Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    This sounds surprising:

Clint Jackson ‏@clintjackson1
    "Not really. I haven't talked to [Mike] Krzyzewski in a long time." -- Jabari Parker on his recent contacts with Coach K
    Here is a link that I got from airowe's twitter account: http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/coll...to-text-parker .

I think this link might help explain why Jabari hasn't talked to K "in a long time"; but It's clear that K has been in regular touch with the Parker family.

Per Evan Daniels at Scout, Cat Barber has narrowed his list to three schools, and maybe it's actually two, but we're not in the group. It looks like it'll be Alabama or Kansas, or perhaps Louisville for Barber. I'm pretty sure we never even offered him.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Per Evan Daniels at Scout, Cat Barber has narrowed his list to three schools, and maybe it's actually two, but we're not in the group. It looks like it'll be Alabama or Kansas, or perhaps Louisville for Barber. I'm pretty sure we never even offered him.
    Cat's been a Duke-phile for a while, and I've been wondering why we haven't offered him. As with any of these talented young men, it's probably a combination of factors, only some of which we fans are privy to. That said, I wish him the best as he seems like a solid young man with a bright future ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Cat's been a Duke-phile for a while, and I've been wondering why we haven't offered him. As with any of these talented young men, it's probably a combination of factors, only some of which we fans are privy to. That said, I wish him the best as he seems like a solid young man with a bright future ahead of him.
    IMO, we havn't offered Barber because we will likely have Cook and Thornton again next year and then in 2014, we are "all-in" with Tyus Jones with Cook still as a likely starter. There just isn't room for Barber at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    IMO, we havn't offered Barber because we will likely have Cook and Thornton again next year and then in 2014, we are "all-in" with Tyus Jones with Cook still as a likely starter. There just isn't room for Barber at this time.
    Duke also thinks Sulaimon can play point at a high level, should the necessity arise.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    The staff has shown it's faith in Quinn more than once. When Myck Kabongo asked for his release from Texas last year, there was wide speculation that he did so with the hope of coming to Durham. This was before Quinn committed, of course. However, the staff stuck with Quinn as their guy. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the staff not offering Cat Barber. I think the staff believes that Quinn is talented enough when healthy to be a top tier point guard . . . that and, as Jim Sumner said (and he knows much better than I), the staff believes Rasheed will be an asset at both guard spots. To me, the faith the staff has in Quinn and Rasheed is reason enough to be excited and encouraged that they saw no way they could use Barber on the roster.

I don't think Parker is a realistic option

Before you start critiquing this, please note that I do want Jabari Parker aka the best SF since LBJ. It would be amazing if he put on a Duke jersey for a year (and let's not kid ourselves - he is only staying for one year at whatever school he goes to), but I really don't think he's going to. Why? Our 3 is so stacked right now and Parker - being the best 3 out there - will play the 3 at whatever school he goes to.

In 2013-2014, he are the players who can play the 3 (and may do so):

Most Comfortable as a 3:
    -Rodney Hood
    -Alex Murphy

Have Played the 3 at Duke:
    -Andre Dawkins

Speculated to some 3 at Duke:
    -Rasheed Sulaimon
    -Amile Jefferson

Based on historical comparisons, may play 3 at Duke:
    -Matt Jones

That is 6 players who can possibly play the 3, 2 of which are most comfortable at the 3. Because of Hood and Murphy, I don't think Rasheed or Amile will touch the 3 at all (Rasheed will be primarily a 1 or 2 and Amile primarily a 4) and Dawkins and Jones may have a few minutes at the 3 but the majority at the 2.

If Parker comes to Duke, he'll probably get 20-25 minutes at the 3 and 5-10 minutes as the 4. However, what happens to all of our other players? Plus, with such a log-jam, I highly doubt that Parker gets those minutes.

If you were Parker, would this be an ideal situation? I know that you can play for a Hall of Fame coach, play in the greatest arena in college ball, and be surrounded by amazing Gothic and Georgian architecture, but the log-jam isn't an ideal situation, even for a player who will get minutes regardless of where we goes.

Personally, I would go after a big like Julius Randle or Austin Nichols, where were is more of a need.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    ...but the log-jam isn't an ideal situation, even for a player who will get minutes regardless of where we goes.
    But why would the log-jam concern him if he's going to get the minutes anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    But why would the log-jam concern him if he's going to get the minutes anyway?
    Because I think there is a massive difference between getting 20-25 minutes a game and 35 minutes a game. Also, doesn't it strike you as a little strange that Hood - who plays the exact same position as Parker during the exact same time - transferred to Duke under speculation from his Mississippi teammate that he would be a one-and-done? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I feel that this is a very telling sign.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Before you start critiquing this, please note that I do want Jabari Parker aka the best SF since LBJ. It would be amazing if he put on a Duke jersey for a year (and let's not kid ourselves - he is only staying for one year at whatever school he goes to), but I really don't think he's going to. Why? Our 3 is so stacked right now and Parker - being the best 3 out there - will play the 3 at whatever school he goes to.

