Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, yes, I think Tyus is a terrific prospect.

But, imagine the following set of circumstances:
    He selects Duke and turns out to be a great fit academically, socially, and athletically
    He starts early and proves to be one of the best players in the country right away
    He has bad luck and gets injured, ends up playing about 1/3 of the season
    Goes pro after his freshman year.

Not to say we shouldn't recruit Tyus, and perhaps he ends up with a Duke jersey in the rafters, but a prospect who can reasonably consider a quick jump to the pros has a certain risk or downside, if you will.
    Note that Duke recruited another point guard in the same class as Irving.

There may well be a Tyler Thornton to Jones' Irving.

Ty Jones' freshman season would overlap with Cook's senior season and Sulaimon's junior season. So, it's not exactly an all-eggs-in-one-basket situation.

He selects Duke and turns out to be a great fit academically, socially, and athletically
    He starts early and proves to be one of the best players in the country right away

Not to say we shouldn't recruit Tyus, and perhaps he ends up with a Duke jersey in the rafters, but a prospect who can reasonably consider a quick jump to the pros has a certain risk or downside, if you will.
    Reminds me of a recent episode of "The Big Bang Theory:" "The Kyrie Conundrun"

Quote Originally Posted by Slackerb View Post
    Yes, and I'm sure in all cases that it is Duke that backs away from a recruit and not the other way around.

Well put UC, that's exactly what i'm talking about. Rather than recognizing a recruitment as a success, it's always with a caveat. There is always a qualifier that goes along with such congratulations.
    Curious conclusion to draw from the facts presented.

Good post

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Note that Duke recruited another point guard in the same class as Irving.

There may well be a Tyler Thornton to Jones' Irving.

Ty Jones' freshman season would overlap with Cook's senior season and Sulaimon's junior season. So, it's not exactly an all-eggs-in-one-basket situation.
    With Cook and Jones we would have two small guards, both with excellent point guard skills and also have the backup capability of Sulaimon, who appears to have a good handle and court sense. Scheyer did an excellent job and there is no reason to believe that Sulaimon couldn't if pressed into service due to injury of the others.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/09/22/s...ucky-maryland/

So, according to this article, UK will get both Harrisons AND Andrew Wiggins (and more)? Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/09/22/s...ucky-maryland/

So, according to this article, UK will get both Harrisons AND Andrew Wiggins (and more)? Yikes!
    When is this Kentucky recruiting madness going to end (or at least taper off)? I don't recall anything quite like this since the days of UCLA recruiting in the 60's and 70's. I suppose I should be happy it's not UNC getting all of these top recruits, though they do get their share.

I would be fine with it if UK hadn't won the national championship last year. Prior to that I was able to console myself with the idea that UK might win a bunch of games and get to some Final Fours, but they wouldn't ever be able to win the truly big game. I thought their youth and lack of significant time playing together as a team would always work against them in the end. I just couldn't stomach the idea of these hired guns and rent-a-players getting championship glory. Well, it finally happened last year, and I still haven't really gotten over it.

I'm not saying they recruit bad kids, but they do seem to get mostly athlete-student types (recruits that put athletics way above academics) rather than student-athletes. Plus, they have a coach (Calipari) who is the antithesis of what I think a college coach should be. I would not want him or anyone like him to represent Duke University, ever. I think UK fans have sold their souls with this guy and his approach to college athletics. I think eventually they are going to be sorry they went down this path, but right now they (UK fans) are about as smug as any fans of any sport, amateur or professional. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I would be fine with it if UK hadn't won the national championship last year. Prior to that I was able to console myself with the idea that UK might win a bunch of games and get to some Final Fours, but they wouldn't ever be able to win the truly big game. I thought their youth and lack of significant time playing together as a team would always work against them in the end. I just couldn't stomach the idea of these hired guns and rent-a-players getting championship glory. Well, it finally happened last year, and I still haven't really gotten over it.
    I felt/feel the exact same way! But if it's any consolation, UK had a senior and a sophomore on their team that in other years probably would have left for the NBA, if not for the lockout. So we can at least cling to the hope that they maybe won't win a National Title again, for the reasons you stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    When is this Kentucky recruiting madness going to end (or at least taper off)? I don't recall anything quite like this since the days of UCLA recruiting in the 60's and 70's. I suppose I should be happy it's not UNC getting all of these top recruits, though they do get their share.

