Coaching Hotseats, 2010-11 Edition

Might as well start with Paul Hewitt, who Tech fans hoped would take the St. John's job last year. Way to start early, losing 80-63 to Kennesaw State in a game that wasn't even that close:

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sp...ia_tech_sports

Hewitt could start 0 and 10 and I could see him hanging on to his job by somehow winning the ACC tourney and making the Sweet 16. If he has 9 coaching lives, he's used 3-4 of them to hang on down there. But he cannot seem to get the program to sustain any level of success for more than a year or two.

Hewitt was a genius to sign the contract extension knowing fully well that next year (ie this year) was going to be a disaster. Now GT will have to pay him a £$%@-load to get rid of him.

I actually like Hewitt a lot. I think he's a great recruiter and seems like a really nice person. Just my two cents.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Hewitt could start 0 and 10 and I could see him hanging on to his job by somehow winning the ACC tourney and making the Sweet 16. If he has 9 coaching lives, he's used 3-4 of them to hang on down there. But he cannot seem to get the program to sustain any level of success for more than a year or two.
    It's too bad, too. He's got a strong recruiting pipeline (and that is how he's held onto his job) to go along with the magical run to the title game in 2004 (in which he was horrendously outcoached by Calhoun). It is just amazing to me how ill-prepared his team is for most of its games . . . especially any game on the road. Early entries have really hurt him. I think Lawal staying for his senior year was the closest he's gotten to having a player on the fence about the NBA actually stay for another year. Those players that have stuck around have exhibited little leadership outside of BJ Elder. To me, this is his greatest problem. He has had serious trouble turning his upperclassmen into leaders for the team. Each version of his teams seems completely devoid of leadership on the court, regardless of the individual talent level.

Mark Bradley of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has soured on Hewitt for years. Although his issues with Hewitt did not stop Bradley from predicting Tech would go further than Duke in the 2010 NCAAs, Bradley blasts away in today's AJC

The Wizard of Techwood dazzles us again

If Paul Hewitt isn’t the worst basketball coach in the country, it’s only because ours is a mighty big country. And now, having said that, I ask: At this late date, who needs convincing?

There are no real Hewitt defenders. There are a few excuse-makers, but nobody seriously believes this is a first-tier coach anymore

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-bl...us-again/?cp=2

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    Mark Bradley of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has soured on Hewitt for years. Although his issues with Hewitt did not stop Bradley from predicting Tech would go further than Duke in the 2010 NCAAs, Bradley blasts away in today's AJC

The Wizard of Techwood dazzles us again

If Paul Hewitt isn’t the worst basketball coach in the country, it’s only because ours is a mighty big country. And now, having said that, I ask: At this late date, who needs convincing?

There are no real Hewitt defenders. There are a few excuse-makers, but nobody seriously believes this is a first-tier coach anymore

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-bl...us-again/?cp=2
    Looks like Bradley's already in mid-season form!!