Most Comfortable as a 3:
    -Rodney Hood
    -Alex Murphy

-Andre Dawkins

-Rasheed Sulaimon
    -Amile Jefferson

-Matt Jones

That is 6 players who can possibly play the 3, 2 of which are most comfortable at the 3. Because of Hood and Murphy, I don't think Rasheed or Amile will touch the 3 at all (Rasheed will be primarily a 1 or 2 and Amile primarily a 4) and Dawkins and Jones may have a few minutes at the 3 but the majority at the 2.

If Parker comes to Duke, he'll probably get 20-25 minutes at the 3 and 5-10 minutes as the 4. However, what happens to all of our other players? Plus, with such a log-jam, I highly doubt that Parker gets those minutes.

If you were Parker, would this be an ideal situation? I know that you can play for a Hall of Fame coach, play in the greatest arena in college ball, and be surrounded by amazing Gothic and Georgian architecture, but the log-jam isn't an ideal situation, even for a player who will get minutes regardless of where we goes.

Personally, I would go after a big like Julius Randle or Austin Nichols, where were is more of a need.
    You make room. It's as simple as that. The best players play.

First of all at this point, I wouldn't bet on Sulaimon or Jones playing meaningful minutes at the 3. Same goes for Amile. So we're already down to 3 players.

Second of all, we just saw a full season in which Andre played meaningful minutes at the "3" (K doesn't play positions, yada yada yada, whatever). And the consensus on this board was that this was not an ideal situation. So let's push Andre out of the log-jam as well.

We're down to Murphy and Hood. Not much of a log-jam anymore if you ask me. Especially since you can be VERY flexible with two of Hood/Murphy/Parker out there all game. And especially since these are the exact types of players we were begging to find for the better part of last season.

Not trying to bash your post, just putting a much more pleasing (understatement) spin on the potential "log-jam."

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    You make room. It's as simple as that. The best players play.

First of all at this point, I wouldn't bet on Sulaimon or Jones playing meaningful minutes at the 3. Same goes for Amile. So we're already down to 3 players.

Second of all, we just saw a full season in which Andre played meaningful minutes at the "3" (K doesn't play positions, yada yada yada, whatever). And the consensus on this board was that this was not an ideal situation. So let's push Andre out of the log-jam as well.

We're down to Murphy and Hood. Not much of a log-jam anymore if you ask me. Especially since you can be VERY flexible with two of Hood/Murphy/Parker out there all game. And especially since these are the exact types of players we were begging to find for the better part of last season.

Not trying to bash your post, just putting a much more pleasing (understatement) spin on the potential "log-jam."

- Chillin
    How is Hood/Murphy/Parker not a log-jam? Murphy is excepted to start this year, and Hood was on the All-SEC Freshman team (yes, yes, the SEC isn't the ACC, but it's still BCS and significantly better than the PAC-10/12). I really hope I'm wrong, but our need clearly isn't at the 3, which makes me think that Coach K is going to look elsewhere for talent.

How is Hood/Murphy/Parker not a log-jam? Murphy is excepted to start this year, and Hood was on the All-SEC Freshman team (yes, yes, the SEC isn't the ACC, but it's still BCS and significantly better than the PAC-10/12). I really hope I'm wrong, but our need clearly isn't at the 3, which makes me think that Coach K is going to look elsewhere for talent.
    Because that would be across two positions = 80 minutes / 3 people = almost 27 minutes per game.

The "3" may have a bunch of players capable of playing the position, but why do we have to play them at the "3". Murphy can slide to the "4" and be a Ryan Kelly-esque/Kyle Singler-esque presence. Or Hood can play a tall "2." Heck, wasn't Hood even called a "point-forward" somewhere? So, apparently at least one person believes he can be a "1".

My point is - the best players play. If Parker decides to come, and he is as good as expected, he will play. At Duke, or anywhere.

- Chillin

Because that would be across two positions = 80 minutes / 3 people = almost 27 minutes per game.

The "3" may have a bunch of players capable of playing the position, but why do we have to play them at the "3". Murphy can slide to the "4" and be a Ryan Kelly-esque/Kyle Singler-esque presence. Or Hood can play a tall "2." Heck, wasn't Hood even called a "point-forward" somewhere? So, apparently at least one person believes he can be a "1".

My point is - the best players play. If Parker decides to come, and he is as good as expected, he will play. At Duke, or anywhere.

- Chillin
    Great response, and agree that the best players play. Not sure about sliding Murphy and co to the 4, because then you get into the issue of another log-jam at the 4 with Amile and Hairston.

