Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 725
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I would start:
    Marshall
    Bullock
    Henson
    Barnes
    Zeller
    So would most of the fans. There's no way Roy starts three freshman this early in the season.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    So would most of the fans. There's no way Roy starts three freshman this early in the season.
    I wonder, though, how soon that lineup might play a majority of minutes and be in the game to finish it. Well, excepting maybe Henson at the end of games. That kid is a terrible free throw shooter.

    One additional problem would be Drew. Very fragile psyche it seems to me. I wouldn't be surprised if Williams didn't start him, but with Marshall actually getting more minutes before ACC play begins.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    I was disappointed with much that I saw last night, but the end result was a win, so we take what we can from it and move on. Zeller, Strickland, and Drew reverted back to last years ways. Strickland didn't look confident last night. He looked like HB did in last weeks exhibition game. Drew looks lackadaisical. I made the comment last night that perhaps playing against our defense in practice is not a good form of preparation for playing against college defenses. Wish our defense could be coached by K. I don't know if its technique or effort, but our guys just don't guard the ball well. The help defense we play will be eaten up by Duke. And, if Duke is on, 82-50 may be a possibility.

    I think Lipscomb was a tough opponent for UNC because they were an experienced group. They returned their entire starting five, which I understand most of them would not play on an ACC team, but still- they have experience. Lipscomb game-planned to stop UNC and UNC just planned to go out and execute their own game. I think the team with more talent won, as they should, but it wasn't the performance that was expected.

    The IC moderators mentioned in an article that the heat on Drew maybe affecting him. They also said that it appears that replacing him with KM may create some chemistry issues. I remember when Paulas was replaced in the starting lineup a few years ago, I thought to myself that it may affect team chemistry. To my eyes, it did. Kind of like the 93-94 team UNC had where Stackhouse and Wallace deserved to start, but for chemistry reason, Dean played the upper-classmen. I believe that allowing an upper-classmen to start, but give the under-classmen starter minutes is the way to go. One things for sure, Drew sat the bench at the end of the game cause he couldn't make free throws and because he looked dangerous (in a bad way) with the ball. As far as Strickland, if he wants to continue to start, he better wake up. Bullock played great last night and I expect more of the same from him.
    First game of a long season. This team has a lot of time to gel and they have the talent. The issues with Drew however are a concern. UNC needs its point guard to be playing well. Chemistry will make or break this team. If they start winning- then it will come together but a few tough losses - coupled with folks looking over their shoulder- and who knows. It is all about confidence.
    dukelifer

  4. #24
    I wasn't impressed with UNC at all. Zeller will be a good scorer down low and will average double figures this season. Henson is a beast when it come to blocked shots and rebounds but is one of the worst offensive players Ive seen in a UNC uniform. Drew II is the exact same as last year. Barnes didn't impress at all! Average player IMO (but it is just one game)

    The 2 surprises for me is Bullock, much better than i would have thought. He can rebound and has a nice feel for the game and Marshall looked really good in the offense. I wouldn't be surprised if he started over Drew. just my 2 cents.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durham
    I am surprised everyone is so down on Drew. I think he still has the potential to be quite a good player, and I like him alot more than Marshall. The thing I am getting sick of (already) is the praise for HB. He is a very good, well rounded, player with a game much more mature than his years. But when I hear words like "explosive" and "lightening quick" to describe him, I'm just not seeing it with my eyes. To me, I see him having a year very similar to Kyle's freshman year...which is obviously very good for a freshman but at the same time not living up to the incredible amount of hype surrounding him.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I saw where Roy was ranting about door locks during the post game press conference. I can't stop laughing about that one. I can't decide if he was trying to divert the attention away from his team's unimpressive performance or if he was really worried about people taking him seriously without his jacket. Maybe if he hadn't dressed like a magician, and put HB in a pumpkin costume, his seriousness wouldn't be in question.

    One thing is for certain though.... Coach K will now have to replace all of the door locks with crappier ones to prevent Duke from having an unfair recruiting advantage.
    “There are five fundamental qualities that make every team great: communication, trust, collective responsibility, caring and pride. I like to think of each as a separate finger on the fist. Any one individually is important. But all of them together are unbeatable.”

    -Coach K

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the couch
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    I am surprised everyone is so down on Drew. I think he still has the potential to be quite a good player, and I like him alot more than Marshall. The thing I am getting sick of (already) is the praise for HB. He is a very good, well rounded, player with a game much more mature than his years. But when I hear words like "explosive" and "lightening quick" to describe him, I'm just not seeing it with my eyes. To me, I see him having a year very similar to Kyle's freshman year...which is obviously very good for a freshman but at the same time not living up to the incredible amount of hype surrounding him.


