Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Is it too early to talk 2013? A tweet from Reggie Rankin over at ESPN:

@ReggieRankin Just heard Duke is making a move on Jabari Parker. Remember Coach K is from Chicago. Stay Tuned for the latest developments

ESPN has him as the #2 small forward and 6th overall in the class of 2013.

Anybody know any more about Duke's potential interest?

Edit:I am keeping a spreadsheet of the 2013 and 2014 Duke targeted recruits, and per requests from members, I am creating a table in the first post of both threads and will update as things change.
    Duke 2013 Recruiting List As of 5/6/12 (Rankings are from Rivals. I will change to RSCI as soon as they come out with their 2013 Rankings in June)
    Code:
    Position   Name	                  Measurements	Stars	Ovrl Rk	Offer?	Comments
    PG	   Anthony (Cat) Barber	  6'2, 165lbs	5	13		
    PG	   Tyler Ennis	          6'2, 180	5	21		Great passer. Good shooter
    SG	   Matt Jones	          6'4 180lbs	4.3	28	Yes	Verbal Commit!
    SG	   Al Freeman	          6'3, 195lbs	5	25	Yes	13th overall in his class,  #3 SG
    SG	   Robert Hubbs III	  6'6, 180lbs	4	24	Yes	Freak Athlete, Pure Scorer- Per Airowe tweet
    SG	   Daxter Miles	          6'2, 165lbs	3	NR		Combo Guard
    SF	   James Young	          6'6, 200lbs	5	9	Yes	Flying up through the rankings
    SF	   Jabari Parker	  6'7 215lbs	5	1	Yes	#1 Player in his class
    SF	   Ishmail Wainright	  6'5 220lbs	4	32	Yes	Mack Truck
    SF	   Semi Ojeleye	          6'6, 220lbs	4	37		
    SF	   Tyrone Outlaw	  6'6, 190lbs	3	NR		Rising quickly through the ranks
    PF/C	   Austin Nichols	  6'8, 200lbs	4	40	Yes	Great hands, Great length, grew up a Duke fan
    PF/C	   Julius Randle	  6'9, 235lbs	5	3	Yes	Top Power Player in Class, AAU Teammate of Matt Jones
    PF/C	   Marcus Lee	          6'9, 220lbs	4	54	Yes	
    C	   Beejay Anya	          6'8, 255lbs	5	20	Yes	#1 Center in his class, 7'9 Wingspan!
    Last edited by Newton_14; 10-13-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Adding a table with the list of Duke Recruits

Lol wow

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post

@ReggieRankin Just heard Duke is making a move on Jabari Parker. Remember Coach K is from Chicago. Stay Tuned for the latest developments

I say he gets 25 MPG at the 3 position.

But

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I say he gets 25 MPG at the 3 position.
    Don't you think his future is as a 2 in the NBA?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    How did he do on his SRA's?

Can we start a Recruiting 2029 thread in case I have a kid next year? I figure if I hype him up enough, he'll get recruited by all the major programs even though he's a strong Duke lean as a zygote.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Can we start a Recruiting 2029 thread in case I have a kid next year? I figure if I hype him up enough, he'll get recruited by all the major programs even though he's a strong Duke lean as a zygote.
    Once Duke starts recruiting him, he will shoot up the recruiting rankings and Coach Ndiaye at UNC will go after him.

Um, probably not. The difference is that Parker is getting recruited by Duke, whereas your possible child is not. If the Duke coaching staff starts recruiting your possible child, then by all means start a thread on it. Until then, I don't see the need to marginalize the OP with a bunch of needless posts suggesting how absurd it is to share some basic information on the 2013 crop of players simply because others think it is a little too far off to warrant their immediate attention.

With that said, Parker looks like a talented player. I look forward to the possibility of seeing him pilot his flying car around Duke's campus some day.

Is it too early to talk 2013?
    Since Duke's recruiting focus is now on 2012 and beyond, I wouldn't think so.

If it's not too early for Duke to be recruiting him, it's not too early for us to be talking about it.

Agree with the three most recent posts above, and I'm not sure why people are mocking this thread. It doesn't seem too early to me. Conceptually, the 2011 class is locked in, and so we are now focused on the 2012 and 2013 classes. The members of the 2013 class are Sophs in HS, and we've started getting involved with recruits a littler earlier (i.e. their soph year) so this seems timely.

Practically, we've been recruiting Rodney Purvis for several months with the thought of him being a 2013 recruit (he only recently reclassified to 2012) and now are apparently getting involved with others in the class. This seems timely to me, so thanks for starting.
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 11-18-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I'm not sure why people are mocking this thread. It doesn't seem to early to me. Conceptually, the 2011 class is locked in, and so we are now focused on the 2012 and 2013 classes. The 2013 class are Sophs in HS, and we've started getting involved with recruits a littler earlier, so this seems timely.

Practically, we've been recruiting Rodney Purvis for several months with the thought of him being a 2013 recruit (he only recently reclassified to 2012) and now are apparently getting involved with others in the class. This seems timely to me, so thanks for starting.
    I understand that the Duke coaching staff is looking at potential 2013 recruits and there is the potential that someone from that year could even commit (I believe Indiana has a commitment and maybe someone else.) So, yes it is reasonable to post this thread. But, come on, is it not also reasonable to mock the recruitment of 14-15 year-old kids?

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    But, come on, is it not also reasonable to mock the recruitment of 14-15 year-old kids?
    You do whatever you want, but someone please slap me silly the day I start mocking what Coach K and his staff do.

It's not like Duke is sitting down for in home visits with these kids. It's the culture of basketball these days, to establish contact early in a kid's high school career. It's probably not even the first time Duke has contacted/looked at the kid, just the first time that it has been widely reported. Also, the majority of high school sophomores are 16 years old, and Demarcus Nelson committed to Duke at the end of his sophomore year. I know it's an extreme case, but the point is that this has been going on for a while (recruiting sophs) and so I don't see why we're mocking it just now. If we want to talk about how foolish it is to plan for 2013 when we all know of our impending doom in 2012, that's a different story.

And why not continue to stretch the influence of Duke's most recent national championship? With it comes recruiting momentum, and why would Duke not contact any kid who is currently in high school that they are interested in- while the championship is still fresh in their minds?
    Last edited by DukieTiger; 11-18-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: clarification

IIRC Nelson committed in the spring of his sophomore year so discussing 2013 recruits doesn't seem inappropriate.

(DukieTiger beat me to the Nelson comparison)
    Last edited by yancem; 11-18-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    IIRC Nelson committed in the spring of his sophomore year so discussing 2013 recruits doesn't seem inappropriate.
    And we offered Tokoto as a sophmore, right?

Yep. It might have even come the summer BEFORE his sophomore year. We recruited/evaluated the class of 2012 throughout last year, so I don't know why it would be shameful to do the same thing with 2013. I mean, we do need to keep getting guys to come to Duke.

Michael Parker-Williams is the only one we are actively recruiting for that class so far.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Michael Parker-Williams is the only one we are actively recruiting for that class so far.
    22 inches long with a 30 inch wing span... very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I understand that the Duke coaching staff is looking at potential 2013 recruits and there is the potential that someone from that year could even commit (I believe Indiana has a commitment and maybe someone else.) So, yes it is reasonable to post this thread. But, come on, is it not also reasonable to mock the recruitment of 14-15 year-old kids?
    Indiana has commitments from two players in the 2014 class, which, of course, probably means that those recruits are going to start looking at Duke soon. At least that's what Taylor King, Miles Plumlee, Austin Rivers and Mike Kabongo told me.
    Last edited by gam7; 11-18-2010 at 07:42 PM.