Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    look, I understand he isn't a freakish athlete.

I also remember that he was the MVP in each of the all-star games he played in this past summer. I believe that Kyle S. is a good comparison for HB. But, I believe that HB is a better athlete than KS. Once HB gains the experience that KS has, he will be a much more dynamic player than he currently is. I think everyone will agree with this. However, there is always the chance that HB doesn't achieve that level and unfortunately will be labeled a bust because of all the press hype. It is unfortunate that all of this pressure exists in today's world, but these are the times we live in.

The same pressure is there for KI. He has been given the keys to a NC machine and if he doesn't win a NC next year, how will he be seen?

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    look, I understand he isn't a freakish athlete.

I also remember that he was the MVP in each of the all-star games he played in this past summer. I believe that Kyle S. is a good comparison for HB. But, I believe that HB is a better athlete than KS. Once HB gains the experience that KS has, he will be a much more dynamic player than he currently is. I think everyone will agree with this. However, there is always the chance that HB doesn't achieve that level and unfortunately will be labeled a bust because of all the press hype. It is unfortunate that all of this pressure exists in today's world, but these are the times we live in.

The same pressure is there for KI. He has been given the keys to a NC machine and if he doesn't win a NC next year, how will he be seen?
    Reports are that HB is obsessed with analyzing his game and getting better. I've heard where he watches game film in his free time. If he truly does stay this committed while trying to fit into the team concept he'll reach the hype. Maybe HB doesn't have the freakish athleticism, maybe he won't be the next Jordan or Kobe, or maybe he will be the next Kobe. Or maybe he'll be the first Harrison Barnes. Kobe isn't the best athlete on his own team right now but he's still one of the NBA's best players. I think Barnes has a lot more going for him athletically than Deng.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Well I guess it's official!?!?

Harrison Barnes has played exactly one collegiate game and according to this he is one of the best freshman to ever play college ball.

Give me a break!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Harrison Barnes has played exactly one collegiate game and according to this he is one of the best freshman to ever play college ball.

Give me a break!
    Well, to be fair, it doesn't say he is one of the best freshman yet. It just starts with him as a reason for piquing interest at looking at the best freshmen from the past.

If he wants to be one of the best freshmen in NCAA history however, he has his work cut out for him. SI.com takes a look at the competition.
    But, still, somewhat ridiculous.

Psh.

Give me a break!
    He's that Dude.

Give me a break!
    In fairness, the story says:

If he wants to be one of the best freshmen in NCAA history however, he has his work cut out for him. SI.com takes a look at the competition.
    Still, even discussing it at this point seems silly. As many have noted, Sullinger looks like a better freshman right now.

--Jason "lets see what Barnes does in his first 4 or 5 games, at least, before even thinking about this silliness" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Give me a break!
    Think SI curse..Go Duke!

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Think SI curse..Go Duke!
    Interesting how many of them did not have particularly distinguished professional careers.

Those kids Sullinger and Irving disagree. I however think no one is as good at their position as Sullinger as far as freshman go. First few games into the season or not.

Looks like HB is making a better case for himself, 17 points in the first half against Hofstra. Not bad...

well, 19 in the first half and zero for the second. not a very balanced game, but didn't need him too much.

cannot remember a time that a UNC team shot 70% for the game from three. very impressive, regardless of the opponent.

they couldn't stop reigning CAA player of the year Jenkins from getting 20 in the first half, but the slowed him down for only 4 in the second half. Most of the shots he made in the first were contested quite well, but he made them anyway.

Marshall had 9 assists, 2 TO's, and 2 steals in 16 minutes. He knows how to get guys the ball in great scoring positions. Knox missed a few lay in's from close range or else Marshall's tally would have been higher.

Drew's line was 6 assists to 1 TO.

Early season game against a young and much less athletically gifted team, but it was still good to see the Heels dominate a team and finish them strong.

Talking to one of my closest Duke friends after the game, I told him that UNC favored last years Duke team more than they favored any recent UNC team. The bulk of their scoring talent will be come from the perimeter. I do not feel that UNC's perimeter shooting will be as consistent as Duke's, but I do believe the big guys from UNC will provide more consistent play in the interior. Its early, but perhaps this UNC team that showed up tonight can be a top 10 team this season. Regardless, it was nice to see a really strong performance from a rather young team.

unc seems to be in mid season form. My how ol'roy gets the most out of his personel so early in the season is simply amazing. How does the saying go? "This is as good as it gets".

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    It is unfortunate that all of this pressure exists in today's world, but these are the times we live in.
    The problem with this statement is, in HB's case, he brought it on himself. When you do what he did when he announced which college he picked, then you are asking for it.

Much like LaBron did. I don't care for the pro game so it doesn't matter to me but, until he wins a title he will ALWAYS have all the pressure of the NBA put on him. When you yourself bring the attention to you, you must carry the burden.

Heard that Kobe, Lebron, Dwayne, and Kevin Durant are planning visits to watch this phenom so they can pick up some pointers on how to play the game not to mention how to use skype effectively in gaining peoples respect.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    The problem with this statement is, in HB's case, he brought it on himself. When you do what he did when he announced which college he picked, then you are asking for it.

Much like LaBron did. I don't care for the pro game so it doesn't matter to me but, until he wins a title he will ALWAYS have all the pressure of the NBA put on him. When you yourself bring the attention to you, you must carry the burden.
    I agree with you, but the media hasn't done him any favors either. The Pre-Season First Team AA selection was ridiculous. HB is not Kevin Durant. Not even close.

G-Man was on the Packman show tonight and he talked about the pressure and how hard it will be to live up to the expectations. Roy told G-Man that in all his years he had never come close to having a kid with this much hype around him.

G-Man also mentioned that when HB hit that first shot in the game at the Dean Dome, he said the way the crowd reacted and roared you would have thought it was Jordan hitting the jumper in New Orleans. Like you, I do not feel bad for him because he did create the HB "Branded Image".

FWIW, G-Man stated his thoughts on UNC and as expected he felt the Top 10 ranking was well beyond where they actually are. I got distracted when he was ranking the current top ACC teams, but if I heard him correctly he had Duke, VA Tech, NC State, and UNC at 1 through 4 based on the games so far.

Quote Originally Posted by deezl View Post
    Those kids Sullinger and Irving disagree. I however think no one is as good at their position as Sullinger as far as freshman go. First few games into the season or not.
    *ding*ding*ding*ding*ding*

We have a winner folks.

Now granted, I've only seen Jared Sullinger play one game, but he was absurdly good against what is supposed to be a pretty decent Florida team. And that Irvin kid, or Irvine, or whatever his name is, he's okay too.

For the sole purpose of being able to brag in 6 months, I'm going to put it in writing right now. HB will be, at best, the third best freshman this year behind (1) Jared Sullinger and (2) Kyrie Irving. Although the three of them together is a pretty darn good start to an amazing All-Freshman team.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Looks like HB is making a better case for himself, 17 points in the first half against Hofstra. Not bad...
    Are you masquerading as kong?

Did SI even watch Durant's freshmen season?

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Are you masquerading as kong?
    Them's fighting words!!

No, just stating facts. I didn't watch the game, but I did see the stat line late in the first half and HB was 4-4 from 3pt land and had missed maybe only one shot, so he was playing well. I am interested to see what happened and why he did not score any second half points...

HB didn't get many touches in the second half and when he did, the entire team collapsed on him. He missed the two or three shots he took.