Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duke vs. Colgate on ESPN3

I know we still have Miami of Ohio to play tomorrow night, but in anticipation of my dad visiting this weekend (Class of 69) I am trying to get prepared. Has anyone watched a game on ESPN3 before. I have the HDMI cords to hook my computer up to my TV, but I am scared that the action will be "herky jerky". I am hoping someone else has had some experience with this in the past.

I'm sure all of you lucky fans in NC will get to watch this through a local station, but I'm afraid down here in Atlanta that we will be forced to watch online. On a side note does anyone know where all of the Duke fans gather down here in Atlanta.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice/recommendations on both questions.

Go Blue Devils!!

Quote Originally Posted by HateCarolina View Post
    I know we still have Miami of Ohio to play tomorrow night, but in anticipation of my dad visiting this weekend (Class of 69) I am trying to get prepared. Has anyone watched a game on ESPN3 before. I have the HDMI cords to hook my computer up to my TV, but I am scared that the action will be "herky jerky". I am hoping someone else has had some experience with this in the past.

I'm sure all of you lucky fans in NC will get to watch this through a local station, but I'm afraid down here in Atlanta that we will be forced to watch online. On a side note does anyone know where all of the Duke fans gather down here in Atlanta.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice/recommendations on both questions.

Go Blue Devils!!
    Generally, ESPN3 has been very smooth for me. However, yesterday's game was a bit of a disaster as every few minutes the screen would cut to the station liner with the message "Your event is about to begin." I actually watched the replay of the game this morning because of how herky-jerky the live feed was. I'm hoping this was a one time glitch as I've had lots of luck watching the FIBA games, european soccer matches, and NBA games live over the past few years.

Has anyone watched a game on ESPN3 before.
    I've watched almost every Duke football game this year on ESPN3. The video quality is dependent upon your Internet connection. If your connection is good, the video will be good and vice versa.
    Bob Green

I've watched the last two football games on ESPN3 and been pleasantly surprised. The video quality is pretty good even in full-screen mode on a big screen hooked up to my Mac Mini via HDMI. Can be a little herky-jerky but sure beats the alternative of not being able to watch it at all. My download is usually around 11 Mbps (business account)

I have done pretty well doing the exact same thing with football games before and have been pretty successful. ESPN3 generally has few issues with the one caveat that you need a good internet connection. Small changes in the speed have had big effects on the video quality. ESPN3 has games all the time, so I would suggest trying it with some games that you don't care about to work out all of the kinks with hooking your computer up and getting your tv setting how you want them. That way, you don't lose most of the first half just getting it to work right.

I wish I could access ESPN3. My cable provider doesn't play nice.

I agree that it is dependent on your internet connection. However yesterday's game was particularly problematic for me - I also had frequent meetings with the "stay tuned" screen (while sound was still playing in the background.) I had a VERY strong connection to the internet at the time. I watched the USC-FLorida game the day before and had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I wish I could access ESPN3. My cable provider doesn't play nice.
    My sister worked around this by getting the username/login of someone on a ESPN3-friendly ISP and plugging it in. She said it worked like a charm, just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by pacificrounder View Post
    My sister worked around this by getting the username/login of someone on a ESPN3-friendly ISP and plugging it in. She said it worked like a charm, just FYI.
    Anyone willing to send a username and password to me would be greatly appreciated. Although I guess it would have to be someone not worried about security issues. FWIW, I promise not to email the POTUS from your account...

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Anyone willing to send a username and password to me would be greatly appreciated. Although I guess it would have to be someone not worried about security issues. FWIW, I promise not to email the POTUS from your account...
    It might be hard to find a taker on the BB since those usernames/passwords are often linked to e-mail accounts and/or account management capabilities. Remember that you can ask family and friends offline too, they don't have to be a Duke BB fan to qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by pacificrounder View Post
    It might be hard to find a taker on the BB since those usernames/passwords are often linked to e-mail accounts and/or account management capabilities. Remember that you can ask family and friends offline too, they don't have to be a Duke BB fan to qualify.
    Not to mention the fact that ESPN may limit the number of users that can be viewing ESPN3 from an account concurrently. So if you have shared your credentials with a couple of others, you may not be able to get in yourself.