    I don't think anyone could live up to this hype. No one has in the past, because no other freshman in the history of pre-season AA teams has been named to the 1st team. I'm telling anyone who will listen, that this is an ENORMOUS amount of pressure to put on a kid. He will have to be very special to not have problems with it this year, because the media has built him up, and they love to tear down what they build up!! To be honest, I hate to see it, because I think (Skype withstanding) that he is probably a good kid who just happened to pick the wrong school.

    As far as LDII, I agree. He is not as bad as he is made out to be, but I do think that he is starting to believe the criticism and begin to have some self doubt. I could see it last night in his facial expressions and body language. He was on a short leash before the season, and last night did nothing to help his case, UNC may be on the verge of losing him (mentally).

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post
    Just peeked at the boxscore and saw the game highlight on ESPN. They are really trying to boost Barnes into a world-beater. They showed highlights of him for 30 seconds, nothing on Zeller, little on Henson, though they did say Henson had the most complete game at the wrap-up on the score screen.

    I think most UNC fans would say they are disappointed with his performance against a cupcake team. Though Barnes can't stop what the media writes about him, in the end, his expectations are rocket high and as a NPOY candidate and 1st team preseason All-American, he's going to have a lot of pressure to deliver without a freshman learning curve.

    His response to the inter-squad scrimmage and his poor performance in the last exhibition game was to stay in the gym and practices for hours alone in the deep night. I like the work ethic and the focus, but I think the young man may implode if he putting this level of pressure on himself before things really start rolling. The UNC fanbase is not forgiving. Though his performance wasn't necessarily poor today, it definitely wasn't first team All-American worthy.
    I watched the game and those highlights ESPN showed are about all that stood out for Harrison Barnes who had a quiet 16 points, after hitting his first shot.

    So if he does start to show that flash, Barnes could rack up some impressive stats.

    When I try to factor in all the stats including shooting %'s,

    Rating UNC Player

    54 John Henson

    46 Tyler Zeller
    46 Harrison Barnes

    34 Reggie Bullock
    32 Larry Drew II

    29 Kendall Marshall
    26 Dexter Strickland
    22 Leslie McDonald
    20 Justin Knox

    16 Justin Watts

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    I watched the game and those highlights ESPN showed are about all that stood out for Harrison Barnes who had a quiet 16 points, after hitting his first shot.

    So if he does start to show that flash, Barnes could rack up some impressive stats.

    When I try to factor in all the stats including shooting %'s,

    Rating UNC Player

    54 John Henson

    46 Tyler Zeller
    46 Harrison Barnes

    34 Reggie Bullock
    32 Larry Drew II

    29 Kendall Marshall
    26 Dexter Strickland
    22 Leslie McDonald
    20 Justin Knox

    16 Justin Watts
    What's the formula you use for this?

    -jk

  10. #30
    I have to say is wow. At one point in the game lipscomb was shooting below 30 percent from the floor, but only down by 6. On paper you say that's good d from unc, but fact was that lipscomb just stunk more last night then unc. Barns did not show me anything but his jumping and running. His Defence was laughable (can't wait till he has to put up with Kyle) at best. I know its the first game and all but come on, your the number two player out of high school. When the heels had the ball he was defended by a 6'3 gaurd. There where countless times he got the ball one on one and couldn't get by his man and had to pass it.

    This team could be really good if Roy didn't coach them, he needs to just recruit for them and let someone else coach.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by meloveduke View Post
    I have to say is wow. At one point in the game lipscomb was shooting below 30 percent from the floor, but only down by 6. On paper you say that's good d from unc, but fact was that lipscomb just stunk more last night then unc. Barns did not show me anything but his jumping and running. His Defence was laughable (can't wait till he has to put up with Kyle) at best. I know its the first game and all but come on, your the number two player out of high school. When the heels had the ball he was defended by a 6'3 gaurd. There where countless times he got the ball one on one and couldn't get by his man and had to pass it.

    This team could be really good if Roy didn't coach them, he needs to just recruit for them and let someone else coach.
    Roy couldn't help it. His influence as a coach was hurt last night by the fact that the locks kept him from getting his suit jacket. You can't be taken seriously as a businessman without a suit and tie! He was helpless out there! Once he gets rid of the childproor locks, he will be back to good Ol' Roy out there (still incompetent, but, at least, confident).

