Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlindevildog91 View Post
    I believe Jackson Simmons is on an academic or other, non-athletic, scholarship. They've done that before, giving the "Morehead scholar" designation to a basketball player or two, thus saving an athletic scholarship for someone who didn't fit the mold of the scholar.

Edit: Simmons was a walk-on originally, but offered a scholarship for 2011-2012. Want to bet his athletic scholarship was withdrawn in 2012-2013?
    In order for an academic scholarship not to count against the scholarship limit, the student has to have been at the university for one academic year and achieved at least a 3.3 GPA. Does seem like a bit of a loophole:

15.5.1.2.2 Exception—Receipt of Institutional Academic Aid Only. In football or basketball, a student-athlete who was recruited by the awarding institution and whose only source of institutional financial aid is academic aid based solely on the recipient’s academic record at the certifying institution, awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by the institution, may compete without counting in the institution’s financial aid team limits, provided he or she has completed at least one academic year of full-time enrollment at the certifying institution and has achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.300 (on a 4.000 scale) at the certifying institution. (Adopted: 10/27/05 effective 8/1/06)
    Typically, as soon as the recruited student-athlete sets foot on the field/court, the scholarship counts towards the limit:

15.5.1.2 Football or Basketball, Varsity Competition. In football or basketball, a student-athlete who was recruited by the awarding institution and who receives institutional financial aid (as set forth in Bylaw 15.02.4.1) granted without regard in any degree to athletics ability does not have to be counted until the student-athlete engages in varsity intercollegiate competition (as opposed to freshman, B-team, subvarsity, intramural or club competition) in those sports. For this provision to be applicable, there shall be on file in the office of the athletics director certification by the faculty athletics representative, the admissions officer and the chair of the financial aid committee that the student’s admission and financial aid were granted without regard in any degree to athletics ability. (Revised: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93, 1/11/94, 6/20/04)
    http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D111.pdf

Since we are totally off thread, let me digress further and mention that I just went to (ugh) goheels.com and looked at the roster. Perhaps the N&O should look at the Communications Studies major...The only players who aren't listed as walk-ons and have declared majors (and there aren't many of them) seem to be in Communications Studies.

Shall we return to the 2013 Duke recruiting thread now?

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Multiple folks (including Gavin himself) indicating that Duke is expressing interest. He's a '13 big man who's not a household name, but it sounds like he's capable, and perhaps a late bloomer type. He's at Findlay this year and may blossom in that environment.

Anyone with insights on this young man? A little footage LINK
    Good catch Doc. Scout is reporting that Duke has recently entered the picture for 6'9" 235 lb. 3-star PF/C Gavin Schilling from Henderson, NV Findlay Prep.

From their non-pay portion: A year ago Duke got re-involved with Amile Jefferson and waited out his recruitment into the Spring signing period. After seeing a couple of targets go elsewhere this Fall, the Blue Devils are looking around again for a potential late signee, and appear to have found one in the form of Gavin Schilling. The 6'9, 235 pounder spoke with TDD about that on Sunday...

Apparently he's being recruited by a whole gaggle of programs including: Arizona, UCLA, Oregon St., USC, Cal, MO, Vanderbilt, DePaul, IL, and Minnesota.

I'm guessing that Duke got to see him last year while they were recruiting Shabaz Muhammad there. FWIW it appears that he's added about 30 lbs. just this year.

Correction: Shabazz Muhammad attended a different High Scool in the Las Vegas area. BTW, UCLA already has a commitment from another top-flight player from Findlay this year, SG Allerick Freeman.

Schilling looks like a nice "sleeper" recruit, and a true C type now.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Correction: Shabazz Muhammad attended a different High Scool in the Las Vegas area. BTW, UCLA already has a commitment from another top-flight player from Findlay this year, SG Allerick Freeman.

Schilling looks like a nice "sleeper" recruit, and a true C type now.
    Myck Kabongo went to Findlay, who supposedly would have committed to us had Cook not pulled the trigger, and Allerick really liked Duke himself and had an offer. Never know with these basketball factories sometimes, but we seem to have a good relationship with Findlay.

I'm really curious what Schilling's actual size is. He kind of looks more like 6'7-6'8 in some highlights, but it might just be because he moves so well. If he's a legitimate 6'9", he looks like a very interesting prospect.

