Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Can Christian Laettner get a little love?

"It was one of those games where everybody will always remember where they were when the shot went in."

Christian Laettner entered the HOF and it seems it flew under the radar. This kid is viewed by many as the best basketball player ever at Duke. Here is the KC.com article and GoDuke on his exploits and a couple of pics from KC - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/d...er-enters-hof/

Do you think Laettner was the best ever at Duke?

Absolutely! I think Christian is the greatest player in Duke history, although my Duke history only covers the coach K era. He had an arrogance about him that made him universally hated outside of Duke, and I loved him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    That's a tough question given how the game has changed over the years, the athleticism and conditioning of the players, and comparing players at different positions. We've had a similar discussion on these boards over the years comparing Michael Jordan and Bill Russell at the pro level.

I would say that Laettner was the best ever in clutch situations or the most clutch player in Duke history, take your pick. Might even be the most clutch player in NCAA basketball history when it comes to clutch shots/performances in big games. When it comes down to it, that label may be more important than "best ever" as it translates into titles, not just personal stats.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    That's a tough question given how the game has changed over the years, the athleticism and conditioning of the players, and comparing players at different positions. We've had a similar discussion on these boards over the years comparing Michael Jordan and Bill Russell at the pro level.

I would say that Laettner was the best ever in clutch situations or the most clutch player in Duke history, take your pick. Might even be the most clutch player in NCAA basketball history when it comes to clutch shots/performances in big games. When it comes down to it, that label may be more important than "best ever" as it translates into titles, not just personal stats.
    I agree...this is a very tough question. I've always thought Laettner had the best career at Duke. He was a fierce competitor and just won ballgames. 10-10 in the Kentucky game from the field and 10-10 from the free throw line. Amazing!!!

However, I still think Grant Hill was the most talented player we ever had. I think of the '94 season when we lost to Arkansas in the title game. Grant Hill could play all 5 positions on the court. Amazing that Duke was so close to a title with that team. I think if you replaced Laettner with Hill on that team, I do not think we go as far in the tourney.

Probably depends on how you define greatest of all time. You need a shot with no time on the clock to win a game...Laettner is the man. You need a guy do do it all for your team to try and lead them to a title, then Grant Hill is your man.

Best Duke player ever? Perhaps. But he was very, very, very intense. I don't know that any player in any sport can claim better focus than Laettner could bring to a basketball game.

Christian Laettner is my hero.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Best Duke player ever? Perhaps. But he was very, very, very intense. I don't know that any player in any sport can claim better focus than Laettner could bring to a basketball game.

Christian Laettner is my hero.
    I'd put Art Heyman up there for the title of Mr. Intensity. If you've ever seen that dark look he had when he was about to drive to the basket or start off on a shooting binge, you'd never forget it.

Maybe another reason for some to love Artie and what he did for Duke is that Vic Bubas took him away from Carolina. Some of that bad blood remains even today.

Laettner was a GREAT Duke basketball player, in every element of the game -- including leadership. However, I am not entirely convinced he was the best ever. For example, I would respectfully suggest that Shane Battier was at least as good a "victory catalyst," optimizing overall team performance (this does not suggest the squad talent equality, but rather getting the very best performance from the collective team). Similarly, Groat and especially Heyman -- obviously playing in a different era, with different conditions/environment -- were possibly equally intense competitors. Further, an augment can probably be made that Johnny Dawkins was instrumental in initially enabling the fabulously successful and long enduring "modern/K era" in Duke basketball. Grant Hill should likely be mentioned also, as possibly our "most athletic" (and, I believe, versatile) superstar.

None of the foregoing diminishes Christian's fabulous performance, nor his critical influence in Duke's basketball history. We have simply been VERY fortunate (as a university) to have such an abundance of legitimate "best" candidates.

all timers

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I'd put Art Heyman up there for the title of Mr. Intensity. If you've ever seen that dark look he had when he was about to drive to the basket or start off on a shooting binge, you'd never forget it.

Maybe another reason for some to love Artie and what he did for Duke is that Vic Bubas took him away from Carolina. Some of that bad blood remains even today.
    Before my time but Dick Groat was the best basketball player in the building the other night (according to Bob Knight).

Art Heyman was great as was Jeff Mullins who followed. Lot of great players pre-K but I think Laettner was one of the best ever.

Laettner is the best college player of all time. The reason it starts with K, K carried Duke to the highest level. If my memory serves me correctly, Duke didnt win a title until K and Laettner?

"It was one of those games where everybody will always remember where they were when the shot went in."

Christian Laettner entered the HOF and it seems it flew under the radar. This kid is viewed by many as the best basketball player ever at Duke. Here is the KC.com article and GoDuke on his exploits and a couple of pics from KC - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/d...er-enters-hof/

Yes.

Only player EVER to start in 4 Final Fours.

The Shot. One of many clutch performances.

#1 3-pt shot accuracy all time Duke school history: 48.5%

Rediculously efficient shooting %: Frosh: 72.3, Soph: 51.1, Jr.: 57.5, Sr.: 57.5, Career: 57.4% (#4 all-time with more than twice the attempts of anyone above him.)

#1 Duke all time FT made: 713 -- Career 80.6% from FT line (#7 all-time.)

Defensive monster who absolutely shut down Larry Johnson (in a game where he played all 40 minutes!) and many others.

