Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    What's your take on him, FO? He's a new name to me, and while most services seem to have him in the top 10-15, Scout has him at #27 overall. He wasn't overwhelming physically in the highlights I just watched (looked to have average length/athleticism for a top 30 wing), but obviously that doesn't mean much.
    I don't know much either but it sounds like he impressed last weekend

Chad Lykins ‏ @CLykinsBlog
    James Young was the most impressive player during session #1 of the EYBL averaging 26.8 points and 8.0 rebounds per game for The Family (MI)

What's your take on him, FO? He's a new name to me, and while most services seem to have him in the top 10-15, Scout has him at #27 overall. He wasn't overwhelming physically in the highlights I just watched (looked to have average length/athleticism for a top 30 wing), but obviously that doesn't mean much.
    For one, he's more than just a raw athletic prospect like a lot of guys. I wouldn't even describe him as a "pogo stick" like Jackson did, although he's a good leaper. He can play the SG or SF position and he has good length (long arms). I'll be honest, I am not totally enamored with our current 2013 recruiting of undersized combo guards who aren't necessarily going to help us on defense. Defense has been our biggest problem the last 2 years, IMO. Young has a ton of potential to develop physically, and when he does, watch out. He's already a big-time scorer and I think he has the potential to be very very good.

On a somewhat related note, I'm torn between whether or not I want Amile Jefferson. I think he's going to be a very good 4 year player, but I can't decide how good and I'm afraid he could scare other potentially better recruits off. I also don't think he's quite big enough to be an ideal PF. But then again, I think he compares very favorably to Lance, so who knows. He seems like a great kid as well. I'll be happy either way (unless he goes to State and they win the ACC).

Oh, and I hope we land Hood. And Young. Sulaimon, Young, and Hood on the perimeter would be a nightmare to play against. Parker could still come as well... And Randle... Now I'm just getting ahead of myself.
    Last edited by FireOgilvie; 04-28-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    I haven't watched any of Ish's highlight reels yet, but is it wrong that I'm already sold after seeing just a still photo of the young man? He is built like a truck and looks ready to do some damage. Sign him up.

PHOTO
    Duke starting Center.

More on James Young:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCNQWaP7iU8

He reminds me of Evan Turner in a lot of ways.

I hope our coaches gives him a call; Michigan State, Kansas, and now Kentucky are already all over him. He can play the 2 or 3.

Mom and Dad Strike Again

Mommy and Daddy Ish like us. Hopefully Ish does as well.

From Airowe's twitter:

Adam Rowe ‏ @DukeHoopBlog
    Boom. Beast. RT @JoshPaunilNRS Ish Wainright says his parents want Duke atop his list & it definitely seems like they are.

I have had the chance to see Austin Nichols 4 times this year. Which include the Penny Hardaway shootout and im currently at the Real Deal in the Rock. I read an earlier comparison to MP2. He is shorter but has amazing wing span. He runs the floor well and is athletic (but not on MP2 level). He does have great hands and has an excellent jump hook with either hand. His main issue is his lack of strength and ability to rebound in traffic. With all that said i think he would thrive in the Duke system especially if he hits the weight room!

updating the list

Adding James Young to the list of potentials for 2013, the list, compiled from posts and tweets of others -- meaning it's likely incomplete -- looks like this:

PF's:
    Julius Randle, 6'9" 225 out of Texas. Superstar, plays on same AAU team with Matt Jones, which can't be a bad thing.
    Austin Nichols, 6'8" 200 out of Tennessee. Both sides appear very interested.
    Marcus Lee, 6'9" 220, California

SF's:
    Jabari Parker 6'8" 220, Chicago. Superstar.
    Andrew Wiggins 6'7" 200 out of Canada, possible to reclassify from 2014. Everyone wants him.
    Ish Wainwright 6'5" 220 out of Missouri. We're really pushing on him, and the positive vibes appear to be mutual.
    Semi Ojeleye 6'6" 220 out of Kansas
    Tyrone Outlaw, 6'6", 190, North Carolina
    James Young, 6'5", 200 out of Michigan. Blew up recently. Already stated he likes Michigan State, but Duke and Kentucky are his "dream schools." However, also says Kentucky is his leader at this point.

Centers:
    BeeJay Anya 6'8" 265 out of DeMatha. Haven't heard anything about him lately though. Are we actually recruiting him?

PG:
    Cat Barber 6'2" 165 out of Hampton
    Tyler Ennis 6'2" 180, Canada

SG:
    Allerik Freeman 6'3" 195, local kid from North Carolina. We're hot on his trail.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Adding James Young to the list of potentials for 2013, the list, compiled from posts and tweets of others -- meaning it's likely incomplete -- looks like this:

PF's:
    Julius Randle, 6'9" 225 out of Texas. Superstar, plays on same AAU team with Matt Jones, which can't be a bad thing.
    Austin Nichols, 6'8" 200 out of Tennessee. Both sides appear very interested.
    Marcus Lee, 6'9" 220, California

SF's:
    Jabari Parker 6'8" 220, Chicago. Superstar.
    Andrew Wiggins 6'7" 200 out of Canada, possible to reclassify from 2014. Everyone wants him.
    Ish Wainwright 6'5" 220 out of Missouri. We're really pushing on him, and the positive vibes appear to be mutual.
    Semi Ojeleye 6'6" 220 out of Kansas
    Tyrone Outlaw, 6'6", 190, North Carolina
    James Young, 6'5", 200 out of Michigan. Blew up recently. Already stated he likes Michigan State, but Duke and Kentucky are his "dream schools." However, also says Kentucky is his leader at this point.

Centers:
    BeeJay Anya 6'8" 265 out of DeMatha. Haven't heard anything about him lately though. Are we actually recruiting him?

