Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Adding James Young to the list of potentials for 2013, the list, compiled from posts and tweets of others -- meaning it's likely incomplete -- looks like this:

PF's:
    Julius Randle, 6'9" 225 out of Texas. Superstar, plays on same AAU team with Matt Jones, which can't be a bad thing.
    Austin Nichols, 6'8" 200 out of Tennessee. Both sides appear very interested.
    Marcus Lee, 6'9" 220, California

SF's:
    Jabari Parker 6'8" 220, Chicago. Superstar.
    Andrew Wiggins 6'7" 200 out of Canada, possible to reclassify from 2014. Everyone wants him.
    Ish Wainwright 6'5" 220 out of Missouri. We're really pushing on him, and the positive vibes appear to be mutual.
    Semi Ojeleye 6'6" 220 out of Kansas
    Tyrone Outlaw, 6'6", 190, North Carolina
    James Young, 6'5", 200 out of Michigan. Blew up recently. Already stated he likes Michigan State, but Duke and Kentucky are his "dream schools." However, also says Kentucky is his leader at this point.

Centers:
    BeeJay Anya 6'8" 265 out of DeMatha. Haven't heard anything about him lately though. Are we actually recruiting him?

PG:
    Cat Barber 6'2" 165 out of Hampton
    Tyler Ennis 6'2" 180, Canada

SG:
    Allerik Freeman 6'3" 195, local kid from North Carolina. We're hot on his trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Thanks so much for keeping these lists updated. I wonder if there is a way to keep some sort of a ticker at the top of the board, although I imagine not.

Curious about Anya. I'm not certain we're formally recruiting him, although I would love it if we were. Does anyone know for certain what our status is with him?
    Ok guys, I took Tommy's list, pulled some data for each recruit and pasted into a table in the first post of this thread. Please check to let me know if I missed anyone or captured any data incorrectly and I will make the updates. If everyone likes this, I will do the same for 2014, and with each update to the list, I will edit the title of the thread to "Updated On "today's date" to alert everyone that something has been added or changed.

Take a look and let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Ok guys, I took Tommy's list, pulled some data for each recruit and pasted into a table in the first post of this thread. Please check to let me know if I missed anyone or captured any data incorrectly and I will make the updates. If everyone likes this, I will do the same for 2014, and with each update to the list, I will edit the title of the thread to "Updated On "today's date" to alert everyone that something has been added or changed.

Take a look and let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
    This is great! Thanks for putting that together. I think it's a great idea and will keep us all up to date. My only suggestion is to add a few additional columns:

parents favor Duke? (y/n)
    worried about Duke's development of big men (y/n)
    time from Duke's offer until Roy followed suit with an offer (total minutes)
    is "honored to be recruited by Coach K, the greatest of all time" (y/n)
    transferred during high school (y/n) and
    sneaker company affiliations

Seriously, though, thanks for putting the list up.
    Last edited by dukedoc; 04-30-2012 at 10:15 PM.

This is great! Thanks for putting that together. I think it's a great idea and will keep us all up to date. My only suggestion is to add a few additional columns:

Thanks!
    Ha. Thanks. I think I can work most of that into the comments but I get you! Roy offered the Nichols kid over the weekend. Surprise Surprise...

Thanks so much for putting that together. Couple suggestions. First, I think Ish Wainwright is up to 220 or maybe even 225 pounds from what I've read. Second, more importantly, what about adding a column that indicates each player's ranking within his class? Could use Scout, Rivals, or ESPN, or even better, RSCI. Might want to consider whether you indicate each kid's overall ranking or ranking at his position.

Finally, the spreadsheet doesn't work very well on the I-phone. Not sure if that's a limitation of the format or whether there are any formatting adjustments you could make, but it's almost impossible to read it on the phone because the columns can't be read across in one line -- they go onto a second line and that ruins the clean look of the table, which looks great on the desktop by the way.

Thanks again for doing this.

Thanks so much for putting that together. Couple suggestions. First, I think Ish Wainwright is up to 220 or maybe even 225 pounds from what I've read. Second, more importantly, what about adding a column that indicates each player's ranking within his class? Could use Scout, Rivals, or ESPN, or even better, RSCI. Might want to consider whether you indicate each kid's overall ranking or ranking at his position.

