Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Trying to think of a comparison...maybe Curtis Staples from the mid-1990's?
    It was his 3-pt record that JJ broke and if I recall, he had quick, but low release.
    Scott Wood has a low but quick release as well. Very low. Too low. But dude is accurate.

I posted this in the UNC Academic Scandal thread, but Austin Nichols has eliminated UNC. The author of this article speculates that his decision may be related to the academic mess going on over there. While the author states that this is merely his own opinion, he does provide a direct quote from another recruit who states upfront that the scandal is deterring him from UNC.

Looks like we're in the mix for Nichols. Gotta love the following quote from the article, which referred to our status BEFORE the academic issues came up.

one insider insisted that even if Nichols spurned the hometown Tigers and in-state Vols for the Old North State, Austin would choose Duke before UNC
    But I do have to ask how our recruiting of Nichols affects our pursuit of Randle? Are they similar players?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    But I do have to ask how our recruiting of Nichols affects our pursuit of Randle? Are they similar players?
    I've heard it said that getting either Nichols or Lee might help our recruitment of Randle by giving us more flexibility to play him how he wants to be played rather than in a different role out of necessity if we didn't have an additional big guy. Thus, Randle may find our situation even more attractive if one of those guys were to sign on with us in the fall.

I posted this in the UNC Academic Scandal thread, but Austin Nichols has eliminated UNC. The author of this article speculates that his decision may be related to the academic mess going on over there. While the author states that this is merely his own opinion, he does provide a direct quote from another recruit who states upfront that the scandal is deterring him from UNC.

Looks like we're in the mix for Nichols. Gotta love the following quote from the article, which referred to our status BEFORE the academic issues came up.

Not at all and no.

Nichols and Randle are not mutually exclusive. Randle is expected to be a one-year player. Duke also wants to bring in a four-year post player, with Nichols and Marcus Lee the main targets.

There is some speculation that signing either Nichols or Lee would help with Randle, under the theory that another post would lessen the possibility of Randle being chained to the post. I'm not sure I totally buy that but it is out there.

There are some family considerations that are working against Duke. I believe Nichols has a twin sister who is going to go to Tennessee.

But if [relative] proximity and family favor the Vols, hoops and academics favor Duke. Should be interesting.

Thanks for the responses. We had a previous discussion in one of these threads over whether Randle would be forced to play the 5 some of the time if he came here. In this way-getting-ahead-of-ourselves scenario in which both Randle and Nichols came here, would Nichols then take those minutes at the 5 while Randle stayed at the 4 full-time? That's the only way I could see Nichols helping our cause. Scout has Nichols listed at almost 50 pounds lighter than Randle, and an inch shorter, so that wouldn't seem to make sense, but then again that doesn't take into account their playing styles. Or are we saying that Randle, Nichols, and Plumlee could all be on the floor together at the same time? From the highlight videos I've seen it looks like Randle has some handle and is capable of driving from the perimeter.

Thanks for the responses. We had a previous discussion in one of these threads over whether Randle would be forced to play the 5 some of the time if he came here. In this way-getting-ahead-of-ourselves scenario in which both Randle and Nichols came here, would Nichols then take those minutes at the 5 while Randle stayed at the 4 full-time? That's the only way I could see Nichols helping our cause. Scout has Nichols listed at almost 50 pounds lighter than Randle, and an inch shorter, so that wouldn't seem to make sense, but then again that doesn't take into account their playing styles. Or are we saying that Randle, Nichols, and Plumlee could all be on the floor together at the same time? From the highlight videos I've seen it looks like Randle has some handle and is capable of driving from the perimeter.
    Nichols reportedly has a 7-3 wingspan and he's still growing. He's pretty mobile. He's more of a Mark Alarie post than an Eric Meek post.

Marshall Plumlee is the only classic 5 in the Duke program, not that Duke has always had much use for classic 5s. It's hard to project Marshall's PT for 2014, without seeing him in 2013. But he's sure not going to tie down 40 mpg.

This whole question of Randle at the 5 begs some questions. Using traditional nomenclature, Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Cherokee Parks and Josh McRoberts all played a fair amount of 5 at Duke. But all of them had the freedom to run the floor, handle the ball and take advantage of mismatches when and where they occurred. Even Elton Brand scored in transition and knocked down 15-footers and he was much more of a back-to-the-basket force than the bigs Duke is recruiting from the class of 2013.

Were they chained to the post? Of course not. No more than Randle or Nichols or Lee would be as the nominal Duke 5. Now, somebody has to guard the opposing team's 5 and I'm sure that assignment would fall to Randle or Nichols with some regularity. But many college teams use mobile, 6-9 players inside. We're not asking anyone to guard Patrick Ewing.

So, I'm just not that worried about positions here. Randle, Nichols and Lee all seem like bright, grounded guys and Krzyzewski has a portfolio that suggests he can find a way to use their talents to the benfit of the individuals and the collective. I assume he can communicate that.

