams outside of the top 10 would you put ahead of them? All of the other unbeatens have big questions (Baylor and Syracuse lost a bunch of key players from last year and haven't played anyone of note yet).

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellBlueDevil View Post
    Possibly with the allegations and trouble swirling around their program it caused voters to vote cautiously in the preseason polls.
    Or perhaps because they were a terrible squad last year with no headline incoming freshman while effort problems have plagued the team the past few years call into question calhoun's ability to put together a good team...i don't think the allegations of trouble have any effect on a teams rakings (as it should be....the rankings are about BASKETBALL not ethics)
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It seems strange to have only one ACC team in the Top 25.
    Any idea when, if ever, this has happened before?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Any idea when, if ever, this has happened before?
    Look at OlympicFan's post #7 above.

I understand UCONN beat Michigan St. and Kentucky... but still. It was in a tournament in hawaii. How on earth did they go from unranked, all the way to #7?
    I think UConn's wins should be recognized, but I don't think they are a top 10 team. Probably more like mid-teens, and I think that's where they'll end up, at best.

That said, voters threw out the preseason rankings appropriately and rewarded UConn. Ranking isn't an exact science, but they got the general idea right. I certainly don't understand your issue with the tournament being in Hawaii...they beat two really good teams, and looked good doing so (other than at the FT line), it wasn't at home, so who cares if it was in Hawaii, Alaska, Canada, or any other place?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

And in both of those years Duke played in the national championship game.