Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
Were you not paying any attention at all to what K did during the off-season and to what he has been doing during the off-season for the past several years?
Of course I was, and I don't diminish that. But Geno coached a world championship winner this summer as well, hence my point that they won the same championships in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
Not to put down what Geno has accomplished, because it is quite impressive and worthy of praise, but there is a world of difference in success in the men's game and the women's game at this level. Look at the variance in national champions over the past decade and the success rate of high seeds in each tournament. You will see that it is just easier for a successful women's team to have a deep run in the tournament.
This, I think, is the key point. The women's game right now, from the perspective of talent depth, is probably more similar to the men's game in the 60s and 70s, when it was possible for teams to go undefeated and win multiple championships back to back. Because the men's game is now so much more competitive at both the intercollegiate and international levels, K's achievements are more impressive than Geno's, IMHO.

With that said, the 80 game winning streak is nothing to sniff at, and I still disagree with SoCal's characterization that it would be a 'criminal' to pick Geno over K. While I personally would be happy if they picked K, there's room for reasonable minds to disagree.