I'm not saying they recruit bad kids, but they do seem to get mostly athlete-student types (recruits that put athletics way above academics) rather than student-athletes. Plus, they have a coach (Calipari) who is the antithesis of what I think a college coach should be. I would not want him or anyone like him to represent Duke University, ever. I think UK fans have sold their souls with this guy and his approach to college athletics. I think eventually they are going to be sorry they went down this path, but right now they (UK fans) are about as smug as any fans of any sport, amateur or professional. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.
    You may not like it, but Calipari is doing what the NCAA has essentially allowed him to do (barring that he isn't paying recruits or something similar). If there wasn't this stupid one-and-done rule, then Calipari wouldn't have half the success he has had (although, at the same time, you can argue that we may not have had either Kyrie or Rivers).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Noah Vonleh has reclassified to 2013. I noticed ESPN has Duke on his "list" of about 1/2 the NCAA it appears. Anyone know how interested Mr. Vonleh may or may not be in Duke at this point?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...ify-class-2013

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Noah Vonleh has reclassified to 2013. I noticed ESPN has Duke on his "list" of about 1/2 the NCAA it appears. Anyone know how interested Mr. Vonleh may or may not be in Duke at this point?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...ify-class-2013
    Not sure, but I hope he's interested. Quite the player. Clint Jackson intimates that we might still be involved with him. Not sure if he's reciprocating.

Clint Jackson ‏@clintjackson1
    Duke reached out via phone today to New Hampton Prep. Likely to inquire about Noah Vonleh.

kyrie was one of the least risky recruits we've had in years, and I assume we'd take an effervescent, smart, likable, future nba superstar whenever we can get him. one year possibly, but players like that are few and far between. his injury bummed me out, but I don't see it--or him--as any way damaging to duke...

Demetrious Jackson to Notre Dame

Notre Dame gets commitment from highly ranked point guard

Nice get for Mike Bray, who will be back in Cameron before too long (depending on the scheduling process involved in a 15-team conference)

Notre Dame landed the No. 4 point guard in the Class of 2013 on Thursday when Demetrius Jackson (Mishawaka, Ind./Marian Catholic), the No. 19 overall prospect in the ESPN 100, picked the Irish over Illinois.

Jackson grew up 20 minutes from Notre Dame's campus in South Bend, Ind. The Irish locked in on him and made the local standout their top priority. His commitment moves Notre Dame to No. 5 in the 2013 basketball recruiting class rankings

Calipari tweeted this last night:

I told Jay-Z that I might get fined $50k for being in HIS locker room tonight. He said "I got you". #Lafamilia
    Listen, as a Duke grad, I certainly don't want for anything. Krzyzewski is amazing, runs a great program, I'm privileged to have been able to get to know him a bit. He's leveraged Team USA and the program's heritage into a paragon of basketball. Wouldn't trade him for anything.

But man, Calipari has a good thing down there. He's steadily made himself and his program the coolest place to be by forging relationships with guys like Jay-Z, Drake and LeBron. There's a high level of sheen to UK that kids can associate with. You play for Cal? You might get to chill with Drake. Plus, the team he had last year was awesome to watch and difficult to dislike, with guys like MKG and Anthony Davis. Say what you will about ethics or whatever, but Calipari has done an incredible job of building that program into an entity where it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he got Wiggins and both Harrisons.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Not sure, but I hope he's interested. Quite the player. Clint Jackson intimates that we might still be involved with him. Not sure if he's reciprocating.

Clint Jackson ‏@clintjackson1
    Duke reached out via phone today to New Hampton Prep. Likely to inquire about Noah Vonleh.
    I saw Vonleh at Hoophall last year. I agree with dukedoc, he is super-legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Calipari tweeted this last night:

Listen, as a Duke grad, I certainly don't want for anything. Krzyzewski is amazing, runs a great program, I'm privileged to have been able to get to know him a bit. He's leveraged Team USA and the program's heritage into a paragon of basketball. Wouldn't trade him for anything.

