Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Yup, that's why I think we can sign a couple of SF types, and why K has an unusually high number of offers out.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yup, that's why I think we can sign a couple of SF types, and why K has an unusually high number of offers out.
    Agree on the emphasis and importance of SF types in this class; gotta wonder some about what Silent G was thinking when he left.
    I'm sure he had his reasons, but there seemed to be a clear need and good opportunity at his position.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Agree on the emphasis and importance of SF types in this class; gotta wonder some about what Silent G was thinking when he left.
    I'm sure he had his reasons, but there seemed to be a clear need and good opportunity at his position.
    I have been wondering the same thing. Obviously he had a little history of bouncing around some, maybe not being very patient for things to develop?? I'm sure he, like most kids who play at that level, had some ego that was not satisfied given his limited playing time last year. I wish him the best playing for K's buddy at Syracuse. But, you are right, there sure is sure a lot of available PT at the SF slot going forward...

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    I have been wondering the same thing. Obviously he had a little history of bouncing around some, maybe not being very patient for things to develop?? I'm sure he, like most kids who play at that level, had some ego that was not satisfied given his limited playing time last year. I wish him the best playing for K's buddy at Syracuse. But, you are right, there sure is sure a lot of available PT at the SF slot going forward...
    On the flipside, I wonder what our recruiting for a small forward/3 would be like if Mike was still with the program (along with Alex of course). Does Jefferson come?

We could really use a good point guard in case Quinn never develops the way he should or at least to back him up. Do we have any point guards on the radar?

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    We could really use a good point guard in case Quinn never develops the way he should or at least to back him up. Do we have any point guards on the radar?
    Appears that Duke is "set" for 2012-'13 and 2013-'14 with Cook, Thornton, Sulaimon [combo]. Lots of talk that Duke is after highly-ranked Tyus Jones in class of 2014. If Jones were to choose Duke, he'd be a frosh during Cook's senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Appears that Duke is "set" for 2012-'13 and 2013-'14 with Cook, Thornton, Sulaimon [combo]. Lots of talk that Duke is after highly-ranked Tyus Jones in class of 2014. If Jones were to choose Duke, he'd be a frosh during Cook's senior year.
    Yeah, that looks like the plan. Scout doesn't have us looking at any PG in the class of 2012 or 2013. So it would appear that the plan is to go with two of Cook, Sulaimon, and Thornton for the next two years, and then hopefully replace Thornton with Jones after that.

It also appears that Coach K is looking to return to the PG, 3 versatile wings (with at least two being taller), and big man approach. We're heavy on the mid-size prospects, lighter on small guards, and lighter on big men.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, that looks like the plan. Scout doesn't have us looking at any PG in the class of 2012 or 2013. So it would appear that the plan is to go with two of Cook, Sulaimon, and Thornton for the next two years, and then hopefully replace Thornton with Jones after that.

It also appears that Coach K is looking to return to the PG, 3 versatile wings (with at least two being taller), and big man approach. We're heavy on the mid-size prospects, lighter on small guards, and lighter on big men.
    Anthony "Cat" Barber in the class of 2013 is on the radar as a PG, but we haven't extended an offer. He called Duke his "dream school." Seems like as of now, Coach K is not necessarily extending the offer, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up doing so.