Finally, the spreadsheet doesn't work very well on the I-phone. Not sure if that's a limitation of the format or whether there are any formatting adjustments you could make, but it's almost impossible to read it on the phone because the columns can't be read across in one line -- they go onto a second line and that ruins the clean look of the table, which looks great on the desktop by the way.

Thanks. Keep the feedback and updates coming and I will keep it updated. I wanted to use the table feature but you have to paste one cell at a time. painful. I may do a test on that though to see if it helps with the mobile view. I will add a ranking column and use RSCI.

Per twitter several more offers went out so I have work to do to get the new names in. Look for another update tomorrow. Just keep posting any new updates into the thread and I will get them added to the table.

Thanks!

Odd... it looks perfectly fine on Android

Great table! That will save me tons of time reading through the forums and save me from being accused of 'having a problem' with looking at recruiting updates too much. Haha. Thanks!

Robert Hubbs III Offered

Robert Hubbs just offered. 6'4" SG (although I've also seen 6'6" reported). Teammate of Austin Nichols. Ranked 79th according to scout and 24th according to rivals. Not sure why the huge difference. Not in the ESPN top 60; ranked 31st best SG by ESPN. He has offers already from quite a large list of schools, including Vandy, Florida, Memphis, and TN.

http://twitter.com/#!/BlueDevilNation
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...all-town-hero/

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Ha. Thanks. I think I can work most of that into the comments but I get you! Roy offered the Nichols kid over the weekend. Surprise Surprise...
    Sorry I forgot one other suggestion: venn diagrams in which the overlaps will indicate any "package deals" that have been rumored on twitter or during all star games. Thanks!

Seriously, though, thanks for putting the list up.
    I know that your post was made in jest but I really would be interested in knowing how long it takes Ol'Roy to offer players that already have offers from Duke. My guess is the time is about a week on average.

Beejay Anya?

Your new list shows Beejay Anya with an offer from Duke. I know there has been interest, but has he been offered? The Yahoo site says yes, but neither ESPN nor Scout even lists Duke among his teams. A March 2012 Washington Post article on his recruitment didn't list Duke among the schools that had offered him.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Your new list shows Beejay Anya with an offer from Duke. I know there has been interest, but has he been offered? The Yahoo site says yes, but neither ESPN nor Scout even lists Duke among his teams. A March 2012 Washington Post article on his recruitment didn't list Duke among the schools that had offered him.
    Oh the fun we would have had in the days of old if an opposing player named BeeJay were to visit ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Oh the fun we would have had in the days of old if an opposing player named BeeJay were to visit ...
    Reminds me of a company sales meeting I attended early on in my career. A lady from HR popped in to let us know about a new company perk which was a membership card to BJ's warehouse for only $10. I think she said something like so if you're interested in BJ's you will need to sign up and bring a check or cash by my office...Well of course men will be boys and the snickering started immediatley followed by 1 upsmanship comments like "so for for BJ's I just need to sign up and pay $10? I had no idea. I've been going about this wrong for years" and "God bless America - I bet they don't have $10 BJ signups in Iraq" The company president who would normally have put an end to such Hijinks was buckled over crying he was laughing so hard and the poor HR lady became completely flustered and had no idea what everyone was breaking up over. I did feel sorry for her but it still makes me smile to think about that meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Reminds me of a company sales meeting I attended early on in my career. A lady from HR popped in to let us know about a new company perk which was a membership card to BJ's warehouse for only $10. I think she said something like so if you're interested in BJ's you will need to sign up and bring a check or cash by my office...Well of course men will be boys and the snickering started immediatley followed by 1 upsmanship comments like "so for for BJ's I just need to sign up and pay $10? I had no idea. I've been going about this wrong for years" and "God bless America - I bet they don't have $10 BJ signups in Iraq" The company president who would normally have put an end to such Hijinks was buckled over crying he was laughing so hard and the poor HR lady became completely flustered and had no idea what everyone was breaking up over. I did feel sorry for her but it still makes me smile to think about that meeting.
    (snort*cough) can't really reply, still laughing.

If you're going to do a google search for BJ's warehouse, be really really careful. I also had a similar problem looking for Dick's Sporting Goods.

