Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Football Coaching Carousel 2010

Randy Shannon is out at Miami.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5859567

Maybe Butch Davis will be available.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Randy Shannon is out at Miami.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5859567

Maybe Butch Davis will be available.
    Early inklings are saying that Mark Richt will be considered as well as Dan Mullen of Miss State, though the big rumor is that Jon Gruden would be a big-name target. Several people in Miami circles stated that he would be interested if the job were available (http://blog.allcanes.com/2010/11/doe...ave-merit.html), and if that proves to be true that's exactly who I want at my law school alma mater The U needs its swagger back, and it needs a coach who will balance that swagger with the clean program that Shannon thankfully instilled.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

WVU's coach to retire. Look out here comes a couple of retreads named Bowden. Rich Rod is out (you can bet on it) after embarrassing their supporters with another rivalry loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Rich Rod is out (you can bet on it) after embarrassing their supporters with another rivalry loss.
    In this Michigan fan's mind, he should have been out 2 years ago when he put us on probation. Bring Jim Harbaugh home!

2003-2004 HLM

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    The U needs its swagger back, and it needs a coach who will balance that swagger with the clean program that Shannon thankfully instilled.
    Ah, the $64,000 question. Has Miami ever had a clean program and its swagger at the same time? Are they mutually exclusive?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Ah, the $64,000 question. Has Miami ever had a clean program and its swagger at the same time? Are they mutually exclusive?
    You could argue that under Davis, it was a clean(er) program and they still had the swagger...should have probably been in the BCS title game in '99 and especially '00. There were some skirmishes, but the program's never been as clean as it has been under Shannon.

2003-2004 HLM

And as I say this, a news reporter is saying that Gruden will be the man, and they're working to finalize a $3m/year deal to take over at The U.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/...lion-per-year/

That's the only link I can find on it right now, but it's spreading through my Miami fan site circles like wildfire.

EDIT: Same guy tweeted that Gruden to Miami was a done deal: http://twitter.com/LakeLewis/status/8966510219366400

2003-2004 HLM

I agree that the true swagger left when the president wanted the program cleaned up. It would be interesting to see what those "student athletes" have made of themselves today.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    It would be interesting to see what those "student athletes" have made of themselves today.
    They're doing the same thing as our football players. I'm proud to be an alum of the only two schools in the ACC whose football players were recognized for academic excellence. http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/1...-football.html

Again, I commend Randy Shannon for cleaning up The U's program...unfortunately, he couldn't win the games that mattered on the field. Gruden can hopefully continue the academic excellence and while I think he can bring the swagger back, I don't think he'd sacrifice the academic excellence for it.

2003-2004 HLM

Yesterday, an explosion of Tweets about Houston Nutt and the Dallas Cowboys' QB Coach job. And a link to the Colorado job that he seems to be denying.

http://www.mrsec.com/2010/11/nutt-de...lorado-rumors/

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Gruden gave a statement to ESPN saying he was committed to Monday Night Football. but not expressly denying he would take the Miami job. Still, AOL Fanhouse seems skeptical of a deal and says Gruden is more interested in waiting for another NFL job.

-Jason "if Miami can get him, I think Gruden would recruit like crazy down there" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Gruden gave a statement to ESPN saying he was committed to Monday Night Football. but not expressly denying he would take the Miami job. Still, AOL Fanhouse seems skeptical of a deal and says Gruden is more interested in waiting for another NFL job.

-Jason "if Miami can get him, I think Gruden would recruit like crazy down there" Evans
    If Jason Garrett does not close strong, Gruden might be one of handful of guys who could actually coach the Cowboys while simultaneously keeping Jerry Jones at arm's length.

I just dont see how coaching The U is more enticing than an NFL gig. Hasnt Gruden been in and around the pros his whole coaching career? (Yep, has been in the NFL since 1990 according to wikileaks, I mean wikipedia. A few small college gigs before that).

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    If Jason Garrett does not close strong, Gruden might be one of handful of guys who could actually coach the Cowboys while simultaneously keeping Jerry Jones at arm's length.
    Considering the way the Cowboys have played the past 3 weeks, I think Garrett merely needs them to not go back into the tank to get the job. They are night-and-day different from what kind of club they were under Phillips. Garrett has all but sewn up the job, IMO.

--Jason "2 wins will be all it takes to get him the job" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Gruden: UM or UM?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

I just dont see how coaching The U is more enticing than an NFL gig. Hasnt Gruden been in and around the pros his whole coaching career? (Yep, has been in the NFL since 1990 according to wikileaks, I mean wikipedia. A few small college gigs before that).
    I agree with you that Gruden is likely to coach in the NFL or not at all. But if we're wrong, it's worth noting that Gruden is an Ohio kid. Football roots are in the midwest. While as a native Miami guy, I would love to see him take over at the U, it might be more likely for him to be interested in Michigan, should they fire RichRod. I know a lot of Michigan alums would be clamoring for Jim Harbaugh, if they can bury the hatchet with him, but Gruden would be a pretty big steal if they could get him.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Considering the way the Cowboys have played the past 3 weeks, I think Garrett merely needs them to not go back into the tank to get the job. They are night-and-day different from what kind of club they were under Phillips. Garrett has all but sewn up the job, IMO.

--Jason "2 wins will be all it takes to get him the job" Evans
    I'd think John Fox and Jeff Fisher might be monitoring that situation too. I have family members who are close friends with the Fox family, and they tell me that by firing or resignation, he's definitely out of Carolina at season's end (even though that mess is definitely not his fault), and that he's paying close attention to the Dallas state of affairs in considering his next maneuver.
    I know they supposedly love Jason Garrett in Dallas, but do they really love him that much?
    One thing I know...if I were a Cowboys fan, I would not want Garrett to get the job. He seems like just another of Jerry's boys, with too little ability to effect the change in team culture that's needed out there. Although, to be fair, the best change in team culture they could make would be to rid Jerry of his meddlesome ways, and we all know the likelihood of that happening.

Urban Meyer's second annual Resignation Spectacular:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5899478

(presser at 6 East)

Wannstedt is stepping down at Pittsburgh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5896191

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Urban Meyer's second annual Resignation Spectacular:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5899478

(presser at 6 East)

Wannstedt is stepping down at Pittsburgh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5896191
    With openings at UF and The U at the same time, this could get interesting. I hope that the more attractive Florida job doesn't land them a guy (Dan Mullen?) who might otherwise have been viable for Miami, leaving us with a guy like Dave Wannstedt. If there is a God, Wannstedt will not be the next Hurricane coach.

I don't believe there has been any dicussion of Urban Meyer's resignation yet. Kind of amazing that within the last year or so, all of Florida, Florida State and Miami have gone through or are currently going through coaching changes.

Maybe folks are waiting to see if he changes his mind...

Meyer' resignation could help Duke in the recruitment of Cam Clear, though we are still going up against Tennessee, Alabama, and Auburn.