Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Derek Jeter to the Cincy Reds?!?!

Well, that is what one unnamed Yankee exec is talking about

I have to say that paying Jeter $80+ million for the next 4 years is on par with Donovan McNabb and Joe Johnson in the realm of bad, bad contracts that will look really, really horrible in a few years.

--Jason "I am not sure any other team would offer him even $15 mil for 2 or 3 years" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, that is what one unnamed Yankee exec is talking about

I have to say that paying Jeter $80+ million for the next 4 years is on par with Donovan McNabb and Joe Johnson in the realm of bad, bad contracts that will look really, really horrible in a few years.

--Jason "I am not sure any other team would offer him even $15 mil for 2 or 3 years" Evans
    Because Jeter is worth far more to the Yankees than simply wins and losses, it is not a question of what some other team would pay him. That's the difficulty here. Jeter is synonymous with pinstripes in the post-strike era of relative Yankee dominance; he is the captain; the face of the franchise, a fan favorite and prince of the city. There is no easy way to value how much revenue he brings to the Yankees. So it is not fair to compare him to an equivalent shortstop in terms of stats. In other words, how much revenue and brand equity would the Yankees lose if Jeter signed with the Reds? By the same token, how much does Jeter lose (salary, endorsements, marketability) by taking less money to go play in a small market like Cincy?

This is a true game of chicken negotiation. Both sides know that the other stands to lose a lot if the deal doesn't get done. But they also know that they can't afford to part ways and the other side knows that they know that.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

As bad as the Yankees would look for losing Jeter to another team, Jeter would look that bad for going to another team instead of the Yankees. What's Jeter worth on the open market? $12M per year for 3 years? He can't possibly take a lesser offer from another team. So as far as I'm concerned all the Yankees have to do is offer him more than any other team would give him (say $15M per for 3 or $18M per for 2) and then wait for him to accept it.

I'm a huge Yankee fan. And being in my early to mid 30s, Jeter is what I grew up watching (well, Mattingly and then Jeter). I say if he doesn't want to stay w/ the Yankees then let him go somewhere else. If you are going to break the bank for someone it should be Rivera. While you're at it throw a bunch of money to get Pettitte to come back for 1 more year too. If Jeter wants A-Rod money then he need a reality check. A-Rod isn't even worth A-Rod money.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    As bad as the Yankees would look for losing Jeter to another team, Jeter would look that bad for going to another team instead of the Yankees. .
    Wait, what? How does Jeter end up looking bad for taking any offer?

As bad as the Yankees would look for losing Jeter to another team, Jeter would look that bad for going to another team instead of the Yankees.
    Why would Jeter look bad for going to another team, at least assuming another team offered him more than the Yankees?
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Because part of the marketing of Derek Jeter, baseball God, is that he is Mr. Yankee. He is synonymous with the Yankees, winning, etc etc etc. I can pretty much guarantee that at the press conference where he signs his contract with the Yankees, the quotes will be
    "I'm just so happy to be able to play my entire career as a NY Yankee, it was never about the money but being able to finish out here with the team/city I love." Whether you believe any of it is true or not, it at least sounds good and endears Jeter to the city.

Imagine for a moment(if you are old enough for this to apply) if Cal Ripken had signed a 2 year deal worth $20 million or so(trying to remember what a high salary was 15 years ago) to end his career with the Yankees(or Red Sox, or another big money franchise). The knock on him would have been huge. As it stands, Ripken is the epitome of the Orioles for anyone under the age of 50(older folks might harken back to Robinson, Palmer, etc). He still would be considered a great player, but on a more personal level, he be like any other player, only looking out for #1 and taking the money and running. Jeter can stay in NY, be beloved, and get the money. To do otherwise would be incredibly foolish - and even though the Yankees aren't just rolling over and signing him for whatever he wants, they aren't foolish enough to make him walk away either.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Why would Jeter look bad for going to another team, at least assuming another team offered him more than the Yankees?
    How would the Yankees look bad if they offer Jeter more than another team and Jeter decides to take the other offer instead?

If you read my post I explain that the Yankees should offer more than any other team. At that point if Jeter goes elsewhere he's the one that looks bad. There's no reason for them to overpay any more than that. I see plenty of people saying the Yankees should pay Jeter way more than any other team would pay him and I just don't see it.

