Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    We should tread carefully here IMO. I'd rather struggle down-low this year and get Okafor next year, who with Jones would probably make us the 2015 favorites, then get this guy and have him being a center make Okafor think about going elsewhere. Not sure if how much that'd influence Okafor but this guy does look to be a center...
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

ESPN top 100

ESPN just posted today their top 100 prospects from the Class of 2014. It's slightly different than their earlier top 60 posting from the same class:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...s/_/order/true

For instance, Duke target Tyus Jones has dropped from No. 2 to No. 3 overall -- although he's still the top point guard. Myron Metcalf has a nice article up about Jones:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...ege-basketball

Duke has a chance -- just a chance -- at a historically good class. Still a long way to go, but Duke's top targets include (in order of ESPN's new ranking):

1. C Jahlil Okafor
    3. PG Tyus Jones
    4. PF Trey Lyles
    9. PF Kevon Looney
    12. SF Stanley Johnson
    15. SF Justise Winslow (dropped a bit from the earlier rankings)
    16. SG Devin Booker
    19. C Goodluck Okonobah
    27. SG Grayson Allen

Of course, Allen is the only commit. As noted earlier, some talk that Okonobah may reclassify as Class of 2013 -- frankly, I think that's Duke's best chance to get him.

I'm not an insider, but I think Johnson and Booker are kind of backburner guys (even some dispute as to whether Johnson has been offered. And is the Booker offer still good after Allen's commit??) Maybe a better insider than me could answer that.

Obviously, the key to the class is to land Okafor and Jones -- they keep insisting they are a team. There are also suggestions that Winslow makes it a three-way team. Add that trio and it's a historically good class ... throw in one more big man (Duke wants two in all) -- one of Looney/Lyles or Okonobah (no matter when he arrives) -- and we can start talking about where the class ranks all-time.

That's for the future -- we've seen similar dreams crumble. Right now, Duke's haul is not nearly the best in the ACC. Among players committed to ACC schools:

UNC has three top 14 prospects: No. 8 SF Justin Johnson, No. 13 SF Theo Pinson and No. 14 PG Joel Berry

Louisville has two top 100 guys: No. 28 PG Quentin Snyder and No. 53 SF Shaqquan Aaron

Syracuse has the top ACC commit so far: No. 7 PF Chris McCullough

NC State has one top 100 guy: No. 50 SG Caleb Martin

Wake has one top 100 guys: No. 69 PG Sheldon Mitchell -- that's a big drop from his top 60 rating in the high 20s

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    We should tread carefully here IMO. I'd rather struggle down-low this year and get Okafor next year, who with Jones would probably make us the 2015 favorites, then get this guy and have him being a center make Okafor think about going elsewhere. Not sure if how much that'd influence Okafor but this guy does look to be a center...
    'this guy" is a 5 star solid citizen who is also a dominating defensive player and shot blocker. He can play on my team any time, especially a team that is jammed with guys who can shoot the 3 and relatively devoid of shot blockers. Would his presence scare off Okafor? I'd think Okafor would be fine playing on a front line that might include some combination of Okonobah and rising guys like Plumlee, Murphy, Jefferson and possibly Parker and Hood. As has been said many times, the #1 player in the country's concerns about PT are about who gets to play alongside him rather than whether he'll get 30" a game--and judging from his interest in playing with Jones, it seems like he wants to maximize his chances of playing for a national championship. With that lineup for the year after next, what hypothetical college team would be more likely to play in a final four? And not that it necessarily matters to either of them, but don't both of them have Nigerian parents?

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    'this guy" is a 5 star solid citizen who is also a dominating defensive player and shot blocker. He can play on my team any time, especially a team that is jammed with guys who can shoot the 3 and relatively devoid of shot blockers. Would his presence scare off Okafor? I'd think Okafor would be fine playing on a front line that might include some combination of Okonobah and rising guys like Plumlee, Murphy, Jefferson and possibly Parker and Hood. As has been said many times, the #1 player in the country's concerns about PT are about who gets to play alongside him rather than whether he'll get 30" a game--and judging from his interest in playing with Jones, it seems like he wants to maximize his chances of playing for a national championship. With that lineup for the year after next, what hypothetical college team would be more likely to play in a final four? And not that it necessarily matters to either of them, but don't both of them have Nigerian parents?
    Point taken. I guess I didn't research this guy as well as I should... I'm just in general always wary of grabbing a guy at the last minute just for the sake of getting him. Based on the previous posts that's sort of what it sounded like we might be doing, but obviously that's not the case.

Withdrawn.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    'this guy" is a 5 star solid citizen who is also a dominating defensive player and shot blocker. He can play on my team any time, especially a team that is jammed with guys who can shoot the 3 and relatively devoid of shot blockers.
    Okonoboh is ranked as a four-star recruit by both Scout and Rivals, although ESPN has him as a 5-star. They rank him 37, 34, and 19 in his class of 2014 overall, respectively (for a composite of 29). While I'd love to have him on board, I don't think it's clear that he's an obvious upgrade from Amile for the upcoming 2013-14 season. Amile was a five-star recruit from Scout and four stars from Rivals and ESPN with a composite ranking of 27 and has a year of college under his belt, including bulking up, learning the ropes, and utilizing his 7'1" wingspan. Amile has shown he is pretty crafty around the basket and is also a decent shotblocker although he's certainly not overpowering. If Okonoboh reclassified, he'll clearly move down from 29 in the Class of 2013. Again, I'm all for getting Okonoboh on board and Duke clearly wants him - a shotblocking defensive cog at center would be great - but I don't think we should overlook players that are already on the team. Okonoboh isn't the second coming of Elton Brand - he's about the same build as Amile. I don't think having Okonoboh should negatively impact Duke's chances for Okafor.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So there is chatter on twitter and other boards that Goodluck Okonoboh may reclassify from 2014 to 2013 (he was originally in the class of 2013 but last fall reclassified to 2014). As discussed in the 2014 recruiting thread, he just received an offer from Duke. I hope this isn't premature speculation but there appears to be an outside chance that he could play for us THIS FALL. As a 6'9 shot blocker, could he be exactly what we need?
    It's not likely to happen so it's a moot point, but even if he came this year, not sure how much help it would be. Freshman bigs ranked outside the Top 15 generally take at least a year to adjust to Duke's system and the physicality of the college game. It would be a real longshot for him to even make the rotation and get decent minutes. I think our roster is now set for the coming season. We are just going to have to make do with the committee approach at Center and hope it is enough.