Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Did a little research. Rivals shows Beejay as having a Duke offer. I could not find the source for James Young, but could have sworn that one came from twitter. Maybe Airowe can confirm either way. If we learn he does not have an offer yet, I will edit that out of the table. Thanks
    Yes, that would be great if Airowe could chime in. Because here is the interesting thing: Rivals shows Anya with offers from both Duke and UNC, but in the National Recruiting Spotlight blog I linked above, the blogger (Josh Paunil, don't know much about him except he also writes for Bleacher Report, which isn't necessarily a good sign) interviewed Anya last week and quotes him directly as saying neither Duke nor UNC has offered. If he weren't quoting directly, I'd probably assume Rivals, as a much more established source, has it right. But unless he just made up the quotation (not impossible, but not designed to achieve much credibility for your recruiting blog), I'm thinking there is at least a chance that Rivals got it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yes, that would be great if Airowe could chime in. Because here is the interesting thing: Rivals shows Anya with offers from both Duke and UNC, but in the National Recruiting Spotlight blog I linked above, the blogger (Josh Paunil, don't know much about him except he also writes for Bleacher Report, which isn't necessarily a good sign) interviewed Anya last week and quotes him directly as saying neither Duke nor UNC has offered. If he weren't quoting directly, I'd probably assume Rivals, as a much more established source, has it right. But unless he just made up the quotation (not impossible, but not designed to achieve much credibility for your recruiting blog), I'm thinking there is at least a chance that Rivals got it wrong.
    Can't settle this definitively, but I'd say Rivals is not a great source for basketball recruiting. Better for football recruiting.
    Pretty good chance they're wrong here, especially if we're having difficulty finding a corraborating source.

Still a wide net for this 2013 group.

I'm not aware of offers to James Young or Beejay Anya, but that doesn't mean they don't have one. I've been a little out of the loop lately.

Jabari Parker gets an SI cover story.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Jabari Parker gets an SI cover story.
    Yeah, I saw that and was about to post it myself.

If he's not already there, Jabari is the next recruit we'll obsess about.

Looks like a Duke guy to me; I hope he realizes it.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, I saw that and was about to post it myself.

If he's not already there, Jabari is the next recruit we'll obsess about.

Looks like a Duke guy to me; I hope he realizes it.
    Everything I have read about him suggests he realizes he is a Duke-type guy; but with the siren song of all those big-deal recruiters, realizing he is actually a Duke guy may be harder, alas. Fingers crossed.

Dave Telep chat on Jabari, Amile, Montrezl, and Andrew Wiggins.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Dave Telep chat on Jabari, Amile, Montrezl, and Andrew Wiggins.
    An excerpt, for what it's worth:

Cameron Morris (Manteo, North Carolina)
    with amile jefferson, rasheed saulimon, with an addition to what they have coming back. do you think duke can be a final 4 team?

Dave Telep (3:12 PM)
    Duke landing Amile Jefferson was critical. They needed a rally and didn't want Jefferson in the hands of the enemy (ie NC State). Are they a Final Four team? I think until their PG play steadies itself, making a statement like that would be very aggressive.
    I personally don't think people give Quinn Cook enough credit because his defense was suspect last year, but I think he will prove people wrong as a soph, especially since his leg injury is now (presumably) a thing of the past and he will be stronger.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

I personally don't think people give Quinn Cook enough credit because his defense was suspect last year, but I think he will prove people wrong as a soph, especially since his leg injury is now (presumably) a thing of the past and he will be stronger.
    I think you may well be right, and I hope you are--but you can't blame Dave Telep for wanting to see what Quinn can do before making any pronouncements. He's certainly right that PG play is going to make a big difference in Duke's prospects this coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

What exactly does Cook deserve credit for exactly? He struggled with his long rang shooting and defense (as you mentioned). He never grabbed hold of the starting PG position like so many freshmen have done before at Duke. I can certainly see why Telep would have doubts about the Duke PG position.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I think you may well be right, and I hope you are--but you can't blame Dave Telep for wanting to see what Quinn can do before making any pronouncements. He's certainly right that PG play is going to make a big difference in Duke's prospects this coming season.
    Agreed. My comment wasn't necessarily directed at Telep. There have been a lot of naysayers, including on this very Board. Time will tell but I am very optimistic about Quinn's potential and abilities as long as he is healthy. I don't believe last year is an accurate representation of what he can and will accomplish.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Agree, but

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    What exactly does Cook deserve credit for exactly? He struggled with his long rang shooting and defense (as you mentioned). He never grabbed hold of the starting PG position like so many freshmen have done before at Duke. I can certainly see why Telep would have doubts about the Duke PG position.
    With Quinn's injury(knee), we really did not see the best of Quinn Cook his freshman year. We did see a glimpse of his passing ability and he did make a few shots before re-injurying that bothersome knee. My hope is we see a healthy Quinn Cook that plays good on the ball defense and hits his outside shot. By years end he was not getting the lift on his jump shot that is needed to be a consistent shooter. Well unless you're Nolan Smith that is. GoDuke!

