Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Will Snyderwine, 1st Team All-American

Congratulations go to Will Snyderwine, who has been named to the AFCA's All-America team for his efforts at kicker for the Blue Devils this season.

Here's the link to the full team.

Snyderwine was 21/24 on FGs for the season, with a long of 52.

He also led Duke in scoring with 95 points, nearly doubling up the closest teammate.
    Last edited by Mike Corey; 11-29-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Congratulations go to Will Snyderwine, who has been named to the AFCA's All-America team for his efforts at kicker for the Blue Devils this season.

Here's the link to the full team.

Snyderwine was 21/24 on FGs for the season, with a long of 52.

He also led Duke in scoring with 95 points, nearly doubling up the closest teammate.
    The kid is a great kicker. Great for Duke and the program.

This is pretty unbelievable considering that there were open tryouts for kicker in the not too distant past. I can't believe we have gone from sweating out extra points to an All-American kicker in such a short time. Congrats Will!

A tremendous accomplishment! He has definitely come a long way and it's great to see him recognized as one of the best in college football. Way to go Will!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    This is pretty unbelievable considering that there were open tryouts for kicker in the not too distant past. I can't believe we have gone from sweating out extra points to an All-American kicker in such a short time. Congrats Will!
    Will Snyderwine was found during the open tryouts, so obviously they were key to the current state of the kicking. He wasn't recruited to kick for Duke, but was on the club rugby team. (Maybe you weren't saying otherwise but just wanted to clear it up.). I'd agree that it's pretty amazing that Snyderwine came out of obscurity to be such an amazing kicker. I'm sure a lot of hard work went into that. The accolades are well-deserved. Congratulations!

Nicely done. Sign of a program on the rise, now we need to keep those slimy agents that hang around Chapel Hill away from our All-American.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Will Snyderwine was found during the open tryouts, so obviously they were key to the current state of the kicking. He wasn't recruited to kick for Duke, but was on the club rugby team. (Maybe you weren't saying otherwise but just wanted to clear it up.). I'd agree that it's pretty amazing that Snyderwine came out of obscurity to be such an amazing kicker. I'm sure a lot of hard work went into that. The accolades are well-deserved. Congratulations!
    I was referring to the state of kicking coughjoesurgancough being poor enough to require open tryouts for kicker. IIRC, those tryouts happened during more than 1 season. I believe the first turned up Nick Maggio, who could at least kick XP's while Surgan continued to handle kickoffs and long field goals.

Excellent! What a turnaround. Placekicking went from embarassing to great with Will on board.

A Duke All-American football player! May the Cutcliffe years bring many more.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I was referring to the state of kicking coughjoesurgancough being poor enough to require open tryouts for kicker. IIRC, those tryouts happened during more than 1 season. I believe the first turned up Nick Maggio, who could at least kick XP's while Surgan continued to handle kickoffs and long field goals.
    Maggio was an all state kicker out of california i believe....he was NOT a product of open tryouts

maggio was never a great kicker...he was so so on extra points and often missed short field goes...cost us multiple games (wake and UNC there may be others)
    1200. DDMF.

1st Team AFCA All-American, 2nd Team All-ACC...

Maggio is a scholarship kicker from Kansas. He was a so-so 50 for 50 on PATs.

Congrats to Snyderwine.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Yep, it is pretty amazing:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footb...112910aac.html

Conner Vernon was also named 2nd Team All-ACC, while Abraham Kromah was Honorable Mention.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Yep, it is pretty amazing:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footb...112910aac.html

Conner Vernon was also named 2nd Team All-ACC, while Abraham Kromah was Honorable Mention.
    The Va Tech kicker Hazley had a pretty spectacular year as well. But Snyderwine had an extra couple of 40+ yarders - which perhaps put him over the top. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The Va Tech kicker Hazley had a pretty spectacular year as well. But Snyderwine had an extra couple of 40+ yarders - which perhaps put him over the top. Who knows.
    Hazley 19-20 FG long of 52
    Snyderwine 21-24 FG long of 52

One plus for Snyderwine...he also handled kick-offs which Hazley did not do.
    Snyderwine avgd. 64.7 yds on his kick-offs with 11 touchbacks; he's also pretty good at onside kicks.

At any rate, Snyderwine has done a terrific job in what was a perennial weak area for Duke.

Congratulations, Will!!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Maggio was an all state kicker out of california i believe....he was NOT a product of open tryouts

maggio was never a great kicker...he was so so on extra points and often missed short field goes...cost us multiple games (wake and UNC there may be others)
    I figured out why I missed it. Maggio was recruited as a punter, not a kicker, at least according to scout, which is the only service that differentiates between the two.

snyderwine

Congrats to Snyderwine ...

You can argue whether he or Hosley was the best field goal kicker in the ACC, but where Snyderwine deserves props is his kickoffs. He was, hands down, the best kickoff man in the ACC -- long when he needed to be, directional when he needed to be and successful on four onside kicks -- two more than the rest of the ACC combined (plus he would have had a fifth except Walt Canty was off-side on his try against UNC).

Best of all ... we've got the guy for another year.

PS Interesting that Alex King, our punter, is also an un-recruited walk-on. He took over Kevin Jones in the Wake game (when Jones dropped a snap, then gave Wake a TD when he tried to pick the ball up instead of falling on it. Kingt did a great job, averaging 41.1 yards a kick. He was great at placement -- he had just five touchbacks and 18 kicks downed inside the 20.

Congratulations, Will! How exciting for the program!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Hazley 19-20 FG long of 52
    Snyderwine 21-24 FG long of 52

One plus for Snyderwine...he also handled kick-offs which Hazley did not do.
    Snyderwine avgd. 64.7 yds on his kick-offs with 11 touchbacks; he's also pretty good at onside kicks.

At any rate, Snyderwine has done a terrific job in what was a perennial weak area for Duke.
    To add to this, the year prior to Coach Cut, we made a grand total of 3 Field Goals for the entire year...

Congrats to Will. Very much deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    I was wondering if someone else had read/noticed this. Wonder if Jim, Al or Bill Brill will have any additional comments about this event.