Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Who (outside of UNC) is our biggest rival?

With Kentucky and UCONN playing tonight, I began to wonder who Duke fans consider our biggest rival not named UNC?

I wonder which program (that didn't win the 2010 national championship) UNC fans would put on the top of their list?

I would have to say Maryland because they are the only team we play on a regular basis. It's mainly due to their disrespectful fanbase though. Outside the ACC, Connecticut has beat us twice in big games and will let you know it in a heartbeat.

Inside the ACC - Maryland with Clemson and Virginia Tech not far behind

Outside the ACC - Kentucky / Uconn for sure...Uconn's delivered some tough losses in recent years and the dislike between K and Calipari is pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    I would have to say Maryland because they are the only team we play on a regular basis. Connecticut though has beat us twice in big games and will let you know it in a heartbeat.
    I would probably say Maryland too, if they have a solid team. Although, it does seem a bit one-sided with respect to the rivalry in that their fans seem to really really hate us while I would say we only mildly hate them. Except Steve Blake - I'll always really hate that guy.

Outside the ACC I'd go with Kentucky. Don't think we have warm fuzzy feelings for each other.

No doubt

the twerps number one. then uconn and Kentucky. Go Duke!

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    I would have to say Maryland because they are the only team we play on a regular basis. Connecticut though has beat us twice in big games and will let you know it in a heartbeat.
    If you base it on regularly playing a team, I would say MD. But if you talk to fans of Uconn and KY, I think they would say there is a rivalry between us and them; and personally I'd agree. I think the rivalry started with Christian hit the game winner (as a freshman I believe) to beat UConn and prevent them from going to the Final 4, and I hate the fact that UConn kept us from winning it all in 1999 and 2004. And I'd love to see Duke play and beat KY any chance they can because KY fans are so obnoxious and unreasonable when it comes to theri hatred of Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by em0526 View Post
    With Kentucky and UCONN playing tonight, I began to wonder who Duke fans consider our biggest rival not named UNC?

I wonder which program (that didn't win the 2010 national championship) UNC fans would put on the top of their list?
    There are no degrees of "rivalness". We have one, and only one, rival.

The fanbases of EVERY other good program, and EVERY other ACC school that cares about basketball, consider us their rival.

We OTOH have only one rival, which has never changed in my lifetime of following Duke basketball.

I'm at peace with UConn. They deserved to win the 1999 and 2004 games anyway.

Talking Easy Answer

It's in the fight song: "...Duke is gonna win today, Carolina goodnight! BEAT STATE! So turn on the steam team, fight Blue Devils, fight!" Or, maybe I've been mishearing it all these years.

Our natural and historic rival was NC State, and it should be again. It is ridiculous that we do not have home-and-home basketball games with State as well as an annual football game.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It's in the fight song: "...Duke is gonna win today, Carolina goodnight! BEAT STATE! So turn on the steam team, fight Blue Devils, fight!" Or, maybe I've been mishearing it all these years.

Our natural and historic rival was NC State, and it should be again. It is ridiculous that we do not have home-and-home basketball games with State as well as an annual football game.

sagegrouse
    I know you know the words. Wasn't that part of freshman orientation when we were there?

Fight Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I know you know the words. Wasn't that part of freshman orientation when we were there?
    Yep. And I am proud to say I threw my dink away the first moment I could and never looked back. Unfortunately, the "beat State" words have been replaced in some recitations of the fight song.

sagegrouse

Here's my personal list:

Maryland - fueled by the intense 2000-2005 period and by their literally rabid fan base

UConn - we've beaten them in some big games, but Calhoun's got K's number with the 1999 Title game and 2004 Final Four. It would be sweet to get some payback, but I think that Calhoun is nearing the end of his run.

Kentucky - I really wish we could get a home and home with these guys just for the blockbuster potential.

Finally, for anyone who was a huge fan circa the early 1990s, Michigan was a HATED rival, from the Fab 5 through Tractor Traylor's game winning dunk through the loss up at Crisler in Brand/Battier's freshman year.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    The fanbases of EVERY other good program, and EVERY other ACC school that cares about basketball, consider us their rival.

We OTOH have only one rival, which has never changed in my lifetime of following Duke basketball.

I'm at peace with UConn. They deserved to win the 1999 and 2004 games anyway.
    I can't give yoUCON a pass. I thought we got hosed in 2004.

Still, UNC is the only real rival.

Beat State

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yep. And I am proud to say I threw my dink away the first moment I could and never looked back. Unfortunately, the "beat State" words have been replaced in some recitations of the fight song.

sagegrouse
    Gotta say I have never heard the words "beat State" sung or shouted in the fight song during my years at Duke. And there was nothing replacing them either. As I listen to it on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpphcJjbF_0 , I don't see how words could fit in between "Carolina goodnight" and "so turn on the steam." Unless you pull an "O" as they do in the National Anthem and shout it out quickly.

Rivals

In conference - Maryland, then VaTech. At least, over the last ten years. I still get goosebumps watching the Gone in 59 seconds game.
    (poor quality video, but worth watching!)
    Seriously, rewatch it and remember how awesome it was. Those UM fans were so horrendous that year.

Out of conference? I'm trying to think... Early 90's we had some great matchups with Michigan. I very much enjoyed watching those games. Also, good matchups with Arizona in those years.

Good games against St. Johns and Temple in the similar time frame if I remember correctly. Kentucky, of course had some great drama over the years. Kansas got my riled up in both the Larry Brown and Roy years, but I can't say I care much one way or the other these days. Cincinnati in the Huggy Bear days was a thorn in our side and vice versa.

But as far as consistent great games with Duke, I'll take UConn. Especially given the importance of the games between the teams and my general disdain for the program. No doubt Calhoun is a good coach, but his handling of some player indiscretions is definitely worthy of some investigation.

It's been a long time, but I'll pick UConn for out of conference rival. I still would not relish a matchup with them, regardless of their W-L record or ranking.

This is an interesting discussion and I'm interested to see what other fans from different eras remember. I'd love to get into a rivalry with a Capilari-led Kentucky team and show them what real coaching looks like.

MD is no rival of mine and I thoroughly enjoy watching the local fans here in DC get worked up only for me to send them over the edge by saying something to the effect of "Duke plays tonight, though it must not be a big game because I don't know who we're playing." Also, they hate it when I DON'T gloat after a victory...that alone shows them that it's just another victory for us.

After UNC, I'd say UConn and Kentucky. I'd love to rekindle the State rivalry, but other than Julius Hodge dissing the Crazies before each game in Cameron, there really hasn't been much to get worked up about with them

We have only 1 rival & they play in Chapel Hill.

Inside the conference it's gotta be State and MD.

I will grudgingly admit that Maryland is our 2nd tier rival. Other than that, none.

Do not give the Kentucky's, Kansas, and MSU's of the world the satisfaction of calling themselves our rival. They're not! We don't play them every year, they're not in our conference, the only thing that makes THEM think they're our rivals is that they hate us.

Just because I don't like Kentucky and their slimy program does not mean I'll dignify them and call them a rival.

In the words of Snoop Dog, "You's a flea and I'm the big dog. I scratch you off my b**ls with my mfin' paws."

Haha, I love how some Duke fans think they are "denying" other teams a rivalry...really sticking it to them and making them wish they were important enough to matter to the likes of us.

Such blatent snobbery is rare.

C'mon...outside of UNC, our rivals are historically State and over the past decade would include UMD at the least.