Cook certainly has to prove himself. Without a question. But Cook was good enough to start at PG on the U.S. U17 team a couple of summers ago, starting ahead of Marquis Teague. He led everyone in the U17 World Championships with 7.4 assists per game, as the U.S. team went 8-0.

That was the level Cook played at before he hurt his knee. He was an elite prep PG when healthy. I wouldn't bet against him regaining that level.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    He was not consistent, but Quinn did show us flashes of his potential, I thought. The knee issues and sickness certainly factored into the inconsistency. Hard to have lateral quickness on an unstable knee. He also missed the entire summer offseason training, including the China trip. If you look at all of that on the whole, then it is fair to believe Quinn can be an above average PG if fully healthy, and a full, healthy off-season to train.

There is no guarantee, but if the knee holds up, I think he will get the keys to the car on day 1, and will perform well.

Recently updated top 100 list for 2013 class from scout.com

1 Jabari Parker
    2 Julius Randle
    7 James Young
    9 Isaiah Hicks -- UNC verbal
    22 Nate Brill -- UNC verbal
    23 Matt Jones -- Duke verbal
    33 Ish Wainright
    41 Allerik Freeman
    44 Marcus Lee
    53 Austin Nichols
    77 Robert Hubbs

Ojeleye, 2013 G/F, to Visit Durham 5/31

A nice article from The Chronicle regarding Semi Ojeleye(#30-Scout.com) and a little blurb about Rodney Hood(apparently he hasn't visited yet but will soon.) among other tid-bits.

LINK:http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/201...ly-visit-duke/

Freeman transferring to Findlay

Dave Telep ‏@DaveTelep

Charlotte Olympic guard Al Freeman will spend his final season at Findlay Prep in Henderson, Nev.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Recently updated top 100 list for 2013 class from scout.com

1 Jabari Parker
    2 Julius Randle
    7 James Young
    9 Isaiah Hicks -- UNC verbal
    22 Nate Brill -- UNC verbal
    23 Matt Jones -- Duke verbal
    33 Ish Wainright
    41 Allerik Freeman
    44 Marcus Lee
    53 Austin Nichols
    77 Robert Hubbs
    ESPN's hot-off-the-presses updated top 100:
    1 Jabari Parker
    2 Julius Randle
    5 James Young
    10 Isaiah Hicks -- UNC verbal
    21 Nate Britt -- UNC verbal
    19 Matt Jones -- Duke verbal
    18 Ishmail Wainright
    35 Allerik Freeman
    26 Marcus Lee
    29 Austin Nichols
    87 Robert Hubbs

PERSPECTIVE

"Ohio State has one player signed for the Class of 2012, guard Amadeo Della Valle, having missed out on three top prospects: Tony Parker (UCLA), Amile Jefferson (Duke), and DaJuan Coleman (Syracuse)."

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    He was not consistent, but Quinn did show us flashes of his potential, I thought. The knee issues and sickness certainly factored into the inconsistency. Hard to have lateral quickness on an unstable knee. He also missed the entire summer offseason training, including the China trip. If you look at all of that on the whole, then it is fair to believe Quinn can be an above average PG if fully healthy, and a full, healthy off-season to train.

There is no guarantee, but if the knee holds up, I think he will get the keys to the car on day 1, and will perform well.
    I would agree about the potential. Apart from AR, Cook seemed to be the only guy who could beat his man off the dribble last year. He seemed to spark the team and a few times jump started Mason similar to KI did last year. I'm excited to see him play this year and he has a decent mid range game. Offensively he got a bit out of control which should fix itself this year and defensively I didn't think he was a particular liability he just wasn't TT and K doesn't seem to trust freshmen.

That said, I see no reason why Cook can't be like a Chris Duhon type who is surrounded by talent and needs to be a facilitator but can beat you unlike Marshall struggled to last year. I think 8-10 points and 4.5-6.5 assists a game is well within the realm of possibilities especially when he averaged 4.4 points and 1.9 assists in 11.7 minutes.