Most Comfortable as a 3:
    -Rodney Hood
    -Alex Murphy

-Andre Dawkins

-Rasheed Sulaimon
    -Amile Jefferson

-Matt Jones

Well, for one thing, absent further recruiting success, we won't have that much depth in the 4/5 rotation in 2013-14. So I suspect Alex will be playing most of his 2013-14 minutes at PF. Amile too, with some C thrown in. This would leave us with two PGs plus Rasheed, Andre, Rodney, Matt, and in your example Jabari Parker to fill the perimeter minutes. Rasheed may possibly get a some of his minutes as PG at, for example, Tyler's expense if we were that loaded. So, yeah, it's crowded, but it seems workable, especially if (as you suggest) Jabari can play a few minutes at PF as well. Ultimately, I agree with ChillinDuke that you do what you can to accommodate that sort of talent.

Having said all that, I agree our top priority for the 2013 high school class should be a big like Julius Randle. Remains to be seen whether we can accomplish that, however.

Because I think there is a massive difference between getting 20-25 minutes a game and 35 minutes a game.
    Of course there's a difference - but for a player one year removed from high school playing 25 minutes a game is *better.*

Also, doesn't it strike you as a little strange that Hood - who plays the exact same position as Parker during the exact same time - transferred to Duke under speculation from his Mississippi teammate that he would be a one-and-done? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I feel that this is a very telling sign.
    I don't think it tells us anything other than the fact that Parker hasn't yet made his choice. Why would Duke turn down a potential elite talent that can play multiple positions if he wants to join the program? That just wouldn't make sense regardless of the status of Parker's recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, for one thing, absent further recruiting success, we won't have that much depth in the 4/5 rotation in 2013-14. So I suspect Alex will be playing most of his 2013-14 minutes at PF. Amile too, with some C thrown in. This would leave us with two PGs plus Rasheed, Andre, Rodney, Matt, and in your example Jabari Parker to fill the perimeter minutes. Rasheed may possibly get a some of his minutes as PG at, for example, Tyler's expense if we were that loaded. So, yeah, it's crowded, but it seems workable, especially if (as you suggest) Jabari can play a few minutes at PF as well. Ultimately, I agree with ChillinDuke that you do what you can to accommodate that sort of talent.

Having said all that, I agree our top priority for the 2013 high school class should be a big like Julius Randle. Remains to be seen whether we can accomplish that, however.
    Don't discount Hairston, who will play a lot of 4 (he is waaaaay too undersized for the 5 and not quick enough for the 3). Also, if Amile is going to play the 5, I really hope he gets on the Bojangles diet (he weights 197).

I really like our team for 2013-2014 (I am drooling about 2012-2013 as all the pieces are coming together), but Parker is a luxury. I think our chances of getting a big are really good, with Nichols admitting that Duke was his dream school (he said this, right?) and Randle's connection with Matt Jones (I'm not dreaming this, right?).

Is there any sense in which this is an either/or situation? Duke is recruiting all three players, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Is there any sense in which this is an either/or situation? Duke is recruiting all three players, and more.
    It's pure and simple economics - or the allocation of scarce resources, which in this case is time. Coach K doesn't have a lot of time this summer (the Olympics), the most important time frame for high school recruiting. Duke may be recruiting all, but I'm a believer that the harder your work on a recruit, the better chance you have of signing him (ie the whole hard work pays off thing).

Thus, you have to choose your recruiting battles.

Don't discount Hairston, who will play a lot of 4 (he is waaaaay too undersized for the 5 and not quick enough for the 3).
    I agree Josh will play his minutes at PF. But I also think if we have 11 or 12 recruited scholarship players on the roster, absent a big jump in performance and/or abilities, Josh's minutes may be squeezed, even as a senior.

Of course, he certainly could make that jump, and I'm rooting for it. But if our roster looks like: Tyler/Quinn/Rasheed/Andre/Rodney/Matt/Jabari/Alex/Amile/Josh/Julius/Marshall, at least three of those players won't play very much. And if it's only three who are at the end of the bench, it would still mean a 9-man rotation, which K has never really employed. So that means three (maybe four) very deserving players would only get a few minutes per game.

So if we do manage to pick up Parker and/or Randle (obviously a BIG if), based on what we know now, Josh's minutes would be at risk.

- Chillin
    That's still a logjam. I your scenario, Matt Jones, Rasheed Sulaimon, and Andre Dawkins would play 0 minutes at SG or SF. Sulaimon might play some PG, but he'd be competing with Cook and Thornton there. And if you take away minutes at PF, those come from Jefferson, Hairston, and any other freshman PF. Any way you slice it, getting Parker would create a logjam.

That said, you're right: if Parker comes, he'll almost certainly play, and he'll play a lot. It's just that his arrival will mean a severe lack of playing time for one or more highly-recruited players.