Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

FB: Duke v BC Post Game Thread

There are a lot of reasons why we lost this game. But ultimately, the coaching did us in.

HUGE NEGATIVES:
    1. Minor Negative, kicking a FG while down 15 does nothing.
    2. WHY THE HECK WAS CONNETTE IN THE GAME SO DARN OFTEN, ESPECIALLY IN THE RED ZONE?!

Listen, I understand if you want to run...that's conventional. It'd be silly, but conventional. Connette is a worse passer than Renfree. He didn't have a single good run all game. WHY PUT HIM IN?!

Waste of 1st and 3rd downs on the final 1st and goal...just unbelievable.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

TERRIBLE play call by Cut.

Renfree drives this team down the field to the BC 5 yd line.
    On 3rd and goal, we take him out (wtf?) and put in Connette who misses an open Helfet in the endzone.
    On 4th and goal, Renfree back in, pass batted down.

Game, set, match.

This loss is entirely on the coaches.
    Why go with something on 3rd and goal with 50 secs left if it hasn't worked ALL GAME?!

This game was eminently winnable, and Cutcliffe blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    TERRIBLE play call by Cut.

Renfree drives this team down the field to the BC 5 yd line.
    On 3rd and goal, we take him out (wtf?) and put in Connette who misses an open Helfet in the endzone.
    On 4th and goal, Renfree back in, pass batted down.

Game, set, match.

This loss is entirely on the coaches.
    Why go with something on 3rd and goal with 50 secs left if it hasn't worked ALL GAME?!

This game was eminently winnable, and Cutcliffe blew it.
    You forget, Connette was in on 1st down too and lost a yard on 1st and goal.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

The big defensive TD put us in position to win the game but ultimately we couldn't score a TD in the Red Zone on BC's defense. Just like the Maryland game, settling for field goals wasn't enough to secure a victory. This one is frustrating for the team as they fought hard, never gave up, but came up short. It's a tough game.

I don't agree with the play call on 3rd down and goal at the end, but who am I? Coach Cutcliffe has forgotten more about football than I will ever know.
    Bob Green

That was beyond frustrating. That game was completely winnable. I can only imagine how frustrated Renfree must be right now. I fully support Coach Cut, but we needed this win and having Connette in for the 1st and goal and especially the 3rd and goal was just a terrible decision. This win would have been huge from a momentum standpoint, and instead we're left with another one that we let slip away.

Tough game for the Devils, but the team once again showed toughness and heart. I agree - this loss is on Coach Cut and the staff. Connette hadn't been effective against BC all game and we went to the well (at least) once too often with that package. It's not going to be effective against all teams - change the offense when the situation requires it. I sure wish our offense had been more productive in the red zone but credit BC's stingy defense. My hat's off to their team and congrats to the Eagles and their fans.

I was watching on espn3 with Warrick Dunn commentating. At HALFTIME, he was saying Duke should go away from the Connette package since it hasn't worked all game.

I'm all for having dual-threat QBs but am strongly against switching them out every other play on the most important drive of the game. Especially when Connette hadn't done anything all day, and Renfree was the reason we even stood to win the game!

Great job team, way to fight back. Sorry the coaches cost you the game.

Amen! This is totally the coach's fault. On ESPN the announcers kept commenting that the Conette package was not working. I would have to go back and look, but it seemed that Renfree drove us down the field all day long. THen we would get close, put in Connette and bog down. Doing it a few times in the first half was frustrating, but continuing the same old crap in the second half was idiotic. I have nothing against Connette, but if that package doesn't work stay with the hot hand. At least we have improved enough that I am now getting really pissed when we lose, even though I have 39 years of experience in the frustration that is Duke football. I forgot to add that at least things are looking up defensivly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The big defensive TD put us in position to win the game but ultimately we couldn't score a TD in the Red Zone on BC's defense. Just like the Maryland game, settling for field goals wasn't enough to secure a victory.
    I disagree. Settling for field goals left Duke in a position to win in the second half; they just failed to execute.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I disagree. Settling for field goals left Duke in a position to win in the second half; they just failed to execute.
    We are saying the same thing. I'm not questioning the decision to kick the field goals, I'm commenting we lost the game because we couldn't score Red Zone touchdowns. In chat today, I stated kick the field goal all three times we did.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    There are a lot of reasons why we lost this game. But ultimately, the coaching did us in.

HUGE NEGATIVES:
    1. Minor Negative, kicking a FG while down 15 does nothing.
    Gotta disagree here. If we didn't get points on that possession (which is more likely than not if we go for it), we need 2 TDs and a 2-point conversion just to tie. As it was, the field goal gave us a shot to win at the end. On the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    2. WHY THE HECK WAS CONNETTE IN THE GAME SO DARN OFTEN, ESPECIALLY IN THE RED ZONE?!

Listen, I understand if you want to run...that's conventional. It'd be silly, but conventional. Connette is a worse passer than Renfree. He didn't have a single good run all game. WHY PUT HIM IN?!

