Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

nichols on campus

Not to change the subject from Kentucky recruiting, but Austin Nichols is on Duke's campus as I type this.

His visit is pretty crucial, especially with Randle out of the picure -- K already has two great wings lined up for this year's class (and with Hood and Dawkins returning, we'll actually add four very different wing talents), but as of now, the only real post players on the roster for next year are Marshall Plumlee and the undersized Josh Hairston -- although Alex Murphy (a natural wing) and Amile Jefferson (a post player in a wing body) could play the four in a pinch.

Nichols is a versatile 6-10 post player, who is -- as of this moment -- the only big man in Duke sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Not to change the subject from Kentucky recruiting, but Austin Nichols is on Duke's campus as I type this.

His visit is pretty crucial, especially with Randle out of the picure -- K already has two great wings lined up for this year's class (and with Hood and Dawkins returning, we'll actually add four very different wing talents), but as of now, the only real post players on the roster for next year are Marshall Plumlee and the undersized Josh Hairston -- although Alex Murphy (a natural wing) and Amile Jefferson (a post player in a wing body) could play the four in a pinch.

Nichols is a versatile 6-10 post player, who is -- as of this moment -- the only big man in Duke sights.
    I think Jefferson will develop into a very good PF for us, but agree we badly, badly need another big man (or two). And Nichols appears to be about it on the current radar screen.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 10-07-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: redacted inappropriate comment

James young, who Duke showed interest in awhile back, is announcing today. Top 10 or 15 kid. I'd just about bet my house it'll be . . . Kentucky!

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    James young, who Duke showed interest in awhile back, is announcing today. Top 10 or 15 kid. I'd just about bet my house it'll be . . . Kentucky!
    Yeah that's the word on the street but who knows. If Young sings that would be 3 of the Top 5 (according to ESPN) thus far for the next class plus they are still heavily in the Randle sweepstakes and if Wiggins reclassifies and signs with Kentucky as well that class would certainly rival the infamous Fab 5 in terms of a single recruiting class.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I have learned never to bet against Cal, but it seems like adding Young would result in a fairly crowded backcourt. Both Harrison's have committed and UK could be returning Harrow and/or Goodwin (neither of which is a lock to declare for the 2013 NBA draft). Given the short timeframe that has elapsed since the Harrison announcement, I am expecting a non-UK commitment.

random question

how many players do you think are legitimately capable of earning a duke basketball scholarship each year?
    how many make the basketball cut? we don't typically give scholly's to players outside the top 40 (yes it does happen, but the exception not the rule), so that's about where I'd start.
    of that 40, does anybody have a sense for how many are legitimate prospects after the academics cut and the character cut?
    are we fishing out of a pool of 5-10 guys each year that k would be happy with? that would make our hit rate pretty darn impressive; surely a few of those prospects are beyond our reach because of reasons outside of k's control (geography, preferred roles, etc.) and they are all highly sought.

now that i think about it, the 40 is probably too high - i would guess k and co. like the guys ranked in the 30s better than the recruiting services.

I get to keep my house. James Young has committed to Kentucky.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Folks, please stay on topic, which is about Duke recruitng for 2014.

Thanks

Marcus Lee commits

Former Duke target Marcus Lee, 6'9" out of California, has committed to . . . Kentucky. Actually I think this is a good thing. I never saw what was so great about Lee. He's very skinny and is very raw offensively. Has the potential to be pretty good defensively especially as a shot blocker, but I think I wrote in another thread that he reminds me of Casey Sanders. Good that UK is using a scholarship on him, and we'll see what it means in terms of Julius Randle.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Folks, please stay on topic, which is about Duke recruitng for 2014.
    That's not what the thread's title says...

Good that UK is using a scholarship on him, and we'll see what it means in terms of Julius Randle.
    See above... what's Randle got to do with Duke recruiting at this point?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    That's not what the thread's title says...

Everybody's a comedian. 2013

that work better for you?

I would like to add this kid to my Christmas wish list for 2013. Does Duke have any interest?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...103719450.html

Looks like Andrew Wiggins re-classified as expected and will be a 2013 recruit.

I know he's mentioned Duke in his top 5. Any reality to that?

Or is he a foregone conclusion to go to Kentucky?

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Looks like Andrew Wiggins re-classified as expected and will be a 2013 recruit.

I know he's mentioned Duke in his top 5. Any reality to that?

Or is he a foregone conclusion to go to Kentucky?
    Looks like a two team race between UK and FSU...smart money is with UK

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    Oh well. Here's to hoping he took some impermissible benefits!

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    I hear he hasn't actually cashed the check yet - well, deposited the cash from the envelope

So with Austin out...does that finalize our 2013 roster with Parker the only question? I am hoping I am missing a recruited big guy (other that Todd Z)

Marshall 6-11
    Amile 6-8
    Josh 6-7
    Alex 6-8
    Rodney 6-8
    Semi 6-6
    Andre 6-4
    Rasheed 6-4
    Matt 6-4
    Quinn 6-1
    Tyler 6-1

Versatile roster! But who plays center when Marshall is sitting ... or worse is injured... We could play a point guard and 4 6-7/6-8 guys and switch everything I suppose. We would be fast!
    Last edited by Bluealum; 11-05-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Remove irrelevant quote from reply

Quote Originally Posted by Bluealum View Post
    So with Austin out...does that finalize our 2013 roster with Parker the only question? I am hoping I am missing a recruited big guy (other that Todd Z)

Marshall 6-11
    Amile 6-8
    Josh 6-7
    Alex 6-8
    Rodney 6-8
    Semi 6-6
    Andre 6-4
    Rasheed 6-4
    Matt 6-4
    Quinn 6-1
    Tyler 6-1

Versatile roster! But who plays center when Marshall is sitting ... or worse is injured... We could play a point guard and 4 6-7/6-8 guys and switch everything I suppose. We would be fast!
    I haven't heard the staff are looking at any other big guys, but who knows? Last year, I thought Duke wouldn't add a big guy after missing on McGary and Parker, but I am awfully excited to have Amile instead. It would be an interesting team with great overall size, except another big to go along with Marshall. Can I add to your versatile roster and imagine Jabari playing a Grant Hill-point guard role and have 5 6-7/6-8 guys and switch everything? That could be fun.

Marshall 6-11
    Amile 6-8
    Josh 6-7
    Alex 6-8
    Rodney 6-8
    Semi 6-6
    Andre 6-4
    Rasheed 6-4
    Matt 6-4
    Quinn 6-1
    Tyler 6-1

I suspect Duke will check the waiver wire in the spring for a Justin Knox/Alex Oriakhi analog.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Marshall 6-11
    Amile 6-8
    Josh 6-7
    Alex 6-8
    Rodney 6-8
    Semi 6-6
    Andre 6-4
    Rasheed 6-4
    Matt 6-4
    Quinn 6-1
    Tyler 6-1

I realize that the 2012-2013 season is just days away from starting, but doesn't that roster look like fun?! I think K may have gone a touch overboard in his current recruiting plan, namely, find a bunch of Singlers and Hills and just figure it out.