Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    "Probably" overblowing things? It's complete hyperbole.

Duke is the best team in college basketball this year, but if we played a full season in the NBA and we got to double figures in victories it would be a major upset.
    Another example of facetiousness failing to translate. I have a hard time envisioning us not going 0-82 against an NBA schedule. Maybe we'd have some close games in Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Marquette coach Buzz Williams says, "I think that they're good enough to be an above-.500 team in the NBA". Probably overblowing things, but I like his attitude.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golde...109798479.html
    What? You didn't believe what you read in the DBR preview?

I'm pretty confident that if Irving hypothetically stayed next year, Duke's back court would be better than the Bobcats' is this year.

Rivers, Irving, Dawkins, Curry, Cook, Thornton

vs.

Augustin, Livingston, Henderson, Carroll, Collins -- you'd probably have to include Steven Jackson too which would tilt it in the Bob's favor, but it's almost debatable.

People said the same thing about our 1999 team - that it could compete against most NBA teams. It's a nice way for opposing coaches to cover their bases. If they lose, who can blame them? Duke just has too much talent. And if they win, they just beat an NBA-caliber team!

I guess the trick for the Marquette coach is to use such excessively hyperbolic terminology, yet still convince his own team that they have a chance to win.

(Hyperbolic? Is that even a word?)

Great article about Vander Blue and his friendship with Kyrie. Looks like a kid that would have fit right in had he come to Duke. Great character and apparently a great defensive player.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/109914644.html

Here's hoping he plays well, but his team doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewebe14 View Post
    I'm pretty confident that if Irving hypothetically stayed next year, Duke's back court would be better than the Bobcats' is this year.
    He's not, and it wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    (Hyperbolic? Is that even a word?)
    It absolutely is.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Another example of facetiousness failing to translate. I have a hard time envisioning us not going 0-82 against an NBA schedule. Maybe we'd have some close games in Cameron.
    Oh, OK. Sorry, my bad.

Rivers, Irving, Dawkins, Curry, Cook, Thornton

vs.

Augustin, Livingston, Henderson, Carroll, Collins -- you'd probably have to include Steven Jackson too which would tilt it in the Bob's favor, but it's almost debatable.
    Well, yeah, you probably would have to include Jackson since he's their starter at SG. And no, it's not debatable. You think Austin Rivers as a freshman would even be better than Gerald Henderson, two years improved from when he was first team All-ACC? And G can barely break into the rotation. I'm sorry to say this but the Bobcats would mop the floor with us.

Or are you being facetious too?

You guys obviously don't watch much bobcats bball -- the only player definitely better than irving and rivers is jackson. And yes I bet Rivers and Irving are going to be a lot better than henderson, augustin, livingston, and collins

You guys obviously don't watch much bobcats bball -- the only player definitely better than irving and rivers is jackson. And yes I bet Rivers and Irving are going to be a lot better than henderson, augustin, livingston, and collins
    Eventually they may be better. They won't be better their freshman year. There's a reason they talk about "men" and "boys."

As far as the posters who are stating that coach K wouldn't base his starting lineup on what our opponents' strengths are, I totally agree. I was suggesting that it would be interesting if he went with a smller lineup (including Dawkins) being that it has been the most effective to date. Not that he would necessarily do it, but just a possibility. This game will offer us a better glimpse as to where our true strengths and weaknesses are. I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    It absolutely is.
    Not only is it a word, it's without a doubt the greatest word in the history of humanity.

"Going to be" is not "is." We've only seen Irving against Ivy and Patriot League opponents; we've only seen Rivers against high school kids. Comparing them to NBA players at this point is folly.

Pros are better than coeds.

I was a freshman with Shane, Elton, Chris Burgess and William Avery. Early in the school year, I witnessed a scrimmage between current and former Blue Devils. Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, Danny Ferry, Marty Clark and Thomas Hill were on a team together. Elton was talking a ton of smack to Christian before the game. Christian proceeded to score all 11 of his teams points. They won 11-5 IIRC. A professional Christian Laettner made a freshman Elton look silly. I'll never forget Laettner shooting a 35-footer to finish it off. He turned around while the ball was still in the air and yelled, "game!" Elton just shook his head.

Later, an already injured Hurley toyed with Wojo.

However, we did see Austin (as a rising high school senior) hold his own against the number one pick, John Wall. Just sayin'...

Is anyone else worried about tonight's game?

Quote Originally Posted by GLTBD View Post
    You mean like being on the west coast stuck at work until around 8 pm EST? Yeah, that worries me.

But seriously, Marquette's not a slouch team. Duke's favored by 12, but they still have to put the round orange thingy into the hoop thingy more than Marquette does. They could lose against any decent team by having a bad night and the other shooting lights out.

call me naive but im not worried about any game this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GLTBD View Post
    I worry about every game. It's not that I'm really worried as much as it is I'm just naturally a Nervous Nellie.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by _TheFakeJWill_ View Post
    call me naive but im not worried about any game this year.
    I tend to worry a lot and believe in Karma. Duke or any team for that matter should not overlook their opponents and take for granted they will always win.

Don't plan on seeing the start of the DUKE game. Tipoff time allegedly 7:35, as per Duke radio pregame show. Still halftime of OU-ky.

espn strikes again.