Ok, time to get back on topic before this thread completely derails. We're still a family site.

Thanks,

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    It sounds like athletically, he might be on the same level as Shane; but has a more versatile offensive skill set. Regardless, I'd love for Duke to get Jabari. And as far as talent level is concerned, doesn't say alot about how good Jabari is when Nerlens who was ranked behind Parker at No. 2 in the class of 2013 moved into the No. 1 spot in the class of 2012?
    I have seen Jabari play twice, and would peg him between Shane and Grant in terms of athleticism, probably a little closer to the latter. Like Grant, Jabari's skill level and fluidity often mask his raw athletic ability / explosiveness. I am not sure he is quite in Grant's class in any of those respects, but Parker does seem considerably more advanced than Shane was at the same stage, especially offensively. It is worth noting that Shane notably improved his athleticism at Duke, largely through tremendous conditioning, especially plyometrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Robert Hubbs just offered. 6'4" SG (although I've also seen 6'6" reported). Teammate of Austin Nichols. Ranked 79th according to scout and 24th according to rivals. Not sure why the huge difference. Not in the ESPN top 60; ranked 31st best SG by ESPN. He has offers already from quite a large list of schools, including Vandy, Florida, Memphis, and TN.

http://twitter.com/#!/BlueDevilNation
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...all-town-hero/
    Thanks Bluedog. Interesting. I count TEN (!) offers outstanding at this point, including Hubbs and AJ. That has to be some sort of record for K and staff, who've traditionally been more "surgical" in their recruiting. I, myself, am really glad to see it. Having several near-misses in the past year may be part of it, and no doubt that we'll need a big class in 2013, but the Olympics have to be the main driver for this summer. I do hope having K and his staff on the road doing Olympic prep work and at the games won't hurt us in terms of face-time with key recruits. But Gold Medals can be persuasive too...

I do wonder if we'll revert to a narrower recruiting form next year. Any thoughts, given the number of offers outstanding, what happens with a similar-skilled/sized kid if another accepts first? I know that these things largely take care of themselves, but given that we have, for example, four offers outstanding to kids in the 6'3" - 6'5" range (true, they don't all have exactly the same set of skills), do we eventually retract some offers as similar kids start to commit?? That's a somewhat new problem do deal with (but not all bad either!).

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Thanks Bluedog. Interesting. I count TEN (!) offers outstanding at this point, including Hubbs and AJ. That has to be some sort of record for K and staff, who've traditionally been more "surgical" in their recruiting. I, myself, am really glad to see it. Having several near-misses in the past year may be part of it, and no doubt that we'll need a big class in 2013, but the Olympics have to be the main driver for this summer. I do hope having K and his staff on the road doing Olympic prep work and at the games won't hurt us in terms of face-time with key recruits. But Gold Medals can be persuasive too...

I do wonder if we'll revert to a narrower recruiting form next year. Any thoughts, given the number of offers outstanding, what happens with a similar-skilled/sized kid if another accepts first? I know that these things largely take care of themselves, but given that we have, for example, four offers outstanding to kids in the 6'3" - 6'5" range (true, they don't all have exactly the same set of skills), do we eventually retract some offers as similar kids start to commit?? That's a somewhat new problem do deal with (but not all bad either!).
    Not all offers are created equal (this is something Airowe once discussed on a recruiting thread a while back). Offers may have been extended, but these kids and the coaching staff generally know where they stand with one another. If a kid has received an offer, but has not heard from the coaching staff in a month, then it is pretty clear that there are higher priorities for the staff. These things work out, not because they just do, but rather because there is usually pretty good communication, or lack thereof, behind the scenes. I would imagine that this is how schools like Arizona can extend 24 offers for 3 more openings in the class (as they have according to verbalcommits.com) and it ends up working out just fine.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Jabari Parker front page article

Anybody else read the Parker article on the front page today and gag a little at the following line:

"Parker is a target of the nation's top programs, including famed one-and-done (star players that play one year before declaring for the NBA) programs Duke and Kentucky."

Roy has offered #2 ranked 6'9" 270lbs center Kennedy Meeks.

He's supposedly been waiting for UNC to offer. We'll see...