Waste of 1st and 3rd downs on the final 1st and goal...just unbelievable.
    I'm definitely with you on this one. Connette had negative rushing yard on the day, and the option wasn't working for us at all (which isn't really Connette's fault - the run game was pretty bad in general). If you're going to do the 2-QB routine, you've got to go with the hot hand.

On the positive, the defense seem to be playing somewhat better. There some blown pass coverages, but the run defense was actually pretty good.

Angry

I just got home from the game... more frustrated than ever. We had the team to win this game; what we didn't have were wise decisions on the part of the offensive staff.

After the first two trips into the red zone and Connette trotted out with the same PREDICTABLE PLAYS AND THE SAME PREDICTABLE results, those of us in our area felt that would be the end of that. It was obvious that BC had come prepared for Connette.

Then the third time and the fourth, with same results, you have to figure that the staff had finally succeeded in fulfilling the definition of insanity.

Cut can rant all he wants about this game... the problem today was with those wearing headphones, not with those wearing helmets.

I don't write here too often, but, this just sucked! Sorry for the rant.

I can't believe we still went to Connete in the 3rd and 4th quarter. I cannot believe it.

My frustration level is off the chart. I thought we were supposed to have a brilliant offensive coaching staff. I can (and did) call our plays today. If I can, the BC coaches could. All day long we had the five to seven yard pass available. We refused to take it. I suppose it would have been unsporting. Instead, we had to continue to prove that we couldn't run. Four times in the red zone, four times we put in Connette, four times we fail to get a touchdown. What does it take for the coaching staff to realize their plan isn't working. The players played their hearts out, and deserved to win. They were betrayed by their coaches.

1. The FG was the right call. As is, it put us in a position to win.

2. Re: Connette -- for some reason, the O line looked great against BC all day except when Connette was in. Then, they had three players in our backfield. So I don't pin this on Connette. Nor do I blame the coaching staff -- that is obviously what they think works in the red zone. It worked great the last two weeks. They would not have had him in if they thought a different package would have been superior. Renfree didn't get us in the end zone, either.

So, I would have loved to win this game but we came up a bit short. I think Cut did what he felt was right with the personnel we have. Those short Renfree passes work great in the open field, but don't leave you much inside the 10.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    They were betrayed by their coaches.
    I believe you're guilty of an overstatement. Using "betrayed" is a bit much. I disagree with some decisions made today in regard to play calling/strategy; however, I'm sure the staff thought it was the proper course of action at the time. I suspect Coach Cutcliffe and staff will be engaged in a lot of Sunday morning quarterbacking tomorrow.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I believe you're guilty of an overstatement. Using "betrayed" is a bit much. I disagree with some decisions made today in regard to play calling/strategy; however, I'm sure the staff thought it was the proper course of action at the time. I suspect Coach Cutcliffe and staff will be engaged in a lot of Sunday morning quarterbacking tomorrow.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. The coaching staff appears to be unable to adapt to situations on the field. Game plans are fine, but as in warfare, many game plans do not survive contact with the opposition. Despite their red zone play calling not working all day, the coaches kept with it. The players deserved better. Since our last bowl game, we are 33-147. Playing by the book, sticking to the plan, has produced that record. I realize that most of that was pre-Cut. But for those of us sitting in the stands, it is more of the same old, same old. The worst kind of losing is boring, predictable losing. And that is what we did today.

OldPhiKap wrote:

2. Re: Connette -- for some reason, the O line looked great against BC all day except when Connette was in. Then, they had three players in our backfield. So I don't pin this on Connette. Nor do I blame the coaching staff -- that is obviously what they think works in the red zone. It worked great the last two weeks. They would not have had him in if they thought a different package would have been superior. Renfree didn't get us in the end zone, either.

My guess is the reason the "O" line looked bad when Connette came
    in was BC KNEW what was coming... as did all 57 of us in the stands. Look at the film.. when the ball was snapped, BC had four down linemen, three up close LBs, two rather shallow DBs and two deep safetys. They were in the backfield because they were keying on Connette, disregarding a pass or a handoff. No "O" line is going to be able to successfully block that.

In fairness to Renfree - "Renfree didn't get us into the end zone,either" - when he came in, Duke had either lost or gained no yardage; it was third down; and it was a definite passing situation; which, made it a bit less difficult for BC to defend.

We obviously disagree as to the coaches... that's cool. I just think the Connette - Tebow play needs some variation to it. Today, it fooled no one.

Being a contrarion, I have decided to take the glass-is-half-full approach in this thread (although I couldn't believe Connette was in the game on 3rd down on the 4 yard line...I was keeping track on ESPN.com):

This season, Duke has been so close to getting to the 6 win mark...I have to believe next year looks very bright since the team is so young.

I'm not coming on here to bash the coaching staff, but it is very frustrating to see Renfree drive them to the red zone all day then see them turn to a predictable running game against the #3 defense in the nation against the run. Why not give Renfree a chance to punch it in? I thought about all the what ifs on that long ride home.