Roy Williams Is Already in Mid-Season Form

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbask...-his-own-good-

At the start of the postgame press conference, Huck felt the need to vent about the frickin' locks on the doors of the coaches' locker room. The guy is a textbook head case.

Go to Section 3 of the article for his little tantrum. This year could yield even more comedy gold than last year. It's like watching "The Caine Mutiny."
    Last edited by slower; 11-13-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post

At the start of the postgame press conference, Huck felt the need to vent about the frickin' locks on the doors of the coaches' locker room. The guy is a textbook head case.

Go to Section 3 of the article for his little tantrum. This year could yield even more comedy gold than last year. It's like watching "The Caine Mutiny."
    Good read. Yes, this may be even better than last year. How tense do you have to be to rant about a simple issue like a lock getting stuck in a press conference??? I wonder if he keeps his top hat and cane in the locker as well???

Tick, tick, tick...

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post

You know, Section 2 is pretty fascinating, as well. If you compare the overall title of Wiederer's article - "Is Harrison Barnes too robotic for his own good?" - with the subtitle of Section 2 - "Harrison Barnes is an interesting young man" - we find that what Wiederer finds most interesting about Barnes is his "polished ... media persona." This may be a compliment [though that word "persona" is a hint of something], but when Wiederer adds, "robotic almost," we are invited to linger just a bit further on "persona."

Then Wiederer describes Barnes's mannerisms as "measured," and tells us that Barnes exerts "extra-effort to show he's sophisticated." The word "measured" is intended to be a hint - what's going on here? - whereas the info that it's important to Barnes to "show he's sophisticated" is pretty blunt, and hardly a compliment. The punch line to this foray into Barnes's persona is that it's a "subplot" to pay attention to.

As best I can tell, Wiederer here is reflecting a general perception about Barnes, while observing some specific traits, so I assume Wiederer himself hasn't gone off the deep end.

I think Barnes is as good as advertised [well, at least until he was advertised as preseason 1st team AA] and will have a great [I hope short] career at UNC and [I hope long] beyond. For his sake, it would certainly be better if scribes find themselves paying a whole lot more attention to his game, and get way beyond the "subplot" of his "persona." Barnes could help, if he himself could get beyond his "persona."

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    You know, Section 2 is pretty fascinating, as well. If you compare the overall title of Wiederer's article - "Is Harrison Barnes too robotic for his own good?" - with the subtitle of Section 2 - "Harrison Barnes is an interesting young man" - we find that what Wiederer finds most interesting about Barnes is his "polished ... media persona." This may be a compliment [though that word "persona" is a hint of something], but when Wiederer adds, "robotic almost," we are invited to linger just a bit further on "persona."

Then Wiederer describes Barnes's mannerisms as "measured," and tells us that Barnes exerts "extra-effort to show he's sophisticated." The word "measured" is intended to be a hint - what's going on here? - whereas the info that it's important to Barnes to "show he's sophisticated" is pretty blunt, and hardly a compliment. The punch line to this foray into Barnes's persona is that it's a "subplot" to pay attention to.

As best I can tell, Wiederer here is reflecting a general perception about Barnes, while observing some specific traits, so I assume Wiederer himself hasn't gone off the deep end.

I think Barnes is as good as advertised [well, at least until he was advertised as preseason 1st team AA] and will have a great [I hope short] career at UNC and [I hope long] beyond. For his sake, it would certainly be better if scribes find themselves paying a whole lot more attention to his game, and get way beyond the "subplot" of his "persona." Barnes could help, if he himself could get beyond his "persona."
    Barnes is going to be interesting to watch this year. I find it interesting that on his first media exposure of the year, Wiederer (by most accounts a logical guy) would find HB's persona interesting enough to comment on. The fact the the UNC nation and media expect him to be an All-American right out of the gate coupled with HB's STRONG work ethic and desire is a lot for a kid to deal with.

Let's keep the UNC discussion going in one thread.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...read.php?22996

-jk