Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    I have a question. So, am I correct in thinking the 2013 class is the first graduating class which will be affected by the new 20 year-old NBA age limit? If we somehow get Jabari AND Julius Randle for 2 years . . . WOW. That would be something.
    The NBA Age limit still hasn't been completely decided. It was reported yesterday that it's widely expect that it will remain at 19 for at least the first two years of the collective bargaining agreement. After two years, things could change potentially, but it's far from a sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    The NBA Age limit still hasn't been completely decided. It was reported yesterday that it's widely expect that it will remain at 19 for at least the first two years of the collective bargaining agreement. After two years, things could change potentially, but it's far from a sure thing.
    The issue will be decided by Christmas, they will decide now whether the age will change in two years. The way it is being discussed, it sounds like the 2 year delay is the compromise reached.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The issue will be decided by Christmas, they will decide now whether the age will change in two years. The way it is being discussed, it sounds like the 2 year delay is the compromise reached.
    Where have you read that? The only sources I see say "it is expected to remain at 19 for at least the first two years of the new deal and possibly beyond that."

http://tracking.si.com/2011/11/30/nb...-19-years-old/
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/72...ba-sources-say

I have certainly read that the owners/league want to change it to 20, but haven't read a source that said players will compromise on that and thus the new timeline will be two years at 19 and then 20 thereafter. I'm not claiming to be an expert, though, and certainly could have missed a source, so feel free to correct my misconceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by duke1983 View Post
    I came across this article about Julius Randle. Apparently there is a quote from him which states:

"There is a high chance I go to Duke"

He also mentions that he is wide open right now, but I haven't heard this kind of quote from him before today so I wanted to get everyones thoughts...

http://fivestarbasketball.com/commit...for-the-future
    My thoughts are his comment sounds great. It's more common to hear a recruit say he is high on a school versus there is a high chance he will go to that school. Matt Jones recently committing certainly helps with this situation. But until it's official, I'll keep my optimism guarded. We'll see if Randle continues to speak this way after the dust settles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Where have you read that? The only sources I see say "it is expected to remain at 19 for at least the first two years of the new deal and possibly beyond that."

http://tracking.si.com/2011/11/30/nb...-19-years-old/
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/72...ba-sources-say

I have certainly read that the owners/league want to change it to 20, but haven't read a source that said players will compromise on that and thus the new timeline will be two years at 19 and then 20 thereafter. I'm not claiming to be an expert, though, and certainly could have missed a source, so feel free to correct my misconceptions.
    Probably more inference on my part than implication by reports on the negotiations. If the two year point wasn't significant, I don't think it would be so universally reported.

Am I the only one that feels that Jones hasn't been given the amount of coverage here that other commits have received? I'm excited about him. Right now, he's rated at 23 overall on scout, certainly a McD All American next year, but it doesn't seem to be talked about here. Great way to start next year's class IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Am I the only one that feels that Jones hasn't been given the amount of coverage here that other commits have received? I'm excited about him. Right now, he's rated at 23 overall on scout, certainly a McD All American next year, but it doesn't seem to be talked about here. Great way to start next year's class IMO.
    I believe any fan that truly follows recruiting is very excited to have Matt Jones on board for 2013 especially considering we will have a real need for a shooting guard with the departures of Curry and Dawkins. There are a few reasons you may feel he is not getting the coverage of other players.

1. He committed super early and did not string it out like (Tony Parker and Shabazz). Alex Murphy and Rasheed are two of our most recent commits that you could say the same thing. They commit early and we feel great about it but the more talk will be who else joins them in that class.
    2. The season has started and 2013 is 2 years away
    3. We are really concerned about a big for next year (please commit Tony Parker)

Matt Jones also has his own thread now so new topics will be brought up there. I love Matt Jones game. His three point shooting is incredible, he can pull up for a mid range shot and bury it and is very good on the defensive end of the floor. He is currently working on strenght, handle and getting to the rim.

Go Duke!!!
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Being ranked 23rd does not make a guy a "certain" McDonalds All-American (only 24 players are selected), although being a Duke commit helps his cause. In addition to what bluedevil said, Jones is in the unique position of having strong ties to one of the potentially truly great prospects of the last decade, so his commitment has fueled more speculation about Randle perhaps than news about the commitment in and of itself.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

http://dukechronicle.com/article/k-g...-texas-recruit

Another good article on Matt Jones to Duke as well as his relationship with Julius Randle. Nothing new, but it def. makes you feel good about our chances of having a Texas Trio at Durham in 2013...

Quote Originally Posted by duke1983 View Post
    http://dukechronicle.com/article/k-g...-texas-recruit

Another good article on Matt Jones to Duke as well as his relationship with Julius Randle. Nothing new, but it def. makes you feel good about our chances of having a Texas Trio at Durham in 2013...
    And another one here from Zags on the same topic. Intriguing quote from Randle, which may have already been posted elsewhere, so sorry if not new news.

”Duke, pretty much, that’s a great school, great tradition. They have one of the best coaches ever … There is a high chance I might go to Duke. I’m looking everywhere, I’m wide open.”

Randle's ESPN Blog

Nothing new, but some more favorable words about Duke. LINK

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Nothing new, but some more favorable words about Duke. LINK
    Found it interesting that Randle couldn't visit Kentucky because he had to take the SAT. I would have thought Cal would have arranged someone else to take it for him so he could come. Just Kidding

Having Randle would really help Duke fans forget about Parker. A Marshall -Randle front court would be dare-I-say-it athletic? I could definitely imagine playing Randle and Hairston and the 4-5 at times too if Marshall gets in foul trouble. With Quinn Running the show and great guards and wings like Gbinije, Murphy, Sulaimon, Jones...wow.

I would have loved to see the look on Calipari's face when he heard one of his recruits couldn't come because they had to take a test.

School? Tests? Homework?... gross.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    Having Randle would really help Duke fans forget about Parker. A Marshall -Randle front court would be dare-I-say-it athletic? I could definitely imagine playing Randle and Hairston and the 4-5 at times too if Marshall gets in foul trouble. With Quinn Running the show and great guards and wings like Gbinije, Murphy, Sulaimon, Jones...wow.
    Why would they want to forget one of the most talented Devils' players??!
    Silly LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    I would have loved to see the look on Calipari's face when he heard one of his recruits couldn't come because they had to take a test.

School? Tests? Homework?... gross.
    He should be excited that one of his recruits can spell SAT.

Let's keep it classy

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    He should be excited that one of his recruits can spell SAT.
    We're better than that guys. Let's not project Calamari's compromised judgment and standards on the quality of the kid's character, which he recruits. That's not fair. Im sure at some point we've targeted the same young men, maybe even Kyrie if memory serves (Rod Strickland?).

Julius Randle on ESPNU tonight at 7PM EST: http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2011/12/...ball-showcase/

Tony Parker and his Miller Grove squad are also on at 8 on ESPN.

Noel's teammates think Kentucky is a good fit for him: http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/12/19/n...m-at-kentucky/

Is the dribble-drive offense really so great for big men?
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Noel's teammates think Kentucky is a good fit for him: http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/12/19/n...m-at-kentucky/

Is the dribble-drive offense really so great for big men?
    Not sure why Zags is writing about random meanderings, not even of recruits themselves, but of their teammates. Regardless, the dribble drive isn't good for big men, but that's not the way a typical teen thinks. Whether we like it or not, Kentucky, due to their recent successes in recruiting and consequent production of NBA lottery picks, has a certain cachet going amongst elite high school ballers. It is a "cool" place to play. Perhaps even cooler than Duke. That's what seems to matter to many teens, even more than any concerns surrounding ethics, etc.