2460 points (#3 all-time.)
    1149 Rebounds (#3 all-time.)
    273 Asists
    243 Steals (#5 all-time and second to Battier among non-guards)
    145 Blocks (#5 all-time)
    Last edited by The Gordog; 11-22-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    The Gordog

Talking Laettner

Yup, no question. His college career is in the same league as Russell, Alcindor, and Walton: best player on a team with multiple championships. And that was the consensus in the poll some years ago (whose thread I cannot find) of the top 25 college players all-time. Laettner was somewhere around 10-12, although the poll was typically flawed in mixing up college and NBA careers. Laettner was behind Jordan IIRC, whose college career cannot be compared with Christian's. And, of course, Pistol Pete, who never won anything but is the all-time scoring leader, was in the top five.

If Brand had stayed four years, or if JWill had stayed for another year with great results on the court, then the answer may have been different. Kudos to Grant and Bobby, of course, but Laettner was the star of those two NC teams.

sagegrouse
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 11-22-2010 at 01:27 PM.

In my opinion, yes Laettner is Duke's best player. There have been some who have been more talented and some who have went on to better pro careers. But when it comes to their time at Duke, I think Laettner tops them all. I also believe that he is the player that most fans, casual and hardcore, associate with Duke. To some people, that's a negative. Not to me though. I still think about his strut across the court during the 2007 ACC Basketball Legends induction ceremony and blowing a kiss to all his "fans." Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    Even a few of my UNC friends recognize him as the best college player in the modern era.

What is the list of players he beat down in his college career?
    Larry Johnson
    Alonzo Mourning
    Shaq (twice)
    Chris Webber/Juwan Howard

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    Laettner is the best college player of all time. The reason it starts with K, K carried Duke to the highest level. If my memory serves me correctly, Duke didnt win a title until K and Laettner?
    Let me make sure I correctly understand your thesis; you indicate that the greatest college basketball player ever, necessarily had to play on a National Championship team. Could you please explain that rationale?

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    Ah, it was Coach Bubas whose teams made us expect to go to the Final Four.

A strong foundation is part of every dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post

If my math is correct, this is my 50th year of following Duke hoops.
    I was formulating my response when I saw this post.

I think Heyman was more like Christian than other Duke player I can recall.

Devil in the Blue Dress says it all with the "dark look" comment. In March of '63, at his final home game against UNC with Billy C., Artie scored 40+ (a career high as I recall), and he definitely had that look. I was fortunate enough to be in attendance that day.

Good call, Devil!

Laettner is the all time best Duke player without question. He was an absolute killer. He put up the stats, won the championships and made big plays in big games. Grant was a Scotty Thurmond prayer from challenging Laettner but even so I think Laettner is tops.

Championships make a huge difference. Dan Marino was a great QB but not a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    If my math is correct, this is my 50th year of following Duke hoops.
    I was formulating my response when I saw this post.

I think Heyman was more like Christian than other Duke player I can recall.

Devil in the Blue Dress says it all with the "dark look" comment. In March of '63, at his final home game against UNC with Billy C., Artie scored 40+ (a career high as I recall), and he definitely had that look. I was fortunate enough to be in attendance that day.

Good call, Devil!
    Having followed Duke basketball for a little over 50 years, I would have to put Heyman and Christian one and two. Heyman only had 3 years of varsity ball and look at his stats. His intensity was next to none.

Add to that 40 point game against UNC 23 rebounds (I think that is right) and at only 6' 5".

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    Yes.

The Shot. One of many clutch performances.

#1 3-pt shot accuracy all time Duke school history: 48.5%

Rediculously efficient shooting %: Frosh: 72.3, Soph: 51.1, Jr.: 57.5, Sr.: 57.5, Career: 57.4% (#4 all-time with more than twice the attempts of anyone above him.)

#1 Duke all time FT made: 713 -- Career 80.6% from FT line (#7 all-time.)

Defensive monster who absolutely shut down Larry Johnson (in a game where he played all 40 minutes!) and many others.

2460 points (#3 all-time.)
    1149 Rebounds (#3 all-time.)
    273 Asists
    243 Steals (#5 all-time and second to Battier among non-guards)
    145 Blocks (#5 all-time)
    hose a

I personally don't consider Laettner the best college player of all time. But you haven't even scratched the surface in regards to Laettner's stats. His NCAA tournament stats and great performances are second to nobody's. Laettner's statistics certainly suggest that he is one of the top five college performers of all-time, which is supercalifragilisticexpealidocious!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

The Greatest Ever

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Laettner is the all time best Duke player without question. He was an absolute killer. He put up the stats, won the championships and made big plays in big games. Grant was a Scotty Thurmond prayer from challenging Laettner but even so I think Laettner is tops.

Championships make a huge difference. Dan Marino was a great QB but not a champion.
    Not suprisingly my tarheel "associates" (not friends!) all claim that Michael Jordan was the greatest college basketball player of all time. So coming from them it must be true and no further discussion is needed.

However, Laettner not only had the stats, the wins, and the titles to prove his case, he also had the persona and iconic stature by the time he left worthy of being the greatest player in college basketball history.

2 titles, 4 Final Fours, 2 iconic Tourney buzzer beaters, the records, a retired jersey at Duke, and oh yeah the defining moment in all of college basketball...