Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Visitor for Tonight's Game: Purvis

To all fans and/or Crazies going to the game tonight...

2012 stud recruit Rodney Purvis will be at the game tonight. He did not get a lot of attention at CTC due to Rivers, Quinn, etc...but PLEASE show him some love tonight. He is arguably one of the top 5 players in the 2012 class who loves K and lives in our backyard. Please show him some love and make it hard for him to not want to come to Duke!!!

He has been described as Dwyane Wade-lite and has some crazy YouTube dunk videos. Let's try to help him in his decision making process!

Since he's not on an official visit aren't we fans technically not allowed to cheer for him?

Wasn't there a constitutional amendment that gave everyone "freedom of speech"?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Wasn't there a constitutional amendment that gave everyone "freedom of speech"?
    The First Amendment doesn't give a school the right to avoid NCAA sanctions for otherwise protected speech, so I'm not sure what relevance that has to the discussion.

No, fans are technically not supposed to cheer for recruits.

Yes, we should cheer for him anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dchen09 View Post
    Since he's not on an official visit aren't we fans technically not allowed to cheer for him?
    Yes, and if you see him walking around campus, you have to avert your eyes.

"NO EYE CONTACT." - NCAA Student-Athlete Amateurism Regulation Handbook Code Section 146.84

Quote Originally Posted by dchen09 View Post
    Huh? so long as you do not give him money or other gifts, the fans can do pretty much whatever they want. There might be some gray areas if the coaching staff asked fans to do something that could be seen as a "benefit," but cheers are always going to be fine.

--Jason "I suppose, if you cheered 'come here and we'll give you $150,000' that would be problematic" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

That should be a violation... even Cam Newton needed $180,000, and he was asking that from Miss. State (smaller school's boosters, and in a sport with more players to pay). Obviously, I'm kidding. I know they are just allegations, and we wouldn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    No, fans are technically not supposed to cheer for recruits.
    Really? Where did you hear this? What rule would that violate? Is a cheer some kind of improper benefit?

-Jason "I did a google search but found nothing about fan cheers being a violation" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Huh? so long as you do not give him money or other gifts, the fans can do pretty much whatever they want. There might be some gray areas if the coaching staff asked fans to do something that could be seen as a "benefit," but cheers are always going to be fine.

--Jason "I suppose, if you cheered 'come here and we'll give you $150,000' that would be problematic" Evans
    I suppose you don't remember when the Duke "compliance staff" confiscated Harrison Barnes "H4O" paraphernalia during his official visit...

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    I suppose you don't remember when the Duke "compliance staff" confiscated Harrison Barnes "H4O" paraphernalia during his official visit...
    There's a difference between writing something down and shouting it. I remember there was also some heat for the giant Kyrie sign on main west last year, but I don't think that any compliance staff can reasonably stop cheering.

Also, I don't believe there is any difference in regards to an official vs. unofficial visit as to what fans can or can't do. Most of the differences have to do with money.

Either way, cheer you butts off for Rodney. He's a hell of a player and he deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    There's a difference between writing something down and shouting it. I remember there was also some heat for the giant Kyrie sign on main west last year, but I don't think that any compliance staff can reasonably stop cheering.

Also, I don't believe there is any difference in regards to an official vs. unofficial visit as to what fans can or can't do. Most of the differences have to do with money.

Either way, cheer you butts off for Rodney. He's a hell of a player and he deserves it.
    Agree. There is no difference between an official and unoffical visit. Cheers are fine and do not break any NCAA rules. Lets welcome Purvis tonight and make him feel great for joining us tonight. Remember he and Shabazz want to play together next year.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Really? Where did you hear this? What rule would that violate? Is a cheer some kind of improper benefit?

-Jason "I did a google search but found nothing about fan cheers being a violation" Evans
    I too had never heard of it until someone referenced it here on DBR in a previous discussion. It stuck out in my mind as being kind of silly and unenforceable. I don't know the NCAA rule, but the basic reasoning is as follows: as http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...87&SPID=106797 points out, recruiting is defined as "[a]ny solicitation of a prospect or a prospect’s relatives for the purpose of securing the prospect’s enrollment and ultimate participation in Duke’s athletic program." Only designated people, such as coaches, are permitted to recruit. And "[PLAYER NAME], come to Duke!" is a solicitation, even if a minor one.

This is why I thought the Duke compliance department was all over the Barnes cutout, flyers, and posters, why NC State shut down a student's "John Wall, come to NC State" Facebook group, why we had people going around taking down flyers for Irving's visit, and why WVU had to investigate itself for fan actions when Adreian Payne visited their school. Technically, fans are not supposed to get involved on any level...but realistically, students at every school chant/cheer for recruits, and I've never heard of anyone actually getting hit with a secondary violation for something of this sort. Hence my (perhaps misguided?) belief that we are not supposed to do it, but it's ultimately okay to do it because there are never any repercussions.

If there are different reasons for the above examples, then I will fully repent. But I am pretty sure someone here explained this before, and that technically all of those examples run afoul of NCAA recruiting restrictions by fans/representatives/boosters (or perhaps just come so close to the line that schools want to avoid it?).

If fans aren't supposed to recruit, then I'm not sure what difference the written/unwritten dichotomy makes, other than make it easier to prove a violation took place. Maybe the general rule is that institutions only get in trouble if they organize or encourage the fan actions...but so as long as they make a good faith effort to take reactive steps (by taking down flyers, removing cardboard cutouts, shutting down facebook groups) then they're in the clear. And for a cheer that lasts only a few seconds, the school doesn't really need to step in to end it (and also, there's no paper evidence after the fact), so perhaps that's why there's a perceived difference in "allowing" chants but not posters.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Yes, I agree. Go Duke!

No school has gotten in trouble over a cheer for a recruit. Let them fly.

Goodness, could even the NCAA be so stupid so as to make it a violation for fans to cheer someone's name at a game? How utterly ridiculous if that is the case.

http://twitter.com/rpurvis_44/status/3944898583592960

" Got to LOVE DUKE fans .."

I like that response.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

He got a show!

Rodney get any love from the fans at the game?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Rodney get any love from the fans at the game?
    One very loud cheer, which it appeared he enjoyed.

background

did anyone notice that the background to Purvis's twitter account is carolina blue? is that a sign?