In summary... Yankees look bad if they get outbid by another team for Jeter (the likelihood of this is near zero). Jeter looks bad if he goes to another team while turning down a higher offer from the Yankees (likelihood much greater than the previous sentence).

Clearly Jeter would lose a lot by leaving NY, and even if another team offered him more money than the Yankees, which won't happen, it's even less likely another team would offer him money that exceeds not only the Yankees' offer but also the difference in marketing opportunities between remaining in NY and somewhere else. But I don't think he'd look bad if such an offer came about and he took it. And I think that if there's actually anyone out there for whom it would be a revelation to discover that Jeter is "like any other player, only looking out for #1", they're a small, naive minority. (Or hype-buying yankee fans, who I can't deny exist since I know too many of them).

How would the Yankees look bad if they offer Jeter more than another team and Jeter decides to take the other offer instead?

If you read my post I explain that the Yankees should offer more than any other team. At that point if Jeter goes elsewhere he's the one that looks bad. There's no reason for them to overpay any more than that. I see plenty of people saying the Yankees should pay Jeter way more than any other team would pay him and I just don't see it.

In summary... Yankees look bad if they get outbid by another team for Jeter (the likelihood of this is near zero). Jeter looks bad if he goes to another team while turning down a higher offer from the Yankees (likelihood much greater than the previous sentence).
    I'm not following you at all. The concept of Jeter looking bad for taking a lesser offer from another team doesn't make any sense - why would Jeter, or anyone, take a lesser offer? And why on earth would it be more likely, apparently much more likely, that he'd do that, than that they'd be somehow be outbid. I agree, there's basically no likelihood they get outbid. But it would be truly irrational for Jeter to accept a lower contract elsewhere, so I just don't understand your point at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I'm not following you at all. The concept of Jeter looking bad for taking a lesser offer from another team doesn't make any sense - why would Jeter, or anyone, take a lesser offer? And why on earth would it be more likely, apparently much more likely, that he'd do that, than that they'd be somehow be outbid. I agree, there's basically no likelihood they get outbid. But it would be truly irrational for Jeter to accept a lower contract elsewhere, so I just don't understand your point at all.
    You followed pretty much all of it. I just see a scenario where Jeter ends up asking the Yankees for more than they are willing to give him (which is much more than any other team would give him) and then he decides to take another team's offer just to spite the Yankees. I mean Jeter basically has no bargaining power unless he threatens to take a lesser offer from another team. What else is he going to do? Retire? He's already asking for more than he could get from any other team.

People do end up taking lesser offers. Johnny Damon last year ended up with a much lower offer than the Yankees had originally offered him. Not saying the situation is exactly the same (since I believe the Yankees eventually pulled their offer off the table after some amount of time) but it does happen.

I just don't see the point in the Yankees bidding against themselves for Jeter. Jeter has an incredible value to the Yankees, but his value is significantly less for every other team. Likewise the Yankees have an incredible value for Jeter. Eventually they are going to make a deal just because they both win just by him signing with them.

The Captain Derek Jeter will die a New York Yankee. End of story.

Question-- do ya'll know how much Jeter has made over the course of his MLB career?

Just his baseball contracts come to $205 million. That is not counting endorsements and other ancillary income. SI estimated a few months ago that he would make $10-mill in endorsements this year. SI put the figure at $8.5 million in 2009. So, lets add another 70 million onto his baseball earnings to come up with $275 million that he has earned over the past 15 years in baseball.

Now, I do not begrudge this money to Jeter. He has earned it for being one of the best in the world at what he does. His salary was what the market would bear for much of that time and seems fair.

But, I do wonder why he is being somewhat difficult right now, at the end of his career, when the Yankees appear to be offering far more than what he is worth on the open market. According to reports, the Yankees offered him 3-years at $21-mil each. Does he feel insulted by that? Does anyone think he could make more than maybe half of that on the open market?

Is the biggest hangup that there is no 4th year in the deal? Well, if he is still playing well at the end of 3 years, I am sure the Yankees will pay him to play a 4th year (and maybe a 5th) when this deal is done.

I dunno, it just doesn't make much sense to me for Jeter to play hard ball. He got a more than fair offer and he is already rich beyond his wildest dreams. I don't get it.