It might be wishful thinking to believe that Duke is 'set' for the next two seasons with Cook, Thornton, and Sulaimon. Cook is a major question mark. In addition to his smallish frame, his game--not yet a good shooter, not particularly quick, not having shown that he can be a good defender--just might not be Duke level. He also has a troubling history of injury. Thornton simply does not have good enough passing, ball handling, or shooting skills to be a starting point. Sulaimon has not shown strong evidence that he can legitimately play the position either. I think we still have a clear need for a top level point guard right now. Unfortunately it's too late for 2012, but we should be making every effort for 2013.
    Last edited by Steven43; 05-31-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Glass half full or half empty?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Anthony "Cat" Barber in the class of 2013 is on the radar as a PG, but we haven't extended an offer. He called Duke his "dream school." Seems like as of now, Coach K is not necessarily extending the offer, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    It might be wishful thinking to believe that Duke is 'set' for the next two seasons with Cook, Thornton, and Sulaimon. Cook is a major question mark. In addition to his smallish frame, his game--not yet a good shooter, not particularly quick, not having shown that he can be a good defender--just might not be Duke level. He also has a troubling history of injury. Thornton simply does not have good enough passing, ball handling, or shooting skills to be a good college point. Sulaimon has not shown much evidence that he can be a legitimate point guard. I think we still have a clear need for a top level point guard right now. Unfortunately it's too late for 2012, but we should be making every effort to recruit a point for 2013.
    I think the coaching staff has to give the players they have the benefit of the doubt. Thornton was not a very highly recruited player, but has started some and contributed lots to teams that have won 59 games over the last two years, while he was a freshman and sophomore. Cook was a top 30 rated recruit, who dropped (I believe) because he was injured his senior year of high school. He showed glimpses of talent as a freshman that did not turn the ball over much, could penetrate on occasion and could make some good passes. Sulaimon is a top 15 recruit who sounds like he has the potential to be a solid defensive player and someone who can score in a variety of ways. He sounds like he may have the potential to handle PG duties if needed. Duke is allowed to have 12? scholarship players and currently has 3 point guards for the next two years at least.

I don't know that the coaching staff needs to be putting every effort to recruit a point for 2013 when there are three on the roster that all have the potential to be ACC-caliber or better, especially after a year in which Duke didn't defend particularly well in part because the perimeter players were too small. I would prefer the coaching staff put more effort into getting some bigger wings and/or a big man or two rather than another point guard. But, I am in the glass half full camp that feels that Tyler is going to be a very solid upper class contributor, Quinn is going to be an excellent point guard and potential all-ACC as an upperclassman, and Rasheed will be a fantastic freshman in whatever role he ends up with. I really like the team's point guard situation for the next three years and wouldn't mind if Tyus Jones decided to make me comfortable for another year, at least.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

It might be wishful thinking to believe that Duke is 'set' for the next two seasons with Cook, Thornton, and Sulaimon. ... I think we still have a clear need for a top level point guard right now. Unfortunately it's too late for 2012, but we should be making every effort for 2013.
    I'd revise the bolded paragraph to say "We may have a need for a top level point guard right now." It's very possible that a healthier, more experienced Cook is just that player next year. It's possible that he's not. I don't think that Thornton is that top-tier guy, but he's a solid backup/role player/energy guy. And while Sulaimon is not a true PG by any means, he may very well be a suitable backup PG by his junior year (by the time Thornton graduates). And as a third PG, I'm sure he's more than adequate now.

So the biggest question really is whether a healthier Cook will be ready to take over the reigns next year as a sophomore. Judging by the fact that the team didn't recruit a PG this year and isn't putting the full-court press on anyone next year, it would seem like the team is hopeful that Cook is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'd revise the bolded paragraph to say "We may have a need for a top level point guard right now." It's very possible that a healthier, more experienced Cook is just that player next year. It's possible that he's not. I don't think that Thornton is that top-tier guy, but he's a solid backup/role player/energy guy. And while Sulaimon is not a true PG by any means, he may very well be a suitable backup PG by his junior year (by the time Thornton graduates). And as a third PG, I'm sure he's more than adequate now.

So the biggest question really is whether a healthier Cook will be ready to take over the reigns next year as a sophomore. Judging by the fact that the team didn't recruit a PG this year and isn't putting the full-court press on anyone next year, it would seem like the team is hopeful that Cook is ready.
    Exactly. In practical terms, the number of scholarships is finite, and it's necessary to prioritize. We can't simply go after the best at every position every year and have them battle it out for playing time and roster spots. This is not SEC football, nor Kentucky basketball. An emphasis on another PG at this point would detract from other needs and available scholarships.

