Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duhon didn't start until Boozer's broken foot in the next-to-last regular-season game.
    Jim, Please tell me that you have to go back and refer to notes on this stuff. I have to try hard to remember what I had for breakfast most days. You are an amazingly rich source of basketball knowledge and we are lucky to have you on this board!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Jim, Please tell me that you have to go back and refer to notes on this stuff. I have to try hard to remember what I had for breakfast most days. You are an amazingly rich source of basketball knowledge and we are lucky to have you on this board!!
    No, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.

Actually, it was a Hyatt. But I digress.

First pitch. Gotta go.

Jim and Adam

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I agree. I can not thank you 2 enough for your knowledge and opinions. Again, Thanks.

Allerik Freeman

My apologies if this has already been covered previously in this thread. I just saw where Allerik Freeman has changed high schools for what I believe is the third time. I remember in the Gbinije thread, where a stat was thrown out that if any kid transfers multiple times in HS, then its a near certainty that he'll do the same in college. Does anyone remember this? If that's indeed the case, would Duke be wise to steer clear of Freeman at this point? Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    My apologies if this has already been covered previously in this thread. I just saw where Allerik Freeman has changed high schools for what I believe is the third time. I remember in the Gbinije thread, where a stat was thrown out that if any kid transfers multiple times in HS, then its a near certainty that he'll do the same in college. Does anyone remember this? If that's indeed the case, would Duke be wise to steer clear of Freeman at this point? Looking forward to your thoughts on this.
    It's not just that he's transferred. He's transferred to Findlay Prep, in Henderson, Nevada. It's essentially a basketball team.

Freeman Response

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It's not just that he's transferred. He's transferred to Findlay Prep, in Henderson, Nevada. It's essentially a basketball team.
    Jim,
    Thanks so much for the feedback and please forgive my ignorance, but does that mean he's refining his craft and ignoring academics? Does that mean Duke would be wise to steer clear of him as a prospect?

Jim,
    Thanks so much for the feedback and please forgive my ignorance, but does that mean he's refining his craft and ignoring academics? Does that mean Duke would be wise to steer clear of him as a prospect?
    http://www.masslive.com/hoophallclas...dlay_prep.html

Findlay Prep

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    WOW! As tightly wound as the NCAA is, how do they allow students from this "school" to participate at any level of collegiate basketball? This sounds as shady as it comes.

Reserve Judgment?

WOW! As tightly wound as the NCAA is, how do they allow students from this "school" to participate at any level of collegiate basketball? This sounds as shady as it comes.
    While I can't say anything specific about Findlay Prep (never knew that much about it before reading the article above), I have had the personal experience of attending a sport-centric high school and I would suggest people hold off judgment. Schools like that have been created to address a very specific (and little-known) problem: athlete drop-out rates. It's a serious issue for elite, national-level athletes. I don't want to spout off about it here, but I will say that I would never have been able to graduate and go to Duke while also competing in my sport, had it not been for my high school. Like at any school, some students will take their schoolwork more seriously than others. But personally, I wouldn't be surprised at all if graduates from Findlay Prep outperformed a good chunk of our nation's public school students.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    While I can't say anything specific about Findlay Prep (never knew that much about it before reading the article above), I have had the personal experience of attending a sport-centric high school and I would suggest people hold off judgment. Schools like that have been created to address a very specific (and little-known) problem: athlete drop-out rates. It's a serious issue for elite, national-level athletes. I don't want to spout off about it here, but I will say that I would never have been able to graduate and go to Duke while also competing in my sport, had it not been for my high school. Like at any school, some students will take their schoolwork more seriously than others. But personally, I wouldn't be surprised at all if graduates from Findlay Prep outperformed a good chunk of our nation's public school students.
    In an article it cites that these athletes GPA average is 2.4...not extremely impressive, but it could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    In an article it cites that these athletes GPA average is 2.4...not extremely impressive, but it could be worse.
    Actually, it's a little lower. But also, that's their college GPA.

Prep alumni currently in college have a combined 2.3 GPA
    I'm just saying, the time commitment these kids put in is unimaginable. A lot of academics look down their noses at these athletes, without ever knowing the true meaning of effort. I was a student-athlete in high school, and I was a full-time student in college. I can honestly say that I'm much prouder of (and worked much harder for) my 3.0 in highschool than my 3.7 at Duke.