But man, Calipari has a good thing down there. He's steadily made himself and his program the coolest place to be by forging relationships with guys like Jay-Z, Drake and LeBron. There's a high level of sheen to UK that kids can associate with. You play for Cal? You might get to chill with Drake. Plus, the team he had last year was awesome to watch and difficult to dislike, with guys like MKG and Anthony Davis. Say what you will about ethics or whatever, but Calipari has done an incredible job of building that program into an entity where it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he got Wiggins and both Harrisons.

If the goal is getting top notch recruits every single year and winning, then yes, Cal is doing an amazing job. Ultimately, it is a game, and the point is to win, and that's fine.

However, I suspect K has a more nuanced view of what college basketball is and what his role as head coach is in the context of a major University, in the context of late adolescence as boys are becoming men, and, for some young men, in preparation for the intensity and complexity of the NBA. K's schtick won't win over all recruits, but, as a fan, it's much easier to root for.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    If the goal is getting top notch recruits every single year and winning, then yes, Cal is doing an amazing job. Ultimately, it is a game, and the point is to win, and that's fine.

However, I suspect K has a more nuanced view of what college basketball is and what his role as head coach is in the context of a major University, in the context of late adolescence as boys are becoming men, and, for some young men, in preparation for the intensity and complexity of the NBA. K's schtick won't win over all recruits, but, as a fan, it's much easier to root for.
    I agree with your assessment of Krzyzewski's MO, and I think it's very well put. I only differ in that I don't think it's any more difficult for Kentucky fans to root for their program as currently constituted than it is for Duke fans. And who's to say Calipari doesn't feel like he's performing a major service for the players he sends to the first round with guaranteed contracts as soon as humanly possible?

It evens out, though. I think the majority of the kids that Krzyzewski gets have a certain appeal to Duke fans who are used to exactly that sort of kid. Guys like Singler, Scheyer, Nolan, Kyrie -- absolutely a joy to watch, follow and get to know up close or from afar. This isn't to say that I wouldn't have loved watching John Wall, etc., play for my college team -- and I'd have killed to have Kidd-Gilchrist -- but the kids Krzyzewski tends to bring in generally fit in seamlessly with the Duke brand we've all become accustomed to.

it would also just be weird to read K tweeting that he was hanging at a concert with Jay Z and Drake. Better for him to mention skills he taught Lebron and Kobe.

As for Calipari, let's see if he keeps it going--infraction-free--for another decade.

I just noticed the intermediate 2013 RSCI rankings are posted. Players of note:

Matt Jones, #20
    Semi Ojeleye, #28

Jabari Parker, #1
    Julius Randle, #3
    Austin Nichols, #23

Harrison twins, #2 (Andrew) and #4 (Aaron)
    Cat Barber, #9 (NC State)
    Isaiah Hicks, #12 (UNC)
    Nate Britt, #60 (UNC)

Interesting that only three of the top ten recruits have committed so far, and Florida has two of them: #6 PG Kasey Hill and #7 PF Chris Walker. I guess Billy D still has a few teeth in his head, eh? FWIW, the third one is Cat Barber.

Kentucky is involved with all five of the top five (including #5 Aaron Gordon). Boy, that would suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I just noticed the intermediate 2013 RSCI rankings are posted. Players of note:

Matt Jones, #20
    Semi Ojeleye, #28

Jabari Parker, #1
    Julius Randle, #3
    Austin Nichols, #23

Harrison twins, #2 (Andrew) and #4 (Aaron)
    Cat Barber, #9 (NC State)
    Isaiah Hicks, #12 (UNC)
    Nate Britt, #60 (UNC)

Interesting that only three of the top ten recruits have committed so far, and Florida has two of them: #6 PG Kasey Hill and #7 PF Chris Walker. I guess Billy D still has a few teeth in his head, eh? FWIW, the third one is Cat Barber.

Kentucky is involved with all five of the top five (including #5 Aaron Gordon). Boy, that would suck.
    To my understanding, Kentucky is not involved anymore with Jabari Parker. And I think most assume that Aaron Gordon is going to be staying out west, thought I'm less certain of that being the case.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    To my understanding, Kentucky is not involved anymore with Jabari Parker. And I think most assume that Aaron Gordon is going to be staying out west, thought I'm less certain of that being the case.
    I've heard talk of both those things as well, but with Cal, it ain't ovah 'till it's ovah. Terrance Jones was staying out west, too.