Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Oh, you're just kidding.

Can't you at least be Semi-serious?
    Defenders feel like they're trying to stop a Semi-truck.

I wonder

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Defenders feel like they're trying to stop a Semi-truck.
    When do you think he'll go semi-pro?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I haven't seen him play at all yet, so this is purely speculative. But I think the predictions of end of the rotation for next year are due to the following:
    1) he plays a position at which we are going to be absolutely loaded next year;
    2) he's not a top-15 level recruit, which has generally been a "no-fly" zone for freshmen; and
    3) Coach K has been very clear over the years about his preference for playing his best players the vast majority of the minutes.

It is unlikely that Ojeleye is going to be ready to beat out Hood, Sulaimon, Murphy, and (if he decides to come back) Dawkins for minutes at SG/SF given those players' talent and experience. If we add Parker (the #2 or #3 recruit in the nation), the odds get even longer for playing time next year, as the PF minutes get squeezed as well.

After next year, the equation may change (if Hood, Parker, Dawkins, and perhaps even Sulaimon are gone). But for the 2013-2014 season, we are going to have multiple top-30 recruits seeing little to no playing time.
    Agreed - I'm assuming Semi and Jones will be the 10th/11th men if Jabari comes, just by default.

I do think Semi could see a few minutes as the 4th big if we don't get Parker. One of my favorite things about him is his potential to play that vintage-Duke stretch 4 role - even though he's only 6'6-6'7, he's built like a truck, has a 6'10 wingspan, and is a really powerful leaper.

Honestly, I didn't know he was this much of a freak athlete - you can tell his competition is weak from this clip of his big game, but man, his elbows are at the rim off of like two steps. Really encouraging as far as being able to rebound/defend big forwards, IMO.

Thanks, Greg Newton for the comments and video.

The physical description Semi-reminds me of Gene Banks, recently mentioned and remembered with great fondness.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Agreed - I'm assuming Semi and Jones will be the 10th/11th men if Jabari comes, just by default.

I do think Semi could see a few minutes as the 4th big if we don't get Parker. One of my favorite things about him is his potential to play that vintage-Duke stretch 4 role - even though he's only 6'6-6'7, he's built like a truck, has a 6'10 wingspan, and is a really powerful leaper.

Honestly, I didn't know he was this much of a freak athlete - you can tell his competition is weak from this clip of his big game, but man, his elbows are at the rim off of like two steps. Really encouraging as far as being able to rebound/defend big forwards, IMO.

Yeah, that's impressive athleticism. I was going to mention that it doesn't look like he's playing the toughest competition, so it's hard to assess his skills. But the athleticism and strength seems pretty clear.

As for the playing time question, I think it's good for people to be realistic about the situation. We know Coach K is going to shorten the bench (especially against good teams). We know that we're incredibly stacked on the wing (at least in terms of depth, likely in terms of talent too). Being the 10th or 11th man on next year's team is not an indictment of the player. We're likely going to have 10+ players next year who were either top-30ish recruits or McDonald's All-Americans. And we'll have another guy who wasn't that highly-recruited but has become a Coach K favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I agree with this. I have seen Semi play once on TV, maybe one of those Feb 2012 ESPNU HS games?? My impression of him was that he sure liked to shoot 3s, but was even more effective getting to rim, because so strong.

Granted he's not likely a long-range 4 for Duke, but for 2013-'14 specifically, it sure seems to me that, with or without Parker, the only "classic" big is Marshall. Then we have Josh for solid backup duty, probably at the 5. Amile is a 4, needs to and presumably will gain a little weight by next season. I'd expect Amile and Alex, as well, to play mostly 4 next season, and think Semi might get a few - likely his very few - minutes at the 4, too.

