Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Duke 110, Colgate 58 Post-Game Thread

Discuss the game here!
    Bob Green

Defense looked good again. In the first half, Colgate hit some improbable shots in spite of good D. Our offense struggled, but we still scored 40+ points. In the 2nd half, their improbable shots stopped falling and our offense came around!

I love the offensive spark Curry/Dawkins are going to bring as first of the bench.

-c

Game Tracker

Hard to form much of an opinion from Game tracker, but it seemed Thorton and Dawkins played well and were efficient. Kyrie didn't need to play much tonight but did a good job while in and Nolan also played well. Looking forward to a more detailed wrapup from someone who actually was at the game.

Sick game. First 5 minutes of the second half were as good as we've played in some time. This team clearly has an A game that few can contend with; we'll just need to bring in at the right times.

Kyrie was clearly the best player on the court. The whole team played tremendous defense all game long - again. No one gets past Kyrie and Ryan Kelly was everywhere. I know it was only Colgate, but I have to start working on managing my expectations.

Can't wait for this team to be challenged. How will the offense look when the D is able to take away the easy buckets (or, more likely, just reduce the number of layups and wide open threes)? Can't wait for the next few weeks. We haven't been forced to execute in the half-court yet.

If Colgate didn't play so hard, we could have won by 70 or 80 tonight.

I love seeing Nolan and Kyrie switch on D. It must be so demoralizing to think you have a step on one, and then the other is right in front of you.

Looking good.

Curry - I hope he isn't regretting his Transfer to Duke. I know he won't show it, but inside I kinda feel like he's not getting everything he was expecting.. (Not from Duke, but from Himself) Hopefully he was just a little off and that is a bad feeling I've gotten.

Plumlees - Gotta do better. We need more from them inside. Sometimes they look like they're trying too hard. Mason had some pointless fouls 30 foot from the basket. Miles just acts like a linebacker sometimes.

Singler - Tough as nails. Sick but still all the hustle we could ever want. A quiet 18 points.

Smith - Did a great job and is a factor in almost every play..

Kelly - WOW! What a different player, I honestly wasn't expecting him to be this much better. There were a few possessions where I felt like he was involved in every play.

Irving - Potential is more than we know! I am so impressed with what he's doing, and I'm also very happy that he's not rushing his progression as a player. Its going to be fun watching him!

Dawkins - One of my favorite players! I don't know why, but I feel like when he scores, I wanna tell someone "See I told you he's great" I like his new confidence on the floor.

Overall, I was impressed with the team's defense and the beginning of the second half, they came out and poured it on like I've been wanting to see. I'm very excited! We need alot more from the Bigs, but other than that!

This team is so offensively potent, it's amazing to watch. With Kyrie running it and all the weapons we have, it's really beautiful when they hit those spurts where it's all clicking.

What I like most so far is the defense. They aren't slacking off at all, not even against weaker competition. Great offensive teams can tend to rely on that, not focusing as hard on defense, knowing they can make it up. Not these guys. Credit Kyle, Nolan, and coaching staff for that.

That defense will be the key to our success. If we play at that level on defense, make teams have to work like hell to score, and generate easy points on the break, we're going to be very very hard to stop.

It's good to have a team that can score 110 points when your two All-Americans go 10-29 from the field. GO DUKE and GTHC!

We've seen Duke teams with "spurt-ability" before, with the weapons and style to put up points in bunches. But this team seems to have a huge dose of that capability. They can generate turnovers, get the ball downcourt in a hurry, and either get to the rim or locate some great shooters who can knock down 3-pointers. Our depth accentuates this; we can wear a team down, and then hit them with a quick run. Very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff0r3 View Post

Plumlees - Gotta do better. We need more from them inside. Sometimes they look like they're trying too hard. Mason had some pointless fouls 30 foot from the basket. Miles just acts like a linebacker sometimes.
    Miles and Mason combined for 18 points, 12 rebounds, four steals, and two blocked shots. Those are decent numbers.
    Bob Green

Talking Thoughts on the game.

2 Plumlees. 37 minutes. 10 fouls. (Mason had 5 fouls in 13 minutes...seemed like longer but not good!)

Curry a poor shooting night and some forced shots

The defense really is incredible.

Kyrie is undoubtedly the best freshman basketball player I have watched in a Duke uniform, his one man stop/start fast break and thread the needle passes are incredible. Impact player tonight even with limited minutes.

Hairston and Thornton both bring a lot of energy and steadiness for freshmen. We will enjoy their play and growth for years to come. I see them being great senior leaders.

Ryan and Andre are both bringing it every night and tonight was no exception. Major steps forward for both of them in the first 3 games of the season. They were both solid tonight and Ryan was the most effective offensive big in the game. Andre shot well and was active on defense.

Not a great shooting night for Kyle, but lots of rebounds in traffic. He is a tough customer. If Mason and Miles had a bit more of that, they would be unstoppable on the boards.