--Jason "the Yankees should stay firm and call Jeter's bluff-- no way Jeter takes much less from someone else to leave NY" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Question-- do ya'll know how much Jeter has made over the course of his MLB career?

Just his baseball contracts come to $205 million. That is not counting endorsements and other ancillary income. SI estimated a few months ago that he would make $10-mill in endorsements this year. SI put the figure at $8.5 million in 2009. So, lets add another 70 million onto his baseball earnings to come up with $275 million that he has earned over the past 15 years in baseball.

Now, I do not begrudge this money to Jeter. He has earned it for being one of the best in the world at what he does. His salary was what the market would bear for much of that time and seems fair.

But, I do wonder why he is being somewhat difficult right now, at the end of his career, when the Yankees appear to be offering far more than what he is worth on the open market. According to reports, the Yankees offered him 3-years at $21-mil each. Does he feel insulted by that? Does anyone think he could make more than maybe half of that on the open market?

Is the biggest hangup that there is no 4th year in the deal? Well, if he is still playing well at the end of 3 years, I am sure the Yankees will pay him to play a 4th year (and maybe a 5th) when this deal is done.

I dunno, it just doesn't make much sense to me for Jeter to play hard ball. He got a more than fair offer and he is already rich beyond his wildest dreams. I don't get it.

--Jason "the Yankees should stay firm and call Jeter's bluff-- no way Jeter takes much less from someone else to leave NY" Evans
    This I entirely agree with. Jeter is risking looking bad by demanding more than what has been offered. If he were coming off a year when he hit .325 and was top 5 in the MVP, then he could ask for a 4 or 5 year deal. But getting 3 years at $20+ mil per year is a VERY generous offer from the Yankees. If he is still playing at a high level in 3 years, then he'll get another 2 year deal, just as Mariano will this year.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

I guess he wants more. I'm not sure why any fan should have a problem with Jeter trying to get as much as possible in his last deal. It's the American Way, and more importantly, it's the Yankee Way.

But, I do wonder why he is being somewhat difficult right now, at the end of his career, when the Yankees appear to be offering far more than what he is worth on the open market.
    The purchasing power of the money is not very important to athletes in Jeter's stratosphere. Instead, it is the signifying power of the money. The size and heft of the contract speaks to their place in the sport/clubhouse/etc. It is the bottom line indication of their abilities as an athlete.

It is a given that any athlete like Jeter is ultra competitive. So, I think he is competing to get a contract that reflects the value he places on his own abilities/contribution/etc. That he may have an inflated view of that value compared to the market place would not be horribly surprising, but we'll have to see how it plays out to see if that is correct.

All that said, it is hard to imagine that he would take less money from another team to spite the Yankees. I don't think spite is enough. If he thinks that Yankees are lowballing him, he is only going to go with another offer if that offer makes him appear to be more valuable. However that breaks down, it would have to demonstrate that the other team wanted him more than the Yankees.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Probably from his end, he is looking to not take a pay cut. That may be it, he doesn't want it to be seen as cutting his pay, signifying that he is on the way out(regardless of the reality of it all). So if he can just get the same level as his last contract, which is a million or two more per year, that would be enough to stroke his ego and keep him happy. That's my thought anyway.

Here are some interesting articles from the New York papers:
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...A5WFqPjz6b3VTK

I believe an offer of $15 million a year, for 3 years is more than fair, in fact I would have offered a lot less, but put in a number of reachable incentives.

Talking Not At Any Price

As bad as the Yankees would look for losing Jeter to another team, Jeter would look that bad for going to another team instead of the Yankees.
    If Jeter is willing to play for the Yankees at any price, he's an idiot -- because they would clearly offer him the veterans' minimum.

Sic transit gloria: you can't play forever.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If Jeter is willing to play for the Yankees at any price, he's an idiot -- because they would clearly offer him the veterans' minimum.

Sic transit gloria: you can't play forever.

sagegrouse
    Who said he'd be willing to play for the Yankees at any price?

I agree w/ the $15M per for 3 years being a good deal. It is somewhat generous (more than he'd get anywhere else) but yet not ridiculous. You never know what's happening behind those closed doors but if Jeter is asking for $20M+ per then he's being a bit crazy (and if the Yankees give it to him they are even crazier).

according to the article linked, Jeter turned down 3 years at 63 million. That is absurd. Is he really looking for another 5 yr, 100 million dollar contract?
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.