Versitility

Your inside info is always appreciated. In the past few years, I have noticed more and more 5, 4, even 3's being called on and able to go low and defend very well. Defensive positioning, speed, and agility(foot work) seem to be taking a much bigger role than brute force. Shaq's just don't come along everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Your inside info is always appreciated. In the past few years, I have noticed more and more 5, 4, even 3's being called on and able to go low and defend very well. Defensive positioning, speed, and agility(foot work) seem to be taking a much bigger role than brute force. Shaq's just don't come along everyday.
    And Duke beat Shaq - with a "4" playing in the post... and a 3 at the PG position! Just goes to show you what "traditional labels" are worth!!

I totally agree that we're capable of playing without a traditional "5," that we've done so successfully in the past, and that our system values versatile players who can play both inside and out. My question is whether Randle would WANT to do that. Let's say he has the option of a.) coming to Duke where he would have to spend let's say 10 minutes per game guarding the other team's 5 on defense, or b.) going somewhere else where he wouldn't have to do that because they already have two other bigs on their roster. What would he choose? I honestly don't know the answer to that, but I think it's a factor. At any rate, I do trust Coach K to sell him on the fact that Duke would be the best place for him, irregardless of position.

I totally agree that we're capable of playing without a traditional "5," that we've done so successfully in the past, and that our system values versatile players who can play both inside and out. My question is whether Randle would WANT to do that. Let's say he has the option of a.) coming to Duke where he would have to spend let's say 10 minutes per game guarding the other team's 5 on defense, or b.) going somewhere else where he wouldn't have to do that because they already have two other bigs on their roster. What would he choose? I honestly don't know the answer to that, but I think it's a factor. At any rate, I do trust Coach K to sell him on the fact that Duke would be the best place for him, irregardless of position.
    Marshall is already on the roster. I know that it will be difficult to determine where he is in his development until we see him during this upcoming season, but it's not like we're completely devoid of players capable of defending the occasional bruising center. Meanwhile, at his size and length measurements, I would imagine that Randle's biggest draft question marks will be related his ability to defend his position in the pros. Given that most college 5's are more comparable to NBA 4's, I don't see how it would hurt him to show he is willing to defend big players for 10 minutes per game in college. But you're right. I guess it could be a factor. However, I'd be surprised if he could go anywhere else where he'd literally never guard the 5 spot. End of game situations where free throw shooting is key, games where the opposing team has a relative lack of quickness so playing small is beneficial, foul trouble for big guys, etc . . . there are many reasons why Randle would likely spend 5-10 minutes per game guarding the opposing team's biggest player no matter where he goes. He's good enough that coaches will find a way to keep him on the court.

Austin Nichols

Maybe someone closer to the scene will be able to answer my question. Does the commitments of Crawford and King (both Memphis,Tenn products) announcing for Memphis have any bearing on our recruitment of Nichols? Do they play aau together? Friends, etc. I hope Jim or Adam can clarify. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Maybe someone closer to the scene will be able to answer my question. Does the commitments of Crawford and King (both Memphis,Tenn products) announcing for Memphis have any bearing on our recruitment of Nichols? Do they play aau together? Friends, etc. I hope Jim or Adam can clarify. Thanks.
    I don't know about friends or not, but neither Crawford nor King played on Austin Nichols' M33M AAU squad. Also, King is listed at 6'6", 210, so a few inches shorter than Nichols but a small forward, while Crawford is a 6'4" shooting guard. Without knowing anything about Memphis' scholarship situation, it seems unlikely that either of these signings would squeeze Nichols with regard to recruiting his position, if that's what you meant.

Austin Nichols

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I don't know about friends or not, but neither Crawford nor King played on Austin Nichols' M33M AAU squad. Also, King is listed at 6'6", 210, so a few inches shorter than Nichols but a small forward, while Crawford is a 6'4" shooting guard. Without knowing anything about Memphis' scholarship situation, it seems unlikely that either of these signings would squeeze Nichols with regard to recruiting his position, if that's what you meant.
    Friends have a way of adding pressure to a star recruits to join us at the local (in state) school. My question is not of size or position, just the fact that these 2 recruits (King and Crawford) may or may not be applying pressure to Nichols to stay in state. To pick up a recruit like Nichols I'm sure Memphis would find a scholly. Young coach at Memphis has potential. Great for us that K is going to have a visit.

Nichols definitely seems like a home body.

Freeman Off the Board

Al Freeman reportedly verbals to UCLA LINK

Lee Down to Three

Sounds like we're out of it for Marcus. Hopefully the staff will able to seal the deal with Austin.

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDanielsFOX
    Really like California's chances. RT @Jason_McCleary 2013 Marcus Lee cut his list to 3. Cal, Louisville and Kentucky, per source.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Sounds like we're out of it for Marcus. Hopefully the staff will able to seal the deal with Austin.
    Have to hope/think that this is connected to our in-home with Austin yesterday...

His OV is Sept. 6th for the UVA game. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Have to hope/think that this is connected to our in-home with Austin yesterday...

His OV is Sept. 6th for the UVA game. Fingers crossed.
    *October 6

Cat Barber has committed to NC State. Barber is a 5-star PG prospect who chose State over Kansas, Alabama, and Louisville. Duke had been looking at him for awhile too. Gottfried is really doing a heck of a job in recruiting.