Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I suspect Duke will check the waiver wire in the spring for a Justin Knox/Alex Oriakhi analog.
    Thanks Jim! Wow, the importance of the health and development of Marshall and Amile cannot be overstated for 2013. We are going to miss Ryan and Mason in a big, big way... All the more reason to appreciate them this season.

2 PG's
    3 SG's
    3 SF's
    2 undersized PF's (Josh by height and Amile by weight)
    1 center
    Last edited by -jk; 11-05-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: no encouraging illegal behavior

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I haven't heard the staff are looking at any other big guys, but who knows? Last year, I thought Duke wouldn't add a big guy after missing on McGary and Parker, but I am awfully excited to have Amile instead. It would be an interesting team with great overall size, except another big to go along with Marshall. Can I add to your versatile roster and imagine Jabari playing a Grant Hill-point guard role and have 5 6-7/6-8 guys and switch everything? That could be fun.
    The one guy that seems to fit the Amile-mold in terms of early contact but not much more is Beejay Anya. I am not certain we've done much with him, but I do recall his name and Duke being used in the same sentence early on. Probably not much more than that though. I believe with Amile we had set a pretty nice foundation with him early on which is why we were able to swoop in during senior year and sway him to Durham. Beejay is definitely a big body and is apparently down to NCSU, so there would certainly be that fringe benefit of riling up Packpride. That said, it doesn't seem likely and we'll probably go to battle with our currently projected lineup +/- Jabari.

a court full of wings

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    ... Can I add to your versatile roster and imagine Jabari playing a Grant Hill-point guard role and have 5 6-7/6-8 guys and switch everything? That could be fun.
    That does sound like a fun fantasy roster. If Rasheed plays with as much poise as he’s shown in the first two scrimmages, I take this fantasy roster:

Rasheed 6-4 w/ 6-8 wingspan
    Matt Jones 6-5 w/ 6-7 wingspan
    Rodney 6-8
    Alex 6-8
    Amile 6-8 w/ 7-0 wingspan

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I realize that the 2012-2013 season is just days away from starting, but doesn't that roster look like fun?! I think K may have gone a touch overboard in his current recruiting plan, namely, find a bunch of Singlers and Hills and just figure it out.
    One could argue that has been the main strategy for 20+ years. Centers and PGs are just cherries on top.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    One could argue that has been the main strategy for 20+ years. Centers and PGs are just cherries on top.
    One could also argue that the best Duke teams have lots of SFs that can defend and are a nightmare to defend.

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    One could also argue that the best Duke teams have lots of SFs that can defend and are a nightmare to defend.
    And that wings are the most versatile players, so you can play at least three at time, but you really can't play more than one pure center at a times\ and need unusual point guards to be able to play two at once (see Duhon and Williams).

I'm most confident when Duke has a bunch of athletic wings.

I would like another big for next year, however.

Any interest from Duke in the latest recruit to re-classify to the Class of 2013:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...sifies-to-2013
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Any interest from Duke in the latest recruit to re-classify to the Class of 2013:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...sifies-to-2013
    Certainly sounds appealing, but I tend to believe the notion that kids who reclassify already know where they're headed most of the time. We'll see about Dakari.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Certainly sounds appealing, but I tend to believe the notion that kids who reclassify already know where they're headed most of the time. We'll see about Dakari.
    I would be so pumped if our 2013 class ended up including a Dakari, a Jabari and a Semilore.

...And a Matt, of course.

Vonleh to Indiana

Per Evan Daniels... the UNC folks ain't gonna take this one well. Last I heard they were sitting pretty with him.

Per Evan Daniels... the UNC folks ain't gonna take this one well. Last I heard they were sitting pretty with him.

Yep, ESPN confirming it. What is it with Indiana on UNC -- really seems to have their number of late. That's the second 5-star big in as many years that they've seemingly "stollen" from Kerlina. Somebody send coach Crean some champagne!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/re...ooses-hoosiers

Now, Duke is sitting pretty with Vonleah. GTHC.

Are there any bigs still out there we're going after? Remember we jumped back in with Amile late last year.

Gavin Schilling

Multiple folks (including Gavin himself) indicating that Duke is expressing interest. He's a '13 big man who's not a household name, but it sounds like he's capable, and perhaps a late bloomer type. He's at Findlay this year and may blossom in that environment.

Anyone with insights on this young man? A little footage LINK

Am missing something...

It looks like UNC has 14 scholarship players for next year...

Srs. : Bullock, McDonald
    Jrs : Hairston, Davis, McAdoo, Hubert, Simmons
    So : Paige, Tokoto, James, Johnson
    Fr : Britt, Hicks, Meeks

Aren't you only allowed 13 scholarships?

first they can't read or write...now they can't count!!!! what's next??

Both Jackson Simmons and Luke Davis are walk-ons (but perhaps are given scholarships when they are available).

I believe Jackson Simmons is on an academic or other, non-athletic, scholarship. They've done that before, giving the "Morehead scholar" designation to a basketball player or two, thus saving an athletic scholarship for someone who didn't fit the mold of the scholar.

Edit: Simmons was a walk-on originally, but offered a scholarship for 2011-2012. Want to bet his athletic scholarship was withdrawn in 2012-2013?
    Last edited by Merlindevildog91; 11-19-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Further review...

Putting aside whether Simmons is a walk-on or not, my guess is they figure it's at least 50/50 that McAdoo won't need his scholarship while he's playing in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Putting aside whether Simmons is a walk-on or not, my guess is they figure it's at least 50/50 that McAdoo won't need his scholarship while he's playing in the NBA.
    That would be nice of them though.

As far as Duke going forward, I think they'll look at a JuCo or Graduate student to fill the C position for a year or two. Marshall will obviously be relied upon heavily so getting him healthy and seeing what he provides will be huge but after him, Duke doesn't even have a Kelly to put in at C. It'd be severely undersized Hairston or Amile. And the left over big men in this class aren't as highly recruited as someone like Tony Parker and even he isn't playing at UCLA so they'll need an experienced big man for at least 10-15 minutes a game.

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    first they can't read or write...now they can't count!!!! what's next??
    Get a tutor!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.