Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    It's pure and simple economics - or the allocation of scarce resources, which in this case is time. Coach K doesn't have a lot of time this summer (the Olympics), the most important time frame for high school recruiting. Duke may be recruiting all, but I'm a believer that the harder your work on a recruit, the better chance you have of signing him (ie the whole hard work pays off thing).
    And yet Tony Parker is in Westwood and Amile Jefferson is on West Campus.

There are plenty of programs that have had great success with a broad approach to recruiting. And if a player isn't capable of understanding that Krzyzewski's availability will be temporarily limited by coaching the U.S. national team in the Olympics, do we really want to see that player at Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    And yet Tony Parker is in Westwood and Amile Jefferson is on West Campus.

There are plenty of programs that have had great success with a broad approach to recruiting. And if a player isn't capable of understanding that Krzyzewski's availability will be temporarily limited by coaching the U.S. national team in the Olympics, do we really want to see that player at Duke?
    My intention wasn't at all to critique Coach K's involvement in the Olympics (which I am a huge fan of, as it gives Duke amazing press), but rather to time is a serious issue for this year's recruiting. I don't really see how you can argue with that one. Furthermore, I am a firm believer that the longer you spend with a recruit, the better chance you have of signing him. Do you disagree?

And, lastly, wouldn't Amile Jefferson be on East Campus?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

My intention wasn't at all to critique Coach K's involvement in the Olympics (which I am a huge fan of, as it gives Duke amazing press), but rather to time is a serious issue for this year's recruiting. I don't really see how you can argue with that one. Furthermore, I am a firm believer that the longer you spend with a recruit, the better chance you have of signing him. Do you disagree?

Some recruits like to have their hands held, others not so much.

When Henry Bibby was coaching at Southern Cal, he would send recruits multiple letters every day. Shavlik Randolph used to get a wheel-barrow full of letters from Bibby.

Didn't seem to help Bibby all that much. So, it might be a bit more nuanced than time spent=recruiting success.

I disagree that it's that simple. There may be a benefit to getting to know a recruit early, but that's not the issue here. I don't think we have any evidence to indicate whether there are or are not diminishing returns to the amount of contact that the program can offer to eight recruits as opposed to just four.

Coach K has made it clear that his National Team committments all coincide with recruiting dead periods. No one is allowed to have contact with recruits while he's away, so he doesn't see it as a hindrance at all. I guess you could argue that he has a finite amount of energy and time that the staff could be evaluating kids in-house, but I've yet to see proof that this is an issue. If anything, the Olympics have given Coach K even more energy and desire to coach at Duke.

I think the bigger concern is that certain players like to know that they're a school's #1 priority. So schools are forced to pick and choose who they go after.

Before you start critiquing this, please note that I do want Jabari Parker aka the best SF since LBJ. It would be amazing if he put on a Duke jersey for a year (and let's not kid ourselves - he is only staying for one year at whatever school he goes to),
    I haven't seen Parker play but I get the impression that he is seen more as a complete player but not a freak athlete. Isn't another more athletic wing player expected to supplant him as the number 1 recruit for 2012 based on recent play? To my admittedly uninformed mind he seems like an HB type player in skills if not the same mindset and temperament. Granted HB, it seems, would have been better off to leave after his freshman year but that is only because his limitations were uncovered. An HB type player would be welcome at Duke but would he be a guaranteed top 5 pick? Parker seems like the kind of kid who might consider staying a second year if he's not a top pick.

Great response, and agree that the best players play. Not sure about sliding Murphy and co to the 4, because then you get into the issue of another log-jam at the 4 with Amile and Hairston.
    There is no way Hairston is any impediment to minutes for Parker. Maybe Hairston can improve enough to be an option to Murphy, but it doesn't sound like it. You take a talent like Parker any time you can. The whole team ends up winning and Coach K can manage egos. Roles change and Duke players play for the team or somewhere else.

It's pure and simple economics - or the allocation of scarce resources, which in this case is time. Coach K doesn't have a lot of time this summer (the Olympics), the most important time frame for high school recruiting. Duke may be recruiting all, but I'm a believer that the harder your work on a recruit, the better chance you have of signing him (ie the whole hard work pays off thing).

Thus, you have to choose your recruiting battles.
    If I recall, we did pretty well in recruiting last time Coach K was so distracted with the Olympics. The "time" investment has already been made in these kids. They will more highly value the moments of communication over the next couple of months from Coaches K, Collins and Wojo from Vegas or London. Capel and James will still be in full communication within the rules.

There really is no reason for negativity with respect to recruiting Parker

Only when he's sleeping.

Before you start critiquing this, please note that I do want Jabari Parker aka the best SF since LBJ.
    Just think how good he could have been if he hadn't had that pesky side job.

Great response, and agree that the best players play. Not sure about sliding Murphy and co to the 4, because then you get into the issue of another log-jam at the 4 with Amile and Hairston.
    Not to mention the logjam at SG, where Dawkins, Sulaimon, and Jones reside. Now, Parker would likely start over all of those guys. But that might make for some unhappy campers losing time. And assuming big minutes for Parker, Murphy, and Hood means that multiple highly-recruited players are going to be squeezed completely out of minutes.

That said, it's always better to have too many good players than not enough good players. First world problems and all.

IMO, Parker would almost entirely be a PF if he came here. That's really his natural position in college anyway, given his size and lack of elite quickness for a wing, and our 2/3 rotation is already set with 3 guys who should be getting 25+ MPG minimum (Murphy/Hood/Sulaimon). I like Hairston and Jefferson, but the former three players are going to be much harder to keep off of the court.

