Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Marquette pre-game and in-game thread

I know its still a few days until the CBE but I was wondering what your thoughts are on the match up with Marquette. I am a life long Duke fan but I am a Marquette student so of course I'm heading down to KC. I think the keys to the game are the Singler vs Butler match up, and whether or not Marquette contain the 3 pt attack of Duke. Vander Blue prides himself on his defense so I expect him to be on Smith. Irving should have his way with any pg MU throws at him. Anyway just thought I'd get the discussion going.

It'll be an interesting matchup to say the least but if the Plumlee's are ever going to blow up in a big game, this is it.

Quote Originally Posted by amazinballer323 View Post
    It'll be an interesting matchup to say the least but if the Plumlee's are ever going to blow up in a big game, this is it.
    Pardon my lack of research, but why? Do they lack inside size?
    Mason had a really solid game vs undersized Miami but Miles struggled (despite being hard-core as evidenced by a badly misshapen finger). I'd love to see the MPs go for like 25 pts and 20 rebs, which I think they have it in them to do that, but Miles will have to find a gear he hasn't found so far this year.

This thread should have been started tomorrow. Colgate is tonight and there should not be any looking ahead. That said I wish that the elder Plumlee's head wasn't "Miles" away from his task at hand when he steps on the court lately. If he starts playing like we all think he is capable of we might not lose a game.

I take it one game at a time so Colgate is my prome focus. I am looking for the break through with the Brothers Plumlee. If have got to stop throwing things & yelling everytime Miles or Mason dribble the ball in the paint. I've taught my sons kitten how to "whoosh" on free throws. She still doesn't quite grasp the concept of the "see you" cheer but she is only 12 weeks old.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Our next opponent is Colgate

Marquette lacked size badly last year. This year they have a couple players who can guard the post. Chris Otule, who is not an offensive threat but is a big body and a blocking presence but will see limited minutes. Jae Crowder, Juco player of the year, is a very physical player and I would expect him to be on Miles. Davante Gardner, a freshman, has a pretty refined offensive game but needs more conditioning and can't play more than 15-20 min. I can definitely see Mason going off in this game. however I think it will be a fast paced game

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    That said I wish that the elder Plumlee's head wasn't "Miles" away from his task at hand when he steps on the court lately.
    I continue to be amazed about the number of negative comments being posted about Miles Plumlee. Yes, I acknowledge he hasn't set the World on fire the first two games; however, his defensive positioning and rotations in the low post look good. While Miles isn't stuffing the stat sheet (2.5 ppg/2.5 rpg), he is playing solid low post defense, which is exactly what this team needs from him.

I'm not calling out Devilsfan here, just using the quoted post as a segue to my point. There seems to be a lot of posters who are down on Miles early in the season. C'mon folks, let's give him a chance.
    Bob Green

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Time to bump this up to the top. Now that the cupcakes are finished, Duke enters a pretty intense period in the schedule from Monday through the December 4 game against Gonzaga.

Marquette is currently ranked 30 by Ken Pomeroy. Looking forward to watching how Duke performs, particularly the bigs, against its first serious competition.

Marquette isn't a tall team, but they've got some girth, and they too have been taking care of business (3-0) against lesser early opponents. They trailed most of their last game against Bucknell, but won going away.

They have several 6-7 guys, one who's 6-8, 290, and one who's listed at 6-11, 260. That guy -- Chris Otule -- has a history of foot injuries and hasn't been playing that many minutes per game. It'll be a good test for our bigs though to see how they handle a team that likes to go inside and does it reasonably well.

They've got a couple good guards, including the freshman Vander Blue, who was Rivals #24 recruit last year. They spread the scoring around, with five guys averaging in double figures. Like us, they like to press, force turnovers, then run.

One guy to keep an eye on is freshman Davante Gardner, the player listed at 6-8, 290, but listed elsewhere at 6-9, 305. The guy is huge, though he was only a 3-star recruit. They call him "Fridge" or "Ox". He's averaging only 12 minutes, but 13 ppg. I suspect there are conditioning issues there that make him a defensive liability against a running opponent. But somebody's going to have to guard Marquette's bigs down low.

Without fouling out.
    Last edited by CEF1959; 11-20-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Talking The Super Jumbo Hypothesis

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    One of those is freshman Devante Gardner, the player listed at 6-8, 290, but listed elsewhere at 6-9, 305. The guy is huge...
    Pardon my cynicism, but when I see I guy listed in a sport where 305 is way too heavy (unless you're Shaq), I mentally think he weighs 350 and 305 is his goal. By the way, the same reasoning applies to Skinny Minnies. Does anyone really believe that Tim Lincecum is 5-11, 170. How about 155?

sagegrouse
    '305 as a listed weight in football is different'

Marquette Web Site

Marquette isn't a tall team, but they've got some girth, and they too have been taking care of business (3-0) against lesser early opponents. They trailed most of their last game against Bucknell, but won going away.

They have several 6-7 guys, one who's 6-8, 290, and one who's listed at 6-11, 260. That guy -- Chris Otule -- has a history of foot injuries and hasn't been playing that many minutes per game. It'll be a good test for our bigs though to see how they handle a team that likes to go inside and does it reasonably well.