Sleeper stratedy

From limited highlights, this guy looks like he would fit well in the Duke scheme. I like the idea of finding "sleeper" recruits that will most likely be here for 4-years. I thought Landon Lucas seemed like a good four year guy but Duke cooled on him while chasing a bunch of prima donnas who evidently like attention. Lucas signed with KU and they also recently picked up Joel Embiid who is a very athletic but raw 7 footer who came to the US from Cameroon for academics not athletics and began playing hoops only a year ago. KU has a good rep for bigs and they are picking up recruits who will contribute long term without dealing with the circus around the 3-4 five star recruits that Duke is chases annually.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Merlindevildog91 View Post
    I believe Jackson Simmons is on an academic or other, non-athletic, scholarship. They've done that before, giving the "Morehead scholar" designation to a basketball player or two, thus saving an athletic scholarship for someone who didn't fit the mold of the scholar.

Edit: Simmons was a walk-on originally, but offered a scholarship for 2011-2012. Want to bet his athletic scholarship was withdrawn in 2012-2013?

I really hate to revert back to the most recent digressions, but this is thought is just wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morehead-Cain_Scholarship

FWIW, I don't think Schilling was at Findley last year. He's a Chicago area kid who transferred to Findely this summer to hell improve his game/profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    FWIW, I don't think Schilling was at Findley last year. He's a Chicago area kid who transferred to Findely this summer to hell improve his game/profile.
    That's right, which is partly why he seems intriguing. Perhaps the staff believes he's a late bloomer and that the change of context into a more intensive basketball school with the coaching and competition that comes along with it will help to elicit his full capabilities. Luckily it sounds like he's not going to decide until the spring so the staff will have his full season to test out their hypothesis.

More background on Gavin

Over the summer, we heard that Gonzaga was trying to get in the ear of 2013 forward Gavin Schilling and it appears that the staff is still in hot pursuit. Most folks probably aren't as familiar with the 6'9'' forward, mainly do the fact that while most kids were trying to wow scouts in AAU ball, Schilling was overseas playing with the German U18 team in some FIBA events. His recruitment also got off to a late start in general as he was raised in France, spent some time in high school in Germany, and is now back in the United States. The three star forward averaged about nine points per game with the German team and got invaluable experience playing against some of the best young players on the globe.

Since returning from Germany, Schilling has been on the move. He recently transferred to Findlay Prep and has seen his recruitment absolutely skyrocket. In a recent interview with Rivals, head coach Todd Smon laid out an incredible list of schools after Gavin:

"I have heard personally from California, Auburn, Texas A&M, Gonzaga, Washington State, USC, Oregon State, DePaul, Virginia Tech, Villanova, Minnesota, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame calling about Gavin.

While the Zags are one of many to inquire about Gavin, they were also down at Findlay this week to meet with him and watch him practice. Gavin has said that he likes the idea of playing in a big city with plenty of things to do around him so we will wait and see what that means for Spokane but you have to think the staff is working the international angle pretty hard. Gonzaga has had success with international players whether it be Elias Harris, Rob Sacre, Kevin Pangos, Ronny Turiaf, and the list goes on. While Gavin is now living in the United States, you have to think he has taken notice of how well international players have performed at GU.

As you would expect, the main attraction of Gavin's game is his versatility. As a physically imposing power forward, Schilling also has the ability to step back and knock down the open jumper. His game is very similar to Elias Harris in this regard and he is also a very skilled rebounder. He sounds like an ideal replacement when Harris departs but the staff will obviously have to work hard to get him on campus as he is attracting some of the best programs in the country and now plays at the most visible prep school in the states.

While he may have been under the radar for the first portion of his high school career, Schilling will likely not be able to go many hours without a phone call or text from a high major college coach. We'll keep you updated on how his recruiting progresses.

Semi put up 58 pts in three quarters tonight as his team won 102-29. 14/18 on 2s, 9/19 from three. Obviously, the team they played was severely overmatched, but still, those numbers are pretty crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Semi put up 58 pts in three quarters tonight as his team won 102-29. 14/18 on 2s, 9/19 from three. Obviously, the team they played was severely overmatched, but still, those numbers are pretty crazy.
    I don't have a feel for how ready Semi will be for this level of college hoops.

I've seen some predictions that he'll be near the end of the rotation and not likely to get much playing time. I've also seen evaluations that he is strong, smart, and has some offensive skills.

Anyone who has seen this young man play or has some insight about where he will fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

I've seen some predictions that he'll be near the end of the rotation and not likely to get much playing time. I've also seen evaluations that he is strong, smart, and has some offensive skills.