PG:
    Cat Barber 6'2" 165 out of Hampton
    Tyler Ennis 6'2" 180, Canada

SG:
    Allerik Freeman 6'3" 195, local kid from North Carolina. We're hot on his trail.

Thanks so much for keeping these lists updated. I wonder if there is a way to keep some sort of a ticker at the top of the board, although I imagine not.

Curious about Anya. I'm not certain we're formally recruiting him, although I would love it if we were. Does anyone know for certain what our status is with him?

Nice writeup on Ish Wainwright from Blue Devil Nation.

Defensively, Wainright has tried to establish himself as a “shutdown defender,” a phrase more commonly associated with relatively diminutive cornerbacks in football. This past weekend, the 6’6″ wing with a 7’2″ wingspan, played in three games and held the exceptionally talented Andrew Wiggins, the MVP of the recent Nike Hoop Summit, to a far and away session-low eight points in twenty-six minutes. Ishmail followed that up by holding consensus top twenty-five 2014 player Paul White to two points in twenty-two minutes and ESPN’s sixth-ranked 2013 player, Troy Williams, to six points and four turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Thanks so much for keeping these lists updated. I wonder if there is a way to keep some sort of a ticker at the top of the board, although I imagine not.

Curious about Anya. I'm not certain we're formally recruiting him, although I would love it if we were. Does anyone know for certain what our status is with him?
    Well, I guess Clint Jackson has been reading DBR and saw my request for clarification on Anya.

Clint Jackson ‏ @clintjackson1
    2013 C BeeJay Anya gave us a really quick list of Syracuse, North Carolina, Duke, Ohio State, Indiana, Kansas.

Anthony Barber/Al Freeman basic stats from this weekend, courtesy of @CLykinsBlog:

Allerick Freeman with 19/5, Anthony Barber with 11/5/6 for Boo Williams in a loss to Bluff City Legends during session #2 at EYBL.

Anthony Barber finished with 13 pts and 5 asts, Allerik Freeman with 5 pts in a win for Boo Williams earlier today at the EYBL.

Allerik Freeman with 13 pts, Anthony Barber with 12 pts, 7 asts in an evening W for Boo Williams at EYBL.

Anthony Barber with 17 pts, 4 rebs, 4 asts, Allerik Freeman with 2 pts (1-7 FG) in an afternoon W for Boo Williams at EYBL.

Anthony Barber with 7 pts and 4 asts, Allerik Freeman with 6 in an afternoon win for Boo Williams at the EYBL.
    Still a little confused why we offered Freeman over Barber...

Anthony Barber/Al Freeman basic stats from this weekend, courtesy of @CLykinsBlog:

Still a little confused why we offered Freeman over Barber...
    Maybe the decision is not based on the performance in a couple of all star games?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Maybe the decision is not based on the performance in a couple of all star games?
    I've long been of the opinion that Barber is the better player and fit with more potential, yet supposedly Freeman impressed the staff enough in last weekend's sessions of this national AAU tournament enough to gain the offer, while Barber didn't. Maybe I'm just posting updates from EYBL, and my opinion isn't based on performance in a couple of "all star games" either?

Barber doesn't see the court all that well and doesn't shoot well; he's just a slasher. Duke wants abetter true PG, not an undersized combo guard.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Barber doesn't see the court all that well ...
    Cat has fish eyes?

I've long been of the opinion that Barber is the better player and fit with more potential, yet supposedly Freeman impressed the staff enough in last weekend's sessions of this national AAU tournament enough to gain the offer, while Barber didn't. Maybe I'm just posting updates from EYBL, and my opinion isn't based on performance in a couple of "all star games" either?
    I've been wondering about Cat Barber, particularly given his well established affinity for Duke. Does anyone know how K incorporates a player's stated desire to play for Duke, if at all, into his recruiting calculus when deciding on whom to pursue? Part of me wishes he would go after these kids who out of the gate express a passion for Duke. Cat and Jaquel Richmond come to mind. Perhaps I'm just exhausted after the recent "I will make you love me" pursuits of this last cycle. Or, perhaps Tyus Jones is just good enough to wait on and we can't afford to offer another 2013/2014 floor general with Quinn and Tyler already on board.

I for one would love to see us go after Barber. However, K and Company obviously have seen something they prefer in Al Freeman, and it sounds like he's not far behind Cat in his enthusiasm for Duke anyway.

Parker vs Wiggins

I read the article on the front page of DBR; and I wanted to get the opinions of those that may have seen more footage of Andrew Wiggins than myself in regards to what makes Wiggins really special. And with the real possiblility that Wiggins my reclassify to the 2013, who is the better player between Jabari and Wiggins and why? Would you rather have Wiggins over Parker for Duke's recruiting class of 2013 if Wiggins reclassified and you had to pick between the two? I like Jabari. I think he has a more versatile skillset and will project to be a better pro player; but I admit that I'm biased towards Jabari imo.

I'd heard Wiggins was a package deal with his brother, who's also a high-level recruit. Does anyone know if that's true? And if so, would Duke consider offering both? (I can't see them being willing to do that, but I personally probably would be.)

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I'd heard Wiggins was a package deal with his brother, who's also a high-level recruit. Does anyone know if that's true? And if so, would Duke consider offering both? (I can't see them being willing to do that, but I personally probably would be.)
    I think that if it were up to you, me, or pretty much any group of DBR members, we'd probably end up offering the entire top 50 -- first come, first serve. I seem to fall in love with every player mentioned here, and I don't even watch the highlight videos (for that very reason). But I guess that's why they pay Mr. Krzyzewski the big bucks, and not poor ol' me.
    Last edited by Jderf; 04-30-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    And will we have to compete with the Battle School to get him?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)