Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Obviously it's a long way off and things can change a lot, but Julius Randle, who everyone has in their top 5 in the class of 2013, including many rating him the #1 overall player, says he will probably attend Duke's Midnight Madness. That can't be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Obviously it's a long way off and things can change a lot, but Julius Randle, who everyone has in their top 5 in the class of 2013, including many rating him the #1 overall player, says he will probably attend Duke's Midnight Madness. That can't be bad.
    Because of the Olympics next summer, Duke need and wants to identify and concentrate on a handful of key targets from the class of 2013. Randle, Jabari Parker, Matt Jones and Nerlens Noel have jumped to the top of the list. Expect to hear their names a lot over the next few months. An early committment or two would make K's life a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    An early committment or two would make K's life a lot easier.
    And eliminate a ton of angst on DBR and other message boards.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    And eliminate a ton of angst on DBR and other message boards.
    Eliminate? Very polite, but amusing.

I would suggest the term "transfer." Mayhaps "redirect."

The angst on this board cannot be eliminated.

2013 Jabari Parker

Per Zagoria: **2013 star Julius Randle said in his blog he will “probably visit Duke for Midnight Madness.”
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Link you ask, here you go: http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/07/26/s...iting-roundup/

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The angst on this board cannot be eliminated.
    It seems I overstated my case, so I stand corrected.
    Bob Green

Coach K and staff are on a roll. They offered 2013 combo guard Bronson Koenig today.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Coach K and staff are on a roll. They offered 2013 combo guard Bronson Koenig today.
    I saw that UNC was also interested in him.

I've seen a few videos; my somewhat limited impression is that he's an undersized Scheyer type of a player with better passing abilities (also hear he's a good shooter, but not particularly athletic).

kinda interesting that we offered Bronson Koenig, a pg in the 2013 class, and not Nate Britt. Especially considering all the DC connections that Duke staff has developed through the years. Although Coach K watched Koenig recently and must have been impressing. Nate Britt is listed higher on most sites. Anyone know if we are actively recruiting/ interest in Britt at all?

UNC is on Koenig and Britt. Duke has greart connections through Nolan, Kyrie and DCA, but Britt liked the powder blue growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by OnToTheNextOne View Post
    kinda interesting that we offered Bronson Koenig, a pg in the 2013 class, and not Nate Britt. Especially considering all the DC connections that Duke staff has developed through the years. Although Coach K watched Koenig recently and must have been impressing. Nate Britt is listed higher on most sites. Anyone know if we are actively recruiting/ interest in Britt at all?
    There's a lot more to recruiting than Scout's or Rivals' rankings. Academics, desire, and team chemistry among the most prevalent.

We never really know - we can't know - the nuances. The coaches share what they find useful to share, and there are tight restrictions on what they can say on the record. Various sites speculate rampantly. We all read way more into any one tweet than anyone ever meant to imply. It's never transparent.

About all we can take from the process is that the coaches are trying their best with a bunch of kids. And kids are, well, kids.

-jk

UNC is on Koenig and Britt. Duke has greart connections through Nolan, Kyrie and DCA, but Britt liked the powder blue growing up.
    I saw Britt and Parker in Phoenix yesterday and came away in ahh of Britt's passing ability. He passes as well with his off hand (right) as he does left. This kid needs to be near the top or at the top of our list (I am aware that Q is only two years ahead of him).

Parker played well but wasn't in a situation where he had to take over a game so I'm not sure I got the full effect of how good he is. My buddy who is a UA fan says that Parker is the best player available regardless of class.

Jabari Parker

Wow, the more I read about this guy, the more I like him. Unreal skill level, great size & athleticism, seems like he's got a great head on his shoulders, wet jumper, and he's pretty good looking on top of all that. Sign me up. Go get him Coach K!!!

Jabari Parker Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zx6y0qx9Rc
    Last edited by licc85; 08-04-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Matt Jones

Hey Guys, first I just wanted to say this is my first post here and I hope i have many more to come but back to recruiting. Today I heard that Matt Jones would be visiting Duke from October 14 to October 16 and would go to Midnight Madness with Julius Randle and hopefully Jabari Parker just wanted to tell you guys this.

CBS Sports article

Lessons learned during July

Some nice words in this CBS article about Sulaimon from the class of 2012 and some Duke targets from the class of 2013.

Jeff Goodman said:

. I haven't been as enamored by the top three guys in a class for a long, long time as I am with the trio that tops the Class of 2013: Jabari Parker, Julius Randle and Nerlens Noel. These guys are all frontcourt players, but all bring something different to the table -- yet they share one facet of their games: a motor. All three play hard nearly every possession. Parker is the skilled guy who has the highest upside, Randle is a beast and has some Karl Malone in him while Noel may just be the most dominant shot-blocker I've ever seen at this stage
    Jeff Borzello said:

The pecking order amongst 2012 guards is more muddled than ever. Going into the summer, it seemed like Rodney Purvis and Ricardo Ledo were the two best guards in the country. Now, with the way Archie Goodwin responded after his injury and the way Rasheed Sulaimon played at both ends throughout the summer, a case can be made for any of those four as the best guard in the country
    There are additional rave reviews about Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, and Nerlens Noel.
    The 2013 class looks to be extremely strong.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Lessons learned during July

Some nice words in this CBS article about Sulaimon from the class of 2012 and some Duke targets from the class of 2013.

There are additional rave reviews about Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, and Nerlens Noel.
    The 2013 class looks to be extremely strong.
    Thanks to roywhite for this link. I'm pretty sure he'd agree with me that you really want to read the whole article, not just the couple of great highlights he included. Lots of interesting recruiting info and stories.

Roy is telling you to read this. I recommend that you not cross roywhite. You've hear of Keyser Soze, right? Just a friendly suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by norra5 View Post
    Hey Guys, first I just wanted to say this is my first post here and I hope i have many more to come but back to recruiting. Today I heard that Matt Jones would be visiting Duke from October 14 to October 16 and would go to Midnight Madness with Julius Randle and hopefully Jabari Parker just wanted to tell you guys this.
    Thank you sir, nice to know.
    Haven't heard much about Jones lately. What a coup if we got all three of these guys. Hell, throw Noel in there too, why not. Let's Go Devils!

Bronson Koenig

From Espn's site...

Strengths:
    Bronson is a true combo guard who can play both positions. He's a real good shooter to 22 feet. He's cerebral and smart and has the ability to run a team and make his teammates better. He is a solid ballhandler with good size for the 1 if that ends up being his position. Brings a tremendous amount of versatility.

Weaknesses:
    Koenig definitely needs to be a better perimeter defender. He also needs to improve his on court assertiveness as he tends to drift at times and he lets the game come to him too much. Adding strength is a natural point of emphasis for him.

Bottom Line:
    Bronson is an excellent combo guard prospect who will be highly sought after.

UNC just got a commitment from Hicks, a top 15 PF.

Good for them. That should help us with some of our PF recruits, as we seem to butt heads with the Heels for a good number of prospects.

s.i.

ESPN's updated 2013 rankings include these for Duke's targets (as per Scout):
    Jabari Parker - 1
    Julius Randle - 3
    Nate Britt - 15
    Brannen Greene - 20
    Matt Jones - 21
    Bronson Koenig - 57
    Kris Jenkins - NR

And fwiw, recent Tar Heel signee Hicks is 14