Not currently looking for a PG in the 2013 recruiting class? As CDu indicates, that's probably good news that the staff is confident that the answer is already on the roster for 2012-13 and 13-14.

I'll put some trust in K's judgment, Quinn Cook's game, and the skills of Duke's orthopods and trainers.

It might be wishful thinking to believe that Duke is 'set' for the next two seasons with Cook, Thornton, and Sulaimon. Cook is a major question mark. In addition to his smallish frame, his game--not yet a good shooter, not particularly quick, not having shown that he can be a good defender--just might not be Duke level. He also has a troubling history of injury. Thornton simply does not have good enough passing, ball handling, or shooting skills to be a starting point. Sulaimon has not shown strong evidence that he can legitimately play the position either. I think we still have a clear need for a top level point guard right now. Unfortunately it's too late for 2012, but we should be making every effort for 2013.
    I understand the wish for a top level point guard right now rather than 3 guys with question marks who may develop into that (imagine if we had a Mason Plumlee-like certainty at point guard). But I can't think of many college programs out there who has a sure-fire top level point guard for 2012 (Craft is the only one that comes to mind). For 2013, Andrew Harrison is the only HS senior who projects to be that as a freshman. I certainly consider junior Cook and sophomore Sulaimon more likely to be a top level point guard in 2013 than a freshman Barber.

Hmm, a meniscus issue is probably the most benign knee issue you can have. It seems that his real problem was that he tried to come back too fast. I'm going to assume that he had a meniscus repair during his HS senior season as if he had a partial removal, he would have been fine after a few days on crutches and maybe a month of rehab, at most. The repair, however, takes a lot longer to fully heal because there's so little blood flow in that particular area of the knee (I've had both procedures, a repair on my left knee and a partial removal of the medial meniscus on my right knee). I was on crutches for two months. Cook came back faster than that and started playing basketball for his high school. Not only did the Duke staff shut him down for the summer, giving him three full months for him to better rehabilitate his knee, he also avoided any additional injury during the course of the season. I would not really call that a troubling injury history. If he had not played any more basketball as a senior in High School and his knee were fully prepared for the summer at Duke, we may have seen a completely different Quinn during his freshman season. I suspect that since he already showed flashes of his ability this past season even though he went from April to September without playing any basketball, we will see a completely different player next season.

Also, I'm not sure where your idea that Quinn Cook isn't particularly quick comes from. His issues on defense had more to do with his size (which won't change) and his inexperience (he routinely fell for fakes, stutter steps, etc.). I thought he showed excellent quickness with the ball on offense and, despite his defensive limitations, showed quick feet that weren't always going in the right direction. Personally, I'm very high on Quinn and would be willing to put a lot down on his being a different player next year. If not, I will eat my words, but I'd be surprised if Quinn doesn't come out next year looking like a potential star.

I'm not down on Cook by any means but he did seem to tweak his knee frequently in games last year and on several occasions he got beat badly enough off the dribble that it would not have mattered how big he was. I'm hopeful that he'll be a lot healthier and effective this year but I haven't seen anything that makes me as optimistic about his role this year as some other folks seem to be. I'm not a recruiting expert but I recall that QC's rep in HS was pretty much what we have seen - a good scorer and passer but not super quick. I think he may very well have an All ACC level game by his senior year but with his smallish size and only average quickness, I doubt he'll be a Defensive POY candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Hmm, a meniscus issue is probably the most benign knee issue you can have. It seems that his real problem was that he tried to come back too fast. I'm going to assume that he had a meniscus repair during his HS senior season as if he had a partial removal, he would have been fine after a few days on crutches and maybe a month of rehab, at most. The repair, however, takes a lot longer to fully heal because there's so little blood flow in that particular area of the knee (I've had both procedures, a repair on my left knee and a partial removal of the medial meniscus on my right knee). I was on crutches for two months. Cook came back faster than that and started playing basketball for his high school. Not only did the Duke staff shut him down for the summer, giving him three full months for him to better rehabilitate his knee, he also avoided any additional injury during the course of the season. I would not really call that a troubling injury history. If he had not played any more basketball as a senior in High School and his knee were fully prepared for the summer at Duke, we may have seen a completely different Quinn during his freshman season. I suspect that since he already showed flashes of his ability this past season even though he went from April to September without playing any basketball, we will see a completely different player next season.

