Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Thanks to roywhite for this link. I'm pretty sure he'd agree with me that you really want to read the whole article, not just the couple of great highlights he included. Lots of interesting recruiting info and stories.

Roy is telling you to read this. I recommend that you not cross roywhite. You've hear of Keyser Soze, right? Just a friendly suggestion.
    Co-sign. A great, great article. More a compilation of notes/anecdotes, but a very cool read. Thanks, RW.

Reply to comment from 2012 recruiting thread

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Any truth to Nerlens Noel looking to re-classify to the class of 2012?
    If so, does that bode well for Duke, possibly?
    Link?

I did see this web chat with Nerlens: http://www.coveritlive.com/index.php...=550&width=470.

He's asked directly whether there is any chance he reclassifies to 2012, and he says that he's not sure at this point. I don't take that to mean that he is "looking to re-classify."

He makes a few comments about Duke in here too - nothing ground-breaking, just that he is building a relationship with the coaching staff, Coach K wins and makes players better and that he's going to look into Capel's work with Blake Griffin. I like that he names Jabari Parker as one of the two guys in his class that he'd enjoy playing with in college and that the most important thing to him in choosing his school is an honest coaching staff. He'll have a list of 15 schools out in September.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Link?
    He's asked directly whether there is any chance he reclassifies to 2012, and he says that he's not sure at this point. I don't take that to mean that he is "looking to re-classify."
    Twitter noise. There are several audio links out there that I have not listened to. Who has the time to hit every one pf them. When the answer to a presumed Yes or No question is "maybe" then one has to wonder a lil bit... but that's just me.

I did find this nugget however. Shaq Cleare. Why does he have such a grudge against Duke?

Talking What Do You Expect from a Future Merlin Player?

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    I did find this nugget however. Shaq Cleare. Why does he have such a grudge against Duke?
    Aw, isn't the kid -- a future Terp -- just playing to Maryland fans?

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Aw, isn't the kid -- a future Terp -- just playing to Maryland fans?

sagegrouse
    I read it the same way. Even though he's apparently not firm to MD yet. But looking at Maryland's personnel situation, unless lightening strikes (several times) in the near future on the recruiting front, I'd say he's going to the wrong school if he wants to beat Duke much in the next few years...

P.S. I was the one who first posted about Nerlens Noel the other day, but I wouldn't read too much into it yet, as he might well be a (very good) fallback if Parker and McG fall through. That said, the kid seems to have a lot of potential! I did just go to the link Wilko posted, and the chat conversation between Noel and the various fans (each pushing their own school) was interesting. The kid is very well spoken, thoughtful. I like him.
    Last edited by -bdbd; 08-19-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Link?

I did see this web chat with Nerlens: http://www.coveritlive.com/index.php...=550&width=470.

I like that . . . the most important thing to him in choosing his school is an honest coaching staff.
    Well if he's serious about that, that should eliminate a few of our regular rivals on the recruiting trail, no?

Randle's Latest Blog

Mr. Randle's latest ESPN blog

Don't know much about him personally, but the fact that he gives recipes at the end of his blogs is endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Mr. Randle's latest ESPN blog

Don't know much about him personally, but the fact that he gives recipes at the end of his blogs is endearing.
    I would normally welcome a recruit's attending a typical in-season game at Duke and at UNC for the contrast, but he mentioned going to the Duke-Penn game, which is on Jan. 1, when the students will be away.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I would normally welcome a recruit's attending a typical in-season game at Duke and at UNC for the contrast, but he mentioned going to the Duke-Penn game, which is on Jan. 1, when the students will be away.
    Well, he said he'd be going to UNC the same day and their students will be away too. Or is your point that an empty Dean Dome doesn't sound all that different from a full one?

'13 combo guard Bronson Koenig verbally committed to Wisconsin over the weekend, declining offers from both Duke and UNC during the process to stay in-state.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    '13 combo guard Bronson Koenig verbally committed to Wisconsin over the weekend, declining offers from both Duke and UNC during the process to stay in-state.
    Is that Chekov's son?

UNC just jumped in the fray and extended an offer to 2013 6'4" sg Matt Jones.

He already has a Duke offer.

Hmm..

UNC just jumped in the fray and extended an offer to 2013 6'4" sg Matt Jones.

He already has a Duke offer.
    Interesting...maybe because Ole Roy knows that Jones might commit right after CTC...Roy doesn't want us to get any advantage over Randle so it seems plausible that he's trying to get Jones away from us.

Quote Originally Posted by akhan786 View Post
    Interesting...maybe because Ole Roy knows that Jones might commit right after CTC...Roy doesn't want us to get any advantage over Randle so it seems plausible that he's trying to get Jones away from us.
    Or possibly he thinks Jones is a good player and wants to recruit him? Everything isn't a conspiracy, as much as we might like to believe it is.

I'd guess that after missing on first choice Koenig, he's identified Jones as his next target for the shooting guard spot he obviously wants to fill.

I'd guess that after missing on first choice Koenig, he's identified Jones as his next target for the shooting guard spot he obviously wants to fill.
    Roy is on a good streak recruiting shooting guards - 2009 Dexter Strickland (#24 ranked recruit RSCI), Leslie McDonald (#44), 2010 Reggie Bullock (#15), 2011 P.J. Hairston (11), 2012 (in the mix for T.J. Warren #23), 2013?

He must feel he can't win with his system without an elite shooting guard, or is that an ultra-quick point guard, or was that a top notch big man, or an NBA-caliber small forward, or just that his teams tend to be more successful when they are more talented?
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Roy's recipe to date is very simple. His system requires an extremely fast and good north to south point guard. It's no coincidence UNC did a 180 when Marshall took over the point.

Jabari Parker

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    Wow, the more I read about this guy, the more I like him. Unreal skill level, great size & athleticism, seems like he's got a great head on his shoulders, wet jumper, and he's pretty good looking on top of all that. Sign me up. Go get him Coach K!!!

Jabari Parker Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zx6y0qx9Rc
    Someone said his father is Sonny Parker, former Golden State Warrior. As I recall, he was a pretty darn good player. We seem to do pretty well with sons of former NBA players.

Randle Midnight Madness elsewhere?

This link seems to indicate Mr. Randle is attending midnight madness somewhere despite the homecoming conflict he had cited in cancelling his trip to CTC. Perhaps he's going somewhere locally such that it is feasible to get there and also go to his homecoming? Just thought it was interesting...

Randle

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    This link seems to indicate Mr. Randle is attending midnight madness somewhere despite the homecoming conflict he had cited in cancelling his trip to CTC. Perhaps he's going somewhere locally such that it is feasible to get there and also go to his homecoming? Just thought it was interesting...
    Google search shows enough to indicate it is local, Texas.

41 minutes ago – Julius Randle has set up his midnight madness visit. Scout.com's No. 2 prospect in the 2013 class will stay local and head to Austin (Tex