Nolan has made a quantum leap as a passer. Tons of assists, he looks more and more like the point guard that we wanted to see his sophomore year. Bodes well for him next year as he tries to make a jump to the pros.

All in all a great defensive effort. The thing that will beaten up ad nauseum on the boards will be the fouls that the Plumbros give up, as well as the lack of a dominating rebounding effort against a smaller team. (Miles did have 8 in 24 which is pretty good actually)

In their defense, and I think this is more true of Miles, we are a better defensive team when they are on the court. At the end when they were out and Ryan and Josh were inside, Colgate took it inside much more often and with much greater success.

Plumlee development is going to be a season long topic on the boards, hopefully one or both of them will make a big jump during the season, it just hasn't happened yet.

Oh yeah...we scored a 110 points!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluealum View Post
    2 Plumlees. 37 minutes. 10 fouls. (Mason had 5 fouls in 13 minutes...seemed like longer but not good!)
    True, but think of what Z and Lance would have been like in this defense. It demands so much more rotation and switching from the bigs when the guards are playing 'classic' Duke pressure D. Part of why they succeeded so much last year is that they weren't asked to anchor such controlled chaos on defense as the Plumlees are this year.

I think they will get their legs under them and reduce the fouls as the season goes on. However, it will certainly continue to be a problem.

I take nothing from this game about the team itself. Terrible opponent.

In terms of continuing trends for individuals:

-Irving continues to be an absolute freak.
    -Kyle struggling from distance for the second straight game- not worried
    -The Plumlees still have terrible fundamentals on rebounding-- jumping rather than bodying, one hand rather than two almost every time.
    - Continue to be impressed by Hairston's hustle and rebounding fundamentals
    - Continue to be impressed with how Tyler runs the team.
    - Dawkins still looks like the most improved player on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff0r3 View Post
    Looking good.

Curry - I hope he isn't regretting his Transfer to Duke. I know he won't show it, but inside I kinda feel like he's not getting everything he was expecting.. (Not from Duke, but from Himself) Hopefully he was just a little off and that is a bad feeling I've gotten.
    Please. Curry's shot is off -- as streak shooters are prone to do at times -- and you jump to this conclusion? It almost doesn't seem like a legitimate opinion. Curry still scored 11, he's been in double digits every game, he's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtilal View Post
    True, but think of what Z and Lance would have been like in this defense. It demands so much more rotation and switching from the bigs when the guards are playing 'classic' Duke pressure D. Part of why they succeeded so much last year is that they weren't asked to anchor such controlled chaos on defense as the Plumlees are this year.

I think they will get their legs under them and reduce the fouls as the season goes on. However, it will certainly continue to be a problem.
    You know that is a good point. The type of defense we are playing is more demanding. On the other hand several of those reach in fouls away from the basket were hardly a function of rotations. It's game 3 and the example of Z reminds us that great improvement can happen over the course of a few weeks. The Plums have all the tools, it just hasn't clicked as yet. It will be interesting to watch how the brother's P, handle Michigan States physicality and rebounding acumen.

110 points and there is room for growth. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluealum View Post
    You know that is a good point. The type of defense we are playing is more demanding. On the other hand several of those reach in fouls away from the basket were hardly a function of rotations. It's game 3 and the example of Z reminds us that great improvement can happen over the course of a few weeks. The Plums have all the tools, it just hasn't clicked as yet. It will be interesting to watch how the brother's P, handle Michigan States physicality and rebounding acumen.

110 points and there is room for growth. Nice!
    I'm really hoping that the Duke-KState matchup happens for the exact reason you just stated. I really want to see the Plumlee's have to play a more responsible game of basketball. I think KState would be a huge test for them.

Coach K post game audio and game observations - http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/11/b...game-comments/

My favorite part of this team so far is how excited I am when Andre and Seth come into the game as the first substitutions. Totally changes the strengths of the offense, but we don't become any easier to guard. That play Andre had, the pump-fake, one dribble to his left, then a picture-perfect jumper -- I'm sure I scared the neighbors when I yelled after that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtilal View Post
    My favorite part of this team so far is how excited I am when Andre and Seth come into the game as the first substitutions. Totally changes the strengths of the offense, but we don't become any easier to guard. That play Andre had, the pump-fake, one dribble to his left, then a picture-perfect jumper -- I'm sure I scared the neighbors when I yelled after that one.
    Yeah, I agree; the talent on the perimeter is incredible.

My favorite stat so far---Kyrie and Nolan are averaging 14 assists per game combined (Nolan has 22 assists and Kyrie 20 so far) and 4 turnovers per game combined. Finding an open 3-pt shooter can count for an assist, too.

As a few folks have said... I expected amazing offense, but the D has been GREAT... SO active. Kyrie forced a few 5 second calls, Ryan forced a 5 second inbounds call... very active hands and feet... the D, especially on the perimeter, has just been outstanding. When shots aren't falling, you need your D to save you, and I feel like ours is pretty good even at this VERY early point in the season.