Anyone who has seen this young man play or has some insight about where he will fit in?
    I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has seen him in person, but at least on tape, he looks like he will be a pretty effective small forward at the college level, with a good shot at making it to the pros. He's got a man's body, can really rebound well for his position, and has great athleticism, but the thing that sets him apart is his shooting touch. He can really stroke it, and has a lightning quick release. With his size and physicality, I can see him getting a lot of minutes later in his career at Duke.

here's a few highlights from his junior year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFQvAsSgVz4

He's playing against a lot of inferior competition but you can see him hitting some pretty tough jump shots where he's off balance or being contested. He also shows off his considerable strength and the ability to finish through contact. The one play where he jumps up and dunks it from standing flat footed and still gets his head up to the rim is pretty ridiculous. Sure, it's a highlight tape, so you take it with a grain of salt, but he looks impressive. I think he will be an extremely versatile wing who could even be used at the 4 in a pinch if we are playing small ball. I definitely don't see him as a "end of the bench" type guy, and whoever said that probably hasn't seen him play.
    Last edited by licc85; 12-07-2012 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has seen him in person, but at least on tape, he looks like he will be a pretty effective small forward at the college level, with a good shot at making it to the pros. He's got a man's body, can really rebound well for his position, and has great athleticism, but the thing that sets him apart is his shooting touch. He can really stroke it, and has a lightning quick release. With his size and physicality, I can see him getting a lot of minutes later in his career at Duke.

here's a few highlights from his junior year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFQvAsSgVz4

He's playing against a lot of inferior competition but you can see him hitting some pretty tough jump shots where he's off balance or being contested. He also shows off his considerable strength and the ability to finish through contact. The one play where he jumps up and dunks it from standing flat footed and still gets his head up to the rim is pretty ridiculous. Sure, it's a highlight tape, so you take it with a grain of salt, but he looks impressive. I think he will be an extremely versatile wing who could even be used at the 4 in a pinch if we are playing small ball. I definitely don't see him as a "end of the bench" type guy, and whoever said that probably hasn't seen him play.
    Judging only from this highlight video (I know, bad idea), he seems to play a lot of point forward in high school. That would bode well for his ball handling ability, which would also increase his ability to make a big difference on the offensive end.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

I haven't seen him play at all yet, so this is purely speculative. But I think the predictions of end of the rotation for next year are due to the following:
    1) he plays a position at which we are going to be absolutely loaded next year;
    2) he's not a top-15 level recruit, which has generally been a "no-fly" zone for freshmen; and
    3) Coach K has been very clear over the years about his preference for playing his best players the vast majority of the minutes.

It is unlikely that Ojeleye is going to be ready to beat out Hood, Sulaimon, Murphy, and (if he decides to come back) Dawkins for minutes at SG/SF given those players' talent and experience. If we add Parker (the #2 or #3 recruit in the nation), the odds get even longer for playing time next year, as the PF minutes get squeezed as well.

After next year, the equation may change (if Hood, Parker, Dawkins, and perhaps even Sulaimon are gone). But for the 2013-2014 season, we are going to have multiple top-30 recruits seeing little to no playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Judging only from this highlight video (I know, bad idea), he seems to play a lot of point forward in high school. That would bode well for his ball handling ability, which would also increase his ability to make a big difference on the offensive end.
    Judging only from this video, (certainly bad idea, but it's all I have) much like Austin Rivers, he has yet to discover that he is allowed to shoot with his left hand. Imagine how successful he will be once he makes that discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Judging only from this video, (certainly bad idea, but it's all I have) much like Austin Rivers, he has yet to discover that he is allowed to shoot with his left hand. Imagine how successful he will be once he makes that discovery.
    Judging from the video, I'd say that Semi will start and play 40 min a game. I mean, who else in country shoots 100% from the field! Insane!

(Sarcasm alert. I hate highlight videos, FYI)
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Judging from the video, I'd say that Semi will start and play 40 min a game. I mean, who else in country shoots 100% from the field! Insane!

(Sarcasm alert. I hate highlight videos, FYI)
    Without even seeing the video, I'd say that the debate about why Semi doesn't get more minutes will begin no later than one year from today, and probably sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Without even seeing the video, I'd say that the debate about why Semi doesn't get more minutes will begin no later than one year from today, and probably sooner.
    Seriously. He hasn't even seen the floor for us at all this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Seriously. He hasn't even seen the floor for us at all this season.
    Oh, you're just kidding.

Can't you at least be Semi-serious?