Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post
    Why do people even go to Duke any more?
    To paraphrase a student, "For the basketball."

I don't recall where I first read about this, but it was at least a month ago, maybe 2. But I recall that the circle road around the ticket office at Cameron will be closed off, and a new central ticketing / main concourse area will be constructed that will join the two stadiums. I believe that is where the new store will be located, so that it will be convenient for both stadiums.

There are comparison plans now for WW regarding the stadium, as well as the press box / suites / etc... replacing the current press box. I actually have a pdf of that, but don't remember where I got it (maybe from a previous DBR topic?).

FWIW, I do have to say that they finally have made some positive traffic changes for FB games, but a new parking deck is sorely needed.

$100 million athletics campagin

I'm not sure if we've seen a definitive statement about removal of the track in Wallace Wade before, but it looks like that's the official plan. Duke has announced a $100 million campaign for athletics, with the two main areas a renovation and expansion (adding 10,000 more seats) of Wallace Wade and renovating Cameron. I don't see a timeline mentioned in The Chronicle article from today.

Duke Athletics is embarking on an effort to raise $100 million to expand Wallace Wade and renovate Cameron Indoor Stadium...The changes include relocating the running track, lowering the field by five feet and closing the south end of the stadium to create a bowl.
    http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...ades-additions

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I'm not sure if we've seen a definitive statement about removal of the track in Wallace Wade before, but it looks like that's the official plan. Duke has announced a $100 million campaign for athletics, with the two main areas a renovation and expansion (adding 10,000 more seats) of Wallace Wade and renovating Cameron. I don't see a timeline mentioned in The Chronicle article from today.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...ades-additions
    I had the opportunity of speaking with Coach Cut last semester. Some of you may have noticed the construction occurring out next to the football practice field. That is the new 100 yd indoor practice facility which is to be completed by the fall. It will be completely open to students except when the football team has practice and should be a phenomenal addition to both our athletic and recreation facilities.

The plan is to remove the track and has been since at least the fall. A new ("beautiful") track facility will be built where the practice fields currently are at the corner of basset drive and science drive. My understanding, and I do not know if this is still the case, is that the lobby on the south side of cameron will be expanded, which will eliminate the circle at the end of basset drive, and effectively connect the yoh building, cameron and WW. I don't know much about those plans though. As long as they don't touch the court, we're great (though if the plans involved new bleachers, coach K would love that...he's been calling for years to have the arena redone to a more uniform and traditional state)

As for timeline, again according to coach C, the timeline for completion is 5-6 years. His wording was that he won't be around forever and wants to reap the benefits of what he's sown.

If the plans for WW look anything like what they were a couple of years ago, I think the stadium will be phenomenal. I only wish I had the finances to help the campaign
    1200. DDMF.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Heck, I'm still lamenting the loss of the Dope Shop and the feeling of wet bell bottom pant hems dragging through the waterfall at the bottom of the union stairs on a rainy day.
    And the root beer milkshakes.
    The real "sigh" is that the vast majority of folks on this board have no idea what we're talking about re West Campus Dope Shop, etc. That old "Student Union" space - about 5% of the current Bryan Center size - had a real 1950's feel to it. With wedged in shops in the Basement (I don't know the building name, but think of 'basement under the current CI'). With a small post office, small bank, small barber shop, small gee-dunk shop, old-style milk shake/soda fountain, etc, etc - all wedged into a very tight space -- I think it all went away circa 1982. Sigh. Now I feel old! (But all change certainly isn't bad... and I suspect bringing stores into the CIS lobbies - as long as they are respectful of the feel of the place - will probably help raise a lot more revenue.)

Back circa 1980 Wally Wade did have a capacity over 40K I believe. The "structure" was the same, but they had large "temporary" bleachers sitting around much of the top rim. Anything that gets the seats closer to the field, and improves the restrooms situation, is a good thing and certainly cannot hurt attendance and recruiting.

Didnt they add extra concessions also this year at Cameron
    Last edited by DevilWearsPrada; 02-07-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Back to the future?

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    The real "sigh" is that the vast majority of folks on this board have no idea what we're talking about re West Campus Dope Shop, etc. That old "Student Union" space - about 5% of the current Bryan Center size - had a real 1950's feel to it. With wedged in shops in the Basement (I don't know the building name, but think of 'basement under the current CI'). With a small post office, small bank, small barber shop, small gee-dunk shop, old-style milk shake/soda fountain, etc, etc - all wedged into a very tight space -- I think it all went away circa 1982. Sigh. Now I feel old! (But all change certainly isn't bad... and I suspect bringing stores into the CIS lobbies - as long as they are respectful of the feel of the place - will probably help raise a lot more revenue.)

Back circa 1980 Wally Wade did have a capacity over 40K I believe. The "structure" was the same, but they had large "temporary" bleachers sitting around much of the top rim. Anything that gets the seats closer to the field, and improves the restrooms situation, is a good thing and certainly cannot hurt attendance and recruiting.

I attended games at Duke Stadium (when Wallace Wade was actually coaching there!) in the '40's and '50's-when dinosaurs roamed the earth-and the seating capacity (for example, for the Rose Bowl, UNC games, etc.) was in the high 40's. There were bleachers all around the top rim, inside the bottom rim, and in the end zone. You can see this in the old photos of the Rose Bowl and of a Carolina game or two.

Having as a student had many a game of kick-goal on that old, historic sod-and having seen the rose bushes planted in the end zone area-I'll miss it when the field is lowered, but it has remained one of the prettiest college stadium settings in the country, although frankly the original Kenan Stadium-when you could see the Bell Tower and pine trees above the rim-was probably the prettiest facility in the country at that time.

"Dear old Duke thy name we sing..."--forgive the reminiscing of an old grad who still misses the '50's campus!

Quote Originally Posted by PaIronDuke View Post
    I attended games at Duke Stadium (when Wallace Wade was actually coaching there!) in the '40's and '50's-when dinosaurs roamed the earth-and the seating capacity (for example, for the Rose Bowl, UNC games, etc.) was in the high 40's. There were bleachers all around the top rim, inside the bottom rim, and in the end zone. You can see this in the old photos of the Rose Bowl and of a Carolina game or two.

Having as a student had many a game of kick-goal on that old, historic sod-and having seen the rose bushes planted in the end zone area-I'll miss it when the field is lowered, but it has remained one of the prettiest college stadium settings in the country, although frankly the original Kenan Stadium-when you could see the Bell Tower and pine trees above the rim-was probably the prettiest facility in the country at that time.

"Dear old Duke thy name we sing..."--forgive the reminiscing of an old grad who still misses the '50's campus!
    +

I can relate. I, too, miss the old traffic patterns, old parking places and more intimate nature of the whole campus. That said, what we have now is, unquestionably, a better University and I am most proud of that.