They've got a couple good guards, including the freshman Vander Blue, who was Rivals #24 recruit last year. They spread the scoring around, with five guys averaging in double figures. Like us, they like to press, force turnovers, then run.

One guy to keep an eye on is freshman Davante Gardner, the player listed at 6-8, 290, but listed elsewhere at 6-9, 305. The guy is huge, though he was only a 3-star recruit. They call him "Fridge" or "Ox". He's averaging only 12 minutes, but 13 ppg. I suspect there are conditioning issues there that make him a defensive liability against a running opponent. But somebody's going to have to guard Marquette's bigs down low.

Without fouling out.
    In addition to what you state, I noticed Marquette has three guys who have been very accurate from the 3 point line to date. They probably weren't getting as much pressure as we will apply, but if our defense slacks off, these guys can score. As you say, there isn't a lot of height on the team, so we should have the advantage there, and it is on a neutral site, but I'll bet a lot of fans will be rooting against Duke as Kansas State may come through to play the winner.

I expect a hgihly contested game where we will need to play well for 40 minutes to take this one to the bank. The main hope is that the Plumlees can stay in the game longer than against Colgate. Cut down on the cheap fouls guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Time to bump this up to the top. Now that the cupcakes are finished, Duke enters a pretty intense period in the schedule from Monday through the December 4 game against Gonzaga.
    You freaked me out there for a second. I thought I had been oblivious to one of Duk'e challenging non-conference games. But whew, you meant Butler.

I watched (a later) part of the Marquette-Green Bay game and the announcers seemed to be singularly-focused on Gardner. I was not especially impressed by his game. He seemed to be forcing his offense and not incredibly interested in looking for teammates after he got the ball in the post. It will be interesting to see if he's utilized much against our fast-breaking bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    The main hope is that the Plumlees can stay in the game longer than against Colgate. Cut down on the cheap fouls guys.
    Well, I agree that Mason should try to stay around to play more than 13 minutes, but Miles played 24 minutes before he fouled out and even if he had no fouls I don't see him getting much more than that in any game we play.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    You freaked me out there for a second. I thought I had been oblivious to one of Duk'e challenging non-conference games. But whew, you meant Butler.
    Woops. Sorry about that. I guess that trek from Philly to MSG in a snow storm last December left a lingering impression.

Sounds like there are some prime candidates to run out of the gym. I can't imagine 290 or even 260 playing a 40 minute up-tempo game without getting exhausted. I love the idea of this Duke team wearing teams out with tempo and depth.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Pardon my cynicism, but when I see I guy listed in a sport where 305 is way too heavy (unless you're Shaq), I mentally think he weighs 350 and 305 is his goal.
    Davante Gardner injured his left shoulder in Marquette's win over South Dakota:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/golde...109515889.html

It was revealed prior to the game that senior forward Joe Fulce would be out for at least a couple weeks with a left-knee injury, and then at the 12-minute 12-second mark of the first half, freshman forward Davante Gardner left for good after sustaining a left-shoulder injury during a scrum for a loose ball.

Gardner was to be evaluated after the game.
    Here is more game coverage from GoMarquette:

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-...112010aaa.html
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I continue to be amazed about the number of negative comments being posted about Miles Plumlee. Yes, I acknowledge he hasn't set the World on fire the first two games; however, his defensive positioning and rotations in the low post look good. While Miles isn't stuffing the stat sheet (2.5 ppg/2.5 rpg), he is playing solid low post defense, which is exactly what this team needs from him.

I'm not calling out Devilsfan here, just using the quoted post as a segue to my point. There seems to be a lot of posters who are down on Miles early in the season. C'mon folks, let's give him a chance.
    Just call it the Zoubek Effect. Brian really started showing what he could do late in his junior season and the stats bore out the fact that he was already a very good rebounder. As his feet healed and he was able to move again, he started to do it consistently. Then came the Maryland game.

I think we're seeing the same thing with Miles. He is very quietly putting all the pieces together. His defense this year is so much better than last year it's startling but defense doesn't fill up the stat sheet. He's making the rotations (and those are coming MUCH quicker this year) and moving his feet. His low blocks numbers are a sign that he's progressing imo. He's playing defense with his feet instead of leaving them.

Even looking at his stats though, he's playing well. He's hitting 50 percent of his shots but just hasn't taken that many yet. He's argueably our best offensive rebounder - though that's skewed by the last game. He's getting steals at a pretty good clip. The only real negative is free throw shooting and he's turning it over a bit. The t/o rate is probably from trying to play too fast but that will fix itself in another month or so - everybody (except Kyrie!) seems to be having the same issues.

It takes time and training to develop specific skills and even more time and straining and sweat to put it all together. That's why seniors are so valuable. Miles is working his butt off and, at some point, he'll have a game where he suddenly goes off and some fans will say it "clicked" or he "blew" up. Fortunately, I think Miles already knows that there are no (or really darn few) "overnight" sensations.

It will be gratifying just as it was with Brian. I think I'll start preaching the "Zoubek Effect" to my kids.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

It will be gratifying just as it was with Brian. I think I'll start preaching the "Zoubek Effect" to my kids.
    Are they old enough to grow beards?

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Are they old enough to grow beards?
    Or if they are girls, do you want them to grow beards? :-P