Charting Duke v. Marquette

During the stretch run, Duke went with Irving-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason. It was our best lineup by far - +12 overall, meaning that the rest of the lineups were a collective -7. Seth Curry was the biggest offender, showing up at -11 and joining Ryan Kelly as the only Devils with negatives on the night. Note also that Miles, despite playing very little in the second half, was on the court for a good stretch for Duke, finishing second at +8.

Individuals
    Andre Dawkins 53-44 (+9)
    Miles Plumlee 21-13 (+8)
    Kyle Singler 80-73 (+7)
    Kyrie Irving 69-63 (+6)
    Mason Plumlee 67-63 (+4)
    Nolan Smith 71-68 (+3)
    Tyler Thornton 0-0 (0)
    Ryan Kelly 19-20 (-1)
    Seth Curry 30-41 (-11)

Per 40 Minutes
    Miles Plumlee +32.0
    Andre Dawkins +17.1
    Kyle Singler +7.4
    Kyrie Irving +7.1
    Mason Plumlee +5.0
    Nolan Smith +3.4
    Tyler Thornton 0
    Ryan Kelly -3.3
    Seth Curry -24.4

Lineups (Score, times used, margin)
    Irving-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason (27-15, x2, +12)
    Irving-Curry-Dawkins-Singler-Miles (9-2, x1, +7)
    Irving-Smith-Singler-Mason-Kelly (17-14, x3, +3)
    Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Miles (6-3, x1, +3)
    Irving-Smith-Curry-Singler-Miles (4-4, x1, 0)
    Irving-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Miles (2-2, x1, 0)
    Thornton-Smith-Curry-Singler-Miles (0-0, x1, 0)
    Irving-Smith-Curry-Mason-Kelly (2-4, x1, -2)
    Irving-Dawkins-Singler-Kelly-Miles (0-2, x1, -2)
    Irving-Curry-Dawkins-Singler-Mason (0-3, x1, -3)
    Smith-Curry-Dawkins-Singler-Mason (7-11, x3, -4)
    Irving-Smith-Curry-Dawkins-Singler (0-4, x1, -4)
    Irving-Smith-Curry-Singler-Mason (6-11, x2, -5)
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Once again, Miles had our best plus/minus per 40. Despite all the criticism against him, it's not just luck. He's playing good defense, and he's making the team better when he's in the game.

While watching the game I had a feeling Andre was playing really well. I almost voted for him as MOTM, although ultimately I went with Mason. I'm glad to see the plus/minus stats confirm my impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Once again, Miles had our best plus/minus per 40. Despite all the criticism against him, it's not just luck. He's playing good defense, and he's making the team better when he's in the game.

While watching the game I had a feeling Andre was playing really well. I almost voted for him as MOTM, although ultimately I went with Mason. I'm glad to see the plus/minus stats confirm my impression.
    Eh, Andre played well overall, but there was a stretch in the middle (when they outmanned us) where he was falling for every shot fake on Defense.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Can the figures lie?

In his relatively short time in the game, I noticed Miles flub at least 5 plays, which resulted in opportunities and scores for Marquette. I noticed coach K went away from him as the game progressed, presumably he saw the same things. I don't think the figures make a lot of sense.

I do agree that Mason, Kyle, Kyrie, Nolan and Dawkins were our most effective lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    In his relatively short time in the game, I noticed Miles flub at least 5 plays, which resulted in opportunities and scores for Marquette. I noticed coach K went away from him as the game progressed, presumably he saw the same things. I don't think the figures make a lot of sense.

I do agree that Mason, Kyle, Kyrie, Nolan and Dawkins were our most effective lineup.
    Were the flubs you noticed on offense or defense? I noticed a couple flubs by Miles on offense, but I thought his defense was solid. My theory on his outstanding +/- numbers is that with all the offensive firepower we have on the perimeter, our most effective lineup is one where the bigs are playing the best defense. Miles is our best defensive big man (not including Kyle), and I think that's why his +/- numbers are so good.

Exactly

Were the flubs you noticed on offense or defense? I noticed a couple flubs by Miles on offense, but I thought his defense was solid. My theory on his outstanding +/- numbers is that with all the offensive firepower we have on the perimeter, our most effective lineup is one where the bigs are playing the best defense. Miles is our best defensive big man (not including Kyle), and I think that's why his +/- numbers are so good.
    Miles had solid positioning and also made some exceptional defensive plays, such as the one where he tipped away an entry pass, outraced the Marquette player for the ball in the corner, and drew a foul (I think).

If you listened to Coach K's post game remarks, he talked about Miles's problems finishing plays. He was quite relaxed about it (in fact, he seemed more relaxed than normal throughout the press conference) and said that later in the year Miles would finish those plays. He also talked about how Duke's bigs will develop over the course of the season.

Folks, it's way too early to draw conclusions about this team and any of its players.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Miles had solid positioning and also made some exceptional defensive plays, such as the one where he tipped away an entry pass, outraced the Marquette player for the ball in the corner, and drew a foul (I think).

If you listened to Coach K's post game remarks, he talked about Miles's problems finishing plays. He was quite relaxed about it (in fact, he seemed more relaxed than normal throughout the press conference) and said that later in the year Miles would finish those plays. He also talked about how Duke's bigs will develop over the course of the season.

Folks, it's way too early to draw conclusions about this team and any of its players.
    I could not agree with these two posts more. Miles may not be scoring the ball well, but he's setting the best screens for our guards. He's also playing the best team defense out of the bigs - good positioning, good rotations to help, ok hedging. We can draw one conclusion on Miles - he's an asset!

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Seth Curry was the biggest offender, showing up at -11 and joining Ryan Kelly as the only Devils with negatives on the night.

Irving-Curry-Dawkins-Singler-Mason (0-3, x1, -3)
    I find it interesting that Seth was in our 2nd best lineup last night (+7) but also our 4 worst. He seemed to be struggling last night a little, but I wonder if it wasnt due to the respective energy levels of the two teams. I think the +7 came during our solid 8-9 minutes opening the game, but the others came in the 2nd half when Marquette made their run and when they closed the gap once we went to the spread. Has anyone watched the game a 2nd time who noticed what he got right and wrong last night?

Curry seems to be feeding off the high energy stuff - popping 3s on the break and attacking in the half-court when we have a team on their heels. But I thought he'd be the type of player who would have thrived last night - Duke looks a little flat so we insert our high energy offense guy and Seth attacks giving us a lift. At least that's what I would have thought a month ago.

Slight Correction

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Irving-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason (27-15, x2, +12)
    Irving-Smith-Singler-Mason-Kelly (17-14, x3, +3)
    Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Miles (6-3, x1, +3)
    Irving-Smith-Curry-Singler-Miles (4-4, x1, 0)
    Irving-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Miles (2-2, x1, 0)
    Thornton-Smith-Curry-Singler-Miles (0-0, x1, 0)
    Irving-Smith-Curry-Mason-Kelly (2-4, x1, -2)
    Irving-Dawkins-Singler-Kelly-Miles (0-2, x1, -2)
    Irving-Curry-Dawkins-Singler-Mason (2-5, x1, -3)
    Just noticed that the lineups didn't add up to the game total. Corrected in the BOLD above.