Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

World to End in 2012

Three. Three times. Three times this week I have heard different people reference the fact that the world is supposed to come to an end in 2012. How disconcerting.

Only once did this come up in a conversation that I was a part of. I asked where he heard that. He cited Nostradomas but I can't find anywhere where N-Dawg made such a prediction.

Is anyone else aware of this whole 2012 thing? Where is it coming from? While I in no way want the world to end, it would be the greatest event mankind has ever experienced, and would make great stories for the grandchildren!

-EarlJam

Mayan prophecies

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Is anyone else aware of this whole 2012 thing? Where is it coming from?

You have until December 21, 2012.

An explanation:
    http://www.levity.com/eschaton/Why2012.html

3. Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Three. Three times. Three times this week I have heard different people reference the fact that the world is supposed to come to an end in 2012. How disconcerting.

Only once did this come up in a conversation that I was a part of. I asked where he heard that. He cited Nostradomas but I can't find anywhere where N-Dawg made such a prediction.

Is anyone else aware of this whole 2012 thing? Where is it coming from? While I in no way want the world to end, it would be the greatest event mankind has ever experienced, and would make great stories for the grandchildren!

-EarlJam
    I thought this had to do with the Aztecs or something. I'll have to consult with this new webapp I've been using called "The Google."

I predict that the cataclysmic event in 2012 could be even worse than the Y2K disaster.

EDIT: Wikipedia has a nice rundown of 2012 end-of-the-world info. (Turns out it was Mayan, not Aztec.)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDiablo View Post

I predict that the cataclysmic event in 2012 could be even worse than the Y2K disaster.
    Dear God. I hope not. I still haven't gotten over Y2K. My loins shudder every time I think of that night, watching the horror take place unmercifully time zone after time zone.

-EarlJam

Meh, forget all this talk of the world ending in [insert year]. I proclaim that the world will never end, so that I will only be wrong once.

(That's originally a quote about Moore's Law, but I can't recall exactly who said it.)

Rush reference

The space pirates will be here 2112

7. Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    The space pirates will be here 2112
    "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation ..."

We have assumed control. We have assumed control. We have assumed control.

the world is supposed to come to an end in 2012.
    At least we have time to get off!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Before the world ends ...

A brief Google has the world ending in each of the next 7 years, and "N-dawg" figures in a few of the predictions. I think catholicplanet had a nuclear bomb exploding in New York in 2010. Oil seems to be a frequent problem; very few mentions of aliens.

If the world is ending soon, then I'm going to ask my genie to grant the following three wishes related to Duke sports/events:
    1) Clemson beats UNC at the Dean Dome (paging Klemnop!!)
    2) President of the United States (and former Duke University President), Shane Battier.
    3) Oh genie, please let Bullock's be open on Mondays.

EarlJam: So what happened with your surgery and dilemma in the "Dear Duke Abby" thread?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    3) Oh genie, please let Bullock's be open on Mondays.
    I'm fairly certain if that were to happen they'll lose their BBQ license

Dear God. I hope not. I still haven't gotten over Y2K. My loins shudder every time I think of that night, watching the horror take place unmercifully time zone after time zone.

-EarlJam
    Ohmygod, I completely forgot about Y2K. What does everyone think, will it be as bad as they say? Will my checking account be OK? Will my teevee explode? Do I need to throw my toaster away and get a new one that's Y2K compliant? What about this Fortran thing everyone's suddenly programming in, do I need to know that too? Help I'm scared.

Talking Fortran IV

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    What about this Fortran thing everyone's suddenly programming in, do I need to know that too?
    LOL! Brings back memories of nights in the Engine House or AROD*, typing punch cards to run through the TUCC computer, located somewhere in something called the RTP.

Of course, that nightmare was freshman year in the fall of 1972. PCs and Windows are so much easier (as would Mac and OS X)!

*AROD is, make that was, Army Research Office - Durham, a small building located up the road from the old Engineering Building, in front of what is now the Levine Science Center. I was not referring to A-Rod, who is having a June much like his April!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

EarlJam: So what happened with your surgery and dilemma in the "Dear Duke Abby" thread?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I had surgery and one of the girl's pretty much cussed me out hours after (while I was in fairly intense pain and heavily medicated) for not calling her as soon as my surgery was over with. It took me a few minutes to figure out if she was joking. She was not.

The other girl, meanwhile, purchased a book I had been wanting to read and made a CD of music for me - both gifts given to me knowing that I'd be laid up for a while. A lot of thought went into it.

So, it was pretty easy to make the decision after that. One girl, and taking it slowly, no pressure, no rush, etc. It feels right. Thanks for asking!

-EarlJam

P.S. The book, by the way, is Paris 1919. Has anyone read it? I'm pretty far through it now. It's good.

2) President of the United States (and former Duke University President), Shane Battier.
    I'm pretty sure for that to happen, a Constitutional amendment would have to be passed first.

Please genie, give us a Battier presidency

Quote Originally Posted by JDSBlueDevl View Post
    I'm pretty sure for that to happen, a Constitutional amendment would have to be passed first.
    Admittedly, Shane needs a few more years to hit the 35-year age requirement. To be president in 2012, he'd have to run NOW against the dozen presidential wannabes.

Battier in 2028!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I've gotta go with my friend I-Newt:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science...ap/index.html

In one manuscript from the early 1700s, Newton used the cryptic Book of Daniel to calculate the date for the apocalypse, reaching the conclusion that the world would end no earlier than 2060. "It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner," Newton wrote.

Admittedly, Shane needs a few more years to hit the 35-year age requirement. To be president in 2012, he'd have to run NOW against the dozen presidential wannabes.

Battier in 2028!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Battier in 2016!

C'mon, if anyone can get elected under 40, its Shane.

'Battier in 2016' was a sign my wife brought to Carolina game, ACC tourney, and Final four in 2001.

Exiled

Smile 2016 vs. 2028

2016 implies a reduced NBA career. If his career gets cut short, then I agree with your comments and your wife. As it is, I would like to see him win a couple of NBA championships before he ascends to the highest office in the land. Once done with the NBA, I'd love to see him reach his greatest potential in whatever field(s) he chooses.

I was born & raised in Jersey, so the 2028 number I offered is guesstimated on my part based on the example of my favorite Knicks from my childhood, Bill Bradley. On the other hand, I wish you were right, Exiled.

Two odd questions about a potential candidate Battier:
    1) Has he ever given an indication as to party affiliation?
    2) What state would he call home & represent? Michigan? Tennessee? Texas? I guess from the news, he might be siding with Michigan.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

FREAKY Channel surfing

Quote Originally Posted by TheGodfather View Post
    You have until December 21, 2012.

An explanation:
    http://www.levity.com/eschaton/Why2012.html
    While channel surfing this weekend, I passed by a HISTORY CHANNEL hourlong documentary on the end of the world prediction referenced here.

TURNS OUT that the Mayans, the wizard Merlin, and the I Ching all predict the same date. There's also some Middle Age British woman who predicts a date in line with this (alas, she lived in a cave, and she did not write down her prediction). N-dawg is a no show. FWIW, the wizard Merlin is NOT the wizard of folklore. According to one expert in the documentary, Merlin becomes interesting, because he predicted that people could someday communicate between London and Paris via talking into stones (quartz).

I had an ale after watching this documentary.

Cheers,
    Lavabe