But my thinking is premised on what I consider the likelihood that Duke will play quite often in 2013-'14 with a PG, a 5, and 3 "wings," all of the latter of whom will at some point guard the opposing 4. And for those who perfectly logically say, "Josh is no 5," I'll agree and say, therefore, sometimes Duke will play with a PG, a 4-who-must-guard-opposing-5, and 3 wings. In short [pun, intended or not], Duke will often "go small" next season in a way quite different from 3-guard. It will at times, for significant minutes, play "big" at the 2 and 3, but "small" at the 4 and 5.

As Ryan and Mason will be gone, unless Marshall plays 30+ mpg next year - unlikely - Duke will be relatively undersized at the 4 and 5 for some stretches of games. But lots of talent, experience, depth, and size at wings.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I agree with this. I have seen Semi play once on TV, maybe one of those Feb 2012 ESPNU HS games?? My impression of him was that he sure liked to shoot 3s, but was even more effective getting to rim, because so strong.

Granted he's not likely a long-range 4 for Duke, but for 2013-'14 specifically, it sure seems to me that, with or without Parker, the only "classic" big is Marshall. Then we have Josh for solid backup duty, probably at the 5. Amile is a 4, needs to and presumably will gain a little weight by next season. I'd expect Amile and Alex, as well, to play mostly 4 next season, and think Semi might get a few - likely his very few - minutes at the 4, too.

But my thinking is premised on what I consider the likelihood that Duke will play quite often in 2013-'14 with a PG, a 5, and 3 "wings," all of the latter of whom will at some point guard the opposing 4. And for those who perfectly logically say, "Josh is no 5," I'll agree and say, therefore, sometimes Duke will play with a PG, a 4-who-must-guard-opposing-5, and 3 wings. In short [pun, intended or not], Duke will often "go small" next season in a way quite different from 3-guard. It will at times, for significant minutes, play "big" at the 2 and 3, but "small" at the 4 and 5.As Ryan and Mason will be gone, unless Marshall plays 30+ mpg next year - unlikely - Duke will be relatively undersized at the 4 and 5 for some stretches of games. But lots of talent, experience, depth, and size at wings.
    I agree gum. The Duke staff has generally pretty good in anticipating these sorts of "deficiencies" and working over the Summer-Fall to plug them. For exampole, I absolutely expect that the Amile Jefferson we see 12 months from now will be MUCH more able to play the 4 and even the 5 in a pinch (tink of adding 20 pounds of muscle, hopefully ofer the offseason, if possible). But Between Josh and Amile I'd think we'd have the ability to plug that frontline/rebounding/interior-D hole capably whenever MP3 is out. And of course someone like Semi can certainly help, maybe at the 4 for stretches. (For those who doubt whether a 6'6"-6'7" long-armed leaper like that can play the 4 adequately, one of the best college 4's of all-time - a true monster rebounder - was Charles Barkley who was often listed at 6'7" or 6'6", but when measured at NBA draft camps turned out to be only about 6'5". I also think this points a little to the importance of getting Jabari Parker, who no doubt would soak up a lot of minutes at the 4 for us.

Nice to have the flexibility of all these very athletic, adaptive 6'5" - 6'8" "swing" guys finally...

How tall was D. Rodman? A great 4.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    How tall was D. Rodman? A great 4.
    I believe Rodman was listed as 6'8", but probably shorter.

Not as short as Barkley, though, who here in Philadelphia was generally believed to be around 6'4". We also had Clarence Witherspoon, who was listed at 6'6" or 6'7" but was probably also around 6'4".

Although I hope beyond all expectation that Semi's very-much-hypothetical minutes at the 4 in 2013-'14 will remind us of Barkley's mound-bounce and Rodman's ferocious energy, I'll settle for something less, if delightful all the same.

Even with lesser expectations, I'll be surprised if Semi's time at Duke is mostly as a 4, even a stretch-4. But maybe it'll work out that way, depending on recruiting and other factors. I'll just re-emphasize that for 2013-'14 specifically, with or without Parker, Duke is very likely sometimes to play various 3-stretching-to-stretch-4 guys to guard opposing 4s. Semi might be one such guy, for a few minutes.