- my 2 cents

Actually, it's a little lower. But also, that's their college GPA.

I'm just saying, the time commitment these kids put in is unimaginable. A lot of academics look down their noses at these athletes, without ever knowing the true meaning of effort. I was a student-athlete in high school, and I was a full-time student in college. I can honestly say that I'm much prouder of (and worked much harder for) my 3.0 in highschool than my 3.7 at Duke.

- my 2 cents
    You are obviously right--being a serious athlete and a student at the same time is never easy, and no one should look down their noses at student athletes, though I think you are also right that many academics do, and do resent the power and influence of sports at D1 colleges.

On the other hand, there is a difference between a sports-centric high school where an effort is made to accommodate athletes' schedules, etc., to help them do both (which sounds like the type of school you went to) and a school whose sole purpose is to field a basketball team while simultaneously paying lip service to the idea that the players are getting a high school education (and often finding some pretty dodgy ways to do so). I don't know that much about Findlay, but what I have read about some of these "schools" could curl your hair--and once again, the athletes are often being exploited to some extent--they are not really the ones who should be criticized.

As long as the NCAA cooperates with the NBA by running a one-year farm system, there will be at least a few players who need to figure out a way to get into college even though they really don't have the interest or skill set to benefit from a college education. And there will be at least a few schools that help them do so in a cynical, corner-cutting way rather than in a supportive, socially responsible way. And one of the products of this system is the almost always unfair disrespect of student athletes that you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    You are obviously right--being a serious athlete and a student at the same time is never easy, and no one should look down their noses at student athletes, though I think you are also right that many academics do, and do resent the power and influence of sports at D1 colleges.

On the other hand, there is a difference between a sports-centric high school where an effort is made to accommodate athletes' schedules, etc., to help them do both (which sounds like the type of school you went to) and a school whose sole purpose is to field a basketball team while simultaneously paying lip service to the idea that the players are getting a high school education (and often finding some pretty dodgy ways to do so). I don't know that much about Findlay, but what I have read about some of these "schools" could curl your hair--and once again, the athletes are often being exploited to some extent--they are not really the ones who should be criticized.

As long as the NCAA cooperates with the NBA by running a one-year farm system, there will be at least a few players who need to figure out a way to get into college even though they really don't have the interest or skill set to benefit from a college education. And there will be at least a few schools that help them do so in a cynical, corner-cutting way rather than in a supportive, socially responsible way. And one of the products of this system is the almost always unfair disrespect of student athletes that you describe.
    You are absolutely correct, sir. Like I (and you) said, based on the article, I have no idea if Findlay Prep does or does not fall into the category of "corner-cutters," although it certainly is implied. I was only jumping in to point out that there is an entire other category of sport schools: the supportive, socially responsible ones.

To bring it back on topic, I have a feeling that if Duke brings in a recruit from any such school, it will be one from the second category.
    Last edited by Jderf; 05-29-2012 at 01:14 PM.

You are absolutely correct, sir. Like I (and you) said, based on the article, I have no idea if Findlay Prep does or does not fall into the category of "corner-cutters," although it certainly is implied. I was only jumping in to point out that there is an entire other category of sport schools: the supportive, socially responsible ones.

To bring it back on topic, I have a feeling that if Duke brings in a recruit from any such school, it will be one from the second category.
    And we very nearly did bring in such a recruit from none other than Findlay last year - Myck Kabongo.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Semi Ojeleye

Semi O. will be visiting on Thursday. Has anyone seen him or know much about the young man? Will he get an offer while on campus? LINK

He has an offer now. A strong wing we'd love to have.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    He has an offer now. A strong wing we'd love to have.
    When did he get an offer? Unless it was very recently, I'm pretty sure he hasn't yet. Perhaps while on campus he'll get one.

Recently.
    Great student, strong player, would love to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Recently.
    Great student, strong player, would love to have him.
    Good to know, thanks bud.

Definitely sounds like a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ay16CcGyM4

Versatile, mid-sized wings seems to be the order of the day.

Link is to highlights of Robert Hubbs, 6'6" from TN, who seems to be rising quickly in the rankings.