Also, I'm not sure where your idea that Quinn Cook isn't particularly quick comes from. His issues on defense had more to do with his size (which won't change) and his inexperience (he routinely fell for fakes, stutter steps, etc.). I thought he showed excellent quickness with the ball on offense and, despite his defensive limitations, showed quick feet that weren't always going in the right direction. Personally, I'm very high on Quinn and would be willing to put a lot down on his being a different player next year. If not, I will eat my words, but I'd be surprised if Quinn doesn't come out next year looking like a potential star.
    I'm with you on this. I think we see a totally different QC this year. Not only do players usually make the biggest jump in improvement over the summer after their frosh season, he will or should be back at 100% health wise to where that will not be a concern (fingers crossed). If the staff isn't worried enough to be putting a big push on for a PG then I am not going too either. My memories are bad for exact dates and teams, but it wasn't that long ago when K was frustrated after a season and made a comment in the press along the lines of {'what this team needs is a true PG'} and then went out and got KI... so... once again for Duke BB in K, I trust.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    WRT quickness - I think I speak for most people when I say the concerns are purely limited to lateral quickness. Personally, I didn't think he stood out in that regard even pre-injury. Size also factors into that; even for his height, he has very short legs, which makes covering ground quickly a little bit harder for obvious reasons (more steps). There were certainly some mental lapses last year, but there were also plenty of times where players just turned the corner after a dribble or two and went right past him.

I certainly hope you're right though, and agree that he would have been better off resting for longer - I was whining about that last fall, even with the assurances that he was "completely 100%" and that there was supposedly no risk in putting him into the fray full speed. I thought that recovering that health and quickness was SO important in the long-run that he should have just taken a medical redshirt, honestly.

But anyway, I'm just hoping he can improve his quickness enough to become an average defender next year. That will be more than enough to cross the threshold needed to become a very effective all-around PG who could change the complexion of our team.

Semi Ojeleye Offered

I don't think it's been mentioned previously on this thread; apparently, Semi Ojeleye was offered a scholarship during his visit over the weekend. Alex Kline of the Recruit Scoop, Evan Floyd of Badger247 (not sure who this is really...), and perhaps most reliably, Rivals, all report Semi Ojeleye as having an offer:

https://twitter.com/#!/TheRecruitScoop
    https://twitter.com/#!/Evan_Flood247
    http://247sports.com/Player/Semilore-Ojeleye-16267
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...Ojeleye-114227

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I don't think it's been mentioned previously on this thread; apparently, Semi Ojeleye was offered a scholarship during his visit over the weekend. Alex Kline of the Recruit Scoop, Evan Floyd of Badger247 (not sure who this is really...), and perhaps most reliably, Rivals, all report Semi Ojeleye as having an offer:

https://twitter.com/#!/TheRecruitScoop
    https://twitter.com/#!/Evan_Flood247
    http://247sports.com/Player/Semilore-Ojeleye-16267
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...Ojeleye-114227
    Call me when you have a real source like Jonathon Paige. We can't trust these other guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Call me when you have a real source like Jonathon Paige. We can't trust these other guys.
    haha, that's what I was thinking a bit. But I'd say Rivals (via Yahoo! Sports) is quite a reliable source. And despite Alex Kline's young age, he's also been in the business a while and people know him - he's not known to make up stories even if you think his knowledge of basketball isn't so great. So, I'd say three sources (which includes one of the two largest basketball recruiting sites on the internet) indicating an offer should lead us to believe it that it's legit.