PF is really the only remaining question mark for 2014; we'll have three NBA players on the wing, a 3rd-year 7-footer in the middle, and two upperclassmen at point. We'd be fine with Josh/Amile starting too, and a backup C would help, but throw in a star PF and you've got a pretty dominant looking rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    IMO, Parker would almost entirely be a PF if he came here. That's really his natural position in college anyway, given his size and lack of elite quickness for a wing, and our 2/3 rotation is already set with 3 guys who should be getting 25+ MPG minimum (Murphy/Hood/Sulaimon). I like Hairston and Jefferson, but the former three players are going to be much harder to keep off of the court.

PF is really the only remaining question mark for 2014; we'll have three NBA players on the wing, a 3rd-year 7-footer in the middle, and two upperclassmen at point. We'd be fine with Josh/Amile starting too, and a backup C would help, but throw in a star PF and you've got a pretty dominant looking rotation.
    Don't forget, too, that if we landed Randle AND Parker, we could be looking at a lineup of:

1.Cook/Thornton
    2.Hood/Jones
    3.Murphy/Rasheed
    4.Parker/Jefferson
    5.Randle/Plumlee

Perhaps THE most NBA lineup since '99???

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Don't forget, too, that if we landed Randle AND Parker, we could be looking at a lineup of:

1.Cook/Thornton
    2.Hood/Jones
    3.Murphy/Rasheed
    4.Parker/Jefferson
    5.Randle/Plumlee

You are missing Andre Dawkins, who assuming he returns would almost certainly be in the rotation. Also, Josh Hairston, who I'm not sure if he would.

In addition, I'd be very surprised if sophomore Rasheed Sulaimon ends up as only a backup small forward. Not sure who the 6th man would be on the team you are hypothesizing, but Rasheed would have as much of a chance to start as anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    You are missing Andre Dawkins, who assuming he returns would almost certainly be in the rotation. Also, Josh Hairston, who I'm not sure if he would.

In addition, I'd be very surprised if sophomore Rasheed Sulaimon ends up as only a backup small forward. Not sure who the 6th man would be on the team you are hypothesizing, but Rasheed would have as much of a chance to start as anyone.
    My lineup was more symbolic than all-inclusive, hence not including Andre and Josh. I agree that Rasheed would be the perfect sixth man as he could play anywhere from 1-3, his versatility making him a better "3" option than Jones and of course Thornton in my hypothetical lineup. As far as Dawkins goes, as much as I want him to succeed and play well, until he becomes more than an athletic Taylor King(not talking personality, just game-play), I don't see him getting serious minutes. But again, I hope he becomes a complete player and has an All-ACC Senior Season.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Not to mention the logjam at SG, where Dawkins, Sulaimon, and Jones reside. Now, Parker would likely start over all of those guys. But that might make for some unhappy campers losing time. And assuming big minutes for Parker, Murphy, and Hood means that multiple highly-recruited players are going to be squeezed completely out of minutes.

That said, it's always better to have too many good players than not enough good players. First world problems and all.
    I'll nitpick: I doubt Jones would realistically contribute to this logjam. Although I have full confidence that Matt will turn into an excellent player during his time here, not sure he would displace any of the above-mentioned players regarding playing time. Mainly because he would be a freshman.

Admittedly, there's a lot of ifs in this discussion. And I don't really want to derail the discussion to minutes any more than it already has. In my eyes, what it boils down to is a battle at every position for minutes, and not necessarily just between 2 people per position.

Someone has to lose out (more or less) at every position. I would advise no one on this board to bet Jabari Parker as the odd man out in any of those battles.

- Chillin

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    But why would the log-jam concern him if he's going to get the minutes anyway?
    In short, it wouldn't. Guys like Parker start from Day 1 and get all the minutes they can handle, just like Austin did this year, and Kyrie the year before. The logjam only impacts the guys at the bottom and middle of the totem pole. Parker knows he is the top priority for Duke. PT will have no influence on his decision to choose Duke or anywhere else for that matter.

Lightbulb

1.Cook/Thornton
    2.Hood/Jones
    3.Murphy/Rasheed
    4.Parker/Jefferson
    5.Randle/Plumlee

And on the "recruitniks are dreamers" theme, I smiled when I saw this hypothetical, as other than Cook's back-up minutes, NONE of these "starter" guys has logged a single minute in a Duke uni yet. Don't get me wrong, as I'm as guilty of it as anybody, but those of us who avidly follow recruiting often make the mistake of expecting the "the one in the bush" is better than ther bird in-hand... And who's to say if Hood wouldn't start at SF in front o Murphy, or Rasheed in front of Hood at SG. That said, this sure would be a spectacular lineup, though getting both Parker and Randle seems a long-shot. But ANY lineup that includes (birds in-hand) Cook, Rasheed, Hood and Jefferson - all 'top-20 or so' recruits - would look pretty darned good. Add to it a superstar like Randle or Parker and you're looking at preaseason top-4 nationally in all probability.

Rivals - Updated

New Rivals rankings: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...yIFIkqqpI5nYcB

I can already predict the angst this ranking will generate on this board. Rankings of note:

1. Jabari
    2. Randle
    9. Cat Barber
    10. Hicks (UNC)
    11. Hubbs
    22. Britt (UNC)
    26. Jones
    32. Anya
    36. Semi
    43. Austin Nichols
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Wow, Hubbs at 11... talk about a monumental jump.

Really not much separation between the 8-20 guys and the 21-40 guys. This is a class with a few clear, top-tier NBA players, and then about 40 more guys who are very solid prospects without much differentiation.

As far as Dawkins goes, as much as I want him to succeed and play well, until he becomes more than an athletic Taylor King(not talking personality, just game-play), I don't see him getting serious minutes.
    And yet you included Matt Jones in your rotation. And as good as I hope Matt becomes, do you have reason to believe that as a freshman he'll be better than fifth year senior Andre in any facet of the game?