Clearly next season's team will sport a different look and play differently from this season's. If anything, K could have lots of interesting, effective, and opponent-confusing-multiple-wing-stretch-guy-combos. Let's hope C.J. Barksdale, P.J. Hairston, J.P. Tokoto, C.J. Fair, T.J Warren, and J.J. Moore keep asking themselves, "Coach, who the hell am I supposed to be guarding? Duke doesn't have positions. I'm lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I believe Rodman was listed as 6'8", but probably shorter.

Not as short as Barkley, though, who here in Philadelphia was generally believed to be around 6'4". We also had Clarence Witherspoon, who was listed at 6'6" or 6'7" but was probably also around 6'4".
    Rodman listed at 6'8" but was at best 6"7" (look at him next to Jordan and Pippen). At one point Barkley was listed at Auburn at 6'8" but the consensus later on was to call him 6'6" then 6'5" although he was probably 6'4" (again compare him to people around him). Wes Unseld - one of the all time great rebounders - listed at 6'7" (sometimes 6'8") but that was being generous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lar77 View Post
    Rodman listed at 6'8" but was at best 6"7" (look at him next to Jordan and Pippen). At one point Barkley was listed at Auburn at 6'8" but the consensus later on was to call him 6'6" then 6'5" although he was probably 6'4" (again compare him to people around him). Wes Unseld - one of the all time great rebounders - listed at 6'7" (sometimes 6'8") but that was being generous.
    Rodman was definitely closer to 6'6", and I believe Barkley was something like 6'4 1/2" or 6'4 3/4" in socks. While not on the same level as Barkley/Rodman/Unseld, DuJuan Blair (6'5 1/4" in socks), Chuck Hayes (6'5 1/2") and Jason Maxiell (6'5") are some more recent examples of "undersized" post players who have been effective in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Without even seeing the video, I'd say that the debate about why Semi doesn't get more minutes will begin no later than one year from today, and probably sooner.
    I guess I need to start a new thread.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    When do you think he'll go semi-pro?
    I'm sure we will see signs that he is ready if we study our semi-otics.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Without even seeing the video, I'd say that the debate about why Semi doesn't get more minutes will begin no later than one year from today, and probably sooner.
    So, do you think he will transfer before the Christmas Break or at the end of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    So, do you think he will transfer before the Christmas Break or at the end of the year?
    Probably at Hallowe'en so he doesn't lose a year of eligibility. After only ten minutes in two exhibition games, he is clearly not gonna make it at Duke.

sagegrouse

Matthew Atewe

Apparently, in addition to Gavin Schilling, the staff is taking a look at unranked 6'9" PF Matthew Atewe. Haven't found a great highlight reel or profile yet. Perhaps another diamond rising from the rough?

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Apparently, in addition to Gavin Schilling, the staff is taking a look at unranked 6'9" PF Matthew Atewe. Haven't found a great highlight reel or profile yet. Perhaps another diamond rising from the rough?
    Well, he's apparently bigger than Schilling (Rivals lists him at 6'9" 230; they list Schilling at 6'9" 205). But there appears to be no information on his skill set. But the lack of a rating suggests he's probably not an impact player for next year.

Schilling and Jaksic

Per Dave Telep it appears we are no longer on the list for Gavin Schilling. It's unclear if we were cut or if we backed off. His list remains at 10 schools, so I would think we backed off, but who knows.

Miroslav Jaksic, who is another exciting prospect, and who has been waffling between 2013/2014, is apparently high on us, with one writer indicating we were in the top two with Northwestern. What might be intriguing in the near term (and this is just speculation) is whether he would consider pulling a Murphy/MP3 and coming a year early to red shirt. It sounds like his interest in 2014 is to do a year of prep school to fill out and refine his skill set. Sounds like two things our staff could help him with. Either way it seems unlikely he would be of any impact in 2013, but he appears to be a very nice talent and would be a good get.

It seems pretty safe to assume that there are no "impact" players left for 2013. By that I mean players who would get more than a minute or two of playing time per game next year. Is this a fair statement?