I watched this past weekends Duke football game through my XBOX Live with the ESPN3HD and it was great. Only had to buffer one time for the whole game and the picture quality was much better then when I use to watch it on my computer. Makes my XBOX Live membership a little more worth it!

I also watched some of the game on ESPN3 and had some jumpiness. Unfortunately, live streaming video is still someone hit or miss. Raycom used to provide an excellent feed for games that they covered, but unfortunately they only have a couple of games this season.

Does anyone have a schedule of which of our games will be aired on ESPN3? I can't find this listed anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I also watched some of the game on ESPN3 and had some jumpiness. Unfortunately, live streaming video is still someone hit or miss. Raycom used to provide an excellent feed for games that they covered, but unfortunately they only have a couple of games this season.

Does anyone have a schedule of which of our games will be aired on ESPN3? I can't find this listed anywhere.
    Colgate is the only game all year airing solely on ESPN3.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.db...45&SPSID=22726

AFAIK, the upcoming games for the next week are listed on the ESPN3 site. Beyond that, going on past patterns, games shown on espn, espn2, and espnu are also shown on espn3, with some additional exclusive to espn3 games thrown in. I'm hoping that will continue to be the case, it certainly is a nice feature.

Living in SEC country, I've watched my fair share of Duke football (and occasionally basketball) games on ESPN3, and aside from an every-few-minute 3-4 second freeze, it's been a pretty smooth experience.

However, last night was basically unwatchable for most of the game. Every few seconds, the action would freeze for a pretty long time, start back up again for several seconds, then skip forward 20 seconds or so. I hope this isn't a recurring trend, because it was just awful at my house (which has pretty fast internet).

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Generally, ESPN3 has been very smooth for me. However, yesterday's game was a bit of a disaster as every few minutes the screen would cut to the station liner with the message "Your event is about to begin." I actually watched the replay of the game this morning because of how herky-jerky the live feed was. I'm hoping this was a one time glitch as I've had lots of luck watching the FIBA games, european soccer matches, and NBA games live over the past few years.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have a good internet connection and never have trouble streaming other media in HD, but I had exactly the same problem that you did during the Princeton game - freezing up, "Your event is about to begin" messages popping up. I hope it's just a function of this being either a one-off problem, early in the season, or not broadcast on ESPN/ESPN2 (and hence maybe a lower level of production quality?).

This is my first year of watching Duke without cable, so I'm going to be heavily leaning on ESPN3 and over-the-air CBS, supplementing with trips to a sports bar for the few games that are on FSN.
    “Turning down the Lakers was tough, but it is always good to renew your vows to the loves of your life.”
    -Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWonder View Post
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have a good internet connection and never have trouble streaming other media in HD, but I had exactly the same problem that you did during the Princeton game - freezing up, "Your event is about to begin" messages popping up. I hope it's just a function of this being either a one-off problem, early in the season, or not broadcast on ESPN/ESPN2 (and hence maybe a lower level of production quality?).

This is my first year of watching Duke without cable, so I'm going to be heavily leaning on ESPN3 and over-the-air CBS, supplementing with trips to a sports bar for the few games that are on FSN.
    I experienced the same thing with espn3, I was wondering if it was my PC or not. Now I know. Never had that problem in past....

Big question - anyone know whether the Miami (OH) game Tuesday will be on ESPN3?

I would have assumed so, but the tipoff schedule for the day only lists it as on ESPNU (while some other games are listed as "ESPN2/ESPN3.com", for example). To quote the great Kenny Powers, that ain't ballin.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Big question - anyone know whether the Miami (OH) game Tuesday will be on ESPN3?

I would have assumed so, but the tipoff schedule for the day only lists it as on ESPNU (while some other games are listed as "ESPN2/ESPN3.com", for example). To quote the great Kenny Powers, that ain't ballin.
    It's listed here: http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/basketball

Looks like regional coverage; not sure what that means on ESPN3.