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    Roy couldn't help it. His influence as a coach was hurt last night by the fact that the locks kept him from getting his suit jacket. You can't be taken seriously as a businessman without a suit and tie! He was helpless out there! Once he gets rid of the childproor locks, he will be back to good Ol' Roy out there (still incompetent, but, at least, confident).
    The suitcoat was just a ruse, ol' roy was using a clever ploy to prove that there was a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox ...

    They laughed at him and made jokes but he proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and he'd have produced that key if they hadn't sounded the horn for the second half. He knows now they were only trying to protect some fellow unc employees ...



  13. #33
    I have yet to be impressed with harrison barnes' play but he surely will have his moments this season. If Ol Roy knows whats good for him He'll be going with

    Marshall
    Henson
    Bullock
    Barnes
    Zeller

    as it stands right now Henson may be their most valuable player IMO.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I saw their game against D3 Libscomb and I can truthfully say, THEY SUCK!

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by meloveduke View Post
    Barnes.... I know it's the first game and all but come on, you're the number two player out of high school....
    A delicious throwaway line. Just can't let it pass without a salute.

  16. #36
    Their freshmen looked good though, however I don't see why Barnes gets so much hype.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Harrison Barnes is not very explosive at all. Very good yes, but nowhere near the John Wall type of talent he was hyped to be.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    Harrison Barnes is not very explosive at all. Very good yes, but nowhere near the John Wall type of talent he was hyped to be.
    QUIET dammit!

    Just let that unc hype machine keep churning out harrison sausage and telling us its Prime Beef. If hb is exposed as being a smart, talented player with limited athleticsm (you know - like a Dukie ) he might stick around for a couple of years. I'd rather the press convince some NBA GM that hb is lottery material - it only takes one. And you know that there are enough GMs that will ignore their own scouts and listen to the talking heads to make this feasible.

    So, shhhhhhh!

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    QUIET dammit!

    Just let that unc hype machine keep churning out harrison sausage and telling us its Prime Beef. If hb is exposed as being a smart, talented player with limited athleticsm (you know - like a Dukie ) he might stick around for a couple of years. I'd rather the press convince some NBA GM that hb is lottery material - it only takes one. And you know that there are enough GMs that will ignore their own scouts and listen to the talking heads to make this feasible.

    So, shhhhhhh!
    a quiet 16 pts in a season opener and he is overrated and a bust! UNC didn't have a player at the 1,2, or 3 that could have had a quiet 16 pts last year. If one of those guys would have scored 16 pts, it would have been shocking and quite noticeable.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    a quiet 16 pts in a season opener and he is overrated and a bust! UNC didn't have a player at the 1,2, or 3 that could have had a quiet 16 pts last year. If one of those guys would have scored 16 pts, it would have been shocking and quite noticeable.
    14 points. ESPN reported 16 by mistake in their first report. The second, and the stat line, says 14. It isn't that, it is the last exhibition thrown in with this. This is coupled by the fact that even during the All-American games down to right now, I have yet to see a single play that showed raw athleticism. He is great at trailing for a light dunk, but he is not ever one to bring down the house. The games, thus far, show him to be a pretty good shooter, and a smart 6'8 player. He reminds me more of a taller Scheyer than he reminds me of a John Wall. Nolan, Andre, and a couple others on our team seem to have more athleticism. His ceiling seems to be where Kyle is now IMO. I could be wrong, but this is who he seems to be after all of the footage available to me is watched.

    I would love to see him go to the NBA and continue to do his Michael Jordan impression in interviews. It is funny when average players do that. It would also be nice for UNC's "next Jordan" fall on his face in the NBA. The reason that this is true is that it would hurt your recruiting pitch. When you have a guy who you hype up this much, and he fails, it is gold for a coach who objectively looks at NBA performance of stars, "look what they did with Harrison Barnes." It will be a chance for our recruits to mentally take note of, "where is that guy?" I have a lot more confidence in Kyrie's athleticism, and coaching, taking him to success in the next level. He is at a tough position, but he has moves, will learn discipline, and he has that quality of athleticism that is so important at the highest level.
    Last edited by Gthoma2a; 11-14-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Roy Williams Is Already in Mid-Season Form
    By slower in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 11:26 AM
  2. Wash Post - Early Season Winners/Losers
    By gw67 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2007, 08:50 AM
  3. An Early Season Look at UNC
    By gw67 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 08:53 PM
  4. Early Season Look at ACC Stats
    By gw67 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 09:51 PM
  5. Loss in the early part of